Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DRis View Post
WTF are you doing with three barrels? Ignoring the fact that I have .308s for hunting. Let's say I pick 6.8 or 6.5 for hunting. Now I how two uppers. One in 5.56 for fighting. And one for hunting. Two pins and I'm changed and zeroed. No wasted ammo. Nada. And really, they don't take up that much room so that's a null arguement. I've got a F150 so space isn't an issue. So I don't see a whole lot of good in the ACR. Yeah the controls may be on the same spot. But an upper with a bipod for hunting isn't used like an upper built for combat. So muscle memory isn't needed there. CH is in the back, mag release same spot, trigger feels the same. I don't see any advantages the ACR has over an AR.

Don't get me wrong. Of someone wants one get one. Hell, I want one in a couple years when they fix QC a bit and the advanced comes out. No need to justify a purchase. But some things actually aren't better than an AR platform.

And I say again. Have you read the reviews on it from arfcom? The barrel change out is BS. He used a 4lb sledge and a vice to get the barrel tight enough to compete with AR accuracy. You gonna have those tools on the move if SHTF?
Three barrels: 14.5" w/ pinned FH in 5.56 for home defense, 18" in 5.56 for 3gun competitions, 16" or 18" in 6.5 Grendel for hunting & general purpose combat out to 400yds. All three barrels tied together take up less space than a single AR upper with optic and can fit easily in a rucksack, right to the side of the main compartment, or in the front pocket of my soft rifle case. They could also fit in the bottom compartment just inside my door panel Definitely not a null argument for those of us who live in small apartments, drive tiny commuter cars, and would like to be able to hump all their gear on their persons in a bug-out situation. You've got an F-150 that's big enough to fit a couple of families' worth of gear, but that's YOU, not me. A single rifle makes a lot of sense for MY situation and might make sense for the OP.

And muscle memory is big, big, big for me. 95% of the time, I'm using my rifle in situations where there's a shot timer running, and I'm aiming for 0.2sec splits, 2.5sec mag changes, and 5sec malfunction clearing. To get those times, every action has to be automatic and ingrained deeply into muscle memory. It's something I have to practice daily at home for months to someday achieve.

Yeah, I admit, the ACR has bugs. I fully expect them to work out the problem with the interchangeable barrels so that they can be swapped with no tools in the field (as was intended) and maintain accuracy (probably by ACR version 2 and definitely by version 3). And no, I don't plan on carrying a sledge and vise in the field, but neither do I plan on carrying more than one upper, if I had an AR. If in the field on foot, the rifle I got is the only rifle I've got and might even be the only firearm I've got. I'd be lucky to have the little bundle of extra barrels in my ruck. Even if I had a car in a bug-out SHTF situation, I'd not carry more than one rifle, one shotgun, and two handguns, with all the mags and ammo to run them. There would barely be enough room for extra food and water, so all other guns and gear would be left behind. Considering that all the roads out of SoCal would be parking lots in a SHTF bug-out situation, including those "secret" dirt roads through the backwoods, having to hump all my gear on my person is a very likely scenario. I don't know about you, but a 30lb ruck with 35lbs of guns and ammo is a helluva load to carry on my back for even a few hundred yards, much less 100 miles. Hell, a super-lightweight SCAR is looking awful attractive right now, over the heavier ACR.

It sounds to me like you're more of a hunter than a tactical/competition guy, so yes, the ACR wouldn't hold much appeal for you. It is, after all, the Adaptive Combat Rifle. For us competition/tactical guys, it makes a lot more sense.

Last edited by dchang0; 04-11-2010 at 12:20 AM..
Old 04-11-2010, 9:02 AM

I hear what your saying. And I kind of understand. But your still digging yourself into a hole. Now your talking about possibly bugging out on foot. Now are you going to have extra ammo to zero when you do barrel changes? HUGE downside. Losing zero wrecks everything. Again, not saying the ACR is crap, just saying that for that particular instance it's not cool.

As for range trips. When you go to the range, your going to have to swap barrels, zero, shoot competition or target or whatever. Then swap barrels again and rezero. Taking 3-4x as long, hell, possibly 10x's longer than 2 pins with a already zero'd optic. Competion reasons would highly suggest the AR over the ACR. And yes I shoot competitivly. But only pistol.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 AM

Somebody really likes their AR and doesnt see the ACR as an improvement

Dont get me wrong, I love my AR, but its about time for "the next best thing." (haha) Even though its $2400+. But if the S ever HTF, then I'd take my AK and if I had it, an ACR with a 6.5/6.8 barrel in it and an extra 5.56 barrel for it. Those 2 rifles should take care of everything I need..

Preference, budget, training/familiarity, etc etc, all play a role as to why one may want or need the ACR. Different strokes for different folks..
Old 04-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfried View Post
I don't understand what your trying to get at?

It's something different and "new-ish" in design. Why would anyone need an AR? An AK? FAL? HK's? Any handgun beside a 1911?

It's a big deal for anyone that's a gun nut because it's something I DON'T HAVE!
You said it with two words.... "GUN NUT". Its also a CA thing. Us Californians just plain like to have new stuff.
Old 04-11-2010, 3:10 PM

I do like the AR. And if you read all the posts you'll even see where I said I want an ACR. I just don't think it's all that and more. Or even an improvement.

Hell I want an ACR and a SCAR. Just trying to help those who may not know all about it about some of the downsides to it.