Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
I completed entered 4 guns into my "view cart" but did not check out. A few days later I check into my account and completed the information for a 5th gun which automatically went into my "pending cart". When I attempted to add it to my "view cart" to check out, I got an error message in red. "The owner of the transaction in cart is different from the owner of the pending report"
Has anyone run across this and can it be corrected.
Thanks
Yeah I got charged twice...
Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 AM

Received a letter from CA DOJ yesterday informing me my 7 rifles have been registered. Made a copy of the letter and put it in my range bag.

I previously received emails from CA DOJ letting me know there were some errors on my online form (I included BB, but didn't include pistol grip), but corrected those.

So submitted forms in September, received error notification emails in October, and then the successful registration letter in November. Pretty painless...other than having to register legally acquired, legal when purchased firearms.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can someone post the pics they submitted - that were accepted first time around - so we can see what works? Obviously blur out the serial number. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2017, 9:41 PM

The prospect of the average-joe gun owner being able to effectively register their weapons using CFARS and comply with every nuance of the law is laughable at best.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:36 PM

Why would the DoJ be exempt from the APA process since they created a new class (definition) of "assault weapon" (with Bullet-button)?

Just another gross-overstep by our dear leaders...

Old 11-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

More fun with CFARS. Even if your AW has interchangeable barrels and you mark it as such, if the picture you submit show a specific caliber, the DOJ will make you go back and change it. I also submitted a rifle using the model number on the DROS. DOJ says its wrong and I have to change it. When I log on to the website is shows the exception but won't let me correct them as "the file is under review". I submitted everything this week. At least I'm getting DOJ "error" messages very timely.
Old 11-17-2017, 1:16 PM

Quote:
More fun with CFARS. Even if your AW has interchangeable barrels and you mark it as such, if the picture you submit show a specific caliber, the DOJ will make you go back and change it. I also submitted a rifle using the model number on the DROS. DOJ says its wrong and I have to change it. When I log on to the website is shows the exception but won't let me correct them as "the file is under review". I submitted everything this week. At least I'm getting DOJ "error" messages very timely.
Same here regarding caliber and interchangeable barrels. They also forced me to change the manufacturer of my PAP AK to Zastava. I thought it would have been Century Arms.

Last edited by mutejosh; 11-17-2017 at 1:23 PM..
Old 11-17-2017, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yet again more CFARS. My Tavor must be specified as a Remington 223. I should have taken a picture of the right side of the gun that has no markings in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

I finally received the email stating the two factory receiver guns that I registered are being reviewed and I'll get the registration letter(s) in the mail.

Received yet again another notice on the pistol stating that it has to have a serial that they assigned me, and again I stated to them that I am deployed out of the country and will be gone until after the registration period is over and I can't engrave their serial on the gun until its to late, asked them what I should do. We shall see.
Old 11-18-2017, 2:06 PM

Just FYI -

My Reg got kicked backed to me, as others have. I reg'd (per advise here and the michele & assoc webinar) my AR pattern rifle as interchangeable barrel. Email said based on the pic's i provided, lower says 5.56mm, please go back and chose that option instead.

it only took a couple of days for them to review which is a good sign.

"personal security, personal liberty, and private property"--could not be maintained solely by law, for "in vain would these rights be declared, ascertained, and protected by the dead letter of the laws, if the constitution had provided no other method to secure their actual enjoyment." -
William Blackstone

Last edited by sreiter; 11-18-2017 at 2:09 PM..
Old 11-18-2017, 2:35 PM

Default AW registration measurement???

Guys Ive tried reading the AW registration bs, I had to stop when my head started pounding.
The question I couldn't find an answer to is, they tell you to measure the length of your rifle. What do you do if you multiple uppers?? Since the serial number for the lower is the same for all, I assume one needn't put in an app for ALL. That would be nuts, even for Calif.
I am sure that other questions will develop. This is all I can handle at the moment.
Thx!
Old 11-18-2017, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreiter View Post
Just FYI -

My Reg got kicked backed to me, as others have. I reg'd (per advise here and the michele & assoc webinar) my AR pattern rifle as interchangeable barrel. Email said based on the pic's i provided, lower says 5.56mm, please go back and chose that option instead.

it only took a couple of days for them to review which is a good sign.
So they saw "5.56" on your lower and kicked it back?

I forget-was that(apparently bad) advice to choose"interchangable barrel" while registering your AR-given for both 5.56 AND Multi marked lowers?

I'm still waiting a bit to reg-but have a couple rifles built on Aero "multi" marked lowers.

There is no "multi" dropdown or option on the website-correct?

Old 11-19-2017, 8:20 AM

Regarding 80% based “assault weapons”

The first report of someone getting a DOJ assigned serial number is in (see thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1400641)

Took about 3.5 months, though one can imagine that DOJ was getting the overall serial issuance database up and running so perhaps now they’ll start speeding up through any backlog.

Serial #s in the form of FMBUS#####

This combined with their own regulations, CA AG responses on the AW regulation lawsuit, etc. all make it pretty clear that CA DOJ will let you register your home built firearms but you’ll have to engrave their issued serial number first. But that will be possible before the deadline.

But if you’re in this boat don’t wait, send in BOF 1008 immediately to get your serial numbers.
Old 11-19-2017, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyabrad View Post
Can someone post the pics they submitted - that were accepted first time around - so we can see what works? Obviously blur out the serial number. Thanks!
I've posted this a few times. I submitted all 7 of mine like this and they were accepted..
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=392

However, after looking at a few recent posts, it seems the people reviewing the submissions want to see the Caliber clearly marked also. On my CMMG Mk3 there, it the caliber marking isnt stamped on the rifle.

So if the caliber marking isnt clear on the receiver, maybe submit an extra pic showing the caliber marking on the barrel or wherever else it might be. Same goes for make/model/serial/etc.

The DOJ was probably thinking the 4 photos they're requesting would have all the info they needed, but they're finding not all rifles are marked in the same manner.

Remember, with these submissions, you can submit extra info (notes, pics, etc). If your goal is to get the stuff registered as painless as possible, it probably couldnt hurt to include and extra pic or notes to explain something that might be unclear.

After all, they probably have a bunch of minimum wage temp employees processing these things.

Last edited by Crazed_SS; 11-19-2017 at 3:55 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD LAUNCHER View Post
So they saw "5.56" on your lower and kicked it back?

I forget-was that(apparently bad) advice to choose"interchangable barrel" while registering your AR-given for both 5.56 AND Multi marked lowers?

I'm still waiting a bit to reg-but have a couple rifles built on Aero "multi" marked lowers.

There is no "multi" dropdown or option on the website-correct?

I successfully registered an Aero marked multi. I chose 556.

Someone else here chose 556 on their Aero and it was kicked back stating they should choose "Multi"

There is no multi! lol..

I dunno.. If I were doing it again, I'd choose 556 and leave a note explaining, "The gun is 556. The only says multi" .. maybe toss in an extra pic of the barrel caliber marking.
Old 11-19-2017, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wondering if they will allow "interchangeable barrels" on my Ruger SR762. The receiver itself isn't marked multi nor does it indicate the caliber. Only the model "SR762" ?

Irregardless I don't see why one couldn't legally swap to another caliber upper at a latter date.
Old 11-19-2017, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca View Post
Wondering if they will allow "interchangeable barrels" on my Ruger SR762. The receiver itself isn't marked multi nor does it indicate the caliber. Only the model "SR762" ?

Irregardless I don't see why one couldn't legally swap to another caliber upper at a latter date.

Chuck Michel is of the opinion that the only thing you’re stuck with are the BB and 16” barrel. There is a raging debate is if you’re stuck with the CA 30” OAL, if you have to pin a muzzle extension, or you can use the Federal 26” OAL consistent with prior CA AW registrations. I submitted rifles clearly marked as multi caliber and haven’t got any push back yet. While they tagged my Tavor as 223 Remington, they as of yet have made no demanded I specify caliber for a Sig MPX or H&K USC. Unless you convert to 50 BMG, I’ve heard of no caliber change restrictions.
Old 11-19-2017, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Chuck Michel is of the opinion that the only thing you’re stuck with are the BB and 16” barrel. There is a raging debate is if you’re stuck with the CA 30” OAL, if you have to pin a muzzle extension, or you can use the Federal 26” OAL consistent with prior CA AW registrations. I submitted rifles clearly marked as multi caliber and haven’t got any push back yet. While they tagged my Tavor as 223 Remington, they as of yet have made no demanded I specify caliber for a Sig MPX or H&K USC. Unless you convert to 50 BMG, I’ve heard of no caliber change restrictions.
I don't remember reading anything that would lead me to believe that your even stuck with the same barrel length. BB is the only thing I recall them specifically outlining.
Old 11-19-2017, 7:41 PM
Veteran Member

DOJ is demanding from people different pictures with different barrels, etc. and it seems random and unstructured. There is nothing in the law, regulations, or anything written anywhere at any time that said you need to keep things in a certain configuration that would not allow different parts other than the receiver itself. You can even change the bullet button to a different bullet button, or at least one that is "like" it.

Some conversations on the phone have yielded mixed messages with regards to what they want and what they require in terms of accessories and different configs. There have been some reports that they want you do take a photo with all accessories you wish to use with that rifle.

This is all BS, especially because it doesn't seem to be a standard policy. In fact, everyone seems to be getting different information. If you call DOJ and ask directly, they usually play dumb. Sometimes they open up and then proceed to say different things.

I say you can't comply with a law or regulation that does not exist. If you get to a point where they demand something during the reg process, carefully save all correspondence and try to comply as best you can.

There is no mandate to keep anything the same on the rifle. Get it in there and registered and they can go to hell on the various accessories. Main point is to actually get it through the reg process, and you have to work with them. They obviously don't want us to register, so I always do what my enemy does not want me to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 11-19-2017, 7:50 PM
Veteran Member

Default AW Registration - The Complete Guide (everything we know so far)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca View Post
I don't remember reading anything that would lead me to believe that your even stuck with the same barrel length. BB is the only thing I recall them specifically outlining.

Correction, minimum barrel length remains at 16” via both fed and state law. You can change to a longer or different caliber barrel.

Last edited by Blade Gunner; 11-19-2017 at 10:57 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 10:35 PM

Default multi or 5.56

I have read every page of this discussion and I am going to register tomorrow. I have read of a lot of kickbacks from caliber confusions.

I have an Aero lower marked multi. I have a Daniel Defense upper clearly marked 5.56 in the picture. I am leaning towards checking the 5.56 box, because it is after all what the gun shoots.

Let me know what you think, thanks. What a mess.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
I have read every page of this discussion and I am going to register tomorrow. I have read of a lot of kickbacks from caliber confusions.

I have an Aero lower marked multi. I have a Daniel Defense upper clearly marked 5.56 in the picture. I am leaning towards checking the 5.56 box, because it is after all what the gun shoots.

Do you ever plan on shooting another caliber with another upper? I do, so I mark multi.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 11-19-2017, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
DOJ is demanding from people different pictures with different barrels, etc. and it seems random and unstructured. There is nothing in the law, regulations, or anything written anywhere at any time that said you need to keep things in a certain configuration that would not allow different parts other than the receiver itself. You can even change the bullet button to a different bullet button, or at least one that is "like" it.

Some conversations on the phone have yielded mixed messages with regards to what they want and what they require in terms of accessories and different configs. There have been some reports that they want you do take a photo with all accessories you wish to use with that rifle.

This is all BS, especially because it doesn't seem to be a standard policy. In fact, everyone seems to be getting different information. If you call DOJ and ask directly, they usually play dumb. Sometimes they open up and then proceed to say different things.

I say you can't comply with a law or regulation that does not exist. If you get to a point where they demand something during the reg process, carefully save all correspondence and try to comply as best you can.

There is no mandate to keep anything the same on the rifle. Get it in there and registered and they can go to hell on the various accessories. Main point is to actually get it through the reg process, and you have to work with them. They obviously don't want us to register, so I always do what my enemy does not want me to do.

Exactly correct. I followed your extensive and detailed posted instructions on how to register (which are greatly appreciated). Triple checked all the information against my DROS forms (and the DOJ provided record of firearms owned) and was bombarded by DOJ with demands for more pictures and requirements to make changes to my applications. I prefaced each change with “Per your direction”.

Old 11-20-2017, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

I registered a few in Oct. Got all but the AR kicked back, a couple because the guns had pinned folding/telescoping stocks and I didnt note that in the submission (kickback msg: Evil feature not checked) and a couple because serial wasnt visible in the pics.
Updated everything according to their asks and it went quite for about a month. A couple of days ago I got emails for two of the guns
"The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. "
Those were the only two I didnt check "multiple calibers" on, so we'll see where it lands for the others.
Old 11-20-2017, 1:44 PM

Quote:
they as of yet have made no demanded I specify caliber for a Sig MPX .
My MPX receivers are marked "MULTI-CAL."
Old 11-20-2017, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post

Depending on where the caliber marking is, you may be able to cover it with a pic rail ladder.
Old 11-20-2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Do you ever plan on shooting another caliber with another upper? I do, so I mark multi.
Wait-other posters have posted that there is no MULTI option for caliber on the DOJ site...

Are they missing something?

This post from the AW rejection thread is the one I'm referencing(rejection #2 in the post):

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1&postcount=56

Last edited by LEAD LAUNCHER; 11-20-2017 at 3:58 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

That's right, firearm with "interchangeable barrels". There is no multi.
Quote:

Old 11-20-2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
That's right, firearm with "interchangeable barrels". There is no multi.

http://media.riffsy.com/images/c4f0f...0c41/tenor.gif
Old 11-21-2017, 5:13 PM

Does anyone know how long it takes after getting the "The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail." email to get the approval letter in the mail?
Old 11-22-2017, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4irder2 View Post
Does anyone know how long it takes after getting the "The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via emailU.S. Mail." email to get the approval letter in the mail?

It is unpredictable. I received that email in early September for a pistol and still haven’t got confirmation in the mail

On the other hand, I received that confirmation email for a rifle in October after supplying new photos as requested and then got confirmation of registration in mail about a month later
Old 11-22-2017, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4irder2 View Post
Does anyone know how long it takes after getting the "The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail." email to get the approval letter in the mail?
I submitted on October 7th. I started receiving the emails that they would begin processing my submission at about 8:30am on the 9th and the last email came a couple days later. They were processed in the order of submission

The CFARS submissions for joint registration for my wife were also done on the 7th. She only ever received a single email. That email came on October 20th and was only for submission number 2

I was never asked for any clarifications or additional pictures.

My RAW letter came on November 15th. My wife's came the next day.
Old 11-22-2017, 9:54 AM

New, additional assault weapon-related regulations have been released today by CA DOJ/OAL: "Assault Weapons Definitions"

In their own words (quote from the regulations), these regulations are to "apply the definitions of terms in CCR section 5471 to the identification of assault weapons pursuant to PC section 30515, without limitation to context of the new registration process"

i.e., they want to add more stuff that they didn't think they could shoehorn into the rulemaking process exemption the "registration" regulations were bound to (even though most of us would argue they went way beyond those bounds already anyways)

For the document see: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1402321
Old 11-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
I submitted on October 7th. I started receiving the emails that they would begin processing my submission at about 8:30am on the 9th and the last email came a couple days later. They were processed in the order of submission

The CFARS submissions for joint registration for my wife were also done on the 7th. She only ever received a single email. That email came on October 20th and was only for submission number 2

I was never asked for any clarifications or additional pictures.

My RAW letter came on November 15th. My wife's came the next day.
Pretty fast
Old 11-23-2017, 1:25 PM

Great Thread. Thanks to everyone for creating this . I am getting ready to pull the trigger, pardon the pun, and submit next month. I was thinking, what are the people with 5, 10, 15 lowers doing. From what I saw on this post, you have to have a complete and functioning rifle. If you build out all your lowers, can you simply have a few uppers. Will the DOJ accept putting the same upper on varies lowers as a complete rifle? Do the guys will all these lowers have to have uppers for all their lowers? A unique upper for every lower?
Old 11-23-2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Depending on where the caliber marking is, you may be able to cover it with a pic rail ladder.
I have several Aero stripped lowers marked multi that have been assembled and set up with various caliber barrels. All have 15" hand guards so the barrel markings are not visible unless the HG is removed. Should I just select "interchangeable barrel" and leave it at that? Or do I need to list the calibre in the notes section. I do want to be able to change them at a later date.

I really don't want to remove all of these hand guards to try and get barrel calibre marking photos.
Old 11-23-2017, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGuy View Post
I have several Aero stripped lowers marked multi that have been assembled and set up with various caliber barrels. All have 15" hand guards so the barrel markings are not visible unless the HG is removed. Should I just select "interchangeable barrel" and leave it at that? Or do I need to list the calibre in the notes section. I do want to be able to change them at a later date.

I really don't want to remove all of these hand guards to try and get barrel calibre marking photos.

Select interchange barrels. Now that you’ve registered the lunatics at DOJ could alway come up with further restrictions later on.