Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-09-2011, 6:53 PM

According to this they can require a psyche test if they require it of all applicants. But it doesn't say anything about the insurance.

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/dow..._CCW_Guide.pdf
Old 05-09-2011, 8:04 PM

FWIW:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Liability insurance requirements for CCW is unlawful and illegal in California, and also not possible to get. The only explanation I have for the false existence is that they're not actually checking, or just taking someone's word for it in terms of homeowners/renters insurance.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Insurance is definitely not a lawful requirement.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 05-10-2011, 2:03 PM

I've called the ACSO CCW permit phone number 4 times today. Each time it has gone to voice mail.

No real thoughts on this so far. Just documenting it.
Old 05-10-2011, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

"Ask me about the Modern Whig Party of California. Extreme Moderates at the Radical Center of common sense politics. http://www.cawhigparty.org/ "

WHAT?
Old 05-10-2011, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
"Ask me about the Modern Whig Party of California. Extreme Moderates at the Radical Center of common sense politics. http://www.cawhigparty.org/ "

WHAT?
In today's bi-polar political world they would like you to believe that the only choices are at the extemes. That you are either on the far left or on the far right. And that only a few people who can't make up their minds are left as the "undecided". The MWP feels that the reverse is true, that most people are really somewhere near the center with only some diehards on the outer fringes. That's the part of our "Radicalness", the extreme moderate part comes from the belief that the answer to almost every issue can be determined with some common sense, middle of the road solutions.

If you want to know more you can PM me or we can start a thread in another forum.
Old 05-10-2011, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
The Sheriff's office is incorrect. Feel free to apply directly to them (as you're entitled under statute and Salute v. Pitchess) and let me know if they refuse to accept and process your application.

-Brandon
Go get 'em Brandon. Take them down

PM me for electrical work
Old 05-13-2011, 12:37 PM

It has now been over a week since I first called the ACSO. They are no long answering their phones in the CCW dept. I have called everyday, two to four times a day and always it goes to voice mail.

I shall update when the situation changes.
Old 05-13-2011, 3:58 PM

I'm looking to get a Alameda CCW as well. Same boat. I was just about to apply with the Sheriff when I caught the fine print about the 'apply with local PD first' policy. Finding no resources on the PD's website I was informed that should write a letter to the PD Chief. My letter has gone unanswered. I figure at this point I can go to the Sheriff with proof that I tried to play by their 'policy' and now it's time we play by the rules.
Old 05-13-2011, 4:16 PM

How bad would it be if I were to call the anonymous tip line and tell them that their office is breaking the law?
Old 05-13-2011, 4:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrex View Post
How bad would it be if I were to call the anonymous tip line and tell them that their office is breaking the law?
Ignore that step and proceed directly to personally delivering a completed application to Sgt. K. Martinez at the Sheriff's Office. I'd advise to call their regular number and inform them that the CCW line is going unanswered and that you want to submit the application ASAP, so you need to speak with Sgt. Martinez and schedule the appointment. FYI, their [unlawful] policy is here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...ive/89-alameda

Be prepared to pay no more than $20 in local fees, $95 for the background check, and their local print rolling fee *at the most*. You can only be required to complete and submit the Standard DOJ application, also at the weblink I posted above; their other forms are unlawful.

The Sheriff's Office is compelled to accept applications. We're here to help them remember that.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 05-13-2011, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Sheriff's Office is compelled to accept applications. We're here to help them remember that. -Brandon
Yeah, I'll bet as soon as the applicant's back is turned it goes right into the round file!
Old 05-14-2011, 2:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
In the end I pointed out that regardless of their policy, state law said that I could apply and that I did indeed wish to exercise my right to do so. She said again that she could not and would not send me an application until I had applied and then been denied by the Oakland police dept.
Brandon, is the above of any special use?

OT: Are the pro-RKBA "fireworks" going to happen before or after the 4th of July?

Last edited by Paladin; 05-14-2011 at 9:31 PM..
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Brandon, is this of any special use?

OT: Are the pro-RKBA "fireworks" going to happen before or after the 4th of July?
These developments are all extremely interesting... I (of course, and as I am again, in BR mode) am available as of the very second I'm asked, to go down to the ACSO to obtain the application and materials for a CCW, and apply when it's safe to do so. Not sure if I mentioned it to anyone, but I will drop everything (with the exception of job interviews and doctor appointments) and go apply, even if I'm out of town on something.

Erik.
Old 05-19-2011, 8:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Brandon, is the above of any special use?

Bump
Old 05-20-2011, 1:11 PM

End of week check in. 5 up and 5 down. I've called at least twice a day sometimes 5 times a day. Usually it goes to voice mail now. I'd say 80% of the time. When they do pick up they no longer say "Public CCW line", they now say "Internal affairs". When questioned she says "Oh yeah we do ccw as well". I get the same song and dance. When I ask to speak to the supervisor she is never available.

I'm done with trying the phone. Next week I'll be going in person.
Old 05-20-2011, 1:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
End of week check in. 5 up and 5 down. I've called at least twice a day sometimes 5 times a day. Usually it goes to voice mail now. I'd say 80% of the time. When they do pick up they no longer say "Public CCW line", they now say "Internal affairs". When questioned she says "Oh yeah we do ccw as well". I get the same song and dance. When I ask to speak to the supervisor she is never available.

I'm done with trying the phone. Next week I'll be going in person.
Try not to get tasered.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 05-20-2011, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I would have gone in person looooooooooong ago.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 05-20-2011, 1:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Bumping this up...

-Brandon

Quote:
Ignore that step and proceed directly to personally delivering a completed application to Sgt. K. Martinez at the Sheriff's Office. I'd advise to call their regular number and inform them that the CCW line is going unanswered and that you want to submit the application ASAP, so you need to speak with Sgt. Martinez and schedule the appointment. FYI, their [unlawful] policy is here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...ive/89-alameda

Be prepared to pay no more than $20 in local fees, $95 for the background check, and their local print rolling fee *at the most*. You can only be required to complete and submit the Standard DOJ application, also at the weblink I posted above; their other forms are unlawful.

The Sheriff's Office is compelled to accept applications. We're here to help them remember that.

-Brandon

Old 05-20-2011, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
I would have gone in person looooooooooong ago.
Ok, at what point do you feel this was constructive to this conversation?
Old 05-20-2011, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

Question

Quote:
Bumping this up...

-Brandon
Is this for everyone, or for one person similarly situated?

Erik.
Old 05-22-2011, 4:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
Is this for everyone, or for one person similarly situated?

Erik.
It's not quite a "run a fire drill", but not intended to be a limited comment, either.

Old 05-22-2011, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Smile

Quote:
It's not quite a "run a fire drill", but not intended to be a limited comment, either.
ISSTBM...

Erik.
Old 06-03-2011, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

At the risk of this dropping off, and I have a viable concern...

Can a DV victim (BF/GF type violence) in ALCO be "similarly situated"?

Can I have my friend get her into contact with me for this purpose?

Erik.
Old 06-03-2011, 3:21 PM

I can't answer the similarly situated, but I know there are some carry exceptions with a restraining order that you might be able to use to help.
Old 06-07-2011, 7:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Reading about the death of Michelle Le (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=441444) got me wondering if Hayward PD (http://www.ci.hayward.ca.us/departme...e/spolice.shtm), still has illegal requirements for getting a CCW.

It looks like they've declared G and are no longer issuing, but rather referring applicants to the Alameda Co Sheriffs Office.

Below is their FAQs webpage re CCWs (http://user.govoutreach.com/hayward/faq.php?cid=11074). I've bolded a few points for emphasis.

Concealed Weapon Permit

The City of Hayward Police Department has adopted the practice of referring private person Concealed Weapon License applicants to the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office in accordance with Penal Code Section 12050(g). Carrying a concealed weapon by private citizens is a privilege, not a right and the issuance of such license is at the discretion of the Sheriff. The following are standards for the issuance of a Carry Concealed Weapons Licenses (CCW) by the Sheriff’s Office:

The applicant’s primary residence must be in Alameda County, unless applying for a 90-day employment license or as a reserve peace officer/custodial officer
The applicant must be of good moral character
The applicant must demonstrate that good cause exists for issuing a concealed weapon license

Applications for Concealed Weapon Licenses are processed in phases. Applicants must successfully complete each phase before proceeding to the next. The applicant must meet several other criteria before a permit would be issued, including:

complete a certified firearms safety course
submit proof of firearm registration
pass a firearms qualifications test
submit to a psychological examination at the applicant's expense
obtain and provide evidence liability insurance policy

For more information on Carry Concealed Weapon Licenses and the application process, please call the Alameda County Sheriff’s CCW Office at 510-208-9890.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Status?

Just wondering what the status is in regards to CCW is for Alameda? We have good cause statements available, but what are the implications to this? Does this just mean they have to honor an applicants good cause statement if it was already excepted previously?
And from what I have read here is seems that Alameda Sheriffs office is just Deep sixing/stonewalling everything, is this going to open up legal avenues for getting CCW issued?
Old 07-22-2011, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreCF View Post
Just wondering what the status is in regards to CCW is for Alameda? We have good cause statements available, but what are the implications to this? Does this just mean they have to honor an applicants good cause statement if it was already excepted previously?
And from what I have read here is seems that Alameda Sheriffs office is just Deep sixing/stonewalling everything, is this going to open up legal avenues for getting CCW issued?
It's been silent here for a while, but that can sometimes result in something loud.

Erik.
Old 07-22-2011, 7:32 PM

Quote:
It's been silent here for a while, but that can sometimes result in something loud.
If I fire my carbide cannon towards you across the bay, tell me if you can hear it...

Standing by...
Old 07-22-2011, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

And I'll blow into my saxophone...

Erik.
Old 07-22-2011, 9:38 PM

Quote:
And I'll blow into my saxophone...

Erik.
I'll be listening...

Bari, tenor or what? (I know it ain't no soprano...)

If it's a bari do the foghorn!
Old 07-22-2011, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bear View Post
I'll be listening...

Bari, tenor or what? (I know it ain't no soprano...)

If it's a bari do the foghorn!

They'll call the cops, then I'll get a disorderly conduct...

Erik.
Old 09-19-2011, 7:11 PM

Any new info??? are we coming closer?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 AM

I was wondering the same...
Old 09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

We'll certainly know when it's time, but ALCO is considered a red "hold out" county, and will be among the last of the counties to begin complying.

**EDIT**

It was a huge step for us to be able to get the known accepted good cause statements. If you haven't, check the good cause statements, and see how you are similarly situated (if you are).

Erik.
Old 12-27-2011, 8:28 PM

Any new chances or development in ALCO? I heard they might get rid of the liability insurance starting 2012. Is it still a "red hold out" county? Thinking about applying.
Old 12-27-2011, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chremicon View Post
Any new chances or development in ALCO? I heard they might get rid of the liability insurance starting 2012. Is it still a "red hold out" county? Thinking about applying.
What do you mean "might"? Liability insurance requirements are completely unlawful as of 1/1/2012.
Old 12-28-2011, 8:21 AM

I spoke with a lady at ACSO over the phone about a month ago. She was nice enough and asked me a number of questions regarding just why I thought I needed a concealed weapon. After a bit of conversation, she agreed to send me out a packet with all the info. She also explained that there was some legal issues in the works that "might" have an effect on their current insurance and psychological testing requirements sometime in 2012. She did not say it directly, but she led me to think that I would be better off waiting to submit any paperwork to their office until whatever that legislation is was decided upon. Is it a fact at this point that after Jan 1, 2012 those items will no longer be required? If so, would it be smart to submit an application? I'm really reluctant due to all I've heard about the unending implications once you have been "denied" by an agency.
Old 12-28-2011, 9:54 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
What do you mean "might"? Liability insurance requirements are completely unlawful as of 1/1/2012.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Dodge View Post
Is it a fact at this point that after Jan 1, 2012 those items will no longer be required? If so, would it be smart to submit an application?

I'm really reluctant due to all I've heard about the unending implications once you have been "denied" by an agency.
Immediately above your post was the answer to the insurance question.

It's the 28th. You can easily wait until Tuesday/Wednesday, but I wouldn't have high expectations about getting the LTC.

Being denied by a no-issue county should have no bearing on applications in more sensible places.

Being denied for cause, however, rather than the whim of the issuing agency, might be a reason for concern.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Dodge View Post
I spoke with a lady at ACSO over the phone about a month ago. She was nice enough and asked me a number of questions regarding just why I thought I needed a concealed weapon. After a bit of conversation, she agreed to send me out a packet with all the info.
Agreed to send? No.