Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-07-2010, 7:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Default iPhone for Verizon - actual concrete 'rumors'

I love technology rumors, especially those related to phones, even more so when it involves Apple.

If you follow said rumors on this topic, you have followed the years old ongoing debate as to whether Verizon will ever get an iPhone. Yes/no/yes/no.... Invariably, the conversation comes up about (1) Verizon turned it down the first time around so it's not going to come around (2) the iPhone is a GMS and Verizon is a CDMA network (3) AT&T has it locked down, but until when was always the unknown.

So, the most recent news, as of today... Exclusive: Qualcomm to Power iPhone - read the story and you will see how this fact plays into maybe the rumor of Verizon FINALLY getting an iPhone being true. I have read and commented on these rumors for years. I even had a conversation last year with a guy who said his brother works for Apple and they were in San Diego testing an VZW iPhone. All unproven talk and rumors. But with the news today - Qualcomm, a San Diego based company - and Apple in bed together.. hmmmm

In a short and sweet synopsis, "Apple (AAPL Quote) has chosen Qualcomm as its chip supplier for the new version of the iPhone headed to Verizon (VZ Quote) this summer, according to Northeast Securities analyst Ashok Kumar" and "Apple elected to go with Qualcomm in its Verizon iPhone, which is expected to arrive soon after AT&T's (T Quote) exclusive contract with Apple expires in June."
Old 01-07-2010, 1:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
I love technology rumors, especially those related to phones, even more so when it involves Apple.

If you follow said rumors on this topic, you have followed the years old ongoing debate as to whether Verizon will ever get an iPhone. Yes/no/yes/no.... Invariably, the conversation comes up about (1) Verizon turned it down the first time around so it's not going to come around (2) the iPhone is a GMS and Verizon is a CDMA network (3) AT&T has it locked down, but until when was always the unknown.

So, the most recent news, as of today... Exclusive: Qualcomm to Power iPhone - read the story and you will see how this fact plays into maybe the rumor of Verizon FINALLY getting an iPhone being true. I have read and commented on these rumors for years. I even had a conversation last year with a guy who said his brother works for Apple and they were in San Diego testing an VZW iPhone. All unproven talk and rumors. But with the news today - Qualcomm, a San Diego based company - and Apple in bed together.. hmmmm

In a short and sweet synopsis, "Apple (AAPL Quote) has chosen Qualcomm as its chip supplier for the new version of the iPhone headed to Verizon (VZ Quote) this summer, according to Northeast Securities analyst Ashok Kumar" and "Apple elected to go with Qualcomm in its Verizon iPhone, which is expected to arrive soon after AT&T's (T Quote) exclusive contract with Apple expires in June."
I think the term "concrete rumors" is a bit of a contradiction, but I'll bite.

I've worked in the wireless industry for nearly a decade. My current position requires me to understand current and future trends. And I would be very surprised to NOT see the iPhone on the VZW network this summer.

I have heard nothing concrete because, if there is any concrete info, it is protected by NDA's. I have heard numerous rumors and speculation by various people "in the know", but again, nothing concrete.

With that said, the recent launch of Android 2.0 (2.1 will be officially released in a couple weeks), along with webOS, I believe a sizable chunk is being taken from the market share that Apple has enjoyed.

Couple the latest competition along with AT&T's network woes and you have a recipe for disaster if Apple doesn't change the game, so to speak.

Don't get me wrong. The iPhone is a phenomenal device. Their cutting edge OS and device integration has revolutionized the wireless industry. Apple has been known to innovate and I expect nothing less from them moving forward. It's just my opinion that their exclusive deal with AT&T has more than run its course and its time to move on.

All of this competition and innovation is great for the consumer and we definitely live in interesting times. I recall the first color screen phone and thinking how cool that was. I can only imagine what is in store for us in the next 5-10 years.

Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 01-07-2010, 1:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomIsNotFree View Post
I think the term "concrete rumors" is a bit of a contradiction, but I'll bite.
had to think of something juicy to entice people in
Old 01-07-2010, 6:27 PM

Meh, screw the iPhone. I'm waiting for the true successor to the G1. I need a physical keyboard on my smartphone.
Old 01-07-2010, 6:41 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomIsNotFree View Post
"concrete rumors"
I have heard from a reliable source (Steve jobs hair stylist's brother's veterinarian) that this is all a big secret

FWIW, 3G UMTS is WCDMA, not TDMA... a LTE iPhone could be tough to keep on just one network

having been in the wireless industry for 2 decades, i can tell you that ma bell will use every trick in the book to keep the iPhone out of the hands of Lowell McAdam hands

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 01-07-2010, 6:45 PM

Like all things...I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 01-07-2010, 8:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'll believe this when it becomes available.

WTB the following - in San Diego
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.
Old 01-09-2010, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

too many insider quotes, confirmed related quotes, reported patents, new found designs out of Asia for a smaller iPhone design, the Qualcomm chip, AT&T just announcing they would be bringing competitor WebOS apps (Palm) to its network and launching 5 new Android phones - why if still in bed with iPhone, IMHO, it to not happen. I am willing to bet this phone is already made and working fine with VZW.

but it seems the biggest hurdle - so it's rumored - might be pricing disagreements (i.e., iPhone profit per phone is reportedly cut if VZW gets it), not the existence of the phone, I personally think we are well past that assumption. It's coming down to dollars and cents I bet.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:52 AM

I want the google phone instead.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Calguns Addict

plus this is a GREAT comparison cart of the real players here

Last edited by glock_this; 01-11-2010 at 12:31 PM..
Old 01-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Not a rumor, but a fact.

(dunno how i know..... )

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 01-13-2010, 12:38 AM

The iPhone going to VZ is pretty much a given. No insider information necessary to come to that conclusion.

I think anybody who's been paying attention for the last year or so has realized that both Apple and AT&T shot themselves in the foot big time with that exclusive contract. The overload on AT&T's network has damaged the image of both parties. I can't tell you the number of people i know who have ditched the iPhone in favor of the blackberry or some other smart phone in the last 6 months over the poor quality of service on At&T's network.

If i've noticed it - i'm SURE apple has noticed it, and is doing everything they can to try and bring those people back into the fold. Devices like the iPhone and the iPod are Apple's bread and butter. The iPod market is pretty much tapped out at this point, so if they're going to keep bringing in profits - they need a new pony. That's the only reason why they got into the phone business to begin with.
Old 01-13-2010, 7:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinixstar View Post
The iPhone going to VZ is pretty much a given. No insider information necessary to come to that conclusion.
only because of recent info.. in the last 1-2 months or so

unless somehow you knew something millions of others, and technology pundits, have been speculating, rumoring, blogging about for years.

it's really only recent informaiton that really make it seems legit. so, easy to say now.. was not easy to say 3-4 months ago.
Old 01-13-2010, 8:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Meh, screw the iPhone. I'm waiting for the true successor to the G1. I need a physical keyboard on my smartphone.
What do you mean waiting? The Motorola Droid has a physical keyboard and has been out for a month or so.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 01-13-2010, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
What do you mean waiting? The Motorola Droid has a physical keyboard and has been out for a month or so.

Doesn't use T-Mobile 3g bands.
Old 01-13-2010, 7:36 PM
Calguns Addict

I heard it directly from an apple exec VP....verizon will have an iphone by august due to poor customer service at ATT.
Old 01-13-2010, 7:43 PM

I can't wait, I've had Verizon for over 10 years and loved it, just switched to ATT, the wife wanted an iphone, ATT coverage sucks,
I'd gladly break the contract to return to Verizon
Old 01-13-2010, 8:46 PM

who cares about the iphone, I have the motorola droid!
Old 01-13-2010, 8:59 PM

I was looking at the droid really hard but you HAVE to have a blackberry plan. If I can keep my plan now and just add the iPhone in a few months I'd be down for that.

Honestly, the DARE does me just fine. I really don't need much more. Only appeal of the iPhone is everyone targets that audience and the Dare never came close to competing with the iPhone like I thought it would.
Old 01-13-2010, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Doesn't use T-Mobile 3g bands.
The Google/HTC Nexus is the solution to your problem.
Old 01-13-2010, 9:44 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Talking

I too have been in Wireless for, um, too long. Our test equipment (designed by the company I work for - most of the hardware by me!!) provides those maps. (And yes I worked on AMPS,NAMPS, IS-54, IS-136 before GSM).

I've not heard any rumors, but the most impressive thing I've seen in 5 years is that Google is in the phone OS business. Slightly OT, but the newer Verizon phones are using it.

LTE is just that "LONG Term Evolution". We call it VLTE at work - VERY long term evolution. No matter what you hear - don't expect it soon in an area near you. Yes - a few goobs will post that - yes we have LTE running in this market or that.

Apple is smart and agressive. I was always surprised they teamed up with AT&T. I love GSM since I cut my teeth on it in the early 1990's. But you have to admit Verizon has done a great job of making their network seamless.

So - no concrete info, it's just logical - Apple is not going to allow Google to take over Verizon phones w/o a fight - forget coverage - it's about OS control in phones, methinks...

Last edited by orangeusa; 01-13-2010 at 9:50 PM..
Old 01-13-2010, 9:52 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
LTE is just that "LONG Term Evolution". We call it VLTE at work - VERY long term evolution. No matter what you hear - don't expect it soon in an area near you. Yes - a few goobs will post that - yes we have LTE running in this market or that.
IDK what carrier you work for but LTE is a lot closer than you might think

Old 01-13-2010, 10:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

AMPS/NAMPS... Wow. That brings back memories of my GTE Mobilnet days. Still have a couple mugs somewhere.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

I wore a PBMS shirt to work today LOL

Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I can't wait... I'm tired of bashing on the iPhone because I'm a verizon fanboy...

No phone could ever make me own an AT&T phone. I've seen the horrors! (note, why are there so many of us with years and years of experience in wireless???)
Old 01-14-2010, 8:16 AM
Calguns Addict

the most recent VZW iPhone rumors on potential features for a VZW model:

-a 5 megapixel camera with LED flash
-possibly an OLED screen Organic light-emitting diode
-the much wanted removable battery
-a possible front facing video camera for video conferencing/chat
-longer battery life
-improved processor via dual-core processors (Cortex-A9 processor design from ARM capable of breaking the 2GHz barrier)
-more powerful graphics capabilities

possible April release date, June for the masses

speculation of course..

Last edited by glock_this; 01-14-2010 at 8:20 AM..
Old 01-14-2010, 11:59 AM

im not a new age wireless phone fan but I know alot of people that hate at&t but only stay there cause the iphone
Old 01-14-2010, 2:21 PM

I'd LOVE an April release date. Easy birthday gift.
Old 01-14-2010, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
The Google/HTC Nexus is the solution to your problem.
However, that lacks a physical keyboard.
Old 01-18-2010, 2:48 PM
Veteran Member

I guess I'm a total weirdo. My wife and I absolutely LOVE our iPhones and we don't have any problems with AT&T service. Granted I don't call customer service pretty much ever and the service is expensive, but we can't live without our iPhones now.
Old 01-18-2010, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox X View Post
I guess I'm a total weirdo. My wife and I absolutely LOVE our iPhones and we don't have any problems with AT&T service. Granted I don't call customer service pretty much ever and the service is expensive, but we can't live without our iPhones now.
Same here. Haven't had any problems with the iPhone or AT&T.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 01-18-2010, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

Steve called me and told me soon or later CDMA!
Old 01-18-2010, 8:58 PM

I've just found a place in the world where I DON'T get Verizon service. I'm wondering if the iPhone would fix this.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Analyst Predicts Verizon iPhone Announcement Next Week

read here
Old 01-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Analyst Predicts Verizon iPhone Announcement Next Week

read here
Not sure about that. I believe such an announcement would most likely violate the Apple/AT&T contract.

What we are more likely to hear is something along the lines of this...

TheStreet.com: Apple tablet headed to Verizon?

Armed with information from Northeast Securities analyst Ashok Kumar, TheStreet.com has boldly declared that the yet-to-be-announced Apple tablet will be headed to America’s largest carrier, Verizon Wireless. The report claims that in selecting Qualcomm as one of the tablet’s chip manufacturers Apple has unintentionally confirmed that tablet will be dancing, possibly exclusively, with Big Red. Analysts estimate that Verizon will subsidize about $200 of the Tablet’s price and require a two-year data service plan of around $60 a month. Apple is expected to sell the iTablet for around $800 without a subsidy. It also may come with some sort of “dock” that will provide physical keyboard connectivity and charging.

Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 01-21-2010, 7:14 AM
Calguns Addict

oh yeah.. I think the tablet announcement is a forgone conclusion.. so much so, I did not talk about it here but hey, I am excited by that as well don't get me wrong. But I have 4 computers of theirs.. and no phone of theirs
Old 01-21-2010, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

The "rumored" new look for the VZW model

Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The "rumored" new look for the VZW model

12GB's? Not sure about that one.

Old 01-22-2010, 1:50 AM

I'm hoping that phone comes over. I'd be so excited. Looks coolerthan the standard one. Just hope they have a case for it like my DARE.
Old 01-22-2010, 2:55 AM
Veteran Member

For those of you who have iphones and love the ATT service, I noticed you were in citites OTHER than San Fran.

The people having problems with ATT service are typically in the big metro areas, SF, NY etc. It's in that area than with the amount of iphone users (especially if they are using their iphones for web browsing, etc) are taking up much of the bandwidth and hence causing the overtaxed ATT service to be really crappy for everyone in general.

Both my wife and I have iphones and we live in SF. The reception on the iphones are the worst I've ever had on any phone I've ever had going back to the days when I carried a phone the size of a brick. There have been times I have been following the wife on the 101 freeway 8 miles south of SF and I can reach her cause both of our phones have no signal.

For calls, I usually just use my work blackberry.

I can't wait for the Google phone. I'm so ready to drop the iphone due to the poor ATT service.