Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:34 PM

I learned that this barrel follows standard threading where left is loosen and right is tighten. Never seen that before. Most of my other builds used reverse threading on the barrel.
Old 03-15-2017, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinos View Post
I learned that this barrel follows standard threading where left is loosen and right is tighten. Never seen that before. Most of my other builds used reverse threading on the barrel.
have you shot it yet? did you order with no muzzel device?
Old 03-15-2017, 1:13 PM

I've ordered from Delta a couple times. No uppers but I ordered a stock and a LPK & BCG on different occasions. Parts were all fine. Nothing outstanding but I don't expect anything outstanding when paying $40 for a LPK and $75 for a BCG. I believe shipping was free as well. Confirmation e-mail same day or following day. Orders arrived in less than 5 business days both times.

I have not ordered an upper from Delta but I've gambled on some $200 range uppers before. For $200, I expect an upper to be just that, a gamble.
Old 03-15-2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn3hz3ku1* View Post
have you shot it yet? did you order with no muzzel device?
I only test fired a mag through it but it cycled fine. It came with a flash hider which I took off since I'm going featureless. I have a brake coming in that I'm going to install and the stock is pinned. I'm waiting on a Leupold scope to come in and then I'll do some bench shooting and report back.
Old 03-15-2017, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinos View Post
I only test fired a mag through it but it cycled fine. It came with a flash hider which I took off since I'm going featureless. I have a brake coming in that I'm going to install and the stock is pinned. I'm waiting on a Leupold scope to come in and then I'll do some bench shooting and report back.
great thanks for the detailed response
Old 03-16-2017, 10:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a bunch of their brakes, freefloats and a Davidson Defense barrel. All worked out well, I do like the slim freefloat keymods. One I paid $39 for, it's excellent, keymod, superslim, lightweight and a smooth FDE ceracoat finish.

The Davidson Defense barrel is a super match SS 16" spiral fluted Wyle 1/8 twist, nicely made and finished. It's marked, "USA". They claim it's a E.R Shaw SS blank.

During break in at the 25 yard range it did well, hole on top of hole.

Out at Octillo at 100~400 yards not so good. I got about a 4 moa with XM193 Federal. Hornady 75 grain match did no better. I'm not sure why this isn't doing better. It shoots and cycles perfectly.

Meanwhile, that ARD 7.62x39 barrel I bought a couple of years ago from them is going strong, it's a match grade AR-47 barrel. It does 2 moa with sloppy Wolf or Tula. I was banging the 400 yard steel every shot with it.

When your commie steel ammo is killing your expensive Hornady Match ammo something doesn't add up. That ARD AR-47 is my favorite AR shooter now.

Now I have a nice Criterion 16" I'm assembling, that ought to float my boat.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:26 AM

I have one of their uppers, ss barrel , wylde chamber, accuracy is good, no complaints.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:51 AM
Calguns Addict

LoL
Old 05-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Reminds me of Daniel Defense like those downtown electronic stores that sell knockoffs:

Somy vs Sony
Panasomic vs Panasonic
Canon vs Canyon

Old 05-30-2017, 8:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I also added several of their $17 ambi safety selectors. Those are great with a shorter left side tang. They are also slotted with a sideways cut so they don't rub. The freefoats are all going strong here.

Stuff like that is pretty safe to buy. For critical parts like barrels and triggers the proven leaders are the best buy.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 AM

Delta Team Tactical = "Davidson Defense"

Garth Davidson is the owner of DTT. "Davidson Defense" is him branding his uppers that he puts together himself using different parts. ER Shaw does not provide them with barrels LOL. Not at those prices LOL
Old 02-11-2018, 5:53 PM

Well what are other's experiences now?

I want to buy an upper from them just to tinker with and get that I am only paying $200, but I expect it to shoot consistently and not fall apart.
Old 02-11-2018, 5:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoljake View Post

I want to buy an upper from them just to tinker with and get that I am only paying $200, but I expect it to shoot consistently and not fall apart.
I ordered a DD stock and grip. I went back and forth with them for 2 1/2 months. Keep in mind it said "in stock". I finally told them I was going to call Discover card. They said we'll get it shipped. I told them they had one week. I got tracking the next day.

Never again
Old 02-11-2018, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Wait, what?! The bargain bin priced chinese junk isn’t high quality?
Old 02-12-2018, 2:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

What's wrong with the one's at PSA?? They seem to have a good rep and there's always some on sale with free ship.

Quite a few listed here as shown below on page 2.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/daily...rder=price&p=2

Last edited by Calamity Sue; 02-12-2018 at 2:35 AM..
Old 02-12-2018, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Sue View Post
What's wrong with the one's at PSA?? They seem to have a good rep and there's always some on sale with free ship.

Quite a few listed here as shown below on page 2.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/daily...rder=price&p=2
Yes you are a wise one for sure. As much as I would prefer to give my money to someone else maybe PSA is the best choice for me this time.
Old 02-12-2018, 7:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes you are a wise one for sure. As much as I would prefer to give my money to someone else maybe PSA is the best choice for me this time.
Most of their parts are well received, although I have yet to build one. Building one might the only way I'll be able to get another though.

Sneak a piece here, sneak a piece there. Sneak a piece everywhere.
Old 02-12-2018, 8:02 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Buy once cry once.... You get what you pay for...

All of the above.
Old 02-12-2018, 9:32 AM

bought a H3 buffer from them thought it was a good price. Basically was a regular buffer dipped in lead then painted black. As soon as I put the spring on its was caught and peeling back off that crap.
Old 02-12-2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dune870demon View Post
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM DAVIDSON DEFENSE, THEIR PRODUCTS ARE NOT MIL SPEC, CHEAP *** STEEL. ITS NOT WORTH IT. SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS ON A BETTER COMPANY.

I bought a Davidson defense 16 inch upper from delta team tactical. While trying to remove the muzzle device on the upper It began to rotate while still attached to the upper. Upon closer inspection the barrel was unscrewing itself from the barrel extension due to the counter clockwise rotation. So I pulled the barrel out and attempted to remove the muzzle device by putting it into a bolted down vice, to no avail except testing my patience and winning. I tried heat, I tried oil, I tried brute force with the torque wrench nothing worked on this muzzle device. So I thought maybe I was trying to rotate it the wrong way so I put it back in the upper and rotated clockwise and ended up snapping the locking pin on the barrel extension that locks the barrel into the upper so it does not rotate. That's right snapped it sheared it straight off. Super low-quality cheap steel that should never see itself on an AR 15 or any firearm platform, I really expected better than this… I didn't expect high quality or even medium quality such as Palmetto but i expected better than airsoft quality, I honestly think a plastic barrel would be more sturdy than this. This was a waste of money a waste of time and a waste of patience I shall forever steer clear of Davidson defense. As for my experience with delta team tactical, they shipped fast they responded to my email fast, good customer service so far they still have an A in my book, Davidson defense doesn't even get an F because that's not low enough on the grading scale.

If you would have used a vise and clamped down on the actual barrel, you might not have had this issue... Don't blame the manufacturer for your screw up.

Last edited by pistolero805; 02-12-2018 at 6:02 PM..
Old 02-13-2018, 9:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolero805 View Post
If you would have used a vise and clamped down on the actual barrel, you might not have had this issue...
If the barrel extension were torqued on to 100-120ft-lbs like it was supposed to be, it would not unscrew from 20-50ft-lbs that it takes to remove a muzzle device.

So yes, if he KNEW that his barrel was not assembled to spec, he could have averted tragedy by holding the barrel instead of the receiver.
That's not an issue with quality barrels though.
Colt/LMT/BCM/Armalite/Bushmaster or even PSA barrels don't unscrew the extension while swapping muzzle devices.

At the $150-$200 price point for a complete upper, the quality expectation should be obvious.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

The prices are so cheap on that site, it is laughable. I can imagine what the quality is like before reading this thread.
Old 02-14-2018, 1:06 AM
Calguns Addict

And they say AK guys are cheap. Lol.
Old 02-14-2018, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
This.
Old 02-14-2018, 9:15 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
This really blows my mind Mike, I sometimes think gun forum guys are some of the biggest cheapskates and the most clueless morons at the same time. You're going to take a cartridge with w/ 50,000+ psi and load it into a cheaply made barrel and bolt carrier and fire it inches away from your head. Yeah... great idea.

As if there is no reason a Daniel Defense rifle is going to set you back $1,600 and the knockoff is $365. Then again I don't buy Harbor Freight tools either.
Old 02-14-2018, 9:22 AM

You mean you're surprised the cheap chinese crap doesn't work on your MiLSpeC RiFLe?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:40 AM

i believe China cant export gun parts to the US anymore. Also, China has no problem making decent firearms.

buy cheap, buy twice. you pay chicken price, then complain about not getting lobsters.

your hands and heads are inches away from the explosion, and you want the device which contains the explosion cheap.

there are US and EU made guns, cars, cloth, and whatever you can think of. please buy them and leave China or whatever political crap alone

Last edited by SmallShark; 02-14-2018 at 11:42 AM..
Old 02-14-2018, 4:55 PM

maybe I am just lucky, I had three of the DD uppers that had at least 6k rounds thru each of them. One was a melonite Hbar, one was a SS and the other was the $169 special
No problems, until they were lost in a tragic boating accident
Old 03-08-2018, 11:12 AM

Glad I found this post, was about to purchase one of their complete uppers.
Old 03-08-2018, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
This really blows my mind Mike, I sometimes think gun forum guys are some of the biggest cheapskates and the most clueless morons at the same time. You're going to take a cartridge with w/ 50,000+ psi and load it into a cheaply made barrel and bolt carrier and fire it inches away from your head. Yeah... great idea.

As if there is no reason a Daniel Defense rifle is going to set you back $1,600 and the knockoff is $365. Then again I don't buy Harbor Freight tools either.
As a lefty who shoots right handed guns I’ve learned to be careful. I do not want a rifle exploding across my face.