Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-07-2018, 3:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default ar15 in 22lr

Looking to build an AR15 but with a 22lr.

What are the best options available right now, was looking at the cmmg conversion kit, that actually uses a 5.56 barrel (I think) with a special adapter. what about the magazine?

There is dedicated 22lr that kinda looks like an ar, but is made of plastic, and jsut seems really cheap, I don't like that...

Trying to make a rifle for my daughter, but don't need an AW. I do want it setup, so I can swap some parts, and turn it into a 5.56 if I need to (fixed mag) I won't go featureless
Old 04-07-2018, 3:58 AM

I went the dedicated .22lr upper route.
80% polymer lower.
Lower 1/3 co-witness red dot
This thing is EXTREMELY fun to shoot and excellent for teaching new shooters.
Also, being a dedicated .22lr, it is very accurate.
(shown with carry handle that has been replaced)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2018, 5:50 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Firstly, rimfire won't require a BB or AW registration so featureless shouldn't even be a consideration. This is my primary reason for building a complete dedicated AR15-22LR.

Just build your AR22 like you would any other AR15, except you need a 22LR bolt (obviously) and I would highly recommend a 22LR barrel. CMMG happens to make both the bolt and the barrel. Everything else you can use standard AR parts (upper, lower, hand guard, trigger, etc).

As for magazines, there are Black Dog Machine magazines, CMMG magazines, and S&W M&P15-22 magazines. There might be others out there but these are the big 3 IMO. And of the 3, the S&W mags are the best IMO, but they require an adapter to use (Boonie Pack Better Mag adapter). This adapter also has a bolt hold open feature that holds the bolt open after the magazine is emptied, whereas the other magazines will not do this. Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2018, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Simply buy a complete 22 upper and slap it on your lower. Done.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 04-07-2018, 9:50 AM

There are several companies that offer complete 22LR uppers. I have a CZ 16", CMMG 20" and Nordic 16". There are several others if you do a web search. Problem is many uppers to fit a std lower cost more than a complete the S&W 22AR and way more than the Mossberg. The Mosberg is lowest priced for a complete rifle but has a lot of plastic, though I took a guy to shoot his and it had no jams with multiple ammo brands so I wouldn't hesitate to start with one for a younger shooter. Havinf the collapsible stock a must for LOP for kids.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post
There are several companies that offer complete 22LR uppers. I have a CZ 16", CMMG 20" and Nordic 16". There are several others if you do a web search. Problem is many uppers to fit a std lower cost more than a complete the S&W 22AR and way more than the Mossberg. The Mosberg is lowest priced for a complete rifle but has a lot of plastic, though I took a guy to shoot his and it had no jams with multiple ammo brands so I wouldn't hesitate to start with one for a younger shooter. Havinf the collapsible stock a must for LOP for kids.
Palmetto State Armory has a few that sell for $299 when on sale. The Nordic Components sometimes goes on sale for $399.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 04-07-2018 at 7:37 PM..
Old 04-07-2018, 10:49 AM

I just finished my build. Aero 80% lower, CMMG M4 .22LR Upper, all Magpul furniture, with a cowitenss MBUS/red dot combo. Shoots excellent zero issues and very accurate. Wasn’t the cheapest AR22 by far but well worth it.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:54 AM

Not to mention the CMMG Upper from Tactical **** with their code is a mere $410 instead of $560
Old 04-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Nordic Components 22lr dedicated upper fit and AR 15 lower. Uses black dog mags $15. It’s not cheap, but worth the price.
Old 04-08-2018, 7:40 PM

If you decide to use Black Dog mags, I suggest getting a McFadden Lightnin grip loader.
It makes loading those mags easier.
Should you decide to get the loader, remember to buy the adapter as well. you will need both components.
Old 04-08-2018, 7:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I bought an upper in 5.56 from palmetto for 149. A CMMG bolt and 3 mags from optics planet for 149.00, an Andersen lower from Turners for 30. A lower parts kit from Kari's guns with stock and pistol grip for 49 and a CMMG charging handle from Walmart.com for 19. I am happy with this build, it shoots great.
Old 04-08-2018, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.tacticalsol.com/ar-22-se...pers/ar-22-lt#

I have this and use black dog mags
Old 04-10-2018, 9:17 AM

Default Palmetto State Armory

Tried to order form them this last week, and it would appear that Palmetto State Armory is no longer CA friendly, and no longer friendly to officers.

Apparently, the laws in CA are not restrictive enough, and they want to add a few of their own.

It's a sad day. don't want anyone else to waste a week emailing their "compliance department" From their responses and general knowledge of firearms I wouldn't be surprised to find out I was actually emailing Dianne Feinstein.

it's sad they use to be a good company.
Old 04-10-2018, 9:25 AM

Def build the AR...

my mistake was purchasing one of those cheap plastic costumes set ups, mossberg plinksger lmfao. WHAT TRASH!! Looked cool tho
Old 04-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Dedicated 22LR upper. I have a CMMG, runs perfect.
Old 04-11-2018, 9:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach View Post
Not to mention the CMMG Upper from Tactical **** with their code is a mere $410 instead of $560
What coupon code are you referring to? I did a quick google search and didn’t pull anything up to get the price down to $410. I was waiting for PSA to get their uppers back in stock but I’m getting impatient and am willing to pay extra to get one now for that price. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2018, 9:36 PM

I used a Bayer barrel on my AR-22 build. Read somewhere this is a quality barrel. Works great for me and the wife. Dunno how much better than others since I have not tried anything else.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestr1 View Post
What coupon code are you referring to? I did a quick google search and didn’t pull anything up to get the price down to $410. I was waiting for PSA to get their uppers back in stock but I’m getting impatient and am willing to pay extra to get one now for that price. Thanks!
https://shop.tactical****.com/cmmg-c...er-mk4-ht-22lr

The coupon code was ID10T not sure if it’s still active
Old 04-12-2018, 12:16 AM

I bought a PSA conversion upper, had a dedicated one in sixteen twist barrel, 13-inch handguard, and nice stainless bolt tgat looks just like a CMMG but probably made by PSA, shoots well.
Old 04-12-2018, 5:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach View Post
https://shop.tactical****.com/cmmg-c...er-mk4-ht-22lr

The coupon code was ID10T not sure if it’s still active
Just tried it and it said it is invalid. Thanks anyways!
Old 04-12-2018, 7:49 AM

No problem I’m sure you can dig around and find another code and still get a great deal. Way cheaper then buying it from CMMG
Old 04-12-2018, 6:12 PM

I recently bought a complete PSA 16" barrel 13" lightweight Keymod upper for $319.00. They're usually out of them, but I got real lucky. It chambers and fires fine using CMMG mags. I just have to sight it in.
Old 04-12-2018, 6:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aolis110 View Post
I recently bought a complete PSA 16" barrel 13" lightweight Keymod upper for $319.00. They're usually out of them, but I got real lucky. It chambers and fires fine using CMMG mags. I just have to sight it in.
How long ago did you pick it up? I’ve been checking almost daily for what seems like months and haven’t had any luck with them being in stock. I’ve about given up on them coming back. Knowing my luck though, as soon as I buy somewhere else for more money they’ll have them back in stock.
Old 04-12-2018, 7:17 PM

It was ordered and delivered within the last month, but I'll tell you. I had been checking every day for the last six months! I got lucky one day, and they were on the web site. I ordered, and the next day they were sold out. The SKU number is 516446. It sure looks a CMMG, and the CMMG mags work.
Old 04-12-2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aolis110 View Post
It was ordered and delivered within the last month, but I'll tell you. I had been checking every day for the last six months! I got lucky one day, and they were on the web site. I ordered, and the next day they were sold out. The SKU number is 516446. It sure looks a CMMG, and the CMMG mags work.
Those PSA uppers are awesome for the price and quality. I would have bought one if I wasn’t so impatient
Old 04-12-2018, 7:59 PM

You guys even look at a garrow 17 hmr upper? Groups as good as my bolt action Cz.
Old 04-12-2018, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestr1 View Post
How long ago did you pick it up? I’ve been checking almost daily for what seems like months and haven’t had any luck with them being in stock. I’ve about given up on them coming back. Knowing my luck though, as soon as I buy somewhere else for more money they’ll have them back in stock.
I know PSA had them in stock on 3/20. I know someone that bought one.

Old 04-12-2018, 8:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I know PSA had them in stock on 3/20. I know someone that bought one.
I must have somehow missed it, damn! I’ll keep checking. Maybe I’ll get lucky!?!?
Old 04-12-2018, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Build a dedicated 22LR upper. Mine is a DPMS white upper, white carbon fiber hand guard, TACCOM barrel and conversion bolt, using BDM 22LR magazines - watch for sales. It's pretty cool looking, accurate, and fun to shoot. I slapped on an old 2-7x scope and it's perfect. Build out a cheap Polymer lower and it becomes a lightweight range fun gun. No worrying about evil features because it's exempt.

I have two CMMG 22LR conversion bolts with adapters to swap into my regular upper with 5.56 barrels. Vortex RDS or a Bushnell TRS25 and a bunch of Black Dog mags you're all set for a fun range day.

"You know the real difference between you and me?"
"Yeah. Denial."

Huntin Obessesion / Active Junky / Dvor / Ebates
Stuff for sale:
Crimson Trace (P228/P229), 1911 grips
Packer Stock (folding 10/22 stock)
Kenwood Receiver
CGSSA on Amazon

Last edited by RogueSniper; 04-12-2018 at 9:04 PM..
Old 04-15-2018, 5:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My lower is featureless because it can/will be used on centerfire calibers. If you do that you may need to convert/register it. Conversion was easier as I didn't do the California registration song and dance number.
Old 04-15-2018, 7:54 PM

I have a S&W M&P 15-22, and I love it. Very fun gun, no problems so far with about 500 rounds through it. Got mine for $360 from Buds. Dedicated AR is too much $$$. Plus I really like the trigger on my 15-22, better than the stock trigger on my AR but maybe my AR has a garbage trigger?
Old 04-15-2018, 8:18 PM

Tried two new brands of ammo in my Nordic 22AR upper with 9X scope yesterday. Found out it really likes the CCI standard velocity. Nice - because I got a case of it from the CMP last year. The Nordic has bolt hold open on last round which is nice so you never drop the firing pin on an empty chamber when you loose count of how many shots you've fired.

Always good to try several ammos to find out which shoots best in your gun.

Old 04-16-2018, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post
Tried two new brands of ammo in my Nordic 22AR upper with 9X scope yesterday. Found out it really likes the CCI standard velocity. Nice - because I got a case of it from the CMP last year. The Nordic has bolt hold open on last round which is nice so you never drop the firing pin on an empty chamber when you loose count of how many shots you've fired.

Always good to try several ammos to find out which shoots best in your gun.

Great shooting. I need to get a scope and good ammo for mine cause at 50yds with a red dot and crap ammo I have accuracy issues. Maybe CMMG barrels only like match ammo.
Old 04-16-2018, 7:56 AM

I have a CMMG 22 lr conversion unit for a Rock River upper on a Superior lower, paid $ 229 + tax 2yrs ago. set for 50 yds and is great for my 74 yr old eyes. Keep two Black Dog mags handy. Just keep the centerfire BCG in a separate locked box or safe.

Psalm 1
Old 04-18-2018, 7:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

PSA is still out of complete 22lr uppers but they just listed a 16” barrel and bcg combo. Currently $199. Debating if I should purchase this or wait for a complete upper to come back in to stock for $330ish. I would need to buy everything else so it’ll probably cost me more to buy this and build. Thoughts?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...165448128.html
Old 04-30-2018, 10:19 PM

I went with the cmmg dedicated upper/ redimag adapter for 15/22 mags on an Anderson lower. One of my favorite rifles to shoot. FWIW I also have a 15/22 that my son shoots. They both shoot really well other than the difference in weight and cost there is no difference in how they actually shoot. Oh I guess the 15/22 is a tad shorter too.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:44 AM

I picked this one up from PSA just a couple of days ago. I had been checking their page for months and when it popped up I jumped on it. Good thing too, as it was sold out that day.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446935.html

For you guys doing the "conversion" kits on a 5.56/.223 upper thinking that you're in the clear and don't have to worry about features or the law, think again. The second you remove the bolt, even to clean it, you will have what is considered a "broken" assault weapon that will still be legally considered an AW. There is also the problem with "constructive possession", if you have other 5.56/.223 bolts available to place into the upper, along with a lower that has "features".

My solution is to use a dedicated .22lr upper, and pair it with a lower that cannot accept an upper with a bolt carrier group other than a .22lr one. I will accomplish this by filling the buffer tube with a plug and epoxy.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a ciener conversion 22lr for ar with 1 10 round mag. $150 shipped
Old 05-08-2018, 7:12 PM

Default TacSol AR-22 M4 dedicated Upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
Looking to build an AR15 but with a 22lr.

What are the best options available right now, was looking at the cmmg conversion kit, that actually uses a 5.56 barrel (I think) with a special adapter. what about the magazine?

There is dedicated 22lr that kinda looks like an ar, but is made of plastic, and jsut seems really cheap, I don't like that...

Trying to make a rifle for my daughter, but don't need an AW. I do want it setup, so I can swap some parts, and turn it into a 5.56 if I need to (fixed mag) I won't go featureless
While I don't want to start a flame war (anyone who wants to flame me, flame away, I've got better things to do than respond to you), I have to voice my preference for dedicated Uppers with dedicated .22LR barrels that don't use dummy 5.56/.223 chamber adapters to funnel the bullet into the barrel. And while they seem reliable, I don't care for the Colt/Umarex and M & P 15-22 because they feel like toys. I also don't care for the cheapie Chiappa Uppers and Lowers. It you want cheap, they may be for you but to me they feel like crap. You get what you pay for.

The above said, I like the Tactical Solutions ("TacSol") dedicated Uppers and dedicated Rifles. TacSol makes three (3) difference dedicated Rifles (AR-22 M4, AR-LT, and AR-SB-X. You can also buy just the (dedicated) AR-22 M4 Upper, the (dedicated) AR-LT Upper, or the (dedicated) AR-SB-X Upper only so you can have it shipped directly to your house or work instead of having to have it shipped to an FFL as you would a firearm. Rimfire Sports & Custom sells the AR-22 M4 Upper for $510.00, the LT Upper for $595.00, and the BCG, LT Barrel, and Black Dog Magazine for $380.00 (if you have a spare Upper Receiver sitting around you can install the barrel and BCG, pin the Upper to any MILSPEC Lower, and head to the range).

Back in 2007 I bought just the barrel, BCG, and upper receiver from a TacSol AR-22 M4 used from "crossgun" on the Sniper's Hide. At the time I modeled the AR-22 after an LWRC M6A2-S ("Stretch"). Later, after I bought my first LWRC M6IC-E, I longed to update the AR-22 to the newer LWRC chassis. It took a lot of patience (and money), but I recently put together my TacSol/LWRC IC AR-22. Imagine swapping the barrel & BCG out of an FDE LWRC D.I. with a TacSol AR-22 M4 barrel & BCG, changing the FH from an LWRC A2 to an LWRC 4-prong FH, swapping the furniture to FDE, adding LWRC's QD Slingmount, adding CeraKoted LWRC Rails and QD Mount, then upgrading the trigger with a Geissele SSA-E and the Selector to a Dual Short Lever Noveske STS Ambi and you've pretty much got the rifle shown below.

Aries64's FDE TacSol/LWRC IC:

Keith

Last edited by Aries64; 05-08-2018 at 7:28 PM..
Old 05-08-2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
I went the dedicated .22lr upper route.
80% polymer lower.
Lower 1/3 co-witness red dot
This thing is EXTREMELY fun to shoot and excellent for teaching new shooters.
Also, being a dedicated .22lr, it is very accurate.
(shown with carry handle that has been replaced)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Have you run into any issues with that poly lower? I suspect the .22 doesn't have enough recoil to cause any cracking?

--TonyNorCal

Quoted from TheExpertish's Mosin Group Buy Clusterf**k Refund Thread