Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 06-21-2018, 5:09 PM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

Default storing rifle outside of safe

2 things, my safe is full !!! and my flintlock rifle would not fit in it anyway, its 61" long and the safe is only 59" tall. I am finishing a second flintlock that also would not fit. I also recently got a new O/U shotgun (Guerini) and no room in the safe.

Currently, my 0/U is sitting in the garage because its the only alarmed part of the house and my flintlocks are in the bedroom closet. The garage is a detached garage and temperature/humidity will be a problem so its not a good long term solution. We are going to be alarming the house in the next few weeks so I can bring them into the house but they still won't be in the safe.

Once the house has a alarm and a few cameras would you be ok with those guns in a closet or should I really consider something more secure ? Wifey is kind of against another "ugly" safe in the house.
Old 06-21-2018, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

USA Made Wall Mounted Locking Gun Rack Shotgun Rifle Hanger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGNXS2S..._X6elBb1KJJ111

Or one the 3 gun racks for $100
Old 06-21-2018, 6:18 PM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

not sure how that would work with the flintlocks, but I will look into it
Old 06-21-2018, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't lock up my flintlocks. If somebody steals them, they aren't really firearms anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I kinda think the flintlocks are ok. I'm not sure I ever recall somebody robbing or killing someone...in modern times...with a flintlock. Plus there are other ways to secure weapons. You could use trigger locks, cable locks, storage cabinets, etc., for the the O/U. There are some under bed storage units that are made for a rifle or two. That could work.

Check out some of the solutions here and see if you think anything would work.
https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/p...den-gun-safes/

Fighter Pilot
Old 06-21-2018, 11:52 PM

The diagonal from rear top to front bottom of your 59 inch tall safe should be more than 61 inches. Lean the rifle if you can clear one side wall.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:48 AM

I had a good friend that died of a medication error a few years ago. Back in about 1999 he bought two Chinese Dragunov rifles, one in the original 7.62x54R caliber, and one in 308. They were his pride and joy. Theh were too big to fit in his safe do he left them next to it. Can you guess what happened? There was a break-in and the stole the two Dragunov's and his MAK-90, so he could not register them before the ban. He replaced the AK but not the Dragunov's. Point is you should get something eventually, maybe a Homak strong box?
Old 06-22-2018, 1:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
not sure how that would work with the flintlocks, but I will look into it
Shotlock work?

https://www.shotlock.com
Old 06-22-2018, 1:36 AM

Default Hang it.

Through out time people have been putting over the fireplace. Get another safe, so what. Do you have kids? Get another safe. You and your wife will feel better in the long run. You can always sell it later & you could keep her Jewelry in it.
Old 06-22-2018, 9:44 AM

Put gun socks on them and put them in the closet. The only reason my muzzle loaders are in a safe is because I have the space. It's not like we are talking about center fire firearms, doubt anyone would even steal one if they had a chance unless some kid thought it was cool to take it but running down the street with a 61" flintlock is rather obvious. Besides, you can have another delivered to your house in a few days if need be. You could also break them down and put them in the safe if you are that worried about leaving them out.
Old 06-23-2018, 7:00 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would not worry about the muzzle loaders from a liability standpoint. If they are rare, then get another safe to expand capacity. I have a bunch of black powder junk that is not in a safe. On the other hand, my original 1858 Enfield is in the safe because it has value.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

- Mark Twain

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 06-23-2018, 8:22 PM

I have several guns that aren't in the safe. They are in various places in the house. All of them are in cases that don't look like guns or stored in a way that wouldn't come to light during a robbery (all the jewelry and small electronics will also help to distract).

Another option is to put in a security door on a confined space in the house. Basically turn a walk in closet into a small gun room.