Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
I don't shoot a Sig P225 as well as I shoot a P226, P228, P229...

I don't shoot a S&W 39 series as well as I shoot a S&W 59 series...

1911's are always a pleasure to shoot, and fairly easy to shoot well...

Glock model 21 grip is a little too large to be comfortable, but they are reliable and some people love that design.

I don't shoot a S&W J frame as well as I shoot a S&W K, L, or N frame...( Even the 2" K frames)
All of this is the responsibility of the shooter, not the sheriff.
Old 04-14-2012, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I believe that anyone that carries a firearm should be able to demonstrate a minimum level of competence with it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauga View Post
Is it the agency that requires the applicant to don a flak vest, helmet and complete a rigidly scored and timed course of fire? There is one.
While I wouldn't have a problem with a "rigidly scored and timed course of fire", I think a realistic standard would be 10 rounds 1 minute, full size silloutte, at 21 feet. I wouldn't have an issue if it were not timed. I would like to see a minimum standard of 70% hits in the black, they don't have to be 10 ring...
Quote:
Previously the Sheriff's dept in San Bernardino County required an applicant to shoot one of the listed guns a total of 10 rounds that required a reload during the process for an unscored course of fire. The purpose of this course of fire was for you to demonstrate a minimum level of competence and safety with the weapon. The instructor watched the shooter, not the target. If you kept your weapon pointed in a safe direction, fired your rounds safely, reloaded without pointing your weapon in an unsafe direction and handled your weapon in a safe manner even after you completed your course of fire, you passed. Afterwards it was suggested that you get further training. To me, that is the extent of the Sheriff's responsibility.
That isn't a bad start for a standard, but I would prefer to see some percentage of hits...
Quote:
In my class there was an elderly gentleman who was using a walker following surgery.
You make no mention of his competence with a firearm, just that he was using a walker, so I won’t address this, it’s just argumentative…
Quote:
In a friends class there was a woman whose previous experience with firearms had only been with other people shooting her with them. One of the deputies spent quite a bit of time helping her get comfortable with her gun. Should they not be able to defend themselves because they haven't demonstrated an ability to the Sheriff to shoot like Dirty Harry?
Do you think it was the sheriff’s responsibility to provide training to that woman? While I can be sympathetic to anyone who has been shot at, it is not the government’s responsibility to provide training.
Quote:
To me, minimum level of competency is showing safe handling skills and showing that you are not going to accidentally shoot somebody, beyond that you are on your own to get training and if you fail in that you are on the hook legally if you act in a negligent manner. Many other states require no live fire qualification for their CCWs, why should we? Why should we attempt to throw up barriers to good people having the capability to protect themselves?
It’s obvious that your concept of a minimum level of competency and mine differ. I have seen the results of a spray & pray mentality with a 9mm auto; fortunately the only hits were cars, windows & stucco. Should there have been other people around it could have been very bad. It doesn’t take much to reach a basic level of competence, a couple Saturdays with a trainer and some range time…

Does the requirement for drivers training bother you? I don't have an issue with good people carrying guns, I would like to know that should they ever be in the unfortunate position of needing to use their gun, that they won't be a danger to anyone within 2 blocks...

Do you think DMV should eliminate the driving test too? There should be a reasonable uniform standard statewide.
Quote:
For the record, the state of California has no requirement to have ANY live fire training for the CCW process.
Agreed, there is no statewide requirement for live fire training; however the statute does permit the Sheriff of Chief of Police to institute a standard for training. I believe it is not to exceed 16 hours…

Last edited by HowardW56; 04-14-2012 at 2:32 PM..
Old 04-14-2012, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I don't shoot a Sig P225 as well as I shoot a P226, P228, P229...

I don't shoot a S&W 39 series as well as I shoot a S&W 59 series...

1911's are always a pleasure to shoot, and fairly easy to shoot well...

Glock model 21 grip is a little too large to be comfortable, but they are reliable and some people love that design.

I don't shoot a S&W J frame as well as I shoot a S&W K, L, or N frame...( Even the 2" K frames)
Quote:
All of this is the responsibility of the shooter, not the sheriff.
If you are saying that it is the responsibility of the shooter to be competent with firearms, I agree. If you are saying that anyone should be issued a LTC regardless of their competence with the listed firearms, I disagree...

Side Note; I can shoot a qualifying score on most courses of fire with any of the guns I listed above, but with some of the guns my scores would be nothing to be proud of...
Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
It’s obvious that your concept of a minimum level of competency and mine differ.
It is obvious that your concept of the fundamental right to self defense is different than mine. We lose our rights one reasonable step at a time.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'd like it if we can keep this thread limited to directly San Bernardino policy and process info. 2A offers plenty of room for broader philosophical debate.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
And who decides the "minimum level of competence"? Is it the agency that requires the applicant to don a flak vest, helmet and complete a rigidly scored and timed course of fire? There is one.
Previously the Sheriff's dept in San Bernardino County required an applicant to shoot one of the listed guns a total of 10 rounds that required a reload during the process for an unscored course of fire. The purpose of this course of fire was for you to demonstrate a minimum level of competence and safety with the weapon. The instructor watched the shooter, not the target. If you kept your weapon pointed in a safe direction, fired your rounds safely, reloaded without pointing your weapon in an unsafe direction and handled your weapon in a safe manner even after you completed your course of fire, you passed. Afterwards it was suggested that you get further training. To me, that is the extent of the Sheriff's responsibility.

In my class there was an elderly gentleman who was using a walker following surgery. In a friends class there was a woman whose previous experience with firearms had only been with other people shooting her with them. One of the deputies spent quite a bit of time helping her get comfortable with her gun. Should they not be able to defend themselves because they haven't demonstrated an ability to the Sheriff to shoot like Dirty Harry? To me, minimum level of competency is showing safe handling skills and showing that you are not going to accidentally shoot somebody, beyond that you are on your own to get training and if you fail in that you are on the hook legally if you act in a negligent manner. Many other states require no live fire qualification for their CCWs, why should we? Why should we attempt to throw up barriers to good people having the capability to protect themselves? For the record, the state of California has no requirement to have ANY live fire training for the CCW process.
Knauga I think you’re off the mark on this. The SBSD still has the same possess for qualifying, fire 10 rounds with a reload and this is not timed fire. I would never want to begrudge someone the opportunity of self protection because of a physical disability that can be addressed and accommodated but that person has to be willing to put in the time and practice to address those limitations.

I am a firearms instructor and can tell you some people I have trained just do not have the mindset or focus it takes to truly handle a firearm safely. A lot of the time I find it to students who are over 70 who have the hardest time staying on task with just simple range commands. Not to pick on this group of people or belittle them and of course I applaud them for taking training and some of them run and gun better then me!!!! I have even run across younger people (20’s and 30’s) with some of the same A.D.D. issues. You don’t have to shoot like Dirty Harry as you pointed out but at least awareness to not accidently shoot themselves or others and without that focus someone will eventually get hurt.
(Don’t blast me on this, it’s just an observation and there are always exceptions to the rule).

CCW is a lifestyle commitment and just having a gun doesn’t guaranty your survival. It’s your whits and observations that keep you safe and out of trouble. Like I have said in the Personal Protection in the Home courses I have taught (If you don’t feel like you can take a human life, get a dog and not a gun). The last thing I want to be on the street is gunfire fodder.

At my CCW class there where 2 or 3 people who brought out firearms that they just bought and had never even fired till that day!!!! Really, not even function fired or cleaned the dang thing first!!!!
I think the minimal level of commentary is standing on the line, load your firearm, hit a man size silhouette at 15ft, reload and do it again (That is all the qualifying course requires, not pinpoint accuracy like bulls eye shooting, combat accuracy). At least for your initial class to show you know what you’re doing and doing it safely. After that you should be able to add or remove firearms off or on your permit without having to re-qualify as you showed you where proficient to begin with.

Keep training and shoot at least one a month to stay proficient.

IMHO

"Never leave your Cave without your Club……."

Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocClark340 View Post

Keep training and shoot at least one a month to stay proficient.
All well and good and I don't disagree, but that is the individuals responsibility, not the Sheriff's.

We have been discussing Sheriff's dept policies, especially the changes since the last election. In the case of every person holding a SBC CCW, they have demonstrated basic firearms safety with at least one of their pistols. What is the purpose of requiring the CCW holder to qualify with each pistol? What is the purpose of requiring the CCW holder to qualify with subsequently added pistols? ESPECIALLY since they are supposedly only verifying "basic firearms safety"?
Old 04-19-2012, 7:39 AM
Veteran Member

I got an email from awesome Billy Jack saying he hears SBSO is not doing appointments for 2013 already. Isnt Sheriff Hoops up for election this year and what happens if he loses?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Default It came in the mail

I received my LTC in the mail yesterday and today was my first day of carrying. Next step will be some insurance and a car safe. I wanted to thank the informative members of CalGuns who helped me obtain my CCW! Below is a brief time line of my experience, for anyone interested.

09-02-2011 Picked up my application at SO and called to schedule my interview, was notified that interviews will be scheduled for next year.

11-23-2011 Received call and scheduled my interview for January 24, 2012.

01-24-2012 Attended interview. Was told they would schedule me for the safety class after the background check. I was notified I had to get a driver's license with a street address.

01-26-2012 References reported receiving inquiry letters.

01-30-2012 Letter writers reported receiving phone calls.

01-31-2012 Detective walked neighborhood, interviewing neighbors.

02-09-2012 Submitted corrected driver's license

02-23-2012 Received a call, one of my references was not acceptable, submitted new reference.

02-24-2012 New reference reported receiving call.

03-13-2012 Scheduled my appointment for the Range Safety Class for March 31

03-31-2012 Attended class

04-18-2012 Received a call, my class completion card did not arrive with the others. Faxed my copy

04-21-2012 Received card

Entire process took 7 months, 19 days.
Mark 16:16
Old 04-22-2012, 7:37 PM
CGSSA Associate

Where in your timeline did you turn in your paperwork? Did you mail it or hand deliver?
Old 04-22-2012, 8:24 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
Where in your timeline did you turn in your paperwork? Did you mail it or hand deliver?
I turned in everything at my interview. Most of the interview was the deputy going through the package to make sure it was complete and in order.
Old 04-29-2012, 4:18 PM
CGSSA Community Leader I.E.

On 3-13-2012,, Did you receive a call from SBSO telling you to set up class or did you just call??
Old 04-29-2012, 8:55 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaholic View Post
On 3-13-2012,, Did you receive a call from SBSO telling you to set up class or did you just call??
They called me. I was told at my interview that they would contact me to schedule the class after I had passed the background portion.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM

For these required references, do they have to be neighbors and or live in California? I spend most my time overseas and my references are mainly overseas or live out of state.

Would it be wise to start this process now being a 1 year wait? Ive owned a house here for 3.5 years but just changed my license a few weeks ago. I have ha m vehicle here registered while I was overseas for my wife to use. Just curious how the whole 1 year residency requirement is fulfilled.
Old 05-02-2012, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudamuscle View Post
For these required references, do they have to be neighbors and or live in California? I spend most my time overseas and my references are mainly overseas or live out of state.

Would it be wise to start this process now being a 1 year wait? Ive owned a house here for 3.5 years but just changed my license a few weeks ago. I have ha m vehicle here registered while I was overseas for my wife to use. Just curious how the whole 1 year residency requirement is fulfilled.
No... with a caveat. One of my references was out of state. They asked me how often I see them. I told them several times a year and they accepted the reference. They just want the reference to be current.

Of course at the time they were a little be more relaxed, I don't know how they treat this issue now, but I don't think THAT has changed.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM

So...
When do we start going after the SB stuff that is not in line with state law?

My CDL is legal. I'm not paying the state to have it changed. I didn't ask them to put my PO box on it. Simple fact is I don't get mail delivered here, and the street address shows up when they run it anyway.
I have no interest in "references", although I could probably find enough.
Neighbors? My old ones should be fun. There's the dealer upstairs, or her customers next door...that's why the heck I moved out to the sticks.
I waited a year, and now I have to wait another...didn't turn in their green ap within 90 days. Maybe they shouldn't date stamp them. Maybe the state ap should be enough, and state fees as well.

Is the plan to wait until after the election and see who gets the job? Chances are slim to unseat a sitting Sheriff.
Besides, he's a good guy from what I can see. Just a little off in this one area.
Old 05-03-2012, 3:11 PM
CGSSA Associate

Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused. You're saying you have to wait another year to apply because you didn't turn in your app within 90 days, WASR10 said he didn't have to turn in his paperwork until he went to his interview, yet they are currently scheduling interviews for February 2013. Something doesn't add up here.
Old 05-03-2012, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused. You're saying you have to wait another year to apply because you didn't turn in your app within 90 days, WASR10 said he didn't have to turn in his paperwork until he went to his interview, yet they are currently scheduling interviews for February 2013. Something doesn't add up here.
I picked up my ap in October when we moved up here, and sat on it a year figuring I had to have a year residency (I never did turn it in).

A few posts up, someone mentioned they had 90 days to get the paperwork turned in, or get new paperwork. EDIT Post #214 , looks like it was 90 days expiration on the letters, not ap. I may just call and ask. They shoulkdn't be time/date stamping them anyway.

I'll apparently drive back down, get a new ap and turn it in within 90 days and start my year wait because of the backlog. Make sense now?

I guess I should have asked if I could turn it in and then wait. I guess I should have asked if it had to be turned in within an arbitrary alloted time frame. I guess I guess I guess...

Meanwhile, it takes to long, cost to much, and there are still to many "Hoops" to jump through that are not within state guidelines. Maybe I should quit calling them guidelines. They are laws.
While I appreciate that SB will issue for self defence, and the extra stuff is probably not that bad, or at least better than most counties, it still really isn't good enough and is certainly not following state law.

I also "guess" I should have asked if I could schedule my interview without having my ap (paperwork) turned in as you stated WASR10 did at his interview?
That's a whole lot of guesswork. Maybe they should have said more than "Drivers License" and "Return it here" when I picked it up...

Last edited by SmokinMr2; 05-03-2012 at 4:41 PM.. Reason: added post 214 info
Old 05-03-2012, 5:59 PM
CGSSA Associate

Gotcha. My understanding is this: Get your app. Make an appointment. While yor waiting for your interview, get your paperwork done. Turn in paperwork at appointment. Once paperwork and background are complete, go to the training, then wait for permit. Somewhere in there is a Live Scan.
Old 05-03-2012, 7:59 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Gotcha. My understanding is this: Get your app. Make an appointment. While yor waiting for your interview, get your paperwork done. Turn in paperwork at appointment. Once paperwork and background are complete, go to the training, then wait for permit. Somewhere in there is a Live Scan.
Yep, that's it right there. You get the Live Scan (and pay for it) at the interview. Wear your pretty face because you get your picture taken then too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinMr2 View Post

Meanwhile, it takes to long, cost to much, and there are still to many "Hoops" to jump through that are not within state guidelines. Maybe I should quit calling them guidelines. They are laws.
While I appreciate that SB will issue for self defence, and the extra stuff is probably not that bad, or at least better than most counties, it still really isn't good enough and is certainly not following state law.
Ideologically, you're absolutely correct. Obtaining an LTC shouldn't be anymore difficult than obtaining a CDL, and many of the requirements are (so I'm told) technically illegal. But jumping the hoops and waiting patiently got me my permit and I am happy with that result. I firmly believe the more people who do not let the bureaucracy deter them, the more people who carry, the more likely the procedure will loosen up somewhere down the line.
Old 05-04-2012, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
Yep, that's it right there. You get the Live Scan (and pay for it) at the interview. Wear your pretty face because you get your picture taken then too.

Ideologically, you're absolutely correct. Obtaining an LTC shouldn't be anymore difficult than obtaining a CDL, and many of the requirements are (so I'm told) technically illegal. But jumping the hoops and waiting patiently got me my permit and I am happy with that result. I firmly believe the more people who do not let the bureaucracy deter them, the more people who carry, the more likely the procedure will loosen up somewhere down the line.
I agree it should be easier, or at least should follow the law. That being said, if I was real concerned and felt a need, I could jump through the hoops, and would have at least turned in my ap in Oct. Here it is may already

I only "really" feel a need when I drive to Wal Mart in Victorville
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinMr2 View Post

I only "really" feel a need when I drive to Wal Mart in Victorville
LOL
Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 AM

I thought the "extra" stuff was silly and more than a bit invasive, but I still went through the process. Anybody who doesn't feel that the "extra" stuff shouldn't be part of the process, you can apply and point out how they are violating the law. You might even be able to get some assistance from the CGF folks (who knows), but complaining about the process being "illegal" preventing you from getting your CCW is silly. Waiting around for somebody else to change it is just like wishing in one hand and doing something else in the other and wondering why only one hand gets full.

So either apply as is, or work to change it, but complaining about it does nothing to help you OR fix the system.
Old 05-04-2012, 8:24 PM
CGSSA Associate

I'll be making my appointment on Monday. Unless the "Right People" advise against it, I won't be providing anything during my interview that is not required by law. If it results in an LTC, fantastic. If not, I'll have to make some phone calls/emails to CGF and discuss Plan B.
Old 05-04-2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
I'll be making my appointment on Monday. Unless the "Right People" advise against it, I won't be providing anything during my interview that is not required by law. If it results in an LTC, fantastic. If not, I'll have to make some phone calls/emails to CGF and discuss Plan B.
Make sure to let us know how that turns out for you.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 PM
CGSSA Associate

Absolutely. I'm not real confident that it will go smoothly, but you never know.
Old 05-05-2012, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Good luck. If you are going to take this approach do your homework. Try talking to some of the CGF folks on the board who might be able to give you some excellent advice on how to do it right.

Old 05-07-2012, 3:43 PM

Question?

The Sheriff’s office is a county building. I thought you where not allowed to carry in a county building. If you carry into the sheriff’s office is that a violation you can be arrested for? After all they gave you the permit.

Would someone be so kind as to shed some light in this?

Old 05-07-2012, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

You cannot carry in a FEDERAL building.
Old 05-07-2012, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
You cannot carry in a FEDERAL building.
So all county buildings unless posted? Hospitals unless posted????

Old 05-07-2012, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocClark340 View Post
Question?

The Sheriff’s office is a county building. I thought you where not allowed to carry in a county building. If you carry into the sheriff’s office is that a violation you can be arrested for? After all they gave you the permit.

Would someone be so kind as to shed some light in this?

They tell you in their renewal classes that you are not allowed to carry inside the Sheriff's Dept office. Usually about that time there are several nervous glances and shifting in seats. The times I have seen that happen, the deputy giving the class says "they don't want to know, but if you have one, don't do it again" and move on. I don't recall if it is posted, but I don't carry inside the building.
Old 05-07-2012, 5:45 PM

[QUOTE=Knauga;8537202]They tell you in their renewal classes that you are not allowed to carry inside the Sheriff's Dept office.

That's where I got the idea about the county buildings. I just got to thinking. I don't remember that in my class but that was 8 hours of 411 condensed down from 16. As they say we got the "Scooby Doo" version. One would figure that the department who said that you can carry wouldn't have a problem with you carrying in their house. After all, you can carry in somebody else's house as long as they don't know.
Right????

arty :
JMOP

Old 05-09-2012, 8:54 AM

Default Carry permit and Jury Duty

This may be off topic but it is a topic with concern to the County of SBD/CCW. Dose anyone or has anyone had a problem with ignoring your jury summons and having it come back and bite you on your CCW. Government efficiency being what it is this may have no bearing on one another but it was something that came to mind as I had the joy of going to jury yesterday and thinking “Man, I have a lot to do at work and this is going to be another day setback at keeping up with the flow”. I know it “Your community duty” but man, two steps forward one step back…..

????????????????????????

Old 05-15-2012, 4:28 PM

Called in to confirm my Interview for Thursday and made sure i had everything in order and it turns out since I don't have a lease with six months remaining they will not accept my rental agreement. It does not say that on my packet anywhere. I am on a month to month with my land lord and have been for a 9 months. I have lived in the same city for 9 years. Does anybody have any Ideas on how to fix this with out having to move to get a lease?
Old 05-15-2012, 5:19 PM

Just go in and talk to the investigator on the date of your interview. There is such a thing as month to month rental The secretary does not always understand the rules. At the time I went through the process the secretary told me that my denial letter from my city was wrong and not acceptable, the fact that I was one short on references meant my packet was incomplete and unacceptable. When I spoke to the investigator it was no problem at all.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict

San berdoo wants you to be here a year before you get your application, but it takes 6-9 months to process, so why not just get the application after three months in County?
Old 06-06-2012, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john67elco View Post
I got an email from awesome Billy Jack saying he hears SBSO is not doing appointments for 2013 already. Isnt Sheriff Hoops up for election this year and what happens if he loses?
The election is in 2014. I am running for sheriff in San Bernardino County. I will have a shall issue policy. Those who are felons, mentally ill and gangsters need not apply. San Bernardino County has 2,800 active CCW permits. During Hoops term from June 2010 to June 2012 he has denied/revoked 149 permits and issued 469 new permits. I hope to make us the leader in California regarding your 2nd Amendment rights. www.sheriffpaul2014.com
Old 06-11-2012, 7:32 PM

My San Bernardino Timeline - Almost complete

10-27-11 Picked up application

11-3-11 Called for interview

12-1-11 Got interview date

3-6-12 Went in for interview

3-7-12 SO did neighbor hood check

3-8-12 - 3-20-12 References were contacted and letters were returned

5-14-12 Got call for the range class

6-9-12 Went to the range class

7 Months and 11 days so far.... Hopefully will be receiving the permit in the next few weeks
Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitz909 View Post

7 Months and 11 days so far.... Hopefully will be receiving the permit in the next few weeks
Congrats man! Its a great feeling to carry for the first time. I am sure it will come before you know it.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitz909 View Post

Just got my permit in the mail today. Almost 8 month from start to finish!!
Today is a good day!!!