Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-02-2015, 6:56 PM

Hello, I live in Pinole and am on the Board of Directors at the Richmond Rod & Gun Club. I am a law enforcement firearms instructor, and volunteer a few times a year as a coach for NRA Women on Target classes. I'm hosting a pistol course that some of you may be interested in. The instructor is Lou Ann Hamblin of LouKa Tactical.

Survival Pistol for the Female Shooter

Hosted by: Richmond Rod & Gun Club
Training Center Contact: Mary Snider @ lakeriedog@yahoo.com or call (510) 520-3047
Location of Event: Richmond Rod & Gun Club, 3155 Goodrick Ave., Richmond, CA
When: March 9-10, 2015 Time: 0830-1730
Fee: $275.00

Purpose: The purpose of this 2-day class is to improve the female shooting performance as it relates to surviving a lethal encounter. Through intensive range work the female pistol operator will increase her ability to deliver her weapon system efficiently and effectively particularly in the area of shooting with speed. Focus areas include: Threat recognition, one hand and support hand shooting, expeditious stoppage clearing and reloading, pistol ground fighting, target-focused shooting, shooting with movement, individual and team competitions.

Requirements: Attendees are required to bring 400 rounds of standard pistol ammunition, brimmed hat, wrap-around eye protection, ear protection, pistol with three magazines and a holster. ***A water source and simple carbohydrate is highly recommended.

About LouKa Tactical: In business since 1999 it is the largest female owned and operated company of its kind. Co-owner Lou Ann Hamblin retired from law enforcement having served for 22 years. She specializes in training female officers and is a certified firearms and defensive tactics instructor in a variety of disciplines. To date she has trained just over 3200 women in pistol classes nationally. She is a Team One Network adjunct instructor and Master Pistol Instructor. She instructs locally and nationally in the areas of instructor development, training for specialty units and female officer survival to include presentations at the following conferences: Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE), The International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA), The International Police Mountain Bike Association (IPMBA), and The International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI). Lou Ann also serves on the Board of Directors for IALEFI and was named ILEETA's "Iron Cop" for 2009 conference. She currently serves on advisory boards for PoliceOne.com, and is a consultant and former presenter with Calibre Press Women's Street Survival Seminars, of which she co-wrote.
Old 10-30-2016, 8:49 AM

Although no one has posted here for quite a while, I figured I'd still introduce myself. I'm Shilo, pretty much a newbie, bought my first handgun a month ago, trying to get to the range as much as possible. I'm in Vacaville (solano county)
Old 10-30-2016, 9:45 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

hello! seems to be a lot of female calgunners up that way.

btw, what did you buy as your first handgun?
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 10-31-2016, 8:31 AM

I picked up a 9mm M&P shield. Love it so far !
I'm hoping to meet some other ladies nearby who'll want to go to the range from time to time...I hate going alone. Lol
Old 10-31-2016, 8:35 AM

not in your area but BonnieB and some others are in the Sacto area as well.

there are some gun clubs/ranges up that way that have a large female attendance. have you checked into any of those?

no experience with the 9mm M&P Shield. what counts is that YOU love it: congrats on your purchase!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 01-19-2017, 1:57 PM

Default Martinez/Alameda

Live in Martinez but work in Alameda so I normally go to the San Leandro Gun Range after work.
Old 01-19-2017, 2:28 PM

welcome!
Quote:
Old 04-03-2017, 5:45 PM

Live in Pittsburg but work in Livermore. Hope to be able to meet you all and get a chance to shoot together!
Old 04-06-2017, 2:24 PM
C3 Leader

From the date on the last post, this will certainly bump the thread. I've been offline for eons because I got tired of the "drama" some of the other forums had. I've also been busy helping a CCW instructor in Solano County and signing people up for CRPA memberships.

If you haven't guessed it yet, I'm located in Vallejo, Solano County

Hope all of you are well with your shooting adventures!

Liz

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 04-09-2017, 11:25 AM

Hi!
I'm in Vallejo, CA (Solano County) and a newbie to this forum. I have a xd45 (we'll, it's my husbands, but I shoot it more), glock 17, and waiting for this 10 day wait to end to pick up my m&p shield . I usually go to the ranges in Vacaville... I miss twin sisters

Do any of you ladies have a CCW or interested in or are in process? Please let me know of your experience.
Old 06-10-2017, 4:29 PM

Hi! I'm a very new shooter. I have a sig P238 and want to get a Glock 26. I'm in the San Jose area. I've only been to the range (Reed's) a couple of times. I'd love to get my CA CCW, but from everything I hear it's almost impossible in Santa Clara county. Going to the Cow Palace gun show tomorrow to get my Utah CCW which includes about 35 other states. I ride, (motorcycle), out of state a few times a year and would like to have some protection. Would love a shooting buddy or two :-)
Old 06-14-2017, 3:45 PM

Talking San Leandro Gun Club

I will be there around 5 or so with my son he is 6'5 you wont miss him lol.
Old 06-14-2017, 6:11 PM

Hi Genbender69,
Not sure if you were replying to me. I don't get home till 6...lol...Love to meet up sometime tho. Weekends are usually best for me.
Old 06-14-2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbwondertwin View Post
Hi!
I'm in Vallejo, CA (Solano County) and a newbie to this forum. I have a xd45 (we'll, it's my husbands, but I shoot it more), glock 17, and waiting for this 10 day wait to end to pick up my m&p shield . I usually go to the ranges in Vacaville... I miss twin sisters

Do any of you ladies have a CCW or interested in or are in process? Please let me know of your experience.
I'd love to have a CCW, but it's not likely as long as I live in Santa Clara County. I did, however, take the class last weekend to get my Utah permit. It covers about 35 other states also, including Nevada. I ride out of state often and would like to carry. How bout you? Do you have your CCW?
Old 06-27-2017, 9:15 AM

HI all! Checking in from Contra costa county!
Old 07-02-2017, 6:10 PM

Hello, Hayward/Castro Valley here... recently widowed and although I'm not quite a beginner I'm rusty and need to start from the beginning again 😔 I'll be looking into some training, a ton more knowledge and just trying to get out to the range more ❤ thought I'd stop in and say hi 👋
Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 PM

welcome!
rusty isn't a bad place to start from!
Quote:
Old 08-05-2017, 10:58 PM

Hi @sgchick

Yah, I heard coco county is a tough place to obtain a ccw, but I heard that a few have been moved along processed. So, who knows it may be a possibility. I'm currently in the process of obtaining my ccw. I applied online and met with solano county deputy and was approved to move forward with LiveScan. Just waiting on DOJ response. From what I'm hearing some folks are getting a 1 month turnaround, but typically it's 3-6 months wait from LiveScan.
Old 08-06-2017, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Hi @sgchick

Yah, I heard coco county is a tough place to obtain a ccw, but I heard that a few have been moved along processed. So, who knows it may be a possibility. I'm currently in the process of obtaining my ccw. I applied online and met with solano county deputy and was approved to move forward with LiveScan. Just waiting on DOJ response. From what I'm hearing some folks are getting a 1 month turnaround, but typically it's 3-6 months wait from LiveScan.
Good luck with your CCW permit. Please let us know how it goes. :-)
Old 08-15-2017, 4:36 PM

Thumbs up Ccw

Hi!

Applied for ccw in a Solano county, interview approval, LiveScan approval, and now waiting on my training/qualification with my mp shield9. Looking to try out other ccw options, but waiting on purchases to make sure I move along without any hiccups. 2 more steps and (hopefully) I'm done. Just have to complete training and submit certificate and then final review by the Sheriff of app and all submitted info.

There's hope, folks!
Old 08-16-2017, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Hi!

Applied for ccw in a Solano county, interview approval, LiveScan approval, and now waiting on my training/qualification with my mp shield9. Looking to try out other ccw options, but waiting on purchases to make sure I move along without any hiccups. 2 more steps and (hopefully) I'm done. Just have to complete training and submit certificate and then final review by the Sheriff of app and all submitted info.

There's hope, folks!
That's awesome!! Good luck! Not much hope here in Santa Clara County, but I do have my Utah permit which includes many of the surrounding states. I do a lot of riding out of state and like to be able to carry when I do. :-)
Old 08-19-2017, 11:15 PM

Hi I am from the eastbay. I am brand new to shooting. I have been doing a lot of reading and rsearching 9mm semi-autos. I have always been afraid of guns. My son just bought one so there is one in my home and he insists I learn to shoot.
Old 08-20-2017, 6:14 AM

Find a good instructor who understands and can work you through the initial anxiety. And start with a .22 caliber or even a laser pistol, not the 9mm. My teaching partner and I have had good results with an initial class using alternatives to live fire (laser pistol). Fear is based on the unknown. Knowledge and training is the antidote. Good Luck. You can do this.
Old 08-30-2017, 6:09 PM

Hi, everyone! Happy to have found this forum. Last October I took a introductory class in San Rafael with the Women's Shooting Academy. Had a great time and bought my first gun (CZ 75B) a month later. I used to live in San Francisco and go to Reed's to practice. I just moved to Santa Cruz and will keep going to Reed's but also plan to check out Markley's. I'd love to find a shooting buddy to go to either range or to introduce me to someplace new.
Old 09-08-2017, 2:14 PM
C3 Leader

Default Welcome New Ladies!

I hope you're enjoying yourselves on this site & learning lots about firearms

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 09-25-2017, 6:27 PM

Hi!

Just checking in. I finished my ccw training this past weekend, and qualified with a mpshield9, mp 40, and a Walther ppq. Just submitted my Training certificate to Solano county SO, and now waiting on the final review and response. I went through Dave adams at BRC. I loved the class and enjoyed the range time, and am now looking at taking more in depth shooting classes.

Does anyone have any suggestions on classes to take? Hopefully, local areas?
Old 04-11-2020, 7:49 PM

Hello ladies.

Born and raised on the East Coast (Connecticut) I moved out to CA in 2001. Lived in SoCal for 13 years and then moved up to Solano county about 5 years ago.

I try to participate in USPSA matches as often as I can and will use my Springfield XD9. I have two other pistols and have been working on getting the shotgun I want.

Always up to go to the range and I like to promote comfortable situations for other women.

Cheers!
Old 12-11-2020, 9:48 AM
Banned

This site has been SUPER helpful and informative, I appreicate it! Thank you so much!
Old 12-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeniva View Post
This site has been SUPER helpful and informative, I appreicate it! Thank you so much!
Jeniva,

I suggest that you go back to your first post and thank everyone for their help. Yes, there are some who question your motives but you never responded at all and all that did is fuel their frustration with you.

When you pose a question on a forum, it is courteous to respond promptly and not ignore everyone who responded.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 12-15-2020, 2:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
Jeniva,

I suggest that you go back to your first post and thank everyone for their help. Yes, there are some who question your motives but you never responded at all and all that did is fuel their frustration with you.

When you pose a question on a forum, it is courteous to respond promptly and not ignore everyone who responded.
Not all youth is glued to the internet. I have a life, I have a family, I have a job or three sometimes, and I have responsibilities and other interests in life. And referring to the ladies forum, I was hoping to speak with women on this topic but the threads are years old and discouraging.

Aside from the fact that I genuinely was appreciative for the few responses I already have gotten since last week, the fact that you take my post as a negative gesture encourages me to stay out of this particular area of calguns. Thank you for helping me see that.