Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-07-2013, 6:16 PM

Default Want some insight for a bird gun...

I want a shotgun. I want to hunt birds. But don't want a o/u. And budget is about 550. So mossberg 500 or benelli nova. Or should I consider a o/u. Positive comments appreciated.
Old 01-07-2013, 6:32 PM

A Rem 870 Wingmaster would work just great. You cam also pick up a Win Model 12 for around that, maybe a little more.

What type of birds will suggest the gauge. 12ga for ducks and Pheasants and larger birds, 20ga for quail, dove, upland game.

Personally, I use a 20ga for everything... Ducks included. Just match the load to the game. Ducks, 3" Bismuth #4, Chukar 3" copper plated lead #5. Quail, dove, 2 3/4" #7 1/2.
Old 01-07-2013, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

It'll also get you a really nice used Ithaca 37!

I have a nova, it's on the heavy side and I'd prefer to not carry it around while walking up upland game. I like it just fine for shooting ducks though.

Upland game gets my Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge.

Anyway, yeah, what kind of birds?
Old 01-07-2013, 7:27 PM

I was thinkin an all around birdgun duck, chukar, quail occasional turkey so nova too heavy wingmaster is pretty sweet but ill look at the ithaca 37 thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 7:42 PM

i use a Remington 1100 semi in 20g. mostly for quail pheasant and chukars. it has a improved cylnder, so i'm out on turkey and ducks.
i wouldn't be affraid to look for something used. less money and you won't be affraid of getting it dirty. my 1100 is from the mid 70s light wieght and still knocking birds out the sky.
Old 01-07-2013, 8:00 PM

I realize you are looking for one gun for all. But consider this. Ducks require a magnum gun and because of that will have a larger frame? You will be shooting non toxic shot and will require to get it out fast and straight. That will require that big gun.
Chukar, quail, and dove don't require a magnum type gun. So smaller gauge guns that shoot lighter lead loads is required. So smaller frame guns work fine. Also consider that when shooting upland birds you will be walking long distance for most them birds. Check the weight of a magnum gun after a days walking For ducks you'll be sitting in a blind
I shoot 16 gauge and have taken ducks quail and grouse. But that was before non toxic shot. Now I use a magnum for ducks and the 16 for all else.
Old 01-07-2013, 8:31 PM

Find yourself a nice used 16ga pump gun (Win M12 or Itica37) with a mod choke for all your upland game. You can buy non-tox shot (bismuth, etc.) and use it for waterfowl too. Or, diversify and buy the 16ga for your upland hunting and a 12ga with screw-in chokes for the big steel loads for waterfowl.

I have a couple 16's (Win M12 & Verona O/U) both are great guns, but that M12 is just soooo nice. Light, slick action, and points like a wand! I also have a Wingmaster in 12ga that has a slick action and points really well too!

There are some great used guns out there in your price range. All 3 of mine were.
Old 01-07-2013, 8:50 PM

If you haven't tried an O/U, SxS, pump and auto loader then you owe it to yourself to try them all. Any one of the 4 makes a marvelous upland bird gun, in the right gauge and weight. A right pump or auto loader is probably the best "do-it-all" gun, if it has removable chokes.

With a budget of $550 however, you're probably looking at a pump or a used auto loader. You can't go wrong with an older 870, preferably with the magnum receiver, if you can find one. Nothing wrong will a used Rem 1100, 58 or 48 either. The 1100's are the better guns but the 58's and 48's can be had pretty cheaply (I recently got a Rem 58 for $415, delivered. I have an 03 FFL.) and from experience, the 58 points like it's part of my arm.

Were I you, I'd find the shotgun that fills the bill for you then figure out how to pay for it or get it used. Shotguns, like any good tool, will always serve you the best and the longest if you get the best you can afford.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale

If you haven't tried an O/U, SxS, pump and auto loader then you owe it to yourself to try them all. Any one of the 4 makes a marvelous upland bird gun, in the right gauge and weight. A right pump or auto loader is probably the best "do-it-all" gun, if it has removable chokes.

With a budget of $550 however, you're probably looking at a pump or a used auto loader. You can't go wrong with an older 870, preferably with the magnum receiver, if you can find one. Nothing wrong will a used Rem 1100, 58 or 48 either. The 1100's are the better guns but the 58's and 48's can be had pretty cheaply (I recently got a Rem 58 for $415, delivered. I have an 03 FFL.) and from experience, the 58 points like it's part of my arm.

Were I you, I'd find the shotgun that fills the bill for you then figure out how to pay for it or get it used. Shotguns, like any good tool, will always serve you the best and the longest if you get the best you can afford.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale

Go with a Remington 870 I have 3 love them all and you can get them from Big Five even better. I think they go for about $330 and my left hand 870 was about $500.
Old 01-07-2013, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Lots of 16 gauge love here!
Old 01-17-2013, 7:21 AM

Some posts have mentioned older style shotguns. Some of these like the 11-48 don't do well with steel shot. If you use bismuth or some other soft nontoxic shot you'll find the price may be prohibitive. Stick with a 1960's or newer gun. I'd look for a used 1100 with 28" barrel, removable chokes and chambered for 3" shells.
Old 01-17-2013, 8:00 AM

I'd recommend the O/U, mainly since you also mentioned turkey & goose. You need the 3" 12Ga capacity (minimum) for the big birds. You can change chokes & loads to shoot everything from clays to quail to slugs.

The nice thing about an O/U as an all-around shotgun is you get a long barrel with short overall length. The action itself in a pump or autoloader adds about 6" to the length of the gun. A break-open O/U has basically no action at all. So you get a 28" barrel with an overall length just about 2" longer than a tactical-style shotgun with a 20" bbl.

The long barrel(s) are absolutely necessary for most birds on the wing, and clays as well, for a new shooter. But the short overall length gives you quick handling, easy carrying, fast target acquisition, and even home defense if you need it.

Plus only having 2 shots means you learn to make them count. Put 3 shells in a new hunter's gun and either the first is rushed / wasted, or the 3rd is blown towards a bird's tail in desperation.

O/U for sure. A new Czech or Turkish gun, or a used 'name brand' should be in your price range. Just make sure it has removable choke tubes.

There's a mistaken impression that conservatives don't like the environment. We do, we love the environment. We just call it the outdoors and we go there to kill stuff.
-PJ O'Rourke
Old 01-17-2013, 8:01 AM

double post

There's a mistaken impression that conservatives don't like the environment. We do, we love the environment. We just call it the outdoors and we go there to kill stuff.
-PJ O'Rourke

Last edited by Iskra; 01-17-2013 at 8:04 AM.. Reason: dupe