Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 06-02-2018, 2:55 PM

Default Anyone have experience with GAMO air rifles?

A relative has a pigeon problem in a barn. I am weary that the use of my 10/22 will pass through the bird and roof and extend beyond. I have an old crosman pump pellet gun that has lost power and I think one of these high power airguns will fit the bill.

I would like to keep this in the mid $200 range. I think a .177 would work for what I intend to use it for, but a .22 pellet would be best. The silencer is not a deal breaker, but I think I would prefer to have one. I have been doing some research and reading reviews and want a break barrel with the gas piston design

I had my eye on the Gamo "whisper fusion mach 1": https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_..._CAT/4021/7682
Price is right, has a scope, looks pretty powerful @ 1020fps

At the upper end of the price range is the "Gamo swarm magnum" https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_...Air_Rifle/4560
a little more pricy, but I like the idea of a repeater type break barrel w/detachable mag, and the thumbhole stock would be sweet. a little less velocity @ 975fps

my other option was not from Gamo, its the "Benjamin trail NP XL" https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benja...ifle/2052/4170
a little cheaper than the swarm, thumbhole stock, more power @ 1100fps

thoughts? any others i should look at? where might i find one on sale or a coupon one?
Old 06-04-2018, 7:08 PM

I payed more for my Gamo Big Cat 1200 than a Mosin in 2010. It came with a 4 x 9 x 40 scope. It is .177. I have no problem dropping pigeons from the top of telephone poles. I use the 10.34 grain heavy dome pellet for the sky rats. Lightest was a 7.4 or so pellet. This Springer is loud. Top speed claim is 1200 with PBA ammo. I like mine, it is very accurate.
Old 06-04-2018, 7:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Benjamin Nitro Piston in .177 or .22 (quieter than the .177).
These come with a moderator.
They are quieter than the Gamos, even the silenced Gamos.
Maybe half the noise of a spring gun is the spring itself.
Nitro piston gets rid of most of this noise.
The Benjamin comes with a "Charlie Da Tuna" style trigger, just lighten the return spring for a nicer trigger pull.

Gamo or other brand, springer or NP, I suggest one of these scope mounts ( or similar) to keep everything in place:
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leape...8_Dovetail/805
Old 06-04-2018, 7:31 PM

Amazon has your first one listed (Mach 1) for $218 vs $289 from your link. Pretty good deal if you're still looking.
Old 06-04-2018, 7:35 PM
Owner/Operator Whopper!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Prozac, sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

The Swarm is a good idea that doesn't work. My regular old springer break action Gamo keeps the casa pigeon free with .177 s.

The scopes are garbage though.

The same thing happens when you are stupid.
Old 06-04-2018, 7:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Benjamin NP in .177 for $143.11 with free ship:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/352282277687

Have fun shopping!
Old 06-04-2018, 7:48 PM

I've had a few Gamo Springers. They shoot but can be rather loud. There are some Springers that are designed to be quiet. The action is louder than the muzzle report.

The Springers are harder to shoot proficiently. The action starts Shifting the gun around before the pellet leaves the barrel.

IMO, if you want an air gun to solve the immediate problem, a pump air pistol will solve it handily. If you want something you might actually want to shoot on occasion for fun. You might look into a PCP rifle. Quieter, more consistent and easier to shoot proficiently.
Old 06-05-2018, 6:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you're near Ventura county I'll sell you my Gamo whisper cat for $100. It just sits ever since I got my Diana. Max 500 rounds through it would be my guess. .177 caliber 1000fps Not really trying to sell it but if you're interested I'll let it go.
Old 06-07-2018, 6:26 AM

Cabalas has the whisper fusion mach 1 in .22 on clearance right now for $209/free ship
Good timing!
Old 06-07-2018, 10:23 AM

I have a Gamo Silent Stalker Whisper. I took the scope off it since the stop pin dug a groove right down the receiver. IMO, scopes might be fine for moderate power springers/gas pison guns. But these higher power ones are better served with open sights. The scope and mount were fine. It was the gun itself that couldn't handle the force of all that weight being jerked around on the receiver. A lighter weight scope might be fine. But a simple UTG Bug scope mounted with a 1-piece dovetail (with stop pin) was too much.

The Gamo is backyard friendly. Learn the artillery hold and you'll do fine out to 50 yards or so on pigeons. If it's just pigeons, & you're getting 900 fps or so, .177 is all you need. It will probably still blow out the back end of the bird. With 7.9 gr basic domed pellets, I often get 2 holes in squirrels. I've made head shots out to 30 yards on squirrels and had their eyes popping out from the force of the pellet inside their heads. They almost look like rockfish brought up from deep water. I've had to take out a few larger critters over the years with it. All shots were pretty darned close but 5-10 lb animals will drop with a well-placed shot.

Accuracy-wise, it's as good as you are. For any piston-driven gun, you must MASTER the artillery hold. Grip it tightly or get too tense and you'll see your groups open up. Relax, hold it loosely in just the right spot and you can drill dimes out to 15 yards with just open sights. Last winter, I was playing around with some fist-size snowballs set out at about 40 yards and could whack them just shooting off-hand or kneeling. The potential is there if you put in the work to learn it. It took many evenings of practice over a few months to figure it out. But once you get it, it's amazing what you can do with these guns.

I had originally started with the B. Trail NP and sent it back. For some reason, when shot with the shroud, I couldn't group very well. But when I took the shroud off, it worked fine. It looks terrible with the shroud off and was a lot louder. But I went back and forth several times over many days to confirm before eventually sending it back. I picked up the Gamo and have been satisfied with it.

But if you want to get some serious pigeon-busting, yes, go for the PCP in .22 or even .25. I took out a pigeon a few months ago with my .22 Hatsan at about 65 yards. Even out that far, the pellet blew straight through it, leaving a hole I could wedge my pinky into. They're almost boring to shoot at times because they're just so dang accurate and easy. I have to concentrate a lot to shoot piston guns well. With the PCP, it's almost effortless.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:36 AM

Where are these pigeons?
Old 06-07-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrob77 View Post
Where are these pigeons?
Pigeons are everywhere!

The ones that need to go are on some property that a relative owns and pigeons have taken roost in the barn and crap all over the hay bales (not good). There is a rat population that I can hopefully get squared away, but the pigeons are the immediate problem due to potentially sickening livestock.

I have been watching a lot of videos of guys night hunting rats with some high end equipment. Looks like a lot of fun, but night vision scopes and high powered PCP rifles are way out of my budget. But I think I can make a dent in the population with a Gamo and a few cold ones
Old 06-08-2018, 12:29 PM

Before I purchased I went back on forth between Gamo and Benjamin. Ultimately decided I wanted to buy a product from an american company and did research on more Benjamin models. I had my eye on one of the Benjamin Trail NP2's, and then came across the Mayhem NP2 SBD on sale @ midway for $191.

I like the way the stock looks. I like how the picatinny rail is built into the receiver and has decent, usable iron sights. The scope is probably not the greatest, but can always be upgraded later if need be. The silencer is a bit large, but I think having this thing be as quiet as possible will help when shooting inside a barn. The rifle had good reviews on a few different sites, and if it comes down to it they have a good warranty.

I ended up ordering the Mayhem, a tin of the H&N pellet samplers, and a few other random tins from Midway. Sure, I could have bought it off amazon, but I feel much better giving money to Larry Potterfield than to Jeff Bezos, not to mention I tacked on a couple bucks for the NRA round up donation.

Fathers day is coming up soon and I know there will be some bass pro gift cards. Any other accessories/supplies I should look at getting?
Old 06-14-2018, 8:49 PM

Pigeons are weak a 177 is good enough. It doesn't need to be shooting all that fast or with high energy. 4FPE on target is more than enough. If your near east bay I have several air rifle that would fit the bill. Hw30s, Sheridan Blue Streak, Benjamin 317 that I can think of.