Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 7:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

updated; gamma, what shift?

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-18-2009, 9:34 PM
Calguns Addict

MrNiceGuy, what shift do you want?

PM me your numbers if I don't have it already.
These posts are Fiction. They do not contain legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer. Any resemblance to real persons are pure coincidence. These posts may pose an inhalation hazard, reading can be harmful or fatal. No statements made on this forum are meant to represent any corporate or business entity, others, or myself. Especially not myself.

Stop duping answers, help expand the FAQ.

Why yes, that is me in my avatar and yes, I AM wearing a life jacket.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict

MNG is down for all day Saturday.
These posts are Fiction. They do not contain legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer. Any resemblance to real persons are pure coincidence. These posts may pose an inhalation hazard, reading can be harmful or fatal. No statements made on this forum are meant to represent any corporate or business entity, others, or myself. Especially not myself.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

I'm in for a Saturday late shift. I'm still catching crap about spending the entire fathers day weekend at the San Jose show back in June.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
I'm in.

Pair me with Ivan.

We work well together. Like peas and carrots.

(I get to be the carrot this time)
Like chicken and corn!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
updated; gamma, what shift?
Saturday and Sunday I believe, But I will have to let you know what my work schedule is when I get back to work incase they schedule me for saturday or sunday. . .

- G

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-19-2009, 9:28 PM

That's the only weekend I have to scout X-10. Sorry.
Tom
Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Current crew schedule:

Saturday: Stormfeather (all day), MrNiceGuy (all day), GammaRei (all day; tentative)

Ivanimal (8-12), JDberger (8-12), Ghost (12-3), SJGunGuy24 (12-5), Librarian (12-5)

Sunday: Stormfeather (all day), GammaRei (all day; tentative)

TheDrickel (12-5), Oaklander (12-5)

In but shifts unscheduled: VladButsky, Lateralus, QuarterBoreGunner (tentative), Steyr_223 (tentative), Dr. Peter Venkman (tentative).

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a person or two. Please post if you can make it and what shift you want to take.

WTS Keltec P11

Last edited by DedEye; 08-20-2009 at 1:19 AM..
Old 08-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Banned

Me too! Me and the Drick, we are like THIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
Put me down for the late shift on Sunday
Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Banned

Can I bring my AK pistol?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
Why not...

I can't wait for the Sgt at the front checking weapons says, "Oh, another one of YOU guys....".

That was friggin precious.

He didn't respond when I asked if he meant a person with a rifle...

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 08-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
Please do. I was going to post a request that people bring sample OLLs/firearms, but you beat me to it .

Please bring examples of various off list rifles and pistols that demonstrate the unique features of California compliance. We've already got at least an AK pistol on its way on Sunday, as well as a couple ARs (MMG and dedicated .22), and at least one AK with fin grip on one day. If Ivan brings a selection of his rifles, we'll probably have plenty on Saturday, at least in the AM .

If you are comfortable leaving a rifle with us either while you attend the show, or know someone well enough that you can loan them a rifle to keep at the show one or both days, that would also help. Post or PM what you have to offer, as we will be best served with variety. Unique stuff like AK and AR pistols draw crowds, as do any other random and off the wall goodies (anyone got an AOW or C&R SBS they can bring for demonstration purposes?). We can keep your guns "hands off" if you like, but it would help tremendously if you're willing to let people handle them.

Also, if you are planning to bring one of your firearms, a sling is a great thing to have as well. Actually holding the rifle and getting it off the rack to make it more visible is a fantastic conversation starter, as anyone who saw the January show can attest. This will also help if you have a loaner rifle you don't want us to leave unattended, since we can keep it with us at all times.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-20-2009, 9:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

One suggestion for a presentation concept that has worked beautifully in other areas: you may find you reach a greater cross-section of attendees if other types of firearms are represented at the table as well as the AR/AK platforms. That said, AR/AK pistols are less common and could incite serious interest from those who've just seen 300 rifles at Cold War but nothing that looked like *that*.

Having 20 variations of EBRs at the table may be interesting to some, but how about a slow bolt, lever, python and 1911 (maybe an IPSC open gun?) being there as well?

Last thought- holding an AR rifle may be intimidating for some of the wives/girlfriends who attend with their gun-loving significant other. I'd really like to see us have a less-imposing option for those females interested in something they can use bedside, for plinking or whatever their needs. I'm thinking along the lines of a CZ75/Glock/XD.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-20-2009, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

PM'd DedEye, count me in on the Sacramento show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
I need your help. Rush over here with shovels, half-naked girls and lots of beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_Fox View Post
im 26 and I feel like a creep trying to mack the 18 year old, i still do it, but I feel creepy.
Old 08-20-2009, 4:09 PM
Administrator

I have my old Marlin bolt-action .22

DedEye has recruited me for Sat 12-5.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-20-2009, 4:36 PM

I can work a shift. Send me a PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
One suggestion for a presentation concept that has worked beautifully in other areas: you may find you reach a greater cross-section of attendees if other types of firearms are represented at the table as well as the AR/AK platforms. That said, AR/AK pistols are less common and could incite serious interest from those who've just seen 300 rifles at Cold War but nothing that looked like *that*.

Having 20 variations of EBRs at the table may be interesting to some, but how about a slow bolt, lever, python and 1911 (maybe an IPSC open gun?) being there as well?

Last thought- holding an AR rifle may be intimidating for some of the wives/girlfriends who attend with their gun-loving significant other. I'd really like to see us have a less-imposing option for those females interested in something they can use bedside, for plinking or whatever their needs. I'm thinking along the lines of a CZ75/Glock/XD.
Agreed. Showing something for everyone will get us mass appeal. As for pistols, it would be great if people could bring some off roster stuff to show people what isn't available for sale from dealers to non-LEOs (Pink Mosquito, anyone?). A tricked out 1911 or two will be nice for demonstrating to competition folks what they are missing out on, and give them a reason to want to donate. As for the crazy unique stuff, I wonder if PRK will be able to loan us anything as well...

I would also suggest that not everyone carry their rifle in a sling, or carry anything at all (except perhaps pamphlets). As Brandon said, it helps with the approachable factor. At the same time, having at least one or two people holding a firearm where it can be seen and touched also lets the folks not carrying them start conversations with the curious looking onlookers and passersby.

Still, options are always good to have, so we'll have to bring lots of goodies.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Current crew schedule:

Saturday: Stormfeather (all day), MrNiceGuy (all day), GammaRei (all day; tentative) Lateralus (all day)

Ivanimal (8-12), JDberger (8-12), Ghost (12-3), SJGunGuy24 (12-5), Librarian (12-5), VladButsky (Saturday afternoon preferred)

Sunday: Stormfeather (all day), GammaRei (all day; tentative), Lateralus (all day)

In but shifts unscheduled: QuarterBoreGunner (tentative), Steyr_223 (tentative), Dr. Peter Venkman (tentative), DanTodd (tentative), Movie_Zombie (tentative).

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a person or two. Please post if you can make it and what shift you want to take.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Calguns Addict

If even half of our tentative members can make it, and everyone else that said they'll come shows, we'll have an amazing team working this booth.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-20-2009, 11:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll be damned - DedEye has to go and turn this into a frickin whos-who of Calguns

Awesome group all! This should be an amazing show.

Speaking of amazing, who's up for sushi?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'll be damned - DedEye has to go and turn this into a frickin whos-who of Calguns

Awesome group all! This should be an amazing show.

Speaking of amazing, who's up for sushi?
You know I am! Saturday night?

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Lateralus said he'd like to spearhead the booth in Sac, so mark him down as Coordinator.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-21-2009, 1:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Coordinator added, will update vols when crew/schedule develops

Old 08-21-2009, 2:01 AM
Calguns Addict

I should be able to work all of Sunday, by the way.

Better list me as tentative for now just in case things change.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-21-2009, 10:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Unfortunately I'll prob not be able to make it this weekend.

Thanks to all the great folks for signing on, we'll be well-represented.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Ha . . . seems like DE's got some pull around here!

I'll bring one of my fal para's and an S12, and whatever else that's cool that I can find around here.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Administrator

So, is there an FAQ for the newbie booth-babes?

I know things like 'business casual, no camo'.

Probably deserves its own thread....

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 08-21-2009, 6:22 PM

Yah! FAQ for booth noobs (me) please.

Besides the AK I "might" bring a "complete" LaRue AR.
It the LEO at the checkpoint coo with all the AR/AK/EBR come through the gates (legally configured)?

I don't want my baby getting taken away for no good reason.
Old 08-21-2009, 9:54 PM
Administrator

Is there electrical power at the booth?

A laptop running some of the firearm animations might be amusing.

And I think I can collect the whole Calguns Foundation Wiki and run it locally; maybe - haven't tried it yet. -- Yes, with a little fiddling it works fine, if a bit less pretty than the real thing.

- Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Librarian; 08-21-2009 at 10:29 PM..
Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We tried the laptop at the first show, had ~10 or so signups right there the first day. All in all it's tough to work with and talk to people, tend to make your back turn to audience unless you have a separate monitor/tv you're running to.

The FAQ is [still] in the works (I know, I know, it's taking longer than the AR/AK memo...). Until then, please PM a Calgunner who's worked a booth (such as DedEye, Ivanimal, JDBerger, Lateralus, Vladbutsky and SJGunGuy24 from this bunch).

Old 08-24-2009, 8:09 PM

I have a prior committment in the early evening of 9/26, but would be very willing to help earlier in the day or anytime on 9/27.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll be available all day sunday. I get off work at 6:am on the 27th in jackson and can drive right out there. Already committed through dedeye.

I have a calguns shirt ready to go.

Fascist pig....

Last edited by Bobula; 08-24-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Old 08-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I've spoken with Tman, he's planning to work on Sunday as well.

Same goes for 762Cavalier.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Tgriffin is another tentative yes for Saturday and Sunday.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Current crew schedule:

Saturday: Stormfeather (all day), MrNiceGuy (all day), GammaRei (all day; tentative) Lateralus (all day), QuarterBoreGunner (all day)

Ivanimal (8-12), JDberger (8-12), Ghost (12-3), SJGunGuy24 (12-5), Librarian (12-5), VladButsky (Saturday afternoon preferred)

Sunday: Stormfeather (all day), GammaRei (all day; tentative), Lateralus (all day), Marshaul (all day, tentative)

In but shifts unscheduled: Berto (tentative; needs ride from Berkeley), Steyr_223 (tentative), Dr. Peter Venkman (tentative), DanTodd (tentative), Movie_Zombie (tentative).

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy View Post
Yah! FAQ for booth noobs (me) please.

Besides the AK I "might" bring a "complete" LaRue AR.
It the LEO at the checkpoint coo with all the AR/AK/EBR come through the gates (legally configured)?

I don't want my baby getting taken away for no good reason.
Bring that AR .

The door LEOs are used to seeing EBRs. After all, Cold War Shooters tends to work this show and PRK has made at least one appearance in the past. You'll have plenty of support even if you do somehow managed to get hassled.

The booth FAQ is really simple, and can be learned in the 15 minutes before the show. I'm not kidding when I say that it mostly consists of doing what you do here on Calguns. Point people in the right direction to find out about CA gun laws, encourage them to donate to CGF and get active locally and nationally.

It's more about what not to talk about than it is what to talk about. If you can avoid it, try not to talk about non-gun politics. Obviously if someone brings it up and wants to vent you can listen, but you may not agree with them and probably don't want to engage in a protracted debate.

The last Cow Palace show I worked we were set up right next to a Truther booth, so we got a few people with their tin foil hats screwed on tight wander over to us. You don't want to call someone a nut and discourage involvement based on their other views and opinions if they're willing to help fight for the 2nd Amendment with us. Likewise, if someone wants to push for legalizing medical marijuana or gay marriage you don't want to get in a debate and turn away a potential ally from that end of the spectrum either.

In short, do as Bill Wiese advises and avoid mixing issues. We have a hard enough fight as it is to defend our gun rights without distractions and internal strife and disagreements.

Finally, there are certain gun related topics you may want to avoid bringing up due to the sensitivity of the topic or due to the complexity and difficulty explaining it in a 5 minute gun show conversation. Unloaded open carry is a prime example. If someone is interested in the subject, point them to the forum and the wealth of information available on the subject here.

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Oh and a PS of great news I keep meaning to add:

Bill Byrd, owner Bullseye in San Rafael, has generously agreed to sponsor the Calguns booth at the Cow Palace gun show.

If you're stopping by there, make sure to thank Bill for his support!

WTS Keltec P11
Old 08-25-2009, 12:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm in for a few hours on one of the two days. I'll get back to the thread as we get closer on which day is better. The next week is going to be crazy!

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 08-26-2009, 10:30 AM

Count me in if you guys need any help.
Old 08-26-2009, 9:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the kind word DedEye.

I just sent Brandon a PM. At this point, if anyone would like to volunteer to work the booth, they should contact wildhawker or myself and we will work you in. Believe me when I say it is a ton of fun to help out at these events.
----------------------------
With my feet upon the ground, I move myself between the sound and Open wide to suck it in I feel It move across my skin