Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > Santa Margarita Gun Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Santa Margarita Gun Club Competitive Shooting Sports for Active and Retired Military, civilians and juniors

Old 06-27-2011, 2:44 PM

Default What makes you attend a match

Just wondering what makes diffeent shooters tick.
What either makes you attend or disregard going to a match.
Also if you could come up with a match what would it be, ie more prac, mid range, 3,5, 6 etc etc.
I have been brainstorming but dont want to release the master plan.
I want to make sure that those that show up and shoot, have fun and are left wanting more.

memo
Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Sticking to the posted course of fire keeps me coming back to a club that holds matches. When the match officials change things up the day before, or the day of the event, it causes gear prep issues.

I understand SMGC's requirement to abide by the last minute range changes due to being a guest of USMC, but when those running the matches change things up randomly, it really affects my desire to show up. There are always other more constistent events around ... smallbore rifle, pistol etc .. and they tend to garner my attention first. I go to SMGC when I am in need of retaining/obtaining NRA HP classification. I wish it were more often, but past results have led me to compete elsewhere.
Old 07-27-2011, 4:51 PM

I like shooting the 600 and 1k matches. I like to go to matches to improve my skills, meet other shooters and exchange knowledge / info with others.
Old 07-27-2011, 6:40 PM

Memo, you guy's are doing a good job, people have their own reasons for passing on a match, usually it has nothing to do with the way it's run but can be more a matter of personal schedules or weather the individual just feels "up" to it, being a match director myself I appreciate the effort that goes into putting on an event, you'll be seeing more of me this year!
Gary Eliseo
Old 07-28-2011, 6:10 AM

Thanks to all those who have responded.
I take it personal when someone comes out and does not have a good time, Heck I even take it to heart when someone comes out and has eqiupment/ammo failures. I have been know to and will continue to share my equipment.
We will continue to improve things. After all that is what the sport is about, shoot good and have fun. Hope to see everyone again on the range.

Memo
Old 07-28-2011, 6:44 AM

Hi NikNak,

Sorry you feel that way, seems to me your making your opinion up off of very isolated incidents. In fact I can only think of a practice session that was changed up last minute this last year.

If we feel the need to change something up, like, the July substitution of a Garand Match, it's done with several days notice at minimum.

My Match Directors, Memo and Carlos for HP and Andre for LR, are working very hard to bring you all a steady stream of fun and challenging events, while maintaining a NRA CMP competitive environment. They are energizing the programs, crossing the Ts and doting the Is; you really should try to get past what ever happened to you in the past and not hold a grudge, you'll be the one missing out. These Ranges are the finest facilities you'll find in CA, there's nothing like it available to the shooting community anywhere else!

Gary, thanks for the kind words, I know Andre, Carlos and Memo appreciate it. They're working hard at it.

John Hermsen, President
SMGC