Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 3:00 PM

Default These things really do need to break in

Got my new Benjamin Mayhem .22 nitro piston rifle and finally took it out to the range. I set up at 25 yards and tried sighting in the iron sights. It took several shots just to get it on paper, and when things started getting close I was off paper again because the rear sight mounting screws had come loose

I put a dab of blue lock tite on the screws, torqued them down and tried again. of course now I was back off paper because tightening screws requires disassembly of the rear sight, but I got back on with a few shots.

About 20 shots in, my shots hit the general area of where I was aiming but groups were large and a LOT of flyers. The gun sounded and felt different each shot. Checked the target and it looked like it was key-holing

I started thinking this thing is garbage and a waste of money. But I know in the manual it states to give it 100 shots to break in so I kept at it. Around 40 shots I decided it was time to mount the scope and get that dialed in. Got it on paper but still large groups. I brought several tins of different brands/weights to try out and at this point none of them were consistent. It was breezy out, but I don't think it would affect shot placement this much at only 25 yards.

Around 75 shots things are starting to improve. Grouping getting tighter, gun sounds quieter, key holing seems to have gone away for the most part. Checked all scope mounts again and kept at it.
Better grouping

At 100 rounds my arm is getting fried from cocking it over and over, but this thing is starting to look like a shooter. At this point I kept with the same pellets and made minor adjustments to get it dialed in. After 5 hours and +/- 120 shots I got a satisfying result

I will end the day with this. May still need more shots to break in fully and I still need to dial in what ammo she likes. And I need to hit the gym lol

Old 06-19-2018, 3:31 PM

Diligence pays off. Good on you for being patient. Not a bad group either!
Old 06-19-2018, 7:19 PM

Yea they will tighten up. You'll probably be closer to 500 shots with a nitro piston, more with a spring. But good shooting it's definitely improving!
Old 06-27-2018, 12:16 PM

You will also find that you are learning how to shoot the gun. They are finicky about how you hold them and what pellets you use.

I have had the best luck with H&N Match wadcutter pellets for shooting paper at 10-25 yards. And JSB Exact pellets for shooting beyond that.

If you go to Pyramid Air they have just about every pellet known to man and you can look and compare.

Tjhis is definately a place where the more you shoot, the better you get.

Randy

www.buchananprecisionmachine.com