Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-24-2018, 4:28 AM

Default M1 Garand Question

I am pursuing purchasing a CMP Correct Grade M1 Garand from a private seller.

As part of the my due diligence, I want to confirm that the rifle is indeed correct before I purchase it. The seller has a CMP Correct grade certificate from when he purchased it in 2008. I called the CMP armory to get a list of items I should look for to confirm the rifle is unaltered and correct.

The gun met most of these criteria. It has the properly marked stock, proper drawing numbers on the bolt, trigger housing, hammer, and op rod.

However, there were two hang ups.

1. The sights were marked “DRC” on the wind age and “IHC” on the elevation, instead of “SA.”

2. Most importantly, the barrel drawing number started with “F” instead the “D”

The serial number and the date on the barrel both date to late 1954.

Any help would be greatly appreciate as I’d love to have the rifle if it is indeed correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 6:28 AM
CGN Contributor

You got a pic of the whole Gunar?
It is technically "correct" in the sense it could be taken out in combat and function correctly. Too many people get hung up on every single part made by the manufacturer, when in reality, every part was made to function properly on every Garand.
If it's a good deal and you like the rifle, buy it and enjoy it. The sight parts are an easy swap. I personally wouldn't lose sleep at all over those.
Old 02-24-2018, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccandgc View Post
You got a pic of the whole Gunar?
It is technically "correct" in the sense it could be taken out in combat and function correctly. Too many people get hung up on every single part made by the manufacturer, when in reality, every part was made to function properly on every Garand.
If it's a good deal and you like the rifle, buy it and enjoy it. The sight parts are an easy swap. I personally wouldn't lose sleep at all over those.

This.
The only real "correct" M1 is a mix-master. Even the big 4 Mfg's didn't make all the misc. and small parts for the gun.
Old 02-24-2018, 7:16 AM

Ok. The guy wants $1650 for it, which given the correct certificate seems reasonable for sure.

Old 02-24-2018, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
This.
The only real "correct" M1 is a mix-master. Even the big 4 Mfg's didn't make all the misc. and small parts for the gun.
I agree here with this definition of "correct". You looking for a collectible or a shooter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairygold View Post
Ok. The guy wants $1650 for it, which given the correct certificate seems reasonable for sure.
For that price you can still get two service grades directly from CMP.
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
Old 02-24-2018, 8:43 AM

Yea, I’m just starting to get into collecting so I really want to shoot for the best I can afford and get something that will continue to be collectible. For that reason, “correctness” from the CMP is important.

Old 02-24-2018, 8:52 AM

IHC/DRC windage knobs have been seen on some original late SA rifles but I am not aware of any IHC elevations. I have seen CMP Correct Grades with incorrect parts before. CMP does make mistakes
Personally I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for a common Post War papered Correct Grade

Last edited by Orlando; 02-24-2018 at 8:56 AM..
Old 02-24-2018, 9:07 AM

Barrel drawing number is correct for 1950's, DHC is correct, not sure about IHC though. Matches my correct grade (4-55 rifle).
Old 02-24-2018, 9:10 AM

Thank you guys so much. It’s looks like it’s close enough for my tastes. I was most worried about the barrel.

Old 02-24-2018, 9:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I may be way off on this but something in the back of my mind has the letter in front of the barrel number being a drawing revision?

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 02-24-2018, 11:00 AM

^^^The letter was the drawing sheet size.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

$1650 seems really steep.
Am I delusional?
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 02-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Of the the letter is the drawing sheet size. Is it still correct if it’s “F” instead of “D”. Everything I find says it should say “D”.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 AM

For me, the price seems reasonable considering correct rifles with the certificate from the CMP seem to be hard to find locally and I don’t feel like there is an abundance left coming out of the CMP.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

If the price seems reasonable to you then go for it. Based on the few pictures, it looks like the seller is providing pretty detailed pics so it doesn't seem like he's trying to hide anything.

Last year I was in a shop when a buyer was picking up his Garand, he paid about the same price & he was giddy as a schoolgirl. Sure there will be people that tell you it's possible to find one cheaper, but after a while the purchase price doesn't matter, it's more about how much you enjoy the gun.