Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 10-14-2018, 5:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Some instructional videos from Direct Action Group....including position SUL

Looking to improve your tactical awareness and training level? Consider Direct Action Group / TFTT training out at Burro Canyon Shooting park in Southern California and at Sacramento Valley Shooting Center in Northern California. (Disclosure: I am just a student impressed with the quality and level of education I have received and want to share the experience)

http://dag-usa.com/

These guys are a legit tactical school. Founder /primary instructor has had a contract for many years with the US Department of State ATA (Anti Terrorist Assistance Program) to travel to foreign allies and teach tactics within its CRT (Crisis Response Team) training program to foreign / allied military and LE units.

Instructor bio's / creds: http://dag-usa.com/intel-2/cadre/

He also does a lot of DoD work (US Army and Navy) as an outside tactical training contractor / adviser in addition to teaching at the California Highway Patrol Academy in the recent past.

Very VERY safe, up to date tactical training here in the LA area for civilians. Their tactical handgun series ( I/ II/ III) are being offered in November.
http://dag-usa.com/training-calendar/

Facebook page and reviews.... https://www.facebook.com/pg/tfttdag/...=page_internal

Some videos produced by Direct Action Group that will give you a idea of the type / style of training....

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Five stages of Escalation:

Position Sul (Developed by Max Joseph and Alan Brosnan):

Engagement / post engagement procedure:

Breaking glass....

CQB montage.......

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 10-25-2018 at 7:35 PM..
Old 10-16-2018, 6:55 PM

OC,
I was looking at there classes definitely looks legit. I was really thinking about it but I saw there FAQ. I’m overweight and out of shape so I guess there classes are to tactical for me. But maybe next time they offer them I’ll be a bit more prepared.
Old 10-17-2018, 2:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erobot02 View Post
OC,
I was looking at there their classes definitely looks legit. I was really thinking about it but I saw there their FAQ. I’m overweight and out of shape so I guess there their classes are to too tactical for me. But maybe next time they offer them I’ll be a bit more prepared.
(FIFY) Awe... that's too bad. Safety moving around with a loaded gun in your hands in close proximity to others does require a little athleticism. NO, the casses are not too tactical for you, but maybe a gym membership instead of tactical classes might be more in order... A review of your activity in Calguns since July 2016 says it all.... https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...rchid=78073794

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 10-19-2018 at 8:07 AM..
Old 10-17-2018, 4:30 AM
Veteran Member

if they are "Very VERY safe", kinda curious why they require body armor for their civilian courses. Another revenue stream by renting it?
Old 10-17-2018, 5:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
if they are "Very VERY safe", kinda curious why they require body armor for their civilian courses. Another revenue stream by renting it?
- So if its very VERY safe, you are suppose to "prove it" by being imprudent? Clearly you do not subscribe to Murphy's Law...or Pres. Ronald Reagan's principle of "trust but verify"!

- Body armor is a "industry wide professional standard" with all military and LEO training. Like a seat belt, if its available, why would you NOT wear it? Dynamic / tactical weapons training is inherently more dangerous than riding in a car.

- The "civilian classes" are nothing more than the Mil/LE classes opened up /offered to include motivated civilians.

- Once you are off a static square range and into a dynamic tactical training environment with movement, ballistic shoot house structure clearing, vehicle drills etc..., particularly in a two man team or larger element, it should be mandatory in ALL schools. (see last two videos)

- Being primarily a military / LE tactical school, you train the way you will fight...weapons and kit. Civilians allowed to come out and train are required meet that same Mil/LE standard. When I took the rifle class I wore plates, handgun classes, soft armor only.

- From what I could see, most students bring their own armor. Soft armor rents for $10 a day.. hardly a "revenue stream".

Going to MOST public ranges and some shooting competitions, I many times wished I had armor on.

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 10-19-2018 at 8:10 AM..
Old 10-18-2018, 7:53 PM

Haha... good point. Yea I'm more of a lurk around here then a contributor. Maybe I'll try to be more active in life and in calguns.
Old 10-19-2018, 6:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Haha... good point. Yea I'm more of a lurk around here then a contributor. Maybe I'll try to be more active in life and in calguns.
By being less active in Calguns aren't you by default more active in life?
Old 10-19-2018, 11:11 PM

If you're in Socal, Aaron Barruga/Guerrilla Approach offers great training. He's a legit 18 series SF dude that is not only a great shooter but a great teacher as well.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooYah View Post
If you're in Socal, Aaron Barruga/Guerrilla Approach offers great training. He's a legit 18 series SF dude that is not only a great shooter but a great teacher as well.

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 10-19-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post

That was the first thing that came to mind when watching that opening scene
Old 10-20-2018, 4:10 AM
Banned

Just fyi that Aaron moved to Virginia a little ways back so if you want to train with him, you'll have to catch him when he's traveling
Old 10-20-2018, 9:47 AM

Quote:
OC,
I was looking at there classes definitely looks legit. I was really thinking about it but I saw there FAQ. I’m overweight and out of shape so I guess there classes are to tactical for me. But maybe next time they offer them I’ll be a bit more prepared.
I've checked out some training that's offered that is beyond what I want to do physically at a training class. My knees aren't real good and I'm 65. I shoot a lot of USPSA so I'm used to moving around, leaning, squatting and occasionally taking a knee or going prone. But a couple of days running around and rolling in the dirt all day, trying to pop right up is too much for me.

The last class I took was an advanced shooting 3 day class, not tactical. There was myself, one other older guy and a young guy who takes a lot of shooting classes. The rest were all LEO, swat or military. There was a little running around to get your heart rate up a bit and some shooting while moving. Long days but not too much for me. It was challenging and fun.
Old 10-20-2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Just fyi that Aaron moved to Virginia a little ways back so if you want to train with him, you'll have to catch him when he's traveling
Ah I didn't know he moved back east. All the good training is either in VA or NC.

Aside from a few legit dudes like Uncle Scotty and Max from DAG, it seems like any swinging dick can be a "trainer" in CA nowadays. Some of the classes being posted in the Training Class Announcements subforum are downright scary. Dudes with zero verifiable background are teaching "advanced CQB tactics".
Old 10-20-2018, 4:30 PM
Banned

Dunning–Kruger is a thing, for sure. Lol.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
LMAO.. thanks to Youtube..Dunning-Kruger is the new reality

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 11-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
For those that dont know what Dunning-Kruger is.....

"In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markmur.../#69fa0b0c5d7c

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 12-09-2018, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
For those that dont know what Dunning-Kruger is.....

"In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is."

Oh my... Lots of that here in Calguns?

_