Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2018, 12:54 AM

Okay so I can't find info on guns owned before 2001. I have a friend with an inherited Norinco that his grandfather left him in 1998. If it was in aw setup would that still be legal? Someone told me guns received before 1999 can still be in aw setup is that true?
Old 06-14-2018, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reklezvoxer View Post
Okay so I can't find info on guns owned before 2001. I have a friend with an inherited Norinco that his grandfather left him in 1998. If it was in aw setup would that still be legal? Someone told me guns received before 1999 can still be in aw setup is that true?
Your friend is in possession of a felony. That should have been registered in his name in another registration long time ago and not need a bullet button. Norinco is banned by name and can't be registered now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2018, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVB View Post
All I get is this "The California Reporting Information System (CRIS) is currently unavailable.". I would think site availability would be critical to the legality of this.
The website is only accessible from the USA. If you are using a VPN maybe it is bouncing through a foreign server and getting blocked?
Old 06-14-2018, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
The receiver on this one (LCW purchased 2008) did not have caliber markings of any kind on it (not even "Multi"). Submitted as Multi and got pics of the 556 markings on the barrel.
In that case, you send a picture of the caliber markings on the barrel and select the same caliber on the application (.556).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
The other rifle that worries me was a "Multi" marked lower.... Could not find any caliber marking on the visible portions of the barrel.... The side of the upper receiver itself did have a "5.56" logo on it, so I submitted a picture of that.
If the lower/receiver has caliber markings, nothing else matters. If yours is "multi" then you select "interchangeable barrels." (I don't think "upper receiver" is an actual term? The lower is the receiver.)

The above are the established DOJ expectations. Be watching for kickbacks on these and/or submit an issue to reopen them and fix them proactively.
Old 06-14-2018, 6:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmedave View Post
Quote:
Your friend is in possession of a felony. That should have been registered in his name in another registration long time ago and not need a bullet button. Norinco is banned by name and can't be registered now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Not all Norincos are banned by name. I have a Norinco BWK92 that was DROSed normally and is now being registered as an AB1135/SB880 Assault Weapon. There are others that were not named that are still legal and are now registerable. Look at the list on top of page 2 here: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 06-14-2018, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
It sounds like you are trying to share one CFARS account between you and your spouse.

When you create a CFARS account, the account is for one individual. Your spouse will have to create a separate CFARS account with a different User Name and Password from you. Once she does that, she puts all of her basic info into "My User Profile" and that info does not change from one firearm to another.

As the primary registrant, assuming it is you, enters the firearm info, the registrant info is automatically filled in with your info (DOB, address, email, etc.) when it is under your CFARS account.

When she is ready to joint register the firearms, you hit Log Off on the upper right corner, which closes your CFARS account. Then she enters her User Name and Password. Now her CFARS account is open, and she can enter the firearm info, while her personal info (DOB, address, email, etc.) is automatically filled in by the system.

So, to summarize, you and your spouse will have to have separate accounts with different assigned User Names and Passwords, each one of you need to fill out the "My User Profile" page, then the system automatically populates the personal info fields as you enter each firearm.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for this confirmation. It looks like it was some glitch in the system when creating my wifes account. I basically created a fresh account with all of her info and after her profile was filled out and submitted it somehow must have linked my profile info to hers. I had already submitted a registration back in April and received my letter. Anyway, I went back into her profile and changed the name back to hers and it seemed to repopulate the form with her name. This is why I was so confused because I was not sure if the system was automatically adding the primary info into the joint registrant forms on purpose or some random glitch. Doubled checked her profile a few times after submitting and it seems to be fixed. All should have been avoided if they had just allowed us to add all the joint registrant info all on one application. Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-14-2018, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The website is only accessible from the USA. If you are using a VPN maybe it is bouncing through a foreign server and getting blocked?

Wrong. I'm in CA, Sunnyvale to be exact, site worked minutes before when I create an account. I tried to create another account and get into my new account. Same error.
It was down for over 20 minutes from when I made that post. Do we get 20 more minutes after July 1st to register now? If there isn't any other method of registration I think this is an issue, actually a pretty big deal.
Old 06-14-2018, 7:54 AM

Default Compliance made difficult or impossible

Quote:
Seems to me a fair argument. Particularly where particular groups are targeted. Those who for some reason lack access or means or ability for compliance.
Old 06-14-2018, 8:13 AM

Anyway, the process is pretty straight forward and easy. They really should put date pickers in that form though. I hope my overlords are happy now.
Old 06-14-2018, 8:32 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I've actually experienced this, I've tried accessing the website from both Canada and Europe on numerous occasions and it has never worked.
Old 06-14-2018, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Not all Norincos are banned by name. I have a Norinco BWK92 that was DROSed normally and is now being registered as an AB1135/SB880 Assault Weapon. There are others that were not named that are still legal and are now registerable. Look at the list on top of page 2 here: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
So it is a Norinco ak 47 and it was legal when he got it but failure to register it as an aw back in 1999 or 2001 when they did it the first time means he now has an unregisterable aw? Is that correct?
Old 06-14-2018, 9:17 AM

So Im gonna pull the trigger today to incriminate myself under these draconian unconstitutional laws...

Since I have "MULTI" engraved for caliber I should choose "Firearm With Interchangeable Barrels" vs current config as ".223"??
Old 06-14-2018, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMartin1776 View Post
So Im gonna pull the trigger today to incriminate myself under these draconian unconstitutional laws...

Since I have "MULTI" engraved for caliber I should choose "Firearm With Interchangeable Barrels" vs current config as ".223"??
Yes
Old 06-14-2018, 9:31 AM

Has anyone had their rifle registration rejected?
Old 06-14-2018, 9:46 AM

Quote:
So it is a Norinco ak 47 and it was legal when he got it but failure to register it as an aw back in 1999 or 2001 when they did it the first time means he now has an unregisterable aw? Is that correct?
Yup.
Old 06-14-2018, 9:50 AM

What exact wording do you recommend using in the comments section for a rifle with a muzzle brake? I hesitate to say "muzzle device is a muzzle brake, not a flash suppressor"
Should I be concerned that merely typing the words "flash suppressor" will raise a flag?

Maybe :
-RIFLE IS EQUIPPED WITH A MUZZLE BRAKE
-MUZZLE DEVICE IS A MUZZLE BRAKE
- RIFLE IS EQUIPPED WITH MUZZLE BRAKE TYPE MUZZLE DEVICE

What sounds best? again, I hesitate to even say the words "flash suppressor", and I don't want to mark the flash suppressor box if it doesn't have one.

"You should feel good after registering your "assault weapons" knowing that you may have saved lives."

Last edited by ers1978; 06-14-2018 at 9:56 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-14-2018, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVB View Post
All I get is this "The California Reporting Information System (CRIS) is currently unavailable.". I would think site availability would be critical to the legality of this.
CRIS goes down daily around 2330 to 2400 for reasons they never explained.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ers1978 View Post
What exact wording do you recommend using in the comments section for a rifle with a muzzle brake? I hesitate to say "muzzle device is a muzzle brake, not a flash suppressor"
Should I be concerned that merely typing the words "flash suppressor" will raise a flag?

Maybe :
-RIFLE IS EQUIPPED WITH A MUZZLE BRAKE
-MUZZLE DEVICE IS A MUZZLE BRAKE
- RIFLE IS EQUIPPED WITH MUZZLE BRAKE TYPE MUZZLE DEVICE

What sounds best? again, I hesitate to even say the words "flash suppressor", and I don't want to mark the flash suppressor box if it doesn't have one.

"You should feel good after registering your "assault weapons" knowing that you may have saved lives."
Nothing! You are allowed to have FH on registered AW. Just check all applicable features on your submission.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 AM

I'm just going by what I read in the assault weapons registration guide. There was some advice saying to put something in the comments about the rifle being able to use a barrel 16" and greater, and I thought something about muzzle devices. Or should I use the "less is more" approach? If I don't say something they may have a question, and if I do say something they may have a question.

I know I'm allowed to have a flash hider, and I know I need to check the box if that's what I have, but do these people know the difference between a flash hider and a muzzle brake? Are they going to see some device on the end of my barrel and ask what it is? Just figured that if in the comments it said "RIFLE IS EQUIPPED WITH MUZZLE BRAKE TYPE MUZZLE DEVICE" then this would answer that question

Last edited by ers1978; 06-14-2018 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-14-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Tungsten View Post
Yup.
So was it legal between when he got it and the first of this year or has it been illegal this whole time
Old 06-14-2018, 10:26 AM

When registering- If I have 1 in my cart (not my pending cart) and I log out, will it still be in my cart later when I log on? Or do I need to pay before logging out to avoid losing what I've entered so far?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
When registering- If I have 1 in my cart (not my pending cart) and I log out, will it still be in my cart later when I log on? Or do I need to pay before logging out to avoid losing what I've entered so far?
It gets moved to pending cart on log out or session time out.

When you log back in you have to move pending cart to regular cart before adding anything else to your cart as the bug in their system will not let you move it from pending cart once you add another one to cart. If you do this you will have to delete and reenter the one from pending cart to not have to do another transaction/$15

Same goes if you have two or three or four or....they will end up in pending cart.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
So was it legal between when he got it and the first of this year or has it been illegal this whole time
I am not a lawyer, but without make and model it's hard to tell. It could possibly have been illegal this whole time.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM

Ok so, always move from “pending cart” to “cart” when logging back in, and before adding any additional firearms. Correct? I have quite a few to do and have trouble finding an entire day to devote to doing this. Will most likely do in groups as one person suggested, rifles, homebuilt rifles, homebuilt pistols.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMartin1776 View Post

So I just moved my volreg pending records to the Cart, went to Checkout, paid, got email receipt but not seeing anything in my account now?
"Pending Invoices (0)"

Nothing comes up when I click on "My Issue Log" either

Is this how it works??
Old 06-14-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Ok so, always move from “pending cart” to “cart” when logging back in, and before adding any additional firearms. Correct? I have quite a few to do and have trouble finding an entire day to devote to doing this. Will most likely do in groups as one person suggested, rifles, homebuilt rifles, homebuilt pistols.
Correct! That's how I did it add few a day then check out pay $15 for all.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:04 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
I know I'm allowed to have a flash hider, and I know I need to check the box if that's what I have, but do these people know the difference between a flash hider and a muzzle brake? Are they going to see some device on the end of my barrel and ask what it is? Just figured that if in the comments it said "RIFLE IS EQUIPPED WITH MUZZLE BRAKE TYPE MUZZLE DEVICE" then this would answer that question
Correct - Don't check the "flash hider" box, because it isn't one. Put a comment that says the muzzle device is a "muzzle brake, not a flash hider". That should suffice, and preemptively answer any questions they might have. I submitted a few with muzzle brakes like that, and DOJ never questioned them.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:06 PM

Also, I’ll be joint registering all of mine with my wife. Does each firearm get its own CRIS number? And then we enter these later in our joint applicants account ?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:38 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Also, I’ll be joint registering all of mine with my wife. Does each firearm get its own CRIS number? And then we enter these later in our joint applicants account ?
Ya, as soon as you submit your app, each firearm gets a CRIS number assigned to it, and you'll enter that number on the respective joint app for each firearm.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:50 PM

I have a muzzle brake on my rifle, but when I registered. I don't know what possessed me to check off "Flash Suppressor." And on the comments section, I put down, "Flash hider is permanently pinned." Of course, I didn't catch this until after i paid my fee.

Should I be expecting a knock on the door?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:56 PM

Finally got my registration letter today. Approximately 6 weeks after getting the first of my several registration confirmation/approval emails.

I was hoping that I would get individual emails for all my registrations, but instead they put them all on one document. I think I'm gonna get it tattooed on my face so I'll never have to worry.
Old 06-14-2018, 1:01 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettc8 View Post
I have a muzzle brake on my rifle, but when I registered. I don't know what possessed me to check off "Flash Suppressor." And on the comments section, I put down, "Flash hider is permanently pinned." Of course, I didn't catch this until after i paid my fee.

A knock on the door? No. One of two things will happen:

1) They miss your mistake, and process your app.

2) They catch your mistake, and send you an email asking you to fix it.

I'm not sure why everyone is so paranoid about flash hiders lately. They're perfectly legal to use on anything except for featureless semiauto rifles.
Old 06-14-2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
A knock on the door? No. One of two things will happen:

1) They miss your mistake, and process your app.

2) They catch your mistake, and send you an email asking you to fix it.

I'm not sure why everyone is so paranoid about flash hiders lately. They're perfectly legal to use on anything except for featureless semiauto rifles.
Thx for your clarification. I figured I'm in the clear, but just wanted to check with y'alls to be sure. With all the new regs since 2016, it's been hard to keep track on what's kosher and not.
Old 06-14-2018, 1:15 PM
Veteran Member

It's a mystery why they put the brake or flash hider identifiers in the AW reg for any legal or functional purposes. The fact is it matters not legally what is on the firearm during AW reg, we can have flash hiders or comps or both or neither. We can also assume after the reg that we can have any permutation we want.

We also know that a flash hider or comps function is determined by what the original manufacturer said it was. This is another dimension on confusion, because most comps or flash hiders don't have any markings as to who made them. The company could be out of business. It could have never said what it was when they were in business. New CA savy manufacturers are sending out letters with their muzzle devices saying that they are in fact comps and not flash hiders now, knowing that what they claim it is is what the law will recognize.

The real logical reason to put the identifiers on the reg form is to throw up another point of confusion to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt. They could have also included identifiers like if our barrels were right or left hand twist- meaningless info designed to dissuade people from registering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 06-14-2018, 3:51 PM

Update: I received my registration letter in the mail today. Glad I didn't procrastinate too much. It took a little over 6 weeks to receive the letter in the mail. Here's the timeline:

April 30 - Submission application through CFARS.

June 4 - Received an email requesting model number change. Resubmitted application with the change on the same day.

June 4 - Received "approval" email stating results will be mailed.

June 12 - Letter sent by DOJ.

June 14 - Letter received in the mail.

I feel sorry for those that think they'll be able to submit an application the last day. The registration portal is extremely finicky. Beware that the CFARs registration portal periodically shuts down at around 11 p.m. for some sort of maintenance mode.

Last edited by anmrls; 06-14-2018 at 3:59 PM..
Old 06-14-2018, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettc8 View Post

No. You're just gonna get a kickback asking to correct your application in the worst case. Or they accept your gun as-is.
Old 06-14-2018, 4:28 PM

Is it ok to have a .pdf of the registration letter on my phone when I visit the range or do I absolutely need a paper copy?
Old 06-14-2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverser View Post
Is it ok to have a .pdf of the registration letter on my phone when I visit the range or do I absolutely need a paper copy?
You are not required to carry the registration letter.

Truth be told the way they have set up this registration process I suspect there will be a computer database with pictures that is accessible to LE.

As stated prior I have PDF version of my 89/00 letter on my phone, on my computers, in the cloud, a 1/4 shrunk version laminated in my pistol grip compartments, in my safes ,and in my range bags. Got to be careful not to loose it as it would give a shopping list for the bad guys and where to go to get some guns to do some robbing and thieving.

Carrying proof is only to discourage an overzealous LE from confiscating your firearm while he investigates its legality, (then I believe you might have to do that check every 30 days if it is releasable -they are not obligated to notify you if it is but are able to seize/destroy it 30 days after making a determination being released and not being claimed) plus I believe a non-refundable $100 fee and a form for each check on if it is releasable so it gets expensive and is a time consuming process that will likely cost you more than the firearm is worth.

Carrying proof allows you to file a complaint of harassment and/or embarrass the LE/department if seized as you have the proof on hand that they ignored and maybe force the department to pay for some class time for the officers, and they do love those long old boring mandated training classes that result from settlements with civilians. The other LE will not appreciate being forced to take this class because of a co-worker not correctly performing his duties.

In the long run there is no criminal prosecution risk for not carrying your letter with you.
Old 06-14-2018, 5:03 PM

It is almost 4 weeks since I submitted and nothing. Just an email confirming the payment on the day that I submitted.

I check the CFARS website regularly and it is always showing it as "In Progress".

I am sure that other people are concerned about it like me, so please share your experience on how long you are waiting? What is the average time it takes now?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2018, 6:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maseratinut View Post
It is almost 4 weeks since I submitted and nothing. Just an email confirming the payment on the day that I submitted.

I check the CFARS website regularly and it is always showing it as "In Progress".

I am sure that other people are concerned about it like me, so please share your experience on how long you are waiting? What is the average time it takes now?

Thanks!
I have experienced two extremes.

The first submittal was on 4/24. A couple of correction "Incomplete Notice" emails came the next day and day after, mainly about my daughter's proof of residence. Then complete nothing until yesterday and today when "Submission Confirmation" emails on the guns trickled in. Still no letter in the mail as of today.

The opposite extreme was submitted on 6/5. The "Submission Confirmation" emails arrived the following day. They apparently approved the submittal 3 days later and mailed the letter. In 8 days, I have the letter in hand. Of course on the very last time, I have had enough practice LOL (4 waves of registration, 3 joint registrants each time)

My take away is that if any correction has to be done, your application gets significantly delayed. A squeaky clean application gets approved much faster!

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.