Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-13-2013, 7:52 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Arrow Official Recipe Thread

it seems like this is long overdue.
perhaps it will keep the other threads from being highjacked?

re pheasant recipe: I don't have one but my mother used cook pheasant breast [yes, dad was a hunter!] in a mushroom sauce. it was divine!

anyone want a good lamb meatball recipe? i'm willing and able on that one!

eta: re boar: I love it! but I've never cooked it. there's a restaurant in Ben Lomond called the Tyrolean Inn. they make a boar dish that is tasty. you might try looking at german recipes.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D

Last edited by movie zombie; 10-13-2013 at 8:02 AM..
Old 10-13-2013, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
the observation that while cooking is an interest for many on calguns, it gets slammed in OT. too bad about that.

i'm not trying to reinforce that a woman's place is in the kitchen; i'm trying to create a safe place for men and women alike to share their cooking recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieZombie
and if you only want to make rude comments about participants, please keep it to yourself. OT is the place you want to be.

I cut and pasted this from the other thread; but, it's worth repeating here. MZ, thank you for stating this upfront. It was a male CalGunner that commented to us here in the Ladies Forum that he is not able to post recipes on CG without receiving hassle. We are happy to host that thread here so that no one will feel like he or she will get clowned for posting a recipe. That said, I expect this thread to stay above the board and any negative or mocking comments about a recipe thread in the Ladies Forum will be frowned upon.

Quote:
i'm hoping stilly jumps in with that "chicken tikka masala - crockpot style" recipe!

Yes!!!! I love Indian food!

BK
Old 10-13-2013, 9:07 AM

OK found it, i hit the web site Tyrolean Inn, not really that expensive, all sounds good except for the sauerkraut. Should I find myself down there I will make a point to try it. I have cooked the mushroom sauce with both chicken and pheasant, agreed that is comfort food.
Old 10-13-2013, 9:15 AM

I remember a board dish with a really nice red sauce........sort of like medallions of boar.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 10-13-2013, 3:52 PM

here is the link to my mac & cheese thread - lots of yummy ideas and good recipe links by guy calgunners : )

i still need to buy those dang lil smokies

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post12467358
Old 10-14-2013, 8:10 AM

oh, yeah, good call to link that thread here!
even though I prefer my mac 'n cheese more traditional i'm going to be experimenting.
Quote:
Old 10-16-2013, 1:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Ok, I gave this recipe to chickshooter recently, but I'll post it here for all to try:

My chile verde. (I might post the recipe for this at a later time!

My chile Colorado

Okay, this usually fills one 7 quart crockpot, but I prefer to do it on the stove. I usually make it in the stove, and refrigerate it for warming in the crockpot next day. If you use a crockpot from start to finish, do not over cook the meat. It will get dry and chewy, and lose a lot of its flavor.

What you need

Meat about 3 pounds give or take.
Any stew meat will do, but I like to use boneless beef short ribs (Costco sometimes has large packs of these). (Game meat would work too.) I usually figure 8-10 pieces per person.

Dried chile pods
I use the big bag of the ones you get at Mexican markets (and sometimes at lucky, Safeway, etc). New Mexico chiles.

One or two small cans of chipotle in adobo, the small ones available at your local market. More = hotter
Oil or lard.
Medium onion, roughly chopped
Garlic, diced into small chunks
Cumin 1/2 teaspoon
Ancho chile powder 1/4 teaspoon
Paprika 1/4 teaspoon
Masa harina 2 table spoons
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
White vinegar 1/4 cup
Dark Brown sugar 2-3 tablespoons (you can use regular, but the dark brown give a little better flavor).
Tortillas (flour or corn, I like flour with this dish better).
Sour cream
Shredded jack/cheddar cheese
Like wedges
Chopped cilantro

Rehydrate some peppers (about 12-15 med- large) in boiling water, let sit for about 45 mins.

While the peppers sit,
Brown the meat in the oil (lard has much better flavor, but is not so good for you), If you use short ribs, don't cut them into chunks yet. Just brown them well on all sides. After browning, cut them into the desired size chunks. I like big chunks, but the minimum size should be about 1 inch cubes. (Again, I like larger 2 inch chunks).
Set aside.

Drain the peppers, reserve the liquid. In a blender purée the them until the make a think sauce, add some of the reserved liquid to keep it from being too thick. Add the chipotle in adobo and blend it in with the other chiles. (You may also add the seasonings here if you wish, or wait and add as below.)

Brown the onions and the garlic.
If you want a little smokey flavor, add the seasonings now and let them get hot almost to the smoke point (but be careful, cook them to much and they will become bitter and gross.)
Add the chile sauce and the meat back into the pan. If necessary, add some more of the reserved liquid to just cover the meat.

Barely simmer on low (just a few bubbles breaking the surface) for about 2 1/2 hours.

Add the masa flour and stir to avoid lumps.
Add the brown sugar.
Add the vinegar.

Simmer another 1/2 hour or until the meat is tender. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and some of the liquid will be absorbed by the meat. If its thin, add a little more flour and some a few minutes.

Serve with warm tortillas, cheese a dallop of sour cream, a sprinkle of cilantro, and some lime wedges. And an ice cold beer!

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 10-16-2013, 6:01 PM

OMG, those look yummy!
Quote:
Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
OMG, those look yummy!
Oh, they definitely are!! When I make it just for me, and/or a few select friends that can handle it, I will add to the paste (during blending) some habanero, or ghost chiles! Bump up the heat!! Most don't like it that hot though.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
I cut and pasted this from the other thread; but, it's worth repeating here. MZ, thank you for stating this upfront. It was a male CalGunner that commented to us here in the Ladies Forum that he is not able to post recipes on CG without receiving hassle. We are happy to host that thread here so that no one will feel like he or she will get clowned for posting a recipe. That said, I expect this thread to stay above the board and any negative or mocking comments about a recipe thread in the Ladies Forum will be frowned upon.

Yes!!!! I love Indian food!

BK
...So really, I just wanted things to be a bit more organized and I will not ever post anymore recipes in OT because quite frankly, I do not really like going in that place anymore.

With that said, I am sure the ladies would keep a RECIPE thread from getting buried like they have been in OT, because, well, you know why...

SO with that, here is MY first contribution to this thread.

Cajun Beef Tenderloin rub for, well, I use it for Beef.. I made it into a PDF some time ago.

Anyways

enjoy a commercial quality rub that can make all cuts of beef taste good.

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/ca...tenderloin.pdf

As for the Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Massala, well, since I discovered POACHED chicken I have been wondering if I need to revisit that and make some changes.

It is NOT a finished product now that I learned a few more things. I will wait a day or so before posting it :\

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

Last edited by stilly; 10-17-2013 at 12:05 AM..
Old 10-17-2013, 7:57 AM

son, you must post the chili verde recipe!

stilly, that rub would be equally good on pork!
I recently did one similar on pork belly and my husband said "you nailed it!"
Quote:
Old 10-17-2013, 9:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It could very well be. I do not eat pork usually. Lately though I have made nothing but chicken.

Old 10-17-2013, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

Cooking/Recipe thread sounds like a good idea. Great way for calgunner's to show off their cooking skills and recipes.

I've just sent a message to the higher ups so waiting to hear back.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 10-17-2013, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

Simple Mead.

5 gallon carboy w/ airlock
15.5 pounds of honey (your choice)
1 packet of Lalvin D47 Yeast and 1 tsp of yeast nutrient
4+ gallon of bottled spring water to fill carboy

-Combine honey with warmed spring water in stock pot (about a gallons worth) to thin out honey for pouring.

-Fill carboy 3/4 full, cap and agitate vigorously for five minutes, this aerates the must.

-Fill carboy 1" above shoulder, pitch yeast after activating it in a little warm water.

-Place airlock, leave alone.

At this point if you have another carboy, after one month, siphon the mead from the first carboy into the second. This is called racking and helps the overall flavor by getting the mead away from the now dormant yeast collecting on the bottom of the carboy.

If you only have one carboy, leave it alone for 2-3 months. Bottle as desired and ENJOY!

(sorry I am not a lady)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 10-17-2013, 2:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
son, you must post the chili verde recipe!

stilly, that rub would be equally good on pork!
I recently did one similar on pork belly and my husband said "you nailed it!"
I will try to do it later tonight when I get home.

Old 10-17-2013, 2:54 PM

what? you don't think men will come into the Ladies Forum to post recipes? they're already doing it! and I actually think it will get more traffic here instead of buried in with other forums. the other thing it accomplishes is it keeps posters from dropping back into OT communication mode. sorry but I think it should be kept here.....but, hey, it is not my website, is it? but i'm glad you thought it was a good idea, Ricky.
Quote:
Old 10-17-2013, 3:13 PM

I cook for a living. Tagged for reference.
Old 10-17-2013, 3:24 PM

oh, you can't say that, JWHuey, and not drop a recipe/idea or two for us!
Quote:
Old 10-17-2013, 3:28 PM

My little girl and the reject Nutella cupcakes that weren't pretty enough for my clients. I'll add the recipe when I get to my home computer.
Old 10-17-2013, 3:54 PM

while I don't like nutella in the least, my husband being from AU would offer to take those off her hands! they do look yummy!
Quote:
Old 10-17-2013, 4:14 PM

How about yellowtail?
Water.

To the.

Plate.
Old 10-17-2013, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Oh, they definitely are!! When I make it just for me, and/or a few select friends that can handle it, I will add to the paste (during blending) some habanero, or ghost chiles! Bump up the heat!! Most don't like it that hot though.
ghosts!!!!

i bought the masa so i am one step closer to trying the recipe!

i'm not a prepper but making mead sounds great. i did lemoncello last year so now people expect things from me.

Last edited by Off the Roster; 10-17-2013 at 9:10 PM..
Old 10-17-2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHuey View Post
How about yellowtail?
i bow to your exceptional plating skills!
Old 10-17-2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHuey View Post
My little girl and the reject Nutella cupcakes that weren't pretty enough for my clients. I'll add the recipe when I get to my home computer.
oh no!!! 4 cupcakes and only 2 hands!!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
Cooking/Recipe thread sounds like a good idea. Great way for calgunner's to show off their cooking skills and recipes.

I've just sent a message to the higher ups so waiting to hear back.
hehehe, LET me speed up their reply: This is a GUN site, not a FOOD site. What is wrong with posting your recipes in OT like everyone else? :P

Okay, I admit, I put the :P on myself...

Now for that chicken tikka...

PLEASE keep in mind that I made this recipe BEFORE I discovered poached chicken and how to NOT poach it, or poach it the proper way. Actually, I THINK this could work out with a slight variation.

Here is the variation: Turn on the crockpot and allow the ingredients to heat up to a boiling point (pour it all in, but leave out the chicken, check back in xx minutes depending on your crockpot) Once it is boiling/bubbling, turn it off and drop in your chicken (slowly) and mix it around. Turn the heat/crockpot back on and just let it sit for about a 10-15 minutes but if you see it start to boil, TURN IT OFF. Then let it sit for half hour or an hour or so. I have found that it also helps to cut the breasts into strips/filets or whatever pieces you use (boneless thigh/leg meat) make sure they are not THICK, cut them in half or filet them slightly, maybe like butterfly them. This will improve the cooking.

The reason for this variation is that I have found that by putting the crockpot on high or low for xx hours my crockpot seems to BOIL the meat after a while and THAT IS BAD for chicken. By boiling chicken you make it tough and dry it out. But by turning off the heat and just letting it simmer it should absorb and be very juicy. This is of course going to happen if you take the chicken out from the fridge and put it into the already boiling sauce, which will cool it down a bit and reduce the temp from boiling.

Now the recipe:
http://www.stillyvision.com/files/St...ikkaMasala.pdf

Maybe next recipe I will post will be my apple pie moonshine or cherry watermelon moonshine...

Last edited by stilly; 10-18-2013 at 1:08 AM..
Old 10-18-2013, 8:13 AM

dang, stilly, that sounds and looks good as well!
i'm going to have to figure out how to do this w/o a crockpot and in my 5-qt le creuset. think I've got an idea on how to do it.
Quote:
Old 10-18-2013, 8:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you get the sauce mixture heated up and get it to boil you can do it in a regular pot and then drop in the chicken and then just remove from heat and let it sit for about a half hour or more.

You will most likely have a burned layer on the bottom though.

Before I knew about this I was always letting it boil the chicken so the recipe did not pay much attention to that. Now I know to NEVER let your chicken boil and it comes out the best. Well, I have not revisited the recipe after the poaching method was learned, I will have to do that and then redo it. :\

Old 10-18-2013, 8:44 AM

no, the le creuset will no have a burn on the bottom. I've been cooking with it a while and "know it".........and I figured the chicken would cook well enough in the sauce w/o the burner being on. going to have to try it!
Quote:
Old 10-18-2013, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Maybe next recipe I will post will be my apple pie moonshine or cherry watermelon moonshine...
Please do would love to know how to make it
Old 10-19-2013, 2:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Cherry Watermelon Moonshine is so named after making Dave's Apple Pie Moonshine and his Peach Pie Moonshine. There are no stills to be used and it is eprfectly legal since really it is just a liquor...

For this recipe I actually grabbed a fresh watermelon and pureed it in my food processor, then strained out the pulp and kept the juice. I did this because I found no real WATERMELON juice in the stores... (is it even healthy?)

1 8lb or so watermelon makes plenty of juice for this recipe.

Stilly's Cherry-Watermelon Moonshine:

Mix in the following:
160z Watermelon juice
16oz Cherry juice (I used Juicy Juice)
1/2C white sugar
1/2C brown sugar
12oz Watermelon Pucker (schnapps I think)

BOIL IT ALL. Let it cook down for about 10 minutes.

Let it cool down to room temp and then pour in the following:

4oz EC190
2oz Cherry syrup (smart and final cherry snowcone syrup)
2oz Watermelon syrup (smart and final watermelon snowcone syrup)

Bottle it and let it sit for about two weeks...

Enjoy. Sorry, no PDF as of yet.

Old 10-21-2013, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Hummus

Here's my recipe.

The proper way to start is to put chickpeas in water overnight and then cook them the next day.

The easy way is to buy a couple of cans of garbanzo beans (15.5-16.0 ozs each).

Drain the water out of the can.

Rinse the beans in hot water and peel as much of the loose stuff off the beans.

3 cups garbanzo beans (save 4-5 beans for later)
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice or bottled lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup hot water
3 tablespoons tahini sauce
1/3 teaspoon garlic paste.
1/4 teaspoon cummin powder
Virgin olive oil

Food processor

Add 3 cups garbanzo beans, 3 tablespoons tahini, 1/4 cup lemon juice and mix. Gradually add the 1/4 cup hot water. Once it starts smoothing out a bit, drizzle 10-12 seconds of olive oil while the processor is still running. This is important as it makes the hummus smooth and fluffy. While processor is running, add salt, cummin and garlic one at a time. Let spin for 1-2 minutes until texture is creamy.

Taste. Here is where you can fine tune it by potentially adding more salt or more lemon juice.

Spread hummus in a bowl and use a spoon or spatula to create a higher center, drizzle a bit of olive oil in a circle. The olive oil stays in the shallow area. Add a 4-5 garbanzo beans to the middle for decoration (this can get fancier with other stuff added too).

Pita bread. Buy the good stuff from bakeries not from the chain grocery stores.

Avo's, Orient and Caravan are good pita brands. Cut the bread in wedges or tear off a portion and make a wedge to scoop up the hummus (traditionally eaten this way and if you get good at scooping up, your fingers will not touch the food).

Enjoy!

CGN

Last edited by RP1911; 03-16-2014 at 8:33 AM..
Old 10-21-2013, 8:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If anyone wants to make apple pie moonshine then it is best to get to Oak Glen and buy some REAL apple cider fresh from Snowline or Los Rios...

Old 10-21-2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1911 View Post
Here's my recipe.
thank you for the hummus recipe!
Old 10-22-2013, 5:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickshooter View Post
thank you for the hummus recipe!
You are welcome.

Those of you who have a Facebook account and like Armenian and Middle Eastern food, will find many recipes here:

https://www.facebook.com/ARMENIANAND...EASTERNCOOKING
CGN
Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I just made some Buttery Cherry-Apple Pie Moonshine tonight. Well, actually 2 gallons and then some after the alcohol is added...

I started with a recipe from Goodoleways website- Called Dave's Apple Pie Moonshine.

I had two gallons of fresh apple cider from Los Rios and Snowline. One was regular cider and one was Cherry-Apple Cider. SO I mixed both gallons and got this:

1 Gallon of Apple Cider
1 Gallon of Apple Juice (substituted cherry-apple cider instead)
1 1/2 C White sugar
2 1/2 C Brown sugar
8 cinnamon sticks (used 10)

MIX and heat in a large pot on the stove. Bring it to a BOIL. Make certain all is mixed in and no sugar is left.

Turn off the heat and let it cool down to room temp.

Add the following AFTER it has cooled down to about room temp (else the alcohol will evap away):
1L (1000ml)of EverClear 190Proof (EC-190)
+ 3 OZ vanilla (I used 4OZ)
+ 9OZ buttershots Schnapps (1OZ per QT of liquid)- But I used 11OZ instead.
Basically I added 1.5OZ per QT of butterscotch schnapps this time.
Staters no longer carries the butterscotch schnapps, so go elsewhere, I got mine at Ralphs...
Mix and strain into jars/bottles. For extra flavor, place one cinnamon stick into each bottle. It will sit with the mixture and give it extra zing as it mellows.

Let it sit for approximately 2-3 weeks and then bust out and let the fun begin.
Wide Mouth MAson Jars work best. This stuff is good to give as gifts also.
Good stuff and goes down smooth.

Old 11-02-2013, 7:04 AM

Oh, My: I have lots of wide mouth Mason jars begging to be filled with this.

questions: does it have to be fresh Apple Cider? does it need to be filtered? how would residue from an unfiltered organic Apple Cider effect the end product?
Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 8:36 AM

Irish Cream
1 cup liquor (whiskey)
1 can (14oz) condensed milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp chocolate syrup
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract

Combine all ingredients in blender; blend till smooth. Keeps a month in the fridge. Best if allowed to set for a week for flavors to combine
Old 11-02-2013, 8:49 AM

This was my Grandmothers recipe, that she put in a 1962 cookbook put together by the Carpenters Union Lady Auxiliary in Roseville. I spent many an hour learning to cook with her. She was a crackshot with her Stevens .410 too.

Holiday Banana Bread

1-3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
2-3/4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1/3 c shortening
2/3 cup sugar
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
1 cup mixed candied fruit
¼ cup raisins

Sift together the flour, backing powder, and salt.
Add nuts; blend and combine thoroughly.

Place shortening in a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until creamy, about 300 strokes by hand. Gradually add sugar to shortening, beating until light and fluffy after each addition. Add eggs and beat until thick and pale lemon in color. Add flour mixture and bananas alternately. Blend thoroughly after each addition. Fold in fruits, peels, and raisins.

Grease bottom only (not sides) of a loaf pan. Bake in a moderate oven 350F 60-70 minutes or until done. Makes one loaf.

Anna Hendxxx

Recipe from Pg.5 of “Lets Cook”, a 1962 compilation of recipes
Carpenters Ladies Aux #338
Roseville, Ca
Old 11-03-2013, 7:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Oh, My: I have lots of wide mouth Mason jars begging to be filled with this.

questions: does it have to be fresh Apple Cider? does it need to be filtered? how would residue from an unfiltered organic Apple Cider effect the end product?
Does it have to be fresh? Nope. I like to filter (pour through a sieve/strainer) into the jars because I like my stuff to be clean/ like colored water. But that does not happen when you drop a cinnamon stick into each jar and it sits for a few weeks.

The orignal recipe from Goodoleways.com just says to use apple cider and apple juice from the stores.

The stuff that I used was to the best of my knowledge, organic apple cider, they do not do a lot to it in Oak Glen. My cider came from Los Rios and from Snowline which is over in Oak Glen by Banning/Beaumont area.

I just saw that Trader Joes also has some spiced cider, I thought I might give it a try too and whip up a half batch.

I think, in the end the Alcohol kills most anything that might be bad so any organic residue not sure what that is but hey, any worries, once you boil it, just pour it through a sieve, the finer the mesh the better you are, else just expect some sediment on the bottom. No biggies though from what I can tell.

Old 11-03-2013, 7:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default So I was hunting the Elusive Oreo Brownie yesterday...

I had NEVER seen any Oreo Brownies until my trip to a gas station in Lake Havasu City and one day I just happened to walk by them and notice that they were there on the shelf. Oreo Creme Filled Brownies... I have not seen them in the stores around here and I wanted to try one.

SO, yesterday I went back and bought 4 of them...

This morning I went looking to see where I could get more of them.
I happened upon this. I thought, hmmm. This could be nice.

http://whatsgabycooking.com/slutty-brownies/

Enjoy.