Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-26-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox70066 View Post
Good luck Mark.
thanks!!!

Mark

Old 04-28-2018, 3:35 PM
Adventure Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsGoBOOM View Post
Not sure this is true now days. I've heard that they are coming back in a week unless something is wrong.
even if the rumor of weeks for Livescan are true I was figuring it will be around July / Aug before I hear anything. My background checks always take longer, they told me it would when I left the Marines simply due to what my clearances were and what we did. Its been over 20 yrs now hopefully that "personal attention" business is over.
Old 04-30-2018, 3:17 PM

OK, VERY new here. I've read through 2 pages of posts. I live in Riverside Co., in Corona if that makes a difference. I want to apply for a CWP. Where do I start? Online or somewhere else? I am a High school teacher and own several rentals. I am a very small stature person under 130 lbs and couldn't physically self-defend myself to save my soul. I don't live in a bad area, but wouldn't want to be caught where I have one of my rentals at night.
Old 04-30-2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LadyKathy View Post
OK, VERY new here. I've read through 2 pages of posts. I live in Riverside Co., in Corona if that makes a difference. I want to apply for a CWP. Where do I start? Online or somewhere else? I am a High school teacher and own several rentals. I am a very small stature person under 130 lbs and couldn't physically self-defend myself to save my soul. I don't live in a bad area, but wouldn't want to be caught where I have one of my rentals at night.
Visit the Riverside sheriff website and under the CCW section click new license and call or email them with the contact info provided on the website.
Old 05-01-2018, 4:16 PM

Yep, apply now to get the wait started, then start working on your support, you'll have time. It looks like you have a pretty good foundation for your Good Cause.
Old 05-01-2018, 5:20 PM

Can the firearms on ones CCW be stippled and/or cerakoted? Tia
Old 05-01-2018, 6:09 PM
This space for rent!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by INVINCIBULL84 View Post

Cosmetic changes are ok.
Sight changes are ok.

There are plenty of conflicting opinions about trigger work and action work though.

NRA life member since 1997
CRPA member
Old 05-01-2018, 7:26 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instajc556 View Post
Visit the Riverside sheriff website and under the CCW section click new license and call or email them with the contact info provided on the website.
Thanks, Instajc556 and Illumi Naughty that did the trick. Everyone here has been awesome.
Old 05-02-2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INVINCIBULL84 View Post
When I qualified at Ben Clark, they refused to allow a gun from another CCW applicant that was stippled. They said that it weakened the gun. I didn't follow that logic but they refused.

They said "furniture is OK, but nothing else". Furniture being things you put ON the gun, not in. Sights, grips, lights, lasers=OK. Trigger jobs, triggers=not ok.

See more info here I posted other great Ben Clark info here.
Old 05-03-2018, 9:26 AM

A buddy of mine in Riverside is interested in starting the process. What is the approximate wait time you guys are seeing lately?

Edit: 2 years?

Last edited by Free Dumb; 05-03-2018 at 9:32 AM..
Old 05-03-2018, 12:22 PM

Yessir.
Old 05-03-2018, 8:05 PM

Not necessarily. The longer your "buddy" waits the longer it will take. The deputies have called appointments almost a year out to have them come in to process.

Lastly, I hear the unit is getting more help. Doubling the current staff.

So go get her done.
Old 05-04-2018, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LadyKathy View Post
Keep in mind that a CCW license does not exempt you from the laws restricting guns on school campus (which includes parking lots on school property). During the interview they will ask about where you work so be prepared for that discussion.

I would focus on the rentals at night reason and leave out anything school related from your good cause statement because they will require you to get authorization from your employer if you do.

Riverside County SD are very reasonable, so they'll work with you.

Good luck.

Last edited by GuyFawkes; 05-04-2018 at 8:40 AM..
Old 05-04-2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
When I qualified at Ben Clark, they refused to allow a gun from another CCW applicant that was stippled. They said that it weakened the gun.
Well my date got bumped up (to May 11th). I'll ask the Deputies in the CCW unit for any further clarification.

Gonna have to as my G19 is stippled. 1000+ rounds through it with zero frame issues.

Mark
Old 05-09-2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
When I qualified at Ben Clark, they refused to allow a gun from another CCW applicant that was stippled. They said that it weakened the gun. I didn't follow that logic but they refused.

They said "furniture is OK, but nothing else". Furniture being things you put ON the gun, not in. Sights, grips, lights, lasers=OK. Trigger jobs, triggers=not ok.

See more info here I posted other great Ben Clark info here.
I renewed last month. Nothing was said about triggers at all. All of mine have been worked to some degree. At BC, weapons inspected and OK'd.
Old 05-09-2018, 7:01 PM

That’s why I go to Johnny Woods in Indio. Never an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 9:45 PM

Hi guys. My interview date is coming up on June 10. Would anyone be able to PM or email me a sample template for the letter of recommendation? Thanks in advance. Also, would a passport be ok to use for proof of citizenship?
Old 05-10-2018, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyboyracing View Post
Hi guys. My interview date is coming up on June 10. Would anyone be able to PM or email me a sample template for the letter of recommendation? Thanks in advance. Also, would a passport be ok to use for proof of citizenship?
Not in Riverside myself. Why don't you have a copy of your birth certificate?
That is what they are asking for.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyboyracing View Post
Email the CCW unit about a Passport as proof of citizenship, they'll let you know right away.

For the reference letter, it's a VERY simple outline, basically have a reference person state their name, contact info, that they are aware that you are applying for a concealed firearm permit (this is important, don't leave that out), and that they consider you an honest, moral, and stand-up individual who can handle the responsibility. Then have them date and sign it, but make sure it's dated close to your interview date, I'd say within a month or so would be perfect. They don't like stale reference letters for some reason.
Old 05-10-2018, 2:06 PM

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-10-2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumi Naughty View Post
Email the CCW unit about a Passport as proof of citizenship, they'll let you know right away.

For the reference letter, it's a VERY simple outline, basically have a reference person state their name, contact info, that they are aware that you are applying for a concealed firearm permit (this is important, don't leave that out), and that they consider you an honest, moral, and stand-up individual who can handle the responsibility. Then have them date and sign it, but make sure it's dated close to your interview date, I'd say within a month or so would be perfect. They don't like stale reference letters for some reason.
I had a friend go through the process recently and they kicked back one of his letters because it was too "template-ish". They asked to have the person add more about his character, etc.

A few more notes. Make sure you get these months ahead of time. For two of my three references, it was like pulling teeth. Also, I have heard appointments being moved up (since it is election year). So have all your paperwork ready about 3-4 months ahead of your date.

Finally, although the Riverside CCW instructions just ask for reference person's name and address, they also want a phone number for the person on the letter.
Old 05-10-2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
A few more notes. Also, I have heard appointments being moved up (since it is election year). So have all your paperwork ready about 3-4 months ahead of your date.
Truth right there. My appt was for late June so I didn't rush getting the letters from my references. Got a call last Friday asking if I wanted it moved up to May 11th. I jumped on it.

I'm still waiting for two of my letters.

I called the CCW unit to inform them of what was happening on my end. I was lucky enough to be able to get my June date back.

Mark

Old 05-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Heya everyone, quick question.

I have the Smith & Wesson SD9VE. It's my first and only gun. I like it well enough, but I agreed with all the reviews I checked out that the trigger was not good - so I had it replaced with the Apex trigger. Nothing fancy, just a basic trigger swap.

I am going for my CCW permit, and reading through this thread I keep seeing "no trigger jobs." Well, I am fairly new to all of this, so I am unclear on what a "trigger job" actually is. Is what I had done considered a "trigger job?" Am I going to run into issues with my Apex trigger? I still have the stock trigger, although I hate it...should I pay the $50 and have it reinstalled before the test and then have to pay another $50 to have the Apex installed afterwards (meaning a total of $150 to do this), or would I even legally be able to reinstall the Apex trigger afterwards (meaning that if I had to have the stock trigger reinstalled and then qualified with the gun and THAT trigger, would I be legally required to have THAT trigger on my CCW gun?)

Sorry for such a rambling question - I couldn't think of a more succinct way to ask the question

Take care,
Rob
Old 05-12-2018, 12:43 PM

They consider a trigger job which reduces the trigger pull to less than factory specs or removes any trigger safety devices. Apex designs their kits to pull within factory tolerances. I’ve never known RSO to fail to approve an Apex kit in a carry gun unless you have turned your carry gun into a race gun with a competition trigger.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinjanko View Post
They consider a trigger job which reduces the trigger pull to less than factory specs or removes any trigger safety devices. Apex designs their kits to pull within factory tolerances. I’ve never known RSO to fail to approve an Apex kit in a carry gun unless you have turned your carry gun into a race gun with a competition trigger.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2018, 9:19 AM

Heya everyone - ok, so I tried to search, but (for me at least) the search function doesn't seem to be working.

I would like some feedback on my "good cause" statement. Is there anyone available who is willing & able to help me out?

Take care,
Rob
Old 05-14-2018, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahrob View Post
Heya everyone - ok, so I tried to search, but (for me at least) the search function doesn't seem to be working.

I would like some feedback on my "good cause" statement. Is there anyone available who is willing & able to help me out?

Take care,
Rob
PM Sleighter...he's the "go to" guy around here.

Mark
Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURRIETA45 View Post
PM Sleighter...he's the "go to" guy around here.

Mark
Thank you sir
Old 05-14-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahrob View Post
Thank you sir
Old 05-27-2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinjanko View Post
One of the reasons I do my qual at FTA in Raahauges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp View Post
Where can I get a pair..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
I like it colored
Old 05-31-2018, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupuseven View Post
also a bit a helpful info....
He started to tell me "if my character letters were dated..."
I Interrupted and said "I was gonna wait until I got closer to my date to get those."
"you're one of the good ones.." with a sigh of relief "you have no Idea how often this is an issue..."

So best to wait to get those signed just before the interview?
Old 06-01-2018, 8:11 AM
Adventure Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
So best to wait to get those signed just before the interview?
I would say no more the 6 months out. No less then a month being it may take time to get them back from folks.

He didn't give a time frame for them to be "expired."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2018, 7:43 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Dumb View Post
A buddy of mine in Riverside is interested in starting the process. What is the approximate wait time you guys are seeing lately?

Edit: 2 years?
I applied last month and my date was Dec. 2019. Riverside
Old 06-02-2018, 9:55 AM

It's worth the wait! I would call in every few months or so (not enough to get them to know your name though - don't want to be known as a pest). I know several people who were bumped up, one as much as 6 months.
Old 06-02-2018, 1:29 PM

2 year wait for me

Last edited by Instajc556; 09-12-2018 at 5:51 PM..
Old 06-02-2018, 2:45 PM
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

Just finished Class and range qual with Riverside SO. Bunch of cool guys! No stress on anyone and they were helpful to the people that needed it. I think everybody passed without issues.. spoke with one guy who just happened to call and see if he could get his date moved up. His original date for interview was sometime in 2019, and was moved up to last month and qualified today. They get cancellations and you might be the lucky caller.

As for me, they said hopefully 4 weeks to get the call for pick up
X2

Tac-Tags.com
Old 06-04-2018, 11:17 AM

I just noticed that the Riv Co application has been updated as of 05/31/18. It now shows the CCW unit being located on the 5th floor of a bldg located off of Lemon St in riverside and not at Ben Clark.

Has anybody recently interviewed at the "new" location or are interviews still being held at BC

Mark
Old 06-04-2018, 5:47 PM
Adventure Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Emailed inquiry for apt on July 2.
Reply recieved July 5th:
scheduled to come in on October 16, 2018 at 1030 hrs.
apt was moved to Feb 15th, 2018
Livescan completed Feb 27th, 2018
Today 04/03/18 Turned in(emailed PDF's) all paperwork from CCW class and range qual w/Street Safe Defense. (delay was partly me due to work schedule)

now its a waiting game...
And got this today!

Hello, your permit has been approved.* You can pick-it-up anytime Monday – Thursday between 7.30am and 4.30pm or Fridays 7.30am – 3.30pm.* You have a balance of $80.00 dollars due at the time of pick-up cashier’s check or money order, payable to the Riverside Sheriff’s Department.* No appointment necessary.* See you soon.
Our office is now located at the address located below my name.
You can also go to our web link for the address and directions.*
Thanks for your patience.
Larry
Deputy L. Searles ID #3125
Sheriff’s Adminstration/CCW Unit
4095 Lemon Street, 5th*floor
Riverside, Ca 92501
951-486-2856

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2018, 7:54 PM

Jan 2016 - Called for appointment
Feb 28 2018 - Interview
March 1 2018 - Livescan
April 7 2018 - Qualify (Ben Clark)
May 23 2018 - Emailed for status. Was told it was in admin review.
June 6 2018 - Called to pick up permit

Looks like things are moving faster now days though.
Old 06-05-2018, 8:18 AM

Quote:

Our office is now located at the address located below my name.

4095 Lemon Street, 5th*floor
Riverside, Ca 92501
951-486-2856

This answers my question!

Thanks....Mark