Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-07-2013, 6:54 PM

Default Question for Cal Hiway Patrol Officers

In my 35 years of driving the highways in our state (I log many miles a year), I have Never seen a tour bus pulled over along the road. They pass me all the time doing 75+, ride my bumper when I'm cruising at 70 (I know, 65) and never, ever have seen them pulled over. Including in the congested freeways of the Bay Area.

It seems logical to me as evidenced by the recent southern California accident, that when a bus does crash, many lives are lost and mangled. It has happened many times on the gambler specials between the Bay Area and Reno/Tahoe.

Why are they given special status? It's not like they don't stick out like sore thumbs.

And with all due respect, it would seem to be a priority to slow these rolling coffins down.

Thank you and most respect.

NoSTAZ
Old 02-07-2013, 8:55 PM

I don't know where you get they get special status. They don't as far as I know. But you have to remember, the cop has to see them in order to stop them.
Old 02-08-2013, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
I don't know where you get they get special status. They don't as far as I know. But you have to remember, the cop has to see them in order to stop them.
Special status meaning I never see them pulled over and they all, mostly, are flying down the highway.

Are you CHP? No? And I know they have to see them, clock them, etc. to pull over, they sure spot a cell phone user and that's smaller than a bus. But in 35 years no stopped buses? What are the odds?

Good example today: I pull on the freeway, westbound 580 in Livermore at 2:30 PM (my quitting time on a construction site), a CHP is on my on ramp sitting. I merge and a San Joaquin Commuter Bus is in the number one lane flying by at over 70. This is an 8 lane freeway, he couldn't be missed. But he was...

NoSTAZ
Old 02-08-2013, 7:29 PM

that falls under commercial enforcement for CHP. AFAIK most of that is done by officers who are better trained in that field compared to others. at least that is how it is run up here in Plumas. (all details gleaned from a ride along a couple months ago)
Old 02-08-2013, 8:08 PM
Calguns Addict

580 in Livermore is 65? So the bus is going 70, what was the rest of traffic like?
Old 02-08-2013, 8:13 PM

1 (800) TELL CHP... help those guys out..

Last edited by FlyByWire; 02-08-2013 at 8:20 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 8:35 PM
Banned

They don't have special status. I've BEEN on one of those buses while being pulled over, and watched the driver get a ticket.
Old 02-08-2013, 8:48 PM

Seen them doing at least 80 on 101 near SFO. Worrysome to say the least...
Old 02-08-2013, 9:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As you know by now, ANOTHER Bus has killed 7 people and injured several others in CA near Big Bear and just recently 9 killed and additional 26 hurt near Pendleton, OR.

THIS NEEDS TO STOP NOWW....

As Founder and President of People Against Busses (PAB) I urge you to contact your very busy legislators and president to STOP THIS CARNAGE, NOW!!!!!!!

BUSSES MUST BE BANNED AND OR RESTRICTED AND NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY MORE THAN 10 PEOPLE AT A TIME. IN ADDITION BUSSES MUST NOT BE ALLOWED AROUND OUR CHILDREN AND OR WITING 100 FEET OF OUR SCHOOLS.

I know, I know, you say the busses that you see driving the streets are 80-95% empty 80% of the time. How many people must be killed, before this government acts? Isn't just one life precious?? Should we not stand for that person, even though he/she probably voted for Mitt Romney???

I find it offensive and a travesty that this CONTINUES to KILL Children and Adults.

Donations to support PAB are not necessary. I will do this as my charitable good will.

Instead, you can send your donation to my favorite charity... Citizens Against Starvation & Hunger.

Just send a check made out to CASH and I will make sure it is handled correctly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ore-bus-crash/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...y-deaths_n.htm

Make your New Year's Resolution to ensure that Those EVIL Busses are REMOVED from Society and NOT ANOTHER Person will EVER be injured again.

In all seriousness, it seems that our elected politicians and unelected bureaucrats are incapable of long-range, organized, sustainable, coherent, planning for anything.

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.

Last edited by Rickrock1; 02-08-2013 at 9:33 PM.. Reason: m
Old 02-09-2013, 2:46 AM
Veteran Member

They aren't.
Old 02-09-2013, 5:35 AM

...what is even more strange....is why not a single law enforcement officer can give an good explanation why a bus is not required to have seatbelts for it's passengers......??
Old 02-09-2013, 6:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine mil thrill View Post
...what is even more strange....is why not a single law enforcement officer can give an good explanation why a bus is not required to have seatbelts for it's passengers......??
Because of the compartmentalization that is in place (READ: ENGINEERED) on a bus to prevent major injuries.
Old 02-09-2013, 8:08 AM

Here is an article about the seatbelts on buses. It addresses school buses but same principle more or less:
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40820669/n.../#.URaBah3WJFQ
Old 02-09-2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
580 in Livermore is 65? So the bus is going 70, what was the rest of traffic like?
Yes, 580 here is posted 65 and traffic was a mix of trucks, cars, RV's, trucks pulling boats, soccer moms, and buses. All at varying speeds. I don't know what this has to do with anything, but there ya go.

If traffic in the fast lane is doing 80 it's okay for the bus loaded with people to do the same? Is that where you're going?

Thanks for the responses

NoSTAZ
Old 02-09-2013, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not saying it's okay, but do you think they should just single out buses? What about large vans?
My point was why should the bus get pulled over and not you or anybody else going the same speed?

Last edited by rromeo; 02-09-2013 at 4:02 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 4:05 PM

To answer your question, no I'm not a ChiPy. But I figure I am still qualified to give an answer.

I don't think anyone was going there with that. To answer your other question, which was part of mine, did it occur to you that the CHP officer had something else he needed to get done at that time that was more pressing than the speeder. Just cause he or she isn't doing what you want right when you want it doesnt mean the enforcement never happens. Take it in proportion to speeding in regular cars vs. how many get stopped and cited.
Old 02-09-2013, 4:09 PM

and FWIW Rib, I put a lot of those drivers in the same category as taxi drivers.
Old 02-09-2013, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

So Ribkick, you'd be cool if I wrote you a speeding ticket for 70 in a 65?
Old 02-09-2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
I'm not saying it's okay, but do you think they should just single out buses? What about large vans?
My point was why should the bus get pulled over and not you or anybody else going the same speed?
My point is, a bus carrying many people traveling at a high rate of speed and if involved in an accident causing multiple deaths and injuries would seem to take priority over a single speeder.

I am not justifying any speeding (and yes, I do all the time and risk a ticket)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
To answer your question, no I'm not a ChiPy. But I figure I am still qualified to give an answer.

I don't think anyone was going there with that. To answer your other question, which was part of mine, did it occur to you that the CHP officer had something else he needed to get done at that time that was more pressing than the speeder. Just cause he or she isn't doing what you want right when you want it doesnt mean the enforcement never happens. Take it in proportion to speeding in regular cars vs. how many get stopped and cited.
I did not mean to suggest you couldn't answer. I was hoping you were CHP
and answering with some authority.

And of course I considered that the officer could be busy with a myriad of other duties. You seem to think I am not capable of critical thinking. My original question was that, a question, not a statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
So Ribkick, you'd be cool if I wrote you a speeding ticket for 70 in a 65?
No, I wouldn't be cool with it but I would have earned it and am not a ticket virgin.

Correct me on my assumption that buses are held to speed limits as trucks and trailers. If that's the case, then he's 15 mph over the speed limit, not 5. If they are held to the highest posted limit, then I'm looking at this all wrong.

NoSTAZ
Old 02-09-2013, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribkick View Post

Correct me on my assumption that buses are held to speed limits as trucks and trailers. If that's the case, then he's 15 mph over the speed limit, not 5. If they are held to the highest posted limit, then I'm looking at this all wrong.
I'll correct you, as you are incorrect.

School buses are held to 55mph (while transporting students). Charter buses are not.

22406 VC
Old 02-09-2013, 6:07 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine mil thrill View Post
There is nothing strange about it at all. Why would a law enforcement officer be required to do so in the first place. They do not make the laws, they only enforce them. You need to direct your question to the legislators in Sacramento. They are the ones who would pass any bill that would make it a requirement.
Old 02-09-2013, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByWire View Post
I'll correct you, as you are incorrect.

School buses are held to 55mph (while transporting students). Charter buses are not.

22406 VC
Then I stand corrected. I was unaware they could travel at the posted speed limit. I can see my original question is moot as they and I are in the same boat re speed limit. Thank you.

NoSTAZ
Old 02-11-2013, 9:13 AM

You haven't been on a tour bus until you've ridden one in Russia. Our driver was rolling down a narrow street and took out someone's driver side mirror, he just kept going.....

Also, I was in one on the Autobahn, we were movin.....
Old 02-16-2013, 6:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I see them atleast once a week, southbound on the 15fwy between Barstow and Victorville going atleast 70. Many times in the fastlane. That's when I wish there was a CHP nearby. Never seems to happen though. But they find me doing 6mph over the limit and nail me for my tinted windows!
Old 02-16-2013, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason25 View Post
I see them atleast once a week, southbound on the 15fwy between Barstow and Victorville going atleast 70. Many times in the fastlane. That's when I wish there was a CHP nearby. Never seems to happen though. But they find me doing 6mph over the limit and nail me for my tinted windows!
So, in reality, you're upset that you got nailed, so you want everyone to be hammered?
Old 02-17-2013, 8:10 AM

I was reading 101 Road Patrol Tales by E.W. Tompkins Jr, a retired CHP and he told of a time that he pulled over a Greyhound bus for speeding and the driver refused to sign the ticket so the driver's supervisor came out and had to take over the bus because the original driver was now getting hauled in for refusing to sign. That was on a freeway and had passengers on it. The book is pretty interesting by the way:
http://www.amazon.com/101-Road-Patro...d+patrol+tales
Old 02-17-2013, 9:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman13 View Post
So, in reality, you're upset that you got nailed, so you want everyone to be hammered?
Not so. Per some posts above I wasnt aware that charters were not subject to limited speed laws. I dont know why they wouldnt be. I hold a commercial license and know the ability of stopping such a vehicle. When you see these busses that are holding 50+ people traveling these speeds in lanes that are not designated for commercial vehicles, it just kinda gives me a bad feeling. Maybe it will take a massive accident before they consider charters to be the same as commercial vehicles. Ive gotten my fair share of "being nailed" as Im sure many do too. Its not about that at all.

Last edited by Jason25; 02-17-2013 at 9:27 AM..