Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-30-2009, 5:51 PM
In Memoriam

Default The 1000 yard range at Sac Valley - who can use & when

This question comes up kind of frequently so I thought I would try and clarify things for everyone.

The 1000 yard range -range #12 - is a competition range, also called the High Power range, with firing lines at 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900 and 1000 yards. There are 25 shooting positions at each firing line with 25 corresponding target carriers. There are NO target stands at any distance. The target carriers are designed to hold a 6'x6' target frame. There are NO steel targets on this range.

The 1000 yard line is the only one with a cover (roof). There are some heavy steel/concrete benches at 600 and 1000 yards. No stools or chairs. All the firing lines are covered with crushed gravel.

The range does not provide targets for the 1K range. Targets and frames are controlled by the main groups that use the range for competition. The 4 main groups being:

Palma- long range, iron sight, prone shooters (800 to 1000 yards).
Bench Rest - 600 & 1000 yard Bench Rest shooters.
High Power (HP) - Short to Mid range XTC (across the course) positions shooters (200 to 600 yards).
Tactical Long range - Kind of a combination of F Class, long range and position shooting with scoped rifles (200 to 1000 yards). Or as Ahhnother8 calls us, F'ers

The first 3 groups keep all their target frames and targets in a conex box in the target pits of the 1K range. The Tactical group has their own conex with with their targets and frames.

Only specified people from each of those groups has a key and/or access to their conex box, and is authorized to open up the 1K range for use.

All of those groups have established practice days, and have generally allowed anyone, Sac Valley member or not, to shoot with them. You need only be willing to follow their planned Course of Fire (COF) agenda and rules for the day. Palma typically will only shoot at 800, 900 and 1000 yards. Bench Rest at EITHER 600 or 1000. HP at 200, 300, 600 yards. Tactical at 200 - 1000.

Bench Rest practices on Monday.
Palma practices on Tuesday.
HP on Thursday only when scheduled.
Tactical on the 1st Saturday of each month, and more often than not on each Friday pending range availability.

To find out more details one should contact the match director for each discipline. That info can be found here:
http://www.sacvalley.org/SacVal/Shooting_Events.html

Except for Palma - Send a PM to Ahhnother8 for that

To see if there is a scheduled practice check the Sac Valley range monthly calender here: http://www.sacvalley.org/SacVal/Monthly_Calendars.html

Sometimes a person from one of those groups, or the whole group, will schedule a practice day that will not show up on the calender, such as when someone from the Tactical group will reserve the 1K range on a Friday because it becomes available. So it's always a good idea to call the range office and ask the staff if anyone is scheduled to practice on a day not shown the calender. They can be reached at the range at (916) 354-9668.

Anyone can also shoot in any of the competitive events on the 1K range without being a member of the Sac Valley range. But competitive events have specific rules regarding types of equipment that can be used, time limits, positions, etc. So before coming to a competitive event check with the match director or come observe one first.

The 1K range has a 2 person rule. Part of that is for safety in case something happens to someone. The other is because if one person is shooting, someone has to be in the target pits working/marking the target.

Not just any Sac Valley member can open the 1K range. They HAVE to be on the approved list as mentioned earlier. This is because each group pays for and supplies their own targets and frames, and pays for and maintains the target carriers. When they break/get shot up, we pay for the materials and we make the repairs.

As long as one of the two persons is a Sac Valley member AND on one of the approved lists, they can open and shoot on the 1K range if it is available. People get on the approved lists at the discretion of the match directors from each discipline.

The target carriers are designed to be used with a 6 foot x 6 foot target frame. No other frames are allowed.

Ok, those are pretty much the basic facts. Some of the other 1K users might chime in if I've missed something.

Some helpful information.

If you come to a practice session, it's best if you come with a partner. Because someone has to pull your target when you are shooting and vice versa.

Sometimes there is an odd number of people and you might be asked to pull 2 targets.

A stint in the pits pulling a target can last from 30 minutes to 1-1/2 hours. Bring something to eat and drink.

Dress for the weather. Some groups shoot rain or shine.

If you have never shot long range before, have "dope" (a drop card/chart) for the load/rifle combination you are shooting that day. Working your way up by trial and error method is frowned upon and you will probably be asked to stop shooting. If you don't have a dope card, the Sac Valley range normally has a chronograph that can be rented. Chronograph your load and then run the numbers you get through the JBM online ballistics calculator http://www.jbmballistics.com/~jbm/cg...bmtraj-5.0.cgi This will get you close and at worse will have your first shot on paper to be marked.

All the groups will have you pay a range fee that goes to the Sac Valley range. Some will ask you to pay an additional fee to help them cover the cost of their targets, etc. On the competition ranges Sac Valley charges $5 for members, $14 for non members - that's for as long as you are on the range that day.

All the groups are good guys. While they may be biased towards the discipline they shoot, (Tactical thinks Palma/HP use too much equipment, Palma/HP thinks Tactical are wimps for needing a bipod) if you need help they will help you if you are a) safe and b) humble about asking for help. The Palma shooters are some of the best wind readers in the game. Shooting long range accurately is all about reading the wind.

At this time, the largest cartridge these groups allow is 338 Lapua Magnum.

The Tactical group has no problems with a rifle that has a muzzle brake. It's part of our game.
The Palma and Bench Rest people you need to ask. If they are shooting under the roof at 1K they might say no (they are incredibly loud under the roof).

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match

Last edited by Pthfndr; 08-08-2013 at 9:31 PM..
Old 08-30-2009, 5:57 PM

Great post. Superbly written. This should be added to the range's website too.
Old 08-30-2009, 6:09 PM

Thanks for this post!

So from the NCPPRC site it looks like if a non-member (of club AND range) wants to shoot during their practice on the 1k range they can just pay range fees plus their club fee and perform the course of fire with that club correct? Or is one of those cards they hand out that say you can shoot past 2/300 yds required before that point?
Old 08-30-2009, 6:27 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for the awesome post!
Old 08-30-2009, 6:31 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Thanks for this post!

So from the NCPPRC site it looks like if a non-member (of club AND range) wants to shoot during their practice on the 1k range they can just pay range fees plus their club fee and perform the course of fire with that club correct?
This is correct. If you come out with the NCPPRC or one of the other groups, you do not need the "300 yard" card the range requires to shoot on the public 300 yard range.

Old 08-30-2009, 8:20 PM

I've got another clarification question.... sorry to make this so complicated.

Say I went there as a sac valley range member, are there any days when its just a free shoot at 1k or less range or is the 1k range only used when one of those specific groups are practicing?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:14 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
I've got another clarification question.... sorry to make this so complicated.

Say I went there as a sac valley range member, are there any days when its just a free shoot at 1k or less range
No, not on the 1K range. But if you are a member, you would also have access to the 500 Meter (550 yards) steel silhouette range. That range also has a 2 person rule. It is generally not used by any group on weekdays, and is frequently available during the later weekends of a month.

Quote:
or is the 1k range only used when one of those specific groups are practicing?
Not exactly. As I tried to explain in the OP, if there is no regularly scheduled event or regularly scheduled practice, someone who is a Sac Valley member AND on one of the approval lists to open and operate the 1K range might call in and ask to reserve the range on an open date for their use. They have to adhere to the 2 person rule, and that person can be a non member guest.

Example: I'm on the approved list for the Tactical Long Range group (among others). The Nor Cal Practical Precision Rifle Club (NCPPRC). We're a club independent of the Folsom Shooting Club (which owns and operates the Sac Valley range) and we put on the Tactical Long range matches. I'm also a Sac Valley (FSC) member.

So I see there is nothing scheduled for the 1K range on Friday Sept 3. (actually there will be a NCPPRC practice that day because we are putting on a long range clinic on the 4th) I call the Operations Manager at the range and confirm that and tell I'd like to reserve the 1K for that day. He puts me on his schedule book for that day. I show up that day with at least one other person (they don't have to be a member of anything), unlock the NCPPRC conex, put up targets and we shoot on the 1K range for all day if we want to

The NCPPRC has a rule of it's own that as a condition of using their targets, frames, etc, any member that reserves the 1K range has to allow any other NCPPRC members (and their guest) to come share the range with them. The person who reserved the range does have the right to set any COF/schedule of shooting for that since they reserved it. That person is also obliged to post on the NCPPRC discussion forum that they have the range reserved, and any specific format they are going to follow that day.

Examples of that:
The NCPPRC has a "standard" practice day format that specifies how much time is spent at each firing line of 10 minutes. This is so everyone does not have to spend all day at the range.

Another is last weekend I reserved the range because I and some other shooters wanted to spend some lengthy time at certain distances specifically working on reading wind conditions. Lots of watching conditions, less shooting.

In the second instance, I as a Sac Valley member, who is also on the Tactical Long range approved list, opened the 1K range to anyone who wanted to come shoot on it. It was not the "group" who opened it that day. And there have been more than a few times that people who have never been to one of our matches showed up and asked if they could practice with us. Not a problem.

But one cannot just show up any time during the day and start shooting with us. Other conditions we (the NCPPRC) have is that there be a safety brief before the shooting starts that covers safety procedures and firing line SOPs. Everyone also has to sign the NCPPRC waiver (because you are shooting under the supervision of one of our people) and non NCPPRC members pay $10 (because you would be using our equipment).

The person who reserved the range is the range officer for the day unless he designates someone else. As long as you do what the RO says, you are good to go. Just as if you were on the 100 yard public range.

Last edited by Pthfndr; 08-08-2013 at 9:35 PM..
Old 08-30-2009, 10:37 PM

Great post and thanks for the info. A nice addition to this would be suggested equipment for the various types of long range shooting.

I'm probably like many here - in that 100 yards is the longest course of fire readily available to me. I'd love to try my hand at longer range shooting, but don't really want to purchase a 338 Lapua just to try it out. I'm thinking more along the lines of a long barreled 223 with a good scope (and maybe a bipod), since all I care about is holes in paper or rings on a gong. So how about a "here is the minimum you need to get started with long(er) range shooting" thread/post?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:01 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Boy View Post
Great post and thanks for the info. A nice addition to this would be suggested equipment for the various types of long range shooting.

I'm probably like many here - in that 100 yards is the longest course of fire readily available to me. I'd love to try my hand at longer range shooting, but don't really want to purchase a 338 Lapua just to try it out. I'm thinking more along the lines of a long barreled 223 with a good scope (and maybe a bipod), since all I care about is holes in paper or rings on a gong. So how about a "here is the minimum you need to get started with long(er) range shooting" thread/post?

Thanks!
Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=214398

That's for scoped rifles such as used in various types of mid to long range tactical matches. They would also be acceptable for starting out in F T/R class prone matches, or just plinking at steel at distance.

A rifle in .223 is generally good for 100-600 yards with good ammo, a .308 will get you out to 1000 yards. No need for a 338LM.

Last edited by Pthfndr; 08-30-2009 at 11:04 PM..
Old 08-30-2009, 11:29 PM

Thanks!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 4:49 AM
Calguns Addict

This video recorded at the National LR Championships in Camp Perry was posted recently:

It's the only youtube video I know of that explains how the butts/pits work.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 08-31-2009, 5:36 AM

Looks interesting. I'll have to look into this more once I get my SPR setup. Coming from a free state where I could find 1000m ranges to this is fun. I'm building this rifle FOR long distance shots because I've always thought it was cool to be able to do that and I'd like to figure out how to do it.

Is there any of those groups that might help a shooter advance and learn about this so they don't "waste people's time not knowing what they're doing"?
Old 08-31-2009, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn556 View Post
Looks interesting. I'll have to look into this more once I get my SPR setup. Coming from a free state where I could find 1000m ranges to this is fun. I'm building this rifle FOR long distance shots because I've always thought it was cool to be able to do that and I'd like to figure out how to do it.

Is there any of those groups that might help a shooter advance and learn about this so they don't "waste people's time not knowing what they're doing"?
Go and watch one of their matches. Watch how everything flows and you'll get the hang of it. Gun owners are incredibly nice people, 95% of people will help you. Then again I tend to avoid shady looking people.

Last edited by fusionstar; 08-31-2009 at 9:26 AM..
Old 08-31-2009, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for this post!

So from the NCPPRC site it looks like if a non-member (of club AND range) wants to shoot during their practice on the 1k range they can just pay range fees plus their club fee and perform the course of fire with that club correct? Or is one of those cards they hand out that say you can shoot past 2/300 yds required before that point?

That is correct. No membership require. All you need to do is pay sac valley fees + 5.00 to NCPPRC so that we can cover our cost.

If you are new just let us know and we try to pair you up with someone shooting the same caliber so that they can help you with wind calls and what not.

The only thing we are anal about is safety. Other than that we will do our best to ensure shooters have a safe and good experience shooting long range.

Rob,

Great post. This question comes up about 20 times a month while we are out there.

Vu

Please visit us @ www.ncpprc.com for more info.
Old 09-03-2009, 8:35 PM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Excellent info! You answered about a dozen questions that I planned to ask someone eventually.

Clarifications please on these points, my interest is Tactical Long Range:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthfndr View Post
This is because each group pays for and supplies their own targets and frames, and pays for and maintains the target carriers.
If I show up and pay the fees, does that mean the targets are provided and I don't need to bring any? Or can I at least buy them there for an additional fee?

Quote:
If you come to a practice session, it's best if you come with a partner. Because someone has to pull your target when you are shooting and vice versa.
If I don't have a partner to bring, is it best to come alone and try to pair up with someone else on arrival, or should I try to pair up with someone in advance (via the ncpprc forum or similar)? I can get my wife out to the local "range", but 2 hours down to Sacto... not so much.

Quote:
But one cannot just show up any time during the day and start shooting with us. Other conditions we (the NCPPRC) have is that there be a safety brief before the shooting starts that covers safety procedures and firing line SOPs.
Is there a typical start time for the safety brief? Or does it vary for each practice session? I'd be driving about 2 hours, just trying to figure out if I need to start making motel reservations. :-)

P.S. - If you guys happen to have a video of one of your safety briefs available, that would be nifty-swell to watch in advance.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:30 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGuy View Post
Excellent info! You answered about a dozen questions that I planned to ask someone eventually.

Clarifications please on these points, my interest is Tactical Long Range:

If I show up and pay the fees, does that mean the targets are provided and I don't need to bring any? Or can I at least buy them there for an additional fee?
Targets are provided. You don't need to bring any. As at a match, each shot will be pasted and marked with the yardage the shot was made from. You get the target back when you're done so you can keep it for later analysis of things like elevation come ups, wind calls etc.

Quote:
If I don't have a partner to bring, is it best to come alone and try to pair up with someone else on arrival, or should I try to pair up with someone in advance (via the ncpprc forum or similar)? I can get my wife out to the local "range", but 2 hours down to Sacto... not so much.
Bringing a partner is not a requirement. At a practice, the RO for the day will squad people. How that is done will vary depending on what the shooters are trying to accomplish during practice, and how many new shooters we have. We try to spread the new shooters among the experienced guys so they can help them if needed. If there's an odd number of people then someone pulls 2 targets. That would usually fall to an experienced person. No need to make arrangements in advance. On a match day the match director (me) makes up the squads. Usually new shooters will be on first relay because the wind is easier to deal with (don't want to discourage first timers!)

Quote:
Is there a typical start time for the safety brief? Or does it vary for each practice session? I'd be driving about 2 hours, just trying to figure out if I need to start making motel reservations. :-)
Normal procedure for a practice day - this is for the tactical long range group - is to sign in at the range office and pay the range fee there. Normally this is between 7:30-8. Then everyone meets up in the target pits, signs the NCPPRC waiver and any NCPPRC fees are collected, squads are made up and the safety brief is given. By the time all that is done and we get targets set up it's about 8:30 or so. The Sac Valley range opens at 7:30. If you show up in the pits by 8 you will be good to go.

Quote:
P.S. - If you guys happen to have a video of one of your safety briefs available, that would be nifty-swell to watch in advance.
Well, I don't have a video since the safety brief is read out loud. It's not a demonstration sort of thing. But below is the meat of the safety brief that we read every time, without exception. The Tactical group - The NCPPRC - doesn't care if you are a good shooter or not, experienced or not, but we take safety VERY seriously (all the groups do). We haven't lost anyone yet and want to keep our record spotless in that regard.

Safety/Range Rules

I. Participants must be given a safety brief and sign all range release forms. Observers must sign all range release forms.

II. Everyone must use eye and ear protection on the firing line and in the pits.

III. All shooters must have/use empty chamber indicator flags. Empty chamber indicators will be inserted at all times unless it is your turn to shoot. Magazines must be removed.

IV. Muzzle Control - Rifles will be carried MUZZLE UP or DOWN with bolts out of battery, chamber flags inserted and magazines/ammo removed from the rifle. The muzzle of your rifle will not sweep any part of another person’s body or your own. Maintain muzzle control at ALL times.

V. Once shooters are on the firing line no participant or observer shall leave the pit area without getting confirmation from the pit boss that it is safe to leave the pit area.

Firing Line Standard Operating Procedures

I. All participants will drive or car pool to each of the firing lines.

II. Any Negligent Discharge (N.D.) of a firearm will result in the competitor’s immediate removal from the practice session. The RO may call an N.D. using his own judgment. Example: If the competitor was clearly not on target.

III. Do not start prepping rifles and keep all rifles unloaded until the line is called HOT by the RO.

IV. Once the RO has called for a cease fire please remove all ammo, magazines, and insert empty chamber flags into rifles before leaving the firing line.

V. If there is a malfunction that a participant can’t clear on his or her own the Range Safety Officer must be notified immediately. If the RO is unable to clear the malfunction the participant will be asked to cease fire for the rest of the practice session. If a live round or case is stuck in the chamber that can’t be removed the bolt of the rifle will be removed to ensure the rifle can’t be fired.

VI. Failing to follow the safety rules or the Range Officer’s/Pit Boss’s commands may result in removal from the practice session.

VII. Everyone is a safety officer out here and is able to call a CEASE FIRE when there is an unsafe condition. Please stay safe and aware at all times.

Last edited by Pthfndr; 09-03-2009 at 10:45 PM..
Old 09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
This video recorded at the National LR Championships in Camp Perry was posted recently:

It's the only youtube video I know of that explains how the butts/pits work.
Jonathon

Thanks for posting that video!

For those who have never pulled targets before, that's what it's like. More often than not there will only be one person pulling and marking each target. The shooter sends a round down. When you see the impact (at Sac Valley there is a nice big dirt impact berm making it easy to see when a round has been fired on a target), you pull the target down and insert a "spotter", then put the target back up. When the next round comes you pull the target down, pull out the "spotter" and put a "paster" on the hole, then put the "spotter" in the new hole, and send the target back up.

That's how it's done for High Power and Palma in both matches and practices. For the Tactical Long Range (TLR), at practices it's done that way most of the time. For the TLR matches we usually shoot in 3 shot strings. So same procedure only you don't pull the target until after all 3 shots are made.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Good post Rob.
Good catch on the pits video Jon.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-04-2009, 7:19 AM

How the Tuesday Palma/Long-range practice works:

We meet at the range office at 8:00 to pay range fees. It is $5 for members and $10 for non-members. We then put up all the range flags, sometimes only on the upwind side, and put the target frames in the carriers. Then we all end up in the pits and divide into two equal groups. One heads to the line and the other pulls targets. The groups rotate shooting and pulling until everyone is done shooting, typically about 12:00. Then we all go to lunch in Plymouth or Rancho Murrieta.

We generally shoot at 800, 900, and 1000 yards. There are no time limits or restrictions on number of rounds fired. It is VERY informal and the goals are typically learning the wind or testing loads. The shooters may talk throughout a string comparing sight settings or wind observations. And the target pullers talk about how the shooters can't read the wind to save their lives, as they move the spotter back and forth on the targets.

If there is a mid-range match coming up, the group may choose to shoot at the shorter yard lines the week before, or not. If someone needs a sight zero for a certain yard line, that is generally not a problem. We decide what course of fire to shoot each morning.

We shoot about 45 weeks out of the year. During March Madness, the State Championships in Coalinga, or when most of us are shooting out of state, we may miss a week. PM me if you have any specific questions, as I may not check back here often.

Lane
Old 09-04-2009, 7:41 AM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thanks for the answers, Rob!

Quote:
When you see the impact (at Sac Valley there is a nice big dirt impact berm making it easy to see when a round has been fired on a target), you pull the target down and insert a "spotter", then put the target back up.
At longer ranges, will the "spotter" be clearly visible to a shooter looking through their 15x-ish scope? Or should I bring my spotter scope?
Old 09-04-2009, 7:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGuy View Post
At longer ranges, will the "spotter" be clearly visible to a shooter looking through their 15x-ish scope?
Yes.
They use a huge spotter past 500yds.
It's around 5" or 6" in diameter.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It's around 5" or 6" in diameter.
Correct. 5" spotter is used in accordance to NRA rules which indicate a 5" shot spotter be used at distances beyond 600 yards.

Note in photo below an official NRA LR target. 10" X-ring.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 09-05-2009, 9:03 PM

Default 223 at 1k sac val

My oldest boy got an x , hitting the left lower leg of the x as his last shot while competing as a junior at the 1k yard line. This was in large part due to the coaching he received from a high master national champ. We shot a Berger 80 gr with 25 gr of Varget in a Fulton armory space gun upper in .223 with a winchester case. By the way 3 cheers for the coach, i've never met anyone I respected more in the shooting fraternity. Bottom line, join an NRA club and start shooting some high power at whatever range. Most of your questions will be answered.

p.s. - you can probably shoot just as well, if not better, using open sights. I've shot both and there doesn't seem to be any real advantage to the scope, since the targets are printed smaller for scopes.

p.p.s - all the ballistics you'll ever need are in the Hornady reloading manual. I'd recommend buying one and reading it. I think the one event that wasn't mentioned would be the "Folsom Special" which is prone at 400, 500, and 800 yards. I always shoot that with a .223 and I never have any real trouble.
Old 09-10-2009, 7:30 PM

how far in advance to you post your training....or did I miss that....If you are holding an private training, then do you post that in advance and is that only on the NC websight?
Old 09-10-2009, 7:47 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnzrme View Post
how far in advance to you post your training....or did I miss that....If you are holding an private training, then do you post that in advance and is that only on the NC websight?
If by training you mean the clinic, we've always posted about it here when registration opens, which is usually 2 months before the event. We also try to give some advance notice that there will be a clinic so people interested can keep a watch for it.

We hold a regular monthly long range match the 1st Sunday of each month, and some of the guys are usually out practicing weekly on Friday (we have lots of state and county workers).

Old 11-08-2009, 9:34 AM

With all the views on this thread, one would think that we would see more new faces at the 1000. There are LR matches both days this coming weekend (Nov. 14 & 15), and Tuesday practice is ongoing. Anyone interested should come on out...

Lane
Old 11-15-2009, 5:35 PM
In Memoriam

Next match on the 1K one that would be a great opportunity for new shooters is Saturday Dec 12. The Folsom Special. 300, 500, 600 and 800 yards.

Old 12-19-2009, 9:57 PM

Thanks guys for this posting. I have read it several times.
Old 12-20-2009, 7:58 AM

Vu, Jacob, Rob, Jason, Vic and all the guys at NCPPRC are some of the finest shooters and moreso some of the finest people you could ever meet/talk with. Biggest thing is that they know what they're talking about and want to get people where they are. This is EXTREMELY rare.

If you have questions about getting out to a grand, they can answer all of them and will get you there. Once you get a taste, that's it. I can honestly say that if not for these fine folks and all the members at NCPPRC, I would have been less confident about when my friends and I headed to Allegheny this year. The range at Sac Valley is no joke when it comes to wind calls, but if you get pretty decent with it out there, you can do VERY well just about anywhere in the country.

I haven't been able to get out since September due to school, moving and family, but will be back again one day. While the shooting is great, I miss hanging around with them more than anything else.

So...get out there and shoot! And if you have a chance to attend one of the shooter's clinics, it would be more than worth your while and money to do so. 1k doesn't leave much room for error when it comes to body position and trigger control and believe it when it half a day you're launching pills from a grand that they'll get you in the X-Ring if you do your part.

Rich

"Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

"The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham
Old 12-20-2009, 9:06 AM

I am looking for optics now. Just unpacked a Remmy 5R MilSpec. I look forward to sniffing around with the big dogs...
Old 12-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Contact Mike Cecil at CS Tactical or Bobby at Freedom Gunworks.

Rich

"Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

"The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham
Old 05-18-2010, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideflange View Post
I am looking for optics now. Just unpacked a Remmy 5R MilSpec. I look forward to sniffing around with the big dogs...
me too! i cant wait tell i get the time and can try shooting the 1000. i havnt even sighted in my new 5R though. what about volunteering/helping with the "whole"? are we alowed to? is that possible for non members? will helping with work make it easyer to start shooting at the 1000?
Old 05-18-2010, 7:18 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbangui View Post
me too! i cant wait tell i get the time and can try shooting the 1000. i havnt even sighted in my new 5R though. what about volunteering/helping with the "whole"? are we alowed to? is that possible for non members? will helping with work make it easyer to start shooting at the 1000?
Not sure what you mean by helping with the "whole".

But even non members can can shoot with any of the groups that put on matches or practice sessions in the 1K range. All you have to do is show up at the correct time and sign in.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 PM

oh sorry i watched the video someone added to the thread and just figured there was people checking targets and stuff. if they needed volunteers for that or anything well i cant wait to shoot with you guys! my 5R is almost ready
Old 05-18-2010, 3:40 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
oh sorry i watched the video someone added to the thread and just figured there was people checking targets and stuff. if they needed volunteers for that or anything well i cant wait to shoot with you guys! my 5R is almost ready
Even as a non shooter you are welcome to come out and observe a practice or a match. If you are really energetic, come to a practice and pull a target. We don't use the score sheets for practice but you will learn how to pull and mark a target for one of our matches.

Then, if you are still waiting on your rifle you you can volunteer to pull and score a target during a match.

Old 05-18-2010, 3:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Even as a non shooter you are welcome to come out and observe a practice or a match. If you are really energetic, come to a practice and pull a target. We don't use the score sheets for practice but you will learn how to pull and mark a target for one of our matches.

Then, if you are still waiting on your rifle you you can volunteer to pull and score a target during a match.
If you run out of targets that need to be pulled, I will gladly step aside and let the guy pull the target I was going to be pulling.

Old 05-18-2010, 4:29 PM

haha for sure! i would love to. i just like to take in as much knowledge as possible about anything i do. even though my 5r isnt set up yet for shooting 1000 i would totally like to show up to just watch and learn would i still have to pay range fees? i might not be able to then... :-/ but if i show up on the 5th of june i might be able to just learn, post targets and watch you guys?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
would i still have to pay range fees? i might not be able to then... :-/ but if i show up on the 5th of june i might be able to just learn, post targets and watch you guys?
Observers do not pay any range fees. You still have to sign the liability waivers (just in case Mr. Holdoverinthefog is shooting )

Old 05-18-2010, 10:51 PM

haha awesome i cant wait
Old 05-24-2010, 4:19 PM
Banned

Great post. Good to know.