Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 AM

Default Firestar M40 Ejector Issue

I just recently got a used Firestar M40 in .40 S&W and when I finally got to take it to the range, I learned that it jams after EVERY shot. It's a failure to eject. The shell will extract from the chamber, but not eject and will try to feed a new round causing a jam. After taking it apart and looking at a Firestar manual so see whats what, I noticed that the ejector has extreme side to side play. Could that be the cause? And since parts are so hard to find would you think that its a very costly repair for the gunsmith? Thank God this isn't my only weapon lol my faithful AR has never failed me.
Old 06-15-2010, 4:09 PM

I have an M40 with a broken extractor & can't find another one to replace it. It occassionally extracts--- like 1 in 10!

Anyway . . .

Maybe your ejector is broken on the tip? Mine measures 21mm from the tip to the rear. Can you see it when the slide is held open? Also, mine is very loose as well.

Last edited by JohnBrian; 06-15-2010 at 4:55 PM..
Old 06-15-2010, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...31#post1367431 This guy has star parts. He is in spain but he has been selling parts on the forums for years. You might have to join the forum to get his email. This is an old email but it might work. jorge.la@teleline.es Mark

Last edited by railroader; 06-15-2010 at 4:50 PM..
Old 06-15-2010, 5:04 PM

Thank you railroader. I have an M45 and while I've never had a problem, this is an underrated gun and it is good to know I "might" be able to find parts should the need arise. Makes shooting it less of a worry.
Old 06-15-2010, 5:31 PM
Veteran Member

firestar@telefonica.net Here's another email for Jorge in spain. This is another company that I found that has star parts. http://www.iparguns.com/ing/index.htm Mark
Old 06-15-2010, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrian View Post
I have an M40 with a broken extractor & can't find another one to replace it. It occassionally extracts--- like 1 in 10!

Anyway . . .

Maybe your ejector is broken on the tip? Mine measures 21mm from the tip to the rear. Can you see it when the slide is held open? Also, mine is very loose as well.

IMG

IMG
THANKS so much, I've been stressing over this since I got the handgun. The ejector is broken off flush with the square part of the ejector. And I'm a bit disappointed that the previous owner did not inform me of this, instead saying it never had a jam or problem and proceeding with a trade... Now I hope I can get a new ejector. What a horrible first handgun purchase experience.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:

Anyway . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee_IsMe View Post
THANKS so much, I've been stressing over this since I got the handgun. The ejector is broken off flush with the square part of the ejector. And I'm a bit disappointed that the previous owner did not inform me of this, instead saying it never had a jam or problem and proceeding with a trade... Now I hope I can get a new ejector. What a horrible first handgun purchase experience.
If he/she is a member here you need to "out" them on their lying ways.

Glad I could be of help!
Old 06-16-2010, 2:00 AM
Veteran Member

Just as a side note when the gun is taken a part to replace the ejector, underneath the ambi safeties are one or two small detents and springs. I can't remember if its one or two. The detents are very small and are very easy to launch never to be seen again. I think the grips need to be removed and the safeties need to be rotated downward to the rear to get them out. Mark
Old 06-16-2010, 8:52 AM

Quote:
If he/she is a member here you need to "out" them on their lying ways.

Glad I could be of help!
They are a member here, but I am not the type of guy to do that lol. Maybe he really didn't know. He seemed like a real straight shooter when I met him, and my brother got an amazing working 9x18 Makarov from him. So jealous lol.

ALSO Jorge is selling the extractor and new spring, and ejectors likewise for $35 with min. $15 shipping from Spain. Lifesaver.
Old 06-16-2010, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroader View Post
Just as a side note when the gun is taken a part to replace the ejector, underneath the ambi safeties are one or two small detents and springs. I can't remember if its one or two. The detents are very small and are very easy to launch never to be seen again. I think the grips need to be removed and the safeties need to be rotated downward to the rear to get them out. Mark
Thanks, I don't think I'm too good with handguns yet to totally take it apart though. I think I might leave it for a job for a gunsmith if I cant seem to get it. But then, I feel like it's a good thing to learn right?

And thanks railroader for Jorge's contact info. I got in touch with him at firestar@telefonica.net with relative speed. I'm assume its a wierd time diff there so he contacted me back at 3am. Can't wait to get the parts and become part of the proud Firestar owners.

Last edited by JayTee_IsMe; 06-16-2010 at 8:57 AM..
Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 AM

If you decide to take it apart yourself see if you can do it inside a clear plastic bag -- that will help contain springs and parts that tend to fly, never to be found again (especially in a carpeted room!).
Old 09-03-2010, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

I see that you're trying to sell a Firestar M40 in this thread, stating that you think it has a broken extractor. Is it the same one, I wonder?
Old 11-04-2010, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
I see that you're trying to sell a Firestar M40 in this thread, stating that you think it has a broken extractor. Is it the same one, I wonder?
Sorry for the late response. But yes. It is the same one. I fixed the ejector, but it still fails to fully extract.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sci61AF23g
Old 11-04-2010, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee_IsMe View Post
Sorry for the late response. But yes. It is the same one. I fixed the ejector, but it still fails to fully extract.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sci61AF23g
Try this suggestion: thoroughly clean with alcohol and lightly grease frame and slide rails with a light weight synthetic grease. Slide Glide, TW25b or even a quality synthetic bicycle grease. Also grease the barrel to slide locking rings and slide to barrel cone. A very light coating is best.

AFA ammo selection, use HV JHP ammo and avoid any plinking FMJ ammo such as Wally mart Federal.

The combined short barrel design coupled with modified Browning delayed locking system and slide recoil SPEED is very critical to reliable feeding and extraction.

I have two Star Firestar handguns. My short barrel M-43, 9mm, also very accurate is ammo sensitive.
Old 12-09-2010, 3:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Really glad I found this thread. I have an M40 that has extraction issues as well. Always seems to work fine with Wally world Federal ball and WWB for the first 20 rounds or so, but then after that it fails to extract the spent brass completely (extracts if maybe 1/4 of the way), and the next round tries to feed causing it to jam. I know my ejector is also very loose, I will look tonight and see if it's broken as well. I'll try the other advice in this thread, but is there anything else I should look for while I'm in there? Have either of you had problems with the gun only extracting part way?
Old 12-10-2010, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrock View Post
Really glad I found this thread. I have an M40 that has extraction issues as well. Always seems to work fine with Wally world Federal ball and WWB for the first 20 rounds or so, but then after that it fails to extract the spent brass completely (extracts if maybe 1/4 of the way), and the next round tries to feed causing it to jam. I know my ejector is also very loose, I will look tonight and see if it's broken as well. I'll try the other advice in this thread, but is there anything else I should look for while I'm in there? Have either of you had problems with the gun only extracting part way?
If it is loose the spring is broken/worn out/installed incorrectly. The extractor should be very hard to move in/out. If you can move it with your fingernail it is way too loose. (This is generally true of the extractor of any firearm.)

Also, if the pin may not be fully installed. The pin needs to go through both sides of the extractor & into the bottom hole.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
If it is loose the spring is broken/worn out/installed incorrectly. The extractor should be very hard to move in/out. If you can move it with your fingernail it is way too loose. (This is generally true of the extractor of any firearm.)

Also, if the pin may not be fully installed. The pin needs to go through both sides of the extractor & into the bottom hole.
The extractor on the M-43 I bought new in '93 is made to be loose. As are several Star M-43, 40 45 specimens that I have handled in the past. The Firestar M-43 extractor rides in a slide channel which holds it in place.

EJECTION issues occur when the ejector is fouled, dirty or worn. Length of cartridge is often a factor - my M-43 reliably feeds JHP and WWB FMJ but chokes on Federal FMJ cartridge which is slightly longer.

The Firestar short barrel M series handguns are fine defensive weapons, they just happen to be ammo sensitive.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWbiker View Post
The extractor on the M-43 I bought new in '93 is made to be loose. As are several Star M-43, 40 45 specimens that I have handled in the past. The Firestar M-43 extractor rides in a slide channel which holds it in place.

EJECTION issues occur when the ejector is fouled, dirty or worn. Length of cartridge is often a factor - my M-43 reliably feeds JHP and WWB FMJ but chokes on Federal FMJ cartridge which is slightly longer.

The Firestar short barrel M series handguns are fine defensive weapons, they just happen to be ammo sensitive.
Agreed, my M40 is loose however it does ride in a channel in the slide durring normal opperation. Amunition choice has not chaned any thing on my M40. It has fed everything feed it, FMJ, JHP, LWC, Law enforcement by Ranger etc.

Great underated guns.
Old 12-10-2010, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think you guys are confusing the extractor with the ejector. The ejector is connected to the frame and the extractor is on the outside of the slide. The extractor pulls the shell out of the barrel then it hits the ejector which directs the shell out of the slide. Mark
Old 12-10-2010, 1:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I checked this morning. My ejector is loose and wobbles a bit, I understand this is normal and I've never had issues with properly extracted brass being ejected once it is extracted. However, my extractor was fairly easy to move with the tip of my finger and I suspect this may be the culprit.

I'm no gunsmith, and don't want to get into replacing tiny springs right now on my own. Assuming that the ejector spring is weak/broken and needs to be replaced, about how much cost in labor should I expect to replace it once I have already ordered and paid for the part? This is a defensive handgun for me and I need it to operate reliably 100%. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2011, 3:47 AM

Default Need HELP ASAP!

I was cleaning my firestar m-40 .40 cal S&W and my safety switch came loose and need help ASAP!! if anyone can..

thank you in advanced for the advice.
Old 02-21-2011, 8:55 AM

I would help but I dont have my firestar to reference to anymore! Sorry I do hope someone can help though.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_james2000 View Post
I was cleaning my firestar m-40 .40 cal S&W and my safety switch came loose and need help ASAP!! if anyone can..

thank you in advanced for the advice.
Did you turn the safety down with the grips off? If you did you might have launched the spring and detent that's under the left side of the safety. Mark