Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 9:30 PM

Talking First experience with Turners, one word: meh

Howdy everyone,

Just wanted to write about my first experience with Turner's.

Having just returned to California after separating from the USAF I decided I to get an AR. I've always been piqued by Turner's, even as a little kid, and after a great deal of research (not nearly as much as it turns out) I found the AR that I wanted was in stock at Turner's at the best price of all the SoCal stores. Went in, initiated the DROS, was good to go, pretty happy that I was able to do my first gun purchase at a place that I've always liked (or atleast I thought I did).

Later than night, after one more search with an extra keyword, found an online retailer that was $250 cheaper. Not happy...was told about restocking/cancellation fee and was just miserable after the fact. Next day, went in, manager had me by the balls and treated me like ****. I mean I understand now, to him I was just another ***hole customer weasling out of a sale, but I honestly would have been happy had I been able just to get store credit to get a safe or accessories or ammo. Nope, had to be towards gun purchase. I would have also been happy if he'd been able to atleast meet me halfway - nope, go f**k yourself (not verbally of course). I suppose I should count my blessings, atleast I was able to apply the deposit to purchase a shotgun (it was overpriced, but not $250 overpriced).

No, you do not need to remind me of my fault - I get it and own it now. But I just wanted to post my experience, and give Military/LEO a heads up that there are much much much cheaper options out there than Turner's (this actually applies to most SoCal retailers actually). No, I don't want to see Turner's go away and I'm not going to start telling people to turn away (unless someone asks what I think about them) but I definitely agree with quite a few of these threads that customer service at some of these stores are hit and miss.

After I complete my shotgun transaction (short of any compelling sale) I don't plan on returning to Turner's ever again. I suppose the good news is the less I buy there the more for ya'll.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 PM

Online prices can be a bit deceptive - after you factor in shipping and FFL transfer fees, the savings aren't nearly as great. Also, California requires that FFLs collect sales tax on your online purchase, so you're not saving on taxes either. The only gun I've purchased online was one I couldn't find locally.

All told, you may have saved a nice chunk of cash with the online deal. However, by buying at Turner's you're supporting your local firearm economy, and that's important. I would have loved to have had a local Turner's when I lived in NorCal.

I've bought a few guns at Turner's; Dan at the Kearny Mesa store is my go-to guy. He's one of the best salespeople I've ever worked with - in any line of sales, not just guns. Find somebody like that at your store and build a rapport with him/her. They'll take care of you.

You will almost certainly buy another gun in the future, and it's hard to beat the prices at Turner's if you're patient and wait for their sales. That's just my two cents.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 PM

I bought 3 hand guns and an AR with turners at the Tustin location....Customer service depends on the person you talk to - I always talk to the older guys which are nicer to noobs like me really a solution but I to inspect the firearm i'll be buying
koios is right when looking online prices dont forget ur paying of a gun you haven't checked plus dont forget taxes, shipping fees and DROS no escape no matter where you buy - this is just my opinion
Old 08-16-2012, 11:48 PM

If the cancellation/restocking fee was explained or in the paperwork you initially had then there is nothing to complain about. If the manager went by Turners policy then he did his job, doesn't matter if you're LEO or millitary you can't expect someone to change their company policy. To try to warn others to stay away from Turners because you didn't get your way seems very whiny. I have bought 3 guns from Turners, done about 5 ppt's , and bought lots of ammo and decoys. I know they are not always the cheapest, but they are one of the few places in SoCal to get guns and hunting stuff and I appreciate that. Like Koios said the $250 lower price probably wouldn't be that much cheaper in the end anyways.
Old 08-17-2012, 1:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What does military have to do with anything? That automatically gives you free pass to get your way?
Ok so you said yourself you found the AR you wanted at a Turners.
YOU decided to purchase the firearms and sign the invoice
YOU then decided to back out of contract and you're mad because Cletus Guns and Booze dealing out of his chicken shack has it for cheaper?
Old 08-17-2012, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koios View Post
Online prices can be a bit deceptive - after you factor in shipping and FFL transfer fees, the savings aren't nearly as great. Also, California requires that FFLs collect sales tax on your online purchase, so you're not saving on taxes either. The only gun I've purchased online was one I couldn't find locally.

All told, you may have saved a nice chunk of cash with the online deal. However, by buying at Turner's you're supporting your local firearm economy, and that's important. I would have loved to have had a local Turner's when I lived in NorCal.

I've bought a few guns at Turner's; Dan at the Kearny Mesa store is my go-to guy. He's one of the best salespeople I've ever worked with - in any line of sales, not just guns. Find somebody like that at your store and build a rapport with him/her. They'll take care of you.

You will almost certainly buy another gun in the future, and it's hard to beat the prices at Turner's if you're patient and wait for their sales. That's just my two cents.
Thank you for your reply.

Cost of AR from Turner's, out the door was $1120ish. Cost from outside dealer and FFL (not for $125 from Turner's)+taxes is $960ish. 15% price difference was too much, that's a bit of nice furniture or a 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of a good optic. There was just not give from Turner's, so I couldn't do it.
Old 08-17-2012, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da crab View Post
If the cancellation/restocking fee was explained or in the paperwork you initially had then there is nothing to complain about. If the manager went by Turners policy then he did his job, doesn't matter if you're LEO or millitary you can't expect someone to change their company policy. To try to warn others to stay away from Turners because you didn't get your way seems very whiny. I have bought 3 guns from Turners, done about 5 ppt's , and bought lots of ammo and decoys. I know they are not always the cheapest, but they are one of the few places in SoCal to get guns and hunting stuff and I appreciate that. Like Koios said the $250 lower price probably wouldn't be that much cheaper in the end anyways.
Thanks for your reply.

I accept my licks. As I said, I'm not going out of my way to tell people to stay away from Turner's. It seems there pistols and shotguns are decent deals, but long guns are more expensive and that there are better deals elsewhere. But if someone asks me opinion, I will tell them such.
Old 08-17-2012, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
What does military have to do with anything? That automatically gives you free pass to get your way?
Ok so you said yourself you found the AR you wanted at a Turners.
YOU decided to purchase the firearms and sign the invoice
YOU then decided to back out of contract and you're mad because Cletus Guns and Booze dealing out of his chicken shack has it for cheaper?
Thanks for replying.

It boils down to getting the best deal. For Military/LEO, as I learned, there are better options out there.
Old 08-17-2012, 8:26 AM

Careful of the Net. Some guns go back to the manufacturer due to issues with brandnew guns. ie won't fire, trigger pull too heavy... all quality control missed the first time. Then is sent back with a discount, and sold with a discount. Some dealers don't let buyers know.
Turners does, they call it factory return on the price tag with discounted price. I have seen this at Chino Turners and gladly explained this to me.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 08-17-2012, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000stars View Post
Careful of the Net. Some guns go back to the manufacturer due to issues with brandnew guns. ie won't fire, trigger pull too heavy... all quality control missed the first time. Then is sent back with a discount, and sold with a discount. Some dealers don't let buyers know.
Turners does, they call it factory return on the price tag with discounted price. I have seen this at Chino Turners and gladly explained this to me.
Roger, appreciate the heads up. Thank you for your reply.
Old 08-17-2012, 9:20 AM

While what MadDog5150 said was funny. I am not going that direction. I have purchased many a firearms from Turners and they are one of my go to guys. I also have a FFL that I trust and have done a few purchases through him as well. You have to really search and look for the best deals before purchasing. Many times I thought I had the best deal only to have someone throw out a better deal. I have also had Turners give me a credit for a gun that they gave me a discount initially and then it happens to go on sale. Just realize that any time you buy something, just as anything else, you will find it cheaper elsewhere. Enjoy it and try to always use the local Brick and Mortar shops to keep them open. Because as it has been going, we may not have any way to purchase firearms legally.

Hope you shoot the crap outta that thing.
Old 08-17-2012, 9:20 AM

Was the out of state AR CA compliant? Just curious why an out of state dealer would be stocking a CA compliant gun.

Also, most AR mfgrs charge dealers more for CA compliant guns.

FWIW, your mileage may vary
Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indobos72 View Post
While what MadDog5150 said was funny. I am not going that direction. I have purchased many a firearms from Turners and they are one of my go to guys. I also have a FFL that I trust and have done a few purchases through him as well. You have to really search and look for the best deals before purchasing. Many times I thought I had the best deal only to have someone throw out a better deal. I have also had Turners give me a credit for a gun that they gave me a discount initially and then it happens to go on sale. Just realize that any time you buy something, just as anything else, you will find it cheaper elsewhere. Enjoy it and try to always use the local Brick and Mortar shops to keep them open. Because as it has been going, we may not have any way to purchase firearms legally.

Hope you shoot the crap outta that thing.
My folks have been buying from Toyota of Orange for years. In fact, I bought my first car there. We always do our shopping of course, and they are always willing to make a deal (hence the reason why we come back).

The reason I bring that up is I didn't get that from Turner's. They had me by the balls, and the manager did what he did (which was of course his right as I had signed the bottom line). I learned a fairly good lesson at a cheap $30 in the end (instead of $160). I had never shopped at Turner's before; they went along fine without me then just as I'm sure they'll be fine without me now. Turner's isn't going away, so long as President Obama stays in office and the California Assembly continues on its mission of destroying legal gun ownership they can incrementally increase prices and the market will lap it up

Will do on the shooting! Thank you for your reply.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billp053 View Post
Was the out of state AR CA compliant? Just curious why an out of state dealer would be stocking a CA compliant gun.

Also, most AR mfgrs charge dealers more for CA compliant guns.

FWIW, your mileage may vary
It was, the dealer had both the compliant (bullet button, whole nine yards) and non-compliant. Non-compliant was completely sold it, so there's somewhat of a silver lining for living in CA

Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:22 AM

Turners in Orange is great.Never had a problem there.
Better Luck in the future.
Old 08-20-2012, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibru;91475 28
I just wanted to post my experience, and give Military/LEO a heads up that there are much much much cheaper options out there than Turner's
What...non- LEO/military don't deserve to know this fantastic tid-bit 'O info?
BTW..IIRIC, you wrote that you just got out of the military(I'm sorry...I mean The Air Force]..?
So that means you can't even take your own advice!
You're just like the rest of us 'once-was', but are now 'no-longer(s)'

To the topic of discussion...
Up 'til recently, I'd try to avoid my local Turners like the plague for somewhat of the same reason(s) you mentioned you have/had problems with(bad attitudes). Its so close to me that on rare occasion I would pop in to get ammo on the way to the range if I needed some desperately, but for the longest time they seemed to have the same problem as Home Depot so (in?)famously had.
As I wrote, that was until recently however..
My local store now has a couple kids working there that are terrific to deal with. Contrary to my past experience with T's, not only do they actually KNOW what they're talking about, but they don't try to over-power you with their 'knowledge' as I've seen many times in the past(and as many times as not, they'd be full of IT). If you ask for their opinion or recommendation, they'll gladly give it to you, but I like the fact that they give the impression that they're simply there to help you with what you need. Also contrary to my past experience there, these guys are actually FRIENDLY. Instead of doing their best to make you feel like you're interrupting their staring at the wall, they'll gladly stop whatever the heck they're doing(and a few times they were even counting inventory, which if any of you have done it before, getting cut-off while doing so can really ruin your day) and work with you as long as you need it.
I feel like 'Norm' from Cheers when I roll in there now, and because of these new(new to me at least..) Turners employees, I've spent more money there in the past two weeks than I had in the previous ga-zillion!
I even bought a pistol from 'em last week.

Last edited by fastkevin; 08-20-2012 at 4:20 AM..
Old 08-20-2012, 8:33 AM

I understand it is frustrating when you think you got a good deal and it does not turn out that way. At the same time you were happy to sign the contract and expected Turners to live up to the agreement. Can you imagine the outrage if Turners called you up and said they would not honor the agreed price or they were all sold out and they were not getting more for 6 months but they would not cancel the paperwork ? I am sure buyers remorse happens all the time. If you have sold a few guns on CG you know what I am talking about.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkevin View Post
What...non- LEO/military don't deserve to know this fantastic tid-bit 'O info?
BTW..IIRIC, you wrote that you just got out of the military(I'm sorry...I mean The Air Force]..?
So that means you can't even take your own advice!
You're just like the rest of us 'once-was', but are now 'no-longer(s)'

To the topic of discussion...
Up 'til recently, I'd try to avoid my local Turners like the plague for somewhat of the same reason(s) you mentioned you have/had problems with(bad attitudes). Its so close to me that on rare occasion I would pop in to get ammo on the way to the range if I needed some desperately, but for the longest time they seemed to have the same problem as Home Depot so (in?)famously had.
As I wrote, that was until recently however..
My local store now has a couple kids working there that are terrific to deal with. Contrary to my past experience with T's, not only do they actually KNOW what they're talking about, but they don't try to over-power you with their 'knowledge' as I've seen many times in the past(and as many times as not, they'd be full of IT). If you ask for their opinion or recommendation, they'll gladly give it to you, but I like the fact that they give the impression that they're simply there to help you with what you need. Also contrary to my past experience there, these guys are actually FRIENDLY. Instead of doing their best to make you feel like you're interrupting their staring at the wall, they'll gladly stop whatever the heck they're doing(and a few times they were even counting inventory, which if any of you have done it before, getting cut-off while doing so can really ruin your day) and work with you as long as you need it.
I feel like 'Norm' from Cheers when I roll in there now, and because of these new(new to me at least..) Turners employees, I've spent more money there in the past two weeks than I had in the previous ga-zillion!
I even bought a pistol from 'em last week.
Separated into the USAFR, I am an IMA, not IRR or SR.

If you're cool with going to stores and happy with paying full price or more, that's fine. If you're cool with going into a place like an autodealer and never going for a deal because you want to support them, then that is your right as a consumer. I wasn't talking about a 5%-10% difference, it was 25%. Turner's will now be the last place I look instead of the first. They didn't win me over on price or customer service. As I said, I just wanted to write my experience. I don't wish Turner's ill will, I won't go out of my way to convince others one way or the other (though if asked I shall answer), by all means if you like Turner's keep shopping there.

BTW, what was your branch of service? I'm curious, it seems mostly USA/USMC on CG (which makes sense).
Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTOM CA! View Post
I understand it is frustrating when you think you got a good deal and it does not turn out that way. At the same time you were happy to sign the contract and expected Turners to live up to the agreement. Can you imagine the outrage if Turners called you up and said they would not honor the agreed price or they were all sold out and they were not getting more for 6 months but they would not cancel the paperwork ? I am sure buyers remorse happens all the time. If you have sold a few guns on CG you know what I am talking about.
I just don't like their policies. Then again, I'm not a firearms dealer so I don't know the method to their madness. Of course, they don't want people coming in and cancelling all the time, I get that. In the end the price difference was too much for me to live with and their inflexibility just really turned me off. It is what it is, but this was my experience.

Just look at this forum, people are hit and miss with Turner's, as I'm sure other vendors, my experience was a miss and I documented why.
Old 08-21-2012, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibru View Post
BTW, what was your branch of service? I'm curious, it seems mostly USA/USMC on CG (which makes sense).
Yeah...USA[bigthumbsup]
Old 08-21-2012, 3:39 AM

My 2 cents...I just put a 10/22 in jail via Turner's in Reseda. The counter-guy, Rick, was knowledgeable, helpful and a joy to deal with.

Now, the Kalifornia junk was a pain and really stupid...but that's on the politicos and not Turner's.
Old 08-21-2012, 9:21 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibru View Post
Thanks for replying.

It boils down to getting the best deal. For Military/LEO, as I learned, there are better options out there.
Sometimes the "best deal" isn't all about price. People who shop solely on price alone give it up in other areas. How did you approach them when you went back to negotiate the price AFTER the price had already been agreed? Were you polite, and professional?

Frankly, I think your post title is a bit misleading. You made the decision to purchase, no one at Turner's forced you to pay their asking price - but I think you realize your mistake and are owning up to it, so I guess there really isn't much more to say.

Turby
Old 08-21-2012, 3:14 PM

OP, I usually dont bash people, especially online. But do we really need a second thread on this? You researched, found Turners had the best price at that moment. Then you found a better price because of your military discount elsewhere. So first of all, seems Turners price was pretty good if you could only find one better price. Second, you are the one being a jerk trying to cancel the order and then crying about it when they follow their own store policy. If you don't like their store policy, DON'T BUY FROM THEM in the first place! Once you do buy form them, you've agreed to their policy! So please just quit your bellyaching and crying. Did you think you would get more sympathy by starting a second thread to whine about this?
Old 08-21-2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Sometimes the "best deal" isn't all about price. People who shop solely on price alone give it up in other areas. How did you approach them when you went back to negotiate the price AFTER the price had already been agreed? Were you polite, and professional?

Frankly, I think your post title is a bit misleading. You made the decision to purchase, no one at Turner's forced you to pay their asking price - but I think you realize your mistake and are owning up to it, so I guess there really isn't much more to say.

Turby
I wasn't rude, wasn't yelling or cursing or name calling or anything like that. Manager laid out the policy, and that was that. At the end of the day, I just couldn't walk away from almost $200 in savings and be a happy customer, which is why I put up in my first post that Military/LEO has better options for long guns than Turner's (or any other SoCal retailer, really). I would have liked some give from Turner's, but there was none. So you're right, they didn't have to because I signed on the dotted line, but I don't have to come back again as a customer either.

You're absolutely right, live and learn, I will be much much much more gun shy about buying any firearms from Turner's. Even when I've done weeks worth of research I'll wait again.
Old 08-21-2012, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedininja View Post
OP, I usually dont bash people, especially online. But do we really need a second thread on this? You researched, found Turners had the best price at that moment. Then you found a better price because of your military discount elsewhere. So first of all, seems Turners price was pretty good if you could only find one better price. Second, you are the one being a jerk trying to cancel the order and then crying about it when they follow their own store policy. If you don't like their store policy, DON'T BUY FROM THEM in the first place! Once you do buy form them, you've agreed to their policy! So please just quit your bellyaching and crying. Did you think you would get more sympathy by starting a second thread to whine about this?
I stopped posting in the other thread in the general forums a week ago, didn't know people were still replying until I checked today. At any rate I wanted to specifically post my experience with Turner's in the vendor forum.

Not looking for sympathy, as I keep saying multiple times I wish Turner's no ill will, I learned my lesson on this one.
Old 08-21-2012, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pissedashell View Post
This is why Turners does not respond any more ... they give the guy credit, and he still comes on here to rip them a new rear orifice like they did something wrong.
I guess I just don't understand their credit system. Why is the credit only good for another gun? My experience would have been a total 180 if I could get other stuff like optics, ammo, furniture, etc etc.

As I've said, live and learn, I will be much more hesitant when dealing with Turner's.

Last edited by impossibru; 08-21-2012 at 5:57 PM..
Old 08-23-2012, 12:28 AM

I agree with you that is a BS policy. I've bought a *lot* of guns there and I remember re-considering one and was SOL.

It sucks, but what can you do. Their sales are better than just about anyplace. I've had a nice manager and a **** manager. I don't know if either of them would bend store policy like that though or give a discount on a gun other than whatever's in the ad. I've never heard of that anyway.

Yeah after xfer fees and taxes and ship and and and it's rarely worth it to buy a gun online. Sucks, but that's CA.
Old 08-25-2012, 3:37 AM

I've had my fair shares of ups and downs with Turners, however every time I've ever purchased a rifle/gun from them, they have always stated their cancellation/restocking fee before i sign any dotted line or pay any $$$. You stated or present to us that you were "Not happy...was told about restocking/cancellation fee and was just miserable after the fact". I find it hard to believe that this wasn't made apparent to you during your purchase. On top of that if you purchased online, not only would you have to find a FFL, most charge $50 to do the transfer on top of the dros, pay for shipping of the rifle (wait for it to ship), gas and time to go to that other FFL to start dros etc etc. But you where there at Turners, were able to start the paperwork instantly. When purchasing things, the best deal isn't always measured by the bottom line $ savings, to some its Customer service, convenience, politics..who knows. I have my own beef's with Turners customer service from time to time, but in your case, this is just a buyers remorse. To be fair, I've bought on impulse a few times myself, sometimes you win..sometimes you lose.
Old 08-26-2012, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

sad to say to the op...

online means nothing like most have said...

tax+shipping+ffl fee = no real savings,so turners is your best bet for the littlest hassle...
Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 PM

One thing about taxes, is that you will pay less in taxes since the firearm will be cheaper online.

You only have to figure in FFL Transfer Fee + S&H - Tax Difference
I was on a ride-along, and the officer i was with saw a parked car with occupants. He was going up to ask them to move their car and as soon as he gets to the window the passenger says "I have meth under my seat."

I've never understood the self-confessors....
Old 09-07-2012, 5:50 AM

I would have to agree with Maddog. Complaining about a company because YOU got buyers remorse is not something that's going to generate a ton of sympathy for your cause. You thought it was a good deal when you signed the paperwork, and Turner's didn't force you to buy their merchandise to the exclusion of all others. I'm guessing cancelling a firearms transaction is a huge headache for these stores, which is why they need to be punitive about it. Be thankful the manager worked with you at all. If you came in here and posted that the manager refused to do anything to help you out, my opinion would be the same.

Be honest, Turner's served you well, and they deserve to be complimented, not "meh'd"
Old 09-07-2012, 10:36 PM

Wow I wonder how much you would be complaining if Turners Actualy kept the 30% Cancelation Charge wich you agreed to instead of Applying it to the another gun

Bill I Am
Rick in Reseda If Awesome One of the most knowledgeble Guys I have ever met
Nearly reach the sky
Old 09-20-2012, 6:03 AM

Ok, im reading and understand the gripe but i dont see what Turners did wrong. Sounds like they did what they said they would. I think its unreasonable for a company to cater to each persons individual desires when something goes wrong. I understand youre not blaming them, you just hoped for a better outcome.

But...try writing to robz@turners.com and explain what happened and maybe he can do something for you, including consideration of a policy change.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Default I believe you have to pay taxes on transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDshooter View Post
One thing about taxes, is that you will pay less in taxes since the firearm will be cheaper online.

You only have to figure in FFL Transfer Fee + S&H - Tax Difference
My understanding is that all California FFLs have to collect taxes on all transfers (not PPT). Plus shipping to an FFL rquires additional paperwork to set-up between another FFL so the transfer usually costs alot more than the $35. While it would have been nice for them to give you store credit for anything, at least they gave you store credit for something. Now you have a new shotty and an AR. Plus, the wife can't complain you bought two guns because Turner's made you do it "Sorry dear, those A-holes at Turner's screwed me and forced me to buy this shotgun too". I wonder if my wife would fall for that one.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogiDoc View Post
My understanding is that all California FFLs have to collect taxes on all transfers (not PPT). Plus shipping to an FFL rquires additional paperwork to set-up between another FFL so the transfer usually costs alot more than the $35. While it would have been nice for them to give you store credit for anything, at least they gave you store credit for something. Now you have a new shotty and an AR. Plus, the wife can't complain you bought two guns because Turner's made you do it "Sorry dear, those A-holes at Turner's screwed me and forced me to buy this shotgun too". I wonder if my wife would fall for that one.
Yes, they collect taxes on all non-PPT sales.

But, what's the reason you would be purchasing online vs your LGS (such as Turners)?

Cause it's cheaper.

Well if you can get the gun from Buds for $1000, and Turners sells it for $1300, then that's $300 less, plus you are only paying taxes on $1000 instead of $1300, which at say 8.75% would be a Tax Difference of $26.25 that you didn't have to pay. Not to mention the cheaper price of the gun in the first place.

Like I said, you have to figure in all of the extra costs, but there is also the Tax Difference. Not what it use to be back in the day (cough, ZERO), but still a difference none-the-less.
I was on a ride-along, and the officer i was with saw a parked car with occupants. He was going up to ask them to move their car and as soon as he gets to the window the passenger says "I have meth under my seat."

I've never understood the self-confessors....
Old 09-21-2012, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDshooter View Post
Yes, they collect taxes on all non-PPT sales.

But, what's the reason you would be purchasing online vs your LGS (such as Turners)?

Cause it's cheaper.

Well if you can get the gun from Buds for $1000, and Turners sells it for $1300, then that's $300 less, plus you are only paying taxes on $1000 instead of $1300, which at say 8.75% would be a Tax Difference of $26.25 that you didn't have to pay. Not to mention the cheaper price of the gun in the first place.

Like I said, you have to figure in all of the extra costs, but there is also the Tax Difference. Not what it use to be back in the day (cough, ZERO), but still a difference none-the-less.
My bad, misread your post. Do some FFL charge more though for transfers from other FFLs and if so is that legal?
Old 09-21-2012, 8:12 PM

Just wondering if any of these online sites do anything for your gun rights. If not then why would you buy from them?
Old 09-22-2012, 1:05 AM

Price differences come with different business models. Brick and mortar shops have more employees that come with their own costs (payroll, matching taxes, workers comp, drug tests, background checks, uniforms, training, healthcare and other benefits, etc.). Then you can multiply those costs by a standard employee turnover rate. Insurance is higher for a facility designed to have browsing customers as opposed to an internet warehouse with only employees there. Internet warehousing is easy and the low prices sell products briskly with a nationwide market of shoppers but a brick and mortar shop can have stale inventory problems that eat up merchandising floor-space without being sold to their limited market. These are just a few examples of why a brick and mortar shop will have a higher mark-up than the internet sites. In the end, the internet sites make a higher profit margin so who's really hosing you?. I know this because I own an online ammo store. I used to have an FFL and I know what a pain in the butt it is just to keep and maintain it.
The advantage that a brick and mortar has is the experience. You can't hold a gun over the internet. You cannot discern quality or smooth actions from a few pictures a site got from the manufacturer (with a disclaimer underneath saying it may not even be the same make, model, "we're not responsible", etc.). Every gun is born a little different and unfortunately some are born with defects. This is important if you've ever had to deal with a "lemon" firearm. Same goes for optics. Turner's has a great selection of quality red dots. Not many shops carry $1300 Trijicons so you can try and compare before buying.
Which leads me to the next point: many buyers have a mistaken belief that because they just handed over $900 for a Sig that the FFL sticks all that money in his pocket and snickers. He's going to buy one to replace what you just bought so in reality he put maybe $150 in his pocket. Sounds good until taxes, bills, fees, payroll, etc.
Also, Turner's supports CalGuns. That matters to me.
Lastly, shooting guns is an expensive hobby. Get used to it. This is America. Make more money.
Old 09-22-2012, 1:22 AM

Can we have the links to the CHEAPER" online price? this might actually help us and save us some real money?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 PM

After reading this entire thread, in which IMO got way off topic and contains way to much irrelevant info, sniveling and whining etc.

I am still wondering where and how "Turner's isn't going away, so long as President Obama stays in office and the California Assembly continues on its mission of destroying legal gun ownership they can incrementally increase prices and the market will lap it up" ......all fits in with buyers remorse????

Must have missed something here maybe????

Raise prices based upon whom is in office???? You mean buyers will get a lower price if a Republican was in office??????????

Ca. assembly has a mission to destroy legal gun ownership????? OH REALLY???? YIKES!!! Imagine if they where able to. All guns shops would close. Job loss and more business failures? Loss of tax revenues???? No need for any state employees whom run a back ground checks either??? Oh MY! More State employee pink slips!!! (???)

None of any of this makes any sense. A contract is a contract. What is the companies return policy anyway???? No returns on gun sales? None on ammo sales??? No buyers remorse??? All fine with me since it costs the company $$$$ which is overhead we all wind up paying for in the end.