Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-20-2014, 2:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
Well you have the $200 fee, and the cost of the live scan fingerprinting $25-50 then the cost of the 16 hour training program (hundreds perhaps)

I'd put it at about $400-500 to start and then about $200-$300 every two years thereafter (ballpark)
HUH? The Sheriff can not take more than an app fee prior to application and good cause approval. You do not do finger printing, background check or training until approved for good cause and character.

Here is some reading for you.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/...ntroduced.html
Old 02-20-2014, 2:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

These are what we pay in Lake County

Quote:
Basic Firearms Safety (BFS) Course (2 day course) $100.00
Lake County Office of Education (Fingerprinting - cash only) $20.00
LCSO Permit Fee $6.00
Live Scan Fingerprinting Fee (DOJ/FBI)
Standard CCW (2 year permit) $100.00

Here is the renewal fees

Quote:
Range Fee $25.00
Deputy Fee $25.00
DOJ Renewal Fee $52.00
Admin Permit Fee $6.00
Old 02-20-2014, 2:46 PM
Calguns Addict

AHEM - Just because the "chosen ones" now think they are being forced to allow peasants to APPLY with self-defense as good cause - Doesn't mean those applications are going to get approved.

My guess is:

Not a snowballs chance in hell....
Old 02-20-2014, 2:52 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
HUH? The Sheriff can not take more than an app fee prior to application and good cause approval. You do not do finger printing, background check or training until approved for good cause and character.

Here is some reading for you.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/...ntroduced.html
Yes, I know. I SAID you may get it (and pay for all the fees) only to lose the license in 6 months or a year. The total fees are much more than $100.00 as you indicated.
Old 02-20-2014, 2:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yes, I know. I SAID you may get it (and pay for all the fees) only to lose the license in 6 months or a year. The total fees are much more than $100.00 as you indicated.
I didn't indicate it. I copied and pasted from the Lake County Sheriffs website. total of $226 for everything including the class

http://www.lakesheriff.com/ServicesP...cw/CCWfees.htm

This Sheriff has been issuing for self defense since he got into office.

Last edited by taperxz; 02-20-2014 at 3:01 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 2:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I doubt that would happen but i could see where at renewal time, they could not allow a renewal. I personally think one way or another, this ruling will stand even if it goes to SCOTUS and costs a little more time.

Also remember that Richards is coming out and i bet Richards won't be published until the last day before Gore can ask for en banc.

This way whatever language is in Richards can't be used in en banc for Gore.
Old 02-20-2014, 3:02 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax2525 View Post
Anyone know the general cost to get a CCW, not including the firearm itself?
you can do it for just north of $1k with a used gun.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 02-20-2014, 3:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

From the article:

"Getting a two-year standard concealed weapon permit in California still requires passing a background check and a posting fee of $195.22, and completing 16 hours of class time on carrying and shooting weapons."

State law requires only 4 hours of training.
Old 02-20-2014, 3:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
From the article:

"Getting a two-year standard concealed weapon permit in California still requires passing a background check and a posting fee of $195.22, and completing 16 hours of class time on carrying and shooting weapons."

State law requires only 4 hours of training.

I believe the code allows it to be up to 16 hours.

Sent from my iPhone; pardon any typos.
Old 02-20-2014, 3:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
I believe the code allows it to be up to 16 hours.
Yes, but 4 hours is the minimum requirement. Hence the statement in the article is incorrect.
Old 02-20-2014, 3:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Wow...O.C. sheriff eases rules for carrying a concealed weapon

Quote:
Yes, but 4 hours is the minimum requirement. Hence the statement in the article is incorrect.

I don't have an issue with 16 hours vs. 4 hours. Read some of the "when can I shoot" posts here on CG. Four hours is barely enough time to qualify everyone in a CCW class, much less learning applicable carry laws.

Last edited by Doheny; 02-20-2014 at 3:49 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 3:44 PM

OC require up to 16hr training for first time permit applicants, and minimum 4hr training for renewal applicants. Statement in article is correct.
Old 02-20-2014, 3:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM4A1 View Post
OC require up to 16hr training for first time permit applicants, and minimum 4hr training for renewal applicants. Statement in article is correct.
No, it isn't. The article states that obtaining a LTC in CA requires 16 hours of training. That is not true. The State only requires 4 hours.

I don't have a problem with more training, just stating the article is incorrect.
Old 02-20-2014, 4:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default In OC and looking to apply for LTC

Hey,

Like the sign says.. given the change in policy I want to get the LTC ball rolling. My understanding is that appointments are way in May already anyways.

So, what's the process? Do I have to do the training before setting up the appointment? I guess I'm looking for a "dummies guide to LCW" which is to say a step by step deal.

Any links to that sort of info?

I had a lifescan done to be a foster parent.. I assume I need another one for this.. right?

Any prods in the right direction would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA
Old 02-20-2014, 5:50 PM

Fill out the application, get all the required document and schedule an interview.

Do not do training until you are approved. Typical charge for CCW training in OC is about $200. Don't want to spend that up front with uncertainty.

You will have to do separate live scan for the background check.

So get the ball rolling by fill out application and gather required supportive document first, schedule an interview.

Once you receive the initial approval letter from Sheriff, than you go through the background check and training. You will receive a packet of documents for this purpose.

Once background check comes back and training complete, call and schedule an inspection with Sheriff Armory. They only do CCW inspection on Monday and Tuesday only so make sure to call, and don't call until you have your training completed. Make sure to clean your gun first. Trigger pull needs to be 4lbs or heavier. If your choice of gun is DA/SA, SA needs to be more than 4lbs. OC has a no laser policy so if your gun has laser, remove it and don't put it back. They will need the approval letter, and training certificate. Once certify your gun is in good condition they will fill out the inspection paperwork included in your packet.

Schedule another appointment with OCSD to pick up your permit. Bring the letter, training certificate, weapon certification from armory and appropriate fee in form of a check, do not bring your guns. Your permit will be issued on-site.

As for time line, given the flood gate is now open, no idea on how long that would take, but it used to be about 3 months for initial permit.
Old 02-20-2014, 6:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM4A1 View Post
Once background check comes back and training complete, call and schedule an inspection with Sheriff Armory. They only do CCW inspection on Monday and Tuesday only so make sure to call, and don't call until you have your training completed. Make sure to clean your gun first. Trigger pull needs to be 4lbs or heavier. If your choice of gun is DA/SA, SA needs to be more than 4lbs. OC has a no laser policy so if your gun has laser, remove it and don't put it back. They will need the approval letter, and training certificate. Once certify your gun is in good condition they will fill out the inspection paperwork included in your packet.
Interesting. Where in statute does an armory weapon inspection enter the requirements for a LTC?
Old 02-20-2014, 6:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do you get the application, and list of required paperwork online? At the sheriff's office website?

Thanks for the info..

Quote:
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Old 02-20-2014, 6:42 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Please remember, that OC has said that in the event Peruta is overturned en banc or at SCOTUS they WILL "re-evaluate" your CCW (i.e. take it back) unless you have the magic "good cause". It would be wiser to wait a least until the 30 days elapses for them to make an en banc request. If they do (and I expect them to), then you should really wait until the case is decided by the court first.
Old 02-20-2014, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Do you get the application, and list of required paperwork online? At the sheriff's office website?

Thanks for the info..
Here is the link for everything

http://ocsd.org/about/info/services/ccw
Old 02-20-2014, 6:54 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Interesting. Where in statute does an armory weapon inspection enter the requirements for a LTC?
No place.

As with many other things assorted issuing agencies seem to think good, no PC support for that.

OTOH, for now, they're the only game in town. If you want to play today, today's rules apply. Failing to follow the rules most likely gets the app tossed as 'incomplete'.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-20-2014, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

where did you guys hear that you need 16 hrs training before applying? and what is the process for OC? do I call to set an appt or do I have to show up, THEN fill out an app???
Old 02-20-2014, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

2 years ago, the BREAKDOWN to apply for a CCW in OC:
$95.00- for state fingerprinting processing, FBI fingerprinting, and initial firearm eligibility check.
$100- local fee.
$ ?- there are three OCSD approved CCW trainers. Cost varies, but Ru s about $200.00

So about $395.00

Renewal (generally ever 2 years)
$77.00- $52 goes to the DOJ and $25 goods to local fees.
$? - CCW qualification/class runs about half price. TJ Johnston charged me $100 plus $18.00 for range rental at Evan's.

So about $195.00

There are no fees to have your weapons for inspection by the OCSD Armory. They do recommend taking the CCW class AFTER you are conditionally approved.
Old 02-20-2014, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
where did you guys hear that you need 16 hrs training before applying? and what is the process for OC? do I call to set an appt or do I have to show up, THEN fill out an app???

Call and set up the appointment.

Bring the completed app with supporting docs as stated on the website to the appointment.

They'll tell you what trainers are approved. They prefer/encourage you to take the training after you're approved.

Old 02-20-2014, 7:40 PM

Everyone's question are all answered in on place. The OCSD website:

http://ocsd.org/about/info/services/ccw

It is very thorough and has all the answers.

I had my interview last month and I have not had to pay any fees yet. The only expense I have had is the passport photos.
Old 02-20-2014, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Call and set up the appointment.

Bring the completed app with supporting docs as stated on the website to the appointment.

They'll tell you what trainers are approved. They prefer/encourage you to take the training after you're approved.

roger, thanks for the info

edit: on the checklist what do they mean by 2 passport photos? there is only one photo on a passport.

Last edited by luckystrike; 02-20-2014 at 7:59 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 8:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So can I make the appointment now and then get the form filled out (need to double check on traffic citations)?

Seems reasonable considering the appointments are months out from now.

Thanks for the answers.. I guess under the reason part you can now just put "self defense".. right?

Quote:
Old 02-20-2014, 8:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
roger, thanks for the info

edit: on the checklist what do they mean by 2 passport photos? there is only one photo on a passport.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=13488394

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-20-2014, 9:23 PM
Banned

Move! Just move to a FREE state and let the wussified metrosexuals and leftists have this crappy state.
Old 02-20-2014, 9:31 PM

I contacted Melissa via email since her VM was full. Looking forward to finally applying after years of waiting. I'm optimistic but cautious as well in my thinking.
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 02-20-2014, 9:57 PM

Might be a bit premature, but this is interesting.....

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1.../p2p-79389885/

Might still be better until the appeals processes have run their course to keep from being revoked down the line....
Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
So can I make the appointment now and then get the form filled out (need to double check on traffic citations)?

Seems reasonable considering the appointments are months out from now.

Thanks for the answers.. I guess under the reason part you can now just put "self defense".. right?
Since the appointment will be much later (May or even June by now), you can make appointment first than fill out the application and collect all required supporting documents while waiting.

Suppose protection for self and others would fly now, but doesn't hurt if you have other better "good cause" that can be tossed into the mix, just in case the Peruta case is appealed or go en banc.

Frankly, I hear what CAL.BAR says. On the other hand, by the time your appointment is up, Peruta case would either settle down or move on. You can decide if you still want to move forward at that point. Doesn't hurt to get yourself in line at this point.
Old 02-21-2014, 4:34 AM

I got an email back from Melissa last night after 11pm.

Latest availability is mid July. Wow
Old 02-21-2014, 5:48 AM

Got the same email after 11:00 pm last night. July 2 appointment! Melissa is one busy lady!
Old 02-21-2014, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyj View Post
Got the same email after 11:00 pm last night. July 2 appointment! Melissa is one busy lady!
We should send her a Calguns gift basket for all her hard work

MC Operator, G19, AR-15, Rem. 870, Mosin M44
Old 02-21-2014, 7:08 AM
Veteran Member

As someone who has a CCW I'd like to encourage everyone to apply.

I am NO ONE SPECIAL. I don't know powerful nor influential people. I don't make political donation...damn I hate the Republican or Demicratic party in CA depending on the day.

My completed application sat on my desk for over a year. I was apprehensive and feared being denied...more importantly that being denied would negatively affect my chances for future applications. Add that to the rumor mill, the sunshine initiative, and the infamous "IN TWO WEEKS" it took me a year to apply.

Why I took the dive into the abyss?

NOT APPLYING FOR FEAR OF BEING DENIED IS IN EFFECT A DENIAL.

Most, if not all the fees, is incurred only after you are conditionally approved. The fees are high, but is it higher than the value you put on your life or the lives of your love ones? This question is debatable and varies.

Why I applied knowing the odds were against me? I would gladly pay $500 (my estimate the first time I applied) to give the government the middle finger (ie your pony act will not discourage me) and my life is worth that (some would disagree ).

APPLY...I know this much.. I would rather apply NOW than at the time I applied.

Good Luck.

Last edited by viet4lifeOC; 02-21-2014 at 7:11 AM..
Old 02-21-2014, 8:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

First things first... get an appointment. I emailed at 3:15 on 2/20/14 and my initial-do-you-have-all-your-paperwork-and-forms-filled-out correctly appointment is July 8!!!

With 4 months to sit and ponder, I've got all the time in the world before I need to worry about Good Cause (which I have). And if they decide I need squirrel DNA to get a CCW I can just decide not to apply.

So I would definitely get the appointment first and then ask your questions.

Quote:
We know it's the family and the church not government officials who know best how to create strong and loving communities. And above all else we know this, in America, we don't worship government, we worship God.
President Donald J. Trump, Oct. 13, 2017
Old 02-21-2014, 8:56 AM

Where is this "Melissa's" email address?
I keep attempting to call the provided numbers but they are getting forward to full mailboxes.
Old 02-21-2014, 9:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What about 'em?

Because this is the person who took back CCW's issued by the previous OC Sheriff. What stops her from changing her mind?

I found this quote on another thread about this matter:

"Please remember, that OC has said that in the event Peruta is overturned en banc or at SCOTUS they WILL "re-evaluate" your CCW (i.e. take it back) unless you have the magic "good cause". It would be wiser to wait a least until the 30 days elapses for them to make an en banc request. If they do (and I expect them to), then you should really wait until the case is decided by the court first."

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 02-21-2014, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey9mm View Post
Where is this "Melissa's" email address?
I keep attempting to call the provided numbers but they are getting forward to full mailboxes.
Msoto@ocsd.org
Old 02-21-2014, 9:27 AM

Default Orange County CCW Department Overwhelmed

So I tried calling the CCW department to get an appointment, and for a second day in a row the telephone numbers at 714-834-5502 and 714-834-5378 were not answering and their mailboxes were full. It seems like interest is overwhelming them.

In case anyone else wants to get an appointment I recommend calling the Sherriff's General Line (714-834-5100) directly and they will take down your info and will get back to you. No ETA or anything like that, just a promise to get back to you someday!