Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 05-09-2018, 9:42 AM

Default Need recommendations for a air rifle

Hoping to get some recommendations from fellow calgunners for a air rifle purchase. Planning on using it for varmint control (rats). 50yds max (edited). Would prefer something simple to operate, iron sights, moderately quiet, price under $200.

Last edited by firebert; 05-10-2018 at 9:46 PM..
Old 05-09-2018, 11:01 AM

Any opinions about the Ruger Airhawk?
https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Airhawk.../dp/B002N45PQU
Old 05-10-2018, 3:04 PM

Your really pushing it at 75 yards and under 200. I think everyone would love that gun. Get a used Benjamin Discovery they can be had for under 200. Hopefully you have a way to fill it.
Old 05-10-2018, 3:48 PM

Yeah, I'd go Disco if you want that kind of range at a reasonable price point, but you're not going to be able to charge it at 200. Maybe 300 for rifle and pump used if you get really lucky.

You can fill them with CO2 if you've got the tank available but I don't have any idea how they perform that way.
Old 05-10-2018, 3:53 PM

From what I can tell, that Ruger looks like a 30-35 yard gun.

If you can live with that it doesn't look like a bad buy for a basic package.
Old 05-10-2018, 3:56 PM

Realistically, you should adjust your budget. For the price point you specify, definitely .22 caliber (maybe .25 if the right deal comes by). Look at the Benjamin Marauder (subsidiary of Crossman) or Hatsan (Turkish, surprisingly good stuff!). For $200, you have to find something used. New will run you around $500-600 easily but the fun factor more than makes up for it. Both go on sale at the big dealers like Airguns of Arizona, Pyramid Air, Airgun Depot, etc. Mail order, no FFL needed as not a firearm. With the right pellets, a Marauder or Hatsan can make on one hole groups at 50 yards. At 75 yards, still surprisingly accurate (and very effective against rodents) but you can watch the pellet's trajectory as it lobs onto the target. Kind of funny but damn accurate if you're not shooting into a wind. The Marauder is extremely quiet so neighborhood friendly if that's a concern.
Old 05-10-2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebert View Post
Any opinions about the Ruger Airhawk?
https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Airhawk.../dp/B002N45PQU
Honestly, you get what you pay for. It's an entry level PCP air rifle. The quality difference between that and the Benjamin Marauder is huge, but the Ruger isn't intended to compete with the Benjamin.

Think of it this way... If you're going to buy your first handgun, you could start with a HiPoint or you could start with [Glock, Beretta 92, M&P, Ruger SR9, etc.) Which is likely to be a "keeper" and which is going to be replaced? Resale on the entry-level is really questionable too.

PCP is absolutely the way to go in the long run. Spring-cockers get very old. PCP requires either a hand pump (often included with the rifle) or an air bottle like used with paintball guns. The air bottle is the way to go in the long run but you don't need to do that right away.

Also, the bigger the caliber, the noisier it will likely be, the more air-thirsty it will be, and the less cheap the pellets. (A premium .30 is still less than a .22LR but not by much.) It will also perform better at longer ranges with more knock-down power. (Inside 100 yards, a .30 air rifle can humanely take out an adult coyote.) Trade-offs!
Old 05-10-2018, 4:50 PM

Saw a post that looked like the guy on here is selling a Disco with pump for 280 picked up. Not that far over your 200$, and a good deal. He last bumped it about two weeks ago.

I don't know if it's good manners to link. It's pretty high up still in this forum.
Old 05-10-2018, 9:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely look into all the rifles you guys recommended. I lowered my requirements to 50yds max. I could also afford to pay a bit more. This will be our first air rifle so I don't know too much about the subject. I'm doing research and talking to knowledgeable folks as I go.

Last edited by firebert; 05-10-2018 at 9:47 PM..
Old 05-10-2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalt View Post
Saw a post that looked like the guy on here is selling a Disco with pump for 280 picked up. Not that far over your 200$, and a good deal. He last bumped it about two weeks ago.

I don't know if it's good manners to link. It's pretty high up still in this forum.
I found the thread and shot him a PM. Thanks
Old 05-11-2018, 9:26 AM

For less than $200, go with a spring or gas piston. You'll need to master the artillery hold -- especially at the longer ranges. While most can shoot accurate enough on paper at 50 yards, I still keep my rat shots at less than 20 yards -- even with a PCP rifle. It has less to do with the rifle's accuracy and more to do with the dynamics of hunting live animals. Our rats are smart, twitchy little critters. I like a good wide field of view in the scope for quick target acquisition in low-light and the ability to know my backstop is behind the rat. And I want to make the shot fast with little attention to breathing or other things that work well on paper but that take too much time when critters are scurrying across the hen house, pausing only for a short moment.

If you want a scope on a spring or gas piston, of course, you'll need a scope that's rated for air rifles. For a scoped gun, I'd avoid the high-power piston rifles. I have the Gamo Silent Stalker Whisper, which is a good gun overall. But the stop pin that was supposed to hold the scope mount firmly to the receiver is now a wide gash. That piston is too powerful for the quality of metal on the receiver. As an open-sighted rifle, it's fine. But I won't put a scope on it again.
Old 05-11-2018, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
...If you want a scope on a spring or gas piston, of course, you'll need a scope that's rated for air rifles.
For someone new to air rifles, this needs some clarification. With a break-barrel (cocking) air rifle, that scope you used successfully for the last three years on your 30-30 will get shredded by the shock from that tiny caliber air rifle. But should you install that same scope on any PCP air rifle, no problem whatsoever. Go figure!

Bottom line: you can't use scopes from powder-burners on SOME air rifle types , like springers and break-barrel. PCP air rifles are perfectly happy with "powder-burner" rifle scopes. Do your research with any of the big air rifle vendors. They're well aware of what will work on the air rifle you have.

FWIW, while springers and break-barrel air rifles can be fine, PCP (pre-charged pneumatic) air rifles are on a whole different performance tier. If you habitually tend to migrate toward high performance (cars, computers, guns...), start with a good quality, starter PCP air rifle. If you aren't THAT concerned with performance or quality, focus on price. If you aren't sure, find some nearby air rifle owners who will help you out by letting you shoot their rifles to get a better feel for how you want to go. Try posting also on forums like Airgun Nation.
Old 05-11-2018, 9:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Use one of these style scope mounts on the springers and NPs.
Cheap and effective, keeps the scope in place and zeroed.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leape...m_Dovetail/636