Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 12-25-2017, 3:17 PM

Default Milestone Birthday coming up - ideas?

FOLKS, THIS THREAD IS IN THE WOMEN'S FORUM. For those of you who routinely pick up random discussions from the "new topics list" and the "OT" fans, we do NOT welcome snarky remarks about women shooters here, so please knock it off. We are not amused... The Women's Forum has RULES. (see sticky at the top of the Forum).

So, friends, I have a milestone birthday coming up in the spring. I'm gonna be 70, and at this age you can't count on having that many more "decade birthdays". I probably will, but don't want to assume. So, I'm prepared to make a big damned deal out of it, not just go to dinner with friends, buy a new handgun, etc.

But I'm kinda stumped on what to do, that a 70 year old can actually do. (Not "to climb El Capitan", for instance). I guess I could go to Paris for a week, fly to Rio, etc. But nothing is truly ringing my chimes. Everything I've thought of so far, I have already done, seems boring (like a cruise) or costs $20,000.

So, ideas please? What would be the event of a lifetime, memorable for at least 20 years? Doesn't have to be gun related, but that would be ok. What would YOU do, either alone or with a friend, to make this birthday be a hallelujah moment ("Whoosh ! I made it !).
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 12-25-2017, 4:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

First of all, happy birthday a little early.

Buy a motorcycle and go across country. You can sell it when you're done and recoup a lot of your investment.

Gun related - Knob Creek? If you want to go to UK or Switzerland, I might be able to arrange for you to attend a 50BMG match.

Look into RIVER cruises. There are some good ones in the US as well as in Europe.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 12-25-2017, 5:11 PM

I suppose it's all a matter of personal preference. In other words, what's really in your heart?

Big trips might include:

-- New York City: live it up with a Broadway show, fancy dinners, and high-end shopping

-- Fiji or Bali: an exotic get-away

-- Grand Teton National Park: breath-taking mountain views

-- Other trip ideas: http://www.travelandleisure.com/slid...anging-trips#3

I don't know...I think, looking back for some, the time spent with friends and loved ones is what would mean the most. So, even a simple dinner celebration with those you care about could linger can the heart and memories for a very long time.

I'm with you, though, I would like to visit Antarctica someday; but, it has a very large price tag!
Old 12-25-2017, 5:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I would go to an out of town shooting tournament and enter. Staying at a 5 star hotel,of course.
Old 12-25-2017, 7:27 PM

Good for you! 70 is a huge milestone! I love the idea of making it special!

Have you tried sky diving, river rafting or balloon rides? For something on the calmer side, what about a spa vacation where you are spoiled & pampered?

For shooting related, how about treating yourself to Front Sight or one of the other excellent schools? I also like Russ69's notion of a shooting tournament. Or a national women's tournament put on by the NRA or A Girl & A Gun?

Whatever you decide, please share!
Old 12-29-2017, 11:56 AM

GoZeroG flight.
Old 12-29-2017, 5:30 PM

Indoor skydive! I did that for my birthday and it was fun.
Old 12-29-2017, 8:22 PM

Two vacations that really stick out in my mind.

1. In 2008 I was able to take a month off of work and ride my motorcycle across the country. It was the best vacation I've ever had. It included Bryce Canyon, Zion, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Badlands, Great Lakes, and Grand Canyon.

2. A few years ago my two sisters and I went to Thailand for a couple of weeks. I think as vacations go it is one of the best kept secrets. I couldn't believe how inexpensive it was. The architecture is stunning. I got to see lots of elephants and temples. The people and the food was awesome!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:32 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

cruise from Nome, AK to Copenhagen, Denmark.
can't find the info but it was about $20k.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 01-01-2018, 12:27 PM

I was shrugging at cruises, mostly thinking about the Caribbean. But NOW I'm seriously considering an Alaska cruise, to see the icebergs before they're all gone...
Old 01-01-2018, 1:36 PM

How about a Great White Shark dive? It's on the wife's and my bucket list. We've dove in Cozumel, Caribbean, Hawaii, SoCal, Fiji and Australia. Seen lots of exotic marine life but not a GW, yet.

You can also do it with out being scuba certified I believe. THe places I have seen advertised are Guadalupe Islands, somewhere near San Fran, Australia and South Africa. I'd vote for Cape Town since my wife hasn't been there yet. Plus you could also do a safari in South Africa.

You might check out National Geographic Travel/Trips. While we haven't done one we've had friends that have done Galapagos Islands and also Safaris through NatGeo. They rave about them.

Oh and Happy Birthday.
Old 01-01-2018, 9:57 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
I was shrugging at cruises, mostly thinking about the Caribbean. But NOW I'm seriously considering an Alaska cruise, to see the icebergs before they're all gone...

the one I mentioned takes a route north of Russia.

there is also a nome to new York via a northwest passage.

also, west coast of Greenland for icebergs....northern Iceland as well.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 01-02-2018, 1:26 PM

My bucket list includes going to Antarctica; but, those cruises are pricey. The least inexpensive options leave from Argentina; but, barely cross the Antarctic Circle and stop at some outer area islands. The more expensive trips are the ones where you can stop and get out and walk around on Antarctica.

I think going on a cruise to Alaska is a great idea as well. I've always wanted to do one of those. It seems like, from San Francisco, there are two options to go either the inner passage or outer passage - I'm not sure which is better. Also, I had a friend who was considering a job offer in Barrow, Alaska. I learned that Barrow is above the Arctic Circle and has the northern most city in the U.S. You can take tours to see polar bears and everything. I guess the polar bears have been known to randomly stroll through town and dig around in the city landfill.

So, if it were me, I'd cruise one-way up to Alaska to see the icebergs and coastal glaciers. Then, I'd get off the ship in Anchorage and make my way up to Barrow before flying all the way home.

Barrow Point, Barrow, AK.
Old 03-09-2018, 8:51 PM

So, lotsa good suggestions on what to give myself for my milestone birthday. My real short list was mostly travel, a week in Paris, a jaunt to Australia or Egypt.

So I sat with myself for days and days saying "Yes, but what do you really WANT??"

God forgive me, I bought myself a huge, shiny new FRENCH DOOR REFRIGERATOR ! Because it's what I really wanted. Go figure. And thanks for all the good suggestions. Maybe for the NEXT milestone....

Last edited by BonnieB; 03-09-2018 at 8:53 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 5:18 PM

I have never been, but everyone who has been to New Zealand comes back very impresssed.