Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 8:02 AM

Default Recent assessment of San Diego gun shops/ranges

SOCAL GUN clairemont
DGM discount gun mart, Santee
Turner's Kearny Mesa
DGM, Morena
California Police Equipment Mid City
ASC American Shooting Center

The guys in the new SoCal Guns store (same location) were quick to greet, were informative, seemed willing to talk without trying to be pushy or demeaning. **considering for a next purchase. Have purchased ammo & accessories from the old store.

The DGM La Mesa staff, when I went in were also friendly, not pushy, and were nice about fielding questions about the range and rentals. **shot here, have not purchased. Range is great and not too busy.

Turner's is very busy in the last year, and I rarely go in there, but when I do it takes a long time to get someone to assist or answer questions & they seem disturbed at having to talk with customers. **purchased accessories & ammo in the past.

DGM Morena is a place I go to because they have a range, they have decent prices on guns, variety, and knowledgeable staff. But a couple of the guys there are rude. **shot here, and purchased here. The ranges are seldom full, and are clean, electronic pulley system is fast and easy to use.

California Police Equipment has gun prices on the higher end, and their accessories & parts are priced high as well. The location is nearest to my home, so I go there on the return from work just to get an eyeful of guns, or to put hands on something I am interested in. Not rude, not friendly, just present. Management and staff here have high turnover, so I don't expect much when I walk in. ** I have purchased from them in the past, when the Daley's owned it & did private purchases/sales here.

American Shooting Center is the worst!!
This place has a popular range, which equates to high wait times if you get there after open on the weekends, and has terrible customer interaction. I prefer going to DGM morena/la mesa to use their ranges, but ASC is closest to home.
My recent trip into ASC the guys at the sales counter were busy. (they are decent folk on that side of the house.) The range counter was empty so I asked to take a look at a pistol they had, since I am in the market & the sales counter was full & the guy huffed when I asked to take a look at a gun!! (I will not be going in there to spend money again until someone I trust has a favorable report about ASC) **shot here in the past. did my BFSC back when that was required for pistol purchase & had a pistol serviced by their gunsmith.

Last edited by carrywisely_ca; 08-24-2013 at 6:57 PM.. Reason: accuracies in location
Old 08-24-2013, 8:10 AM

Good input, thanks.

SO CAL Guns are the ones that laughed at me for getting an XDm .45 - off-roster - telling me ATF would be visiting me and confiscating my off-roster gun. This is when I went in to cancel an XD .40 order with them - gun was no where in sight, just wanted one.

Anyway...lots of write ups here about them and most people aren't crazy about the "new" opening as well as the way it was before...

Thank you,
Old 08-24-2013, 8:18 AM

Interesting. Thought SoCal guns went out of business 2 years ago or so. Did they reopen? Just curious.
Old 08-24-2013, 8:26 AM

We have several threads already with local range reviews.

By the way, DGM is either Morena or Santee. They do not have a La Mesa location. Both locations have great customer service. Especially since they got rid of a bunch of the knuckleheads working at either location.

SoCal Guns is a joke. Always has been. There is a reason why they failed before and they will likely do it again. I have heard nothing but bad from them in their new location and their prices are a gouge. Free market preachers feel free to throw money at them.

ASC is hit or miss. Usually miss. Usually rude.

California Police Equipment is pretty fail too.

Turners is Turners. You don't go there for the customer service. They are always busy. You go there to buy guns at a good price that are in stock. Several Calguns supporters work there (Kearney).

If you want great customer service and normal pricing other than what you had listed:

Wilde Built Tactical in La Mesa - Strong Calguns/CGSSA supporters (excellent customer service and very knowledgeable)

Parallax Tactical in Miramar - Strong Calguns/CGSSA supporter

Fine Firearms of La Mesa - Calguns supporter (good customer service / very knowledgeable)

P2K Range in El Cajon - Strong Calguns/CGSSA supporter (good customer service / good selection / well kept range / hosts SD Chapter Events)
Old 08-24-2013, 11:01 AM

good info, thanks.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

went to ASC asked for some ears to take a look at the range.
all i got was thats whats the windows are for. Didn't argue the point
just walked out.

my fav gun shop: Direct action solutions, solana beach
Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 AM

If anybody can explain to me why the target does the spinny thing at DGM that would be great xD
Old 08-24-2013, 2:40 PM

I believe it is zeroing its center, as you can do scenarios where it turns from the side" so it has to zero out to reser. I could be making that up though.
Old 08-24-2013, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

Where is the North County love?

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 08-24-2013, 7:02 PM

I need to check out Parallax and P2k, I have read good things about both places.

I was not trying to clutter the database/server, I just wanted to add my .02 & receive feedback from other calgunners on the locations I mentioned. While I have been to other locations, these are the ones I frequent, and I seldom ask patrons of a store to give a no-**** assessment of the location they are potentially doing business with.

Thanks for leaving this thread up, and thanks for the comments/feedback received. d
Old 08-24-2013, 7:53 PM

The targets at DGM if thay are anything like i use to train with is : they turn because you can program them to advance on you, then turn as a no shoot , shoot scenario during the advances. I looked at them briefly when shooting at the Morena location. If they have the programming set up they are a true blast to use as a training tool.
Old 08-25-2013, 7:19 AM

Yes, SO Cal Guns was closed. Yes, they just reopened.

Also, there's Team Big Shot on Miramar road - a good bunch of people. Prices seem a little high - especially their FFL fees (I go to Gussler's in Santee).

Also, Wiser Owl on Miramar Rd - not the best selection, no longer an FFL...

Poway Weapons and Gear is a hit or miss - IMO. I bought a rifle from them, seemed to go OK. Sometimes it seems they tolerate you when you ask for questions or service, other times, not so bad...However, they are responsible (from what I hear) for the HUGE shooting range opening up in Spring '14! I'm happy!
Old 08-25-2013, 7:24 AM

Don't forget Royal Loan - it's on El Cajon blvd like Ca Police Equipment, except they're not hacks there. It's close to CA Police Equipment too, maybe only a mile away, and they have a better selection and WAY better customer service than most stores in San Diego. It's this pawn shop that specializes in guns, they've got more than a few of the regular stores! I love that place, the people there actually know what the hell they're talking about, at least Matt and Jason did, theyre the ones who've helped me before. You guys really should check that place out!
Old 08-25-2013, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post

Do you know what happened? I used to use them for all my transfers since they had the lowest prices.
Old 08-25-2013, 9:10 AM

Parallax Tactical - so far a great experience working with Jeff at parallax. Currently waiting on p30 sse so I can start my dros but they have been keeping me updated on the process. Great selection of rifles as well and of course parts for your rifle builds. Can't wait to pick up my new H&K.

Another spot worth mentioning is D.A.S. in Solana Beach. Have never bought anything there but the guys there seems very informative and helpful. Good selection of manufacturer firearms as well

Last edited by Sagasupra; 08-26-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 08-25-2013, 12:16 PM

I went into American Shooting Center once looking for Makarov 9X18. Some guy was behind the counter watching what seemed like the opposite wall.

"Do you have Makarov 9X18?"

"No!" Still looking at the opposite wall.

It was weird. I got the impression that if he had a full shelf of Makarov 9X18, he still would have said, "No!" Haven't gone back.

I just bought a Sig AR at Big Shot. They seem okay. I go back in four days to pick it up.

I like the Morena Discount Gun Mart rifle range and became a member because I go there enough to justify it. The people there seem nice enough.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:19 PM

@Kensei: Parallax should have the same pricing for transfer as Wiserowl.
http://parallaxtactical.com/pages/transfer-pricing

I totally love Jeff @ Parallax since he has to deal with my bombardment of multiple emails of random questions.
Old 08-25-2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Yes, SO Cal Guns was closed. Yes, they just reopened.

Also, there's Team Big Shot on Miramar road - a good bunch of people. Prices seem a little high - especially their FFL fees (I go to Gussler's in Santee).

Poway Weapons and Gear is a hit or miss - IMO. I bought a rifle from them, seemed to go OK. Sometimes it seems they tolerate you when you ask for questions or service, other times, not so bad...However, they are responsible (from what I hear) for the HUGE shooting range opening up in Spring '14! I'm happy!
I wouldn't get too excited about Poway's range opening. Take a look at the ridiculous membership fees.
Old 08-26-2013, 1:47 AM

Was at DGM Morena yesterday. Walked in and looked at 1911s in the counter. Three employees close by. One was with a customer at the same counter I was at and just walked off when done helping the guy. I waited and no one even acknowledged me so I just left after looking for 10 minutes. They lost a sale since they had the Sig 1911 I was looking for and was planning to buy when I found it.

Think I'll give P2K a try......

Glock 20C at indoor range....
http://youtu.be/T4bP8DnhT9Q
Old 08-26-2013, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
Do you know what happened? I used to use them for all my transfers since they had the lowest prices.
No idea what happened! The woman just told me it's in process, but they don't do the process at this time.

DAS have a good bunch of people. Just picked up my XDm .45 through SSE from them...

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2013, 8:30 AM

I went into Team Big Shot the other day and was not impressed. I had called them first about special ordering some cowboy guns, and they said they'd call me back and never did.

Still, they said they'd special order, and I like supporting LGS over Turner's, so I took the time to go in. They have a former CAS champion or somesuch there, but he was busy with another customer, so I stood there for like 45 minutes waiting. When he finally came to help me, he said they'd have to see about ordering the guns I wanted, and would call me. Never got a call back.

I found out from Turner's that the guns I want are backordered several hundred units from the distributor, which is fine. I can wait. I would have appreciated a call back from Big Shot, though. They're nice guys, which is why I haven't written a mean Yelp review, but not calling someone back is pretty crappy. I even found the note with my name and number on it next to their phone when I went in.
Old 08-26-2013, 9:30 AM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

While Iron Sights does not do SSE's or transfers, the shooting facility is good, th people are nice, and the firearms in stock are fairly priced.

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 08-26-2013, 10:07 AM

I second the below recommendations. Good experiences at both locations.

Fine Firearms of La Mesa - Calguns supporter (good customer service / very knowledgeable)

P2K Range in El Cajon - Strong Calguns/CGSSA supporter (good customer service / good selection / well kept range / hosts SD Chapter Events)
Old 08-26-2013, 10:37 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

P2k is da best!

San Diego Shoot Coordinator
Come On Down San Diego!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=295
Old 08-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Location: The chair is against the wall; John has a long mustache

Just have to add my opinion because of the great experience and service received...Wilde Built Tactical is hands down the best LGS in San Diego. Now if they had their own range they'd be in trouble because most of us would probably never leave.

Second on my list anyway would be a close tie between Soutbay Rod and Gun and P2K...though Southbay is obviously just a range but I love their facility and laid back, chill demeanor.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Poway Weapons & Gear is a place I avoid and as mentioned their new range prices are ridiculous. Thread here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=810841. It's too bad as they are very close to my house.

I'm a member at American Shooting Center and get treated well there although I have witnessed a couple of the staff being short with some people. The girls that work there are awesome (Melody is frickin' hot but she's leaving ).

Glock Store is exceptional for customer service as is Direct Action solutions.

Big Shot and Parallax Tactical both have good service as well.

Turner's in Kearny Mesa is a good place to go for a lot of things like accessories, cleaning supplies, ammo when in stock, etc. No issues with the staff there.

DGM in Santee is ok - I don't like the "pay by the hour" range rates but the staff seems friendly enough.
Old 08-26-2013, 1:42 PM

The staff at DGM have always been really cool with me. My friend wanted to shoot some Russia steel cased ammo there so they opened up a round to make sure it was a steel core and we were GTG. The hourly rate is only thing that bothers me but they tend not to get as busy.

ASC is the closest range to me but aside from the wait sometimes, I've always had good experiences. One time I forgot my mags and they let me borrow one of theirs for free.
Old 08-26-2013, 2:44 PM

DGM Moreno is ok- price gouge the **** out of ammo. Just go down the street to Dicks, they have it half the price without the attitude or wait.

Mostly go up North...
North County Guns is awesome, really helpful and good prices.
Precision Arms was good, then they started gouging prices higher and higher.
Turners San Marcos is ok, good prices friendly associates.

Honestly took my business to the internet, usually Cabelas. None of the local shops have what I need or decent prices anymore.
Old 08-26-2013, 2:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I give Turners on Kearny Mesa good marks, when the scare first started, yes it was crazy wait times, but things have calmed down.. they didn't jack up the ammo prices too much and were up front about when their shipments came in. I have been in there enough that some of the staff call me by name if they happen to see me... always a good feeling. I bought my first AR and my first 1911 there.
Old 08-27-2013, 9:13 AM

I love P2K to death, but they told me they don't do special orders, so their inventory is limited to what is on hand. I love shooting there and like to support them, but they'd have ALL of my money if they only carried or ordered the firearms I want.
Old 08-27-2013, 9:35 AM

P2k, Parallax, and Fine Firearms are my favorites. I tend to stay in east county though, so I haven't' visited a few of the ones I hear good things about(DAS, big shot, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
I love meat. All in my mouth. Juices flowing down my mouth. And Id swallow
Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 AM

DAS Tactical in Solana Beach is a great shop. They go out of their way to be helpful. very friendly and approachable.

I bumped in to one of the guys at a booth at the gun show and he hung out to give me some opinions and options on what I was looking at. I'll always check in there before going anywhere else.
Old 08-27-2013, 6:17 PM
In Memoriam

If we ever had a store in San Diego that had great prices AND service, they would put the rest of them out of business. Having what the customer wants or doing a great job ordering it is what a great business is all about. I like P2K except for the slow service. Turner's? What that Turners. I buy a lot from them as I can go during the middle of the week when the lines are short. SoCal Guns, what a waste, they'll go under again.
Old 08-27-2013, 6:22 PM

Had my first experience with Duncan's Gunworks in San Marcos today. Brought in my new Winchester 1892 to change the buckhorn sights to Marble Arm's Bullseye sights. Called them last week and got an estimate of about $55 ~ $85. I was also told that it's hunting season, so don't expect a quick turnaround.

Dropped it off, guy said no problem. Also asked him to install the rear screw for the sling - had to be drilled and counter sunk. Also, asked him to check to see what I messed up on the feed tube end since I didn't get the screw flush...

Very friendly people there - lots of staff. 100's of new and used rifles and shotguns. Lots of pistols - many used. Fairly decent prices.

Dropped it off. Drove home from San Marcos to Mira Mes a- about 20 miles. Just finished changing my clothes (I was at Jury Duty in Vista) and they called me to pick it up! I was shocked! Cost: $55 even with the additional stuff I asked him to do! Again, very friendly! Chatted with several people in there buying stuff. The guy who rung me up looked at the new sights and liked them, as do I.

Good place!
Old 08-27-2013, 6:28 PM

Bit of a noob but thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

DAS-bought from them after a fun interaction at the gun show, helpful and friendly, get good stuff, not the cheapest

Turners KM - neutral, always busy, most employees have been friendly and accommodating

Parallax - good selection, fair prices, busy but staff is friendly, taller skinner guy that is always back in the parts area has been helpful on multiple occasions

Wiser Owl - Sparse inventory, always seem a little stressed, like that they are a mom and pop shop with ties to Mil, prices on par, asked about transfers many months ago right when they stopped and they said they didn't have room

Team Big Shot - been there once, didn't scare me away but didn't interact much

Poway Weapons - browsed a bit a couple times, everyone seemed mad, felt like I was intruding

ASC - other than a purchase many years ago have only used the range, yeah some of the guys are pretty crusty but they haven't been out of line with me
Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenosAce View Post
Where is the North County love?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manpants View Post
I wouldn't get too excited about Poway's range opening. Take a look at the ridiculous membership fees.
New range in Poway is coming this winter, it is not affiliated with PWG.
Old 08-30-2013, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelgear View Post
Don't forget Royal Loan - it's on El Cajon blvd like Ca Police Equipment, except they're not hacks there. It's close to CA Police Equipment too, maybe only a mile away, and they have a better selection and WAY better customer service than most stores in San Diego. It's this pawn shop that specializes in guns, they've got more than a few of the regular stores! I love that place, the people there actually know what the hell they're talking about, at least Matt and Jason did, theyre the ones who've helped me before. You guys really should check that place out!
I 2nd for Royal.
I was in the market for a g17 and happen to find them on a web search and they had 2 OD G17's in stock. The next day they has one less thanks to me.

Good guys very helpfull no drama. What more can you ask?
Old 08-30-2013, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
New range in Poway is coming this winter, it is not affiliated with PWG.
There's two opening in Poway.

One opening soon that is like 17 lanes and not affliated with PWG.

A second, opening much later, which is 42 lanes and is affiliated with PWG. Also, it has ridiculous fees.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaeris View Post

Any more details on this? I knew about the PWG range but this is the first I've heard of a 2nd one?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaeris View Post

A second, opening much later, which is 42 lanes and is affiliated with PWG. Also, it has ridiculous fees.
That's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Gee View Post
Any more details on this? I knew about the PWG range but this is the first I've heard of a 2nd one?
FWIW, the PWG range is the second one. What do you want to know? It will be in Poway and is coming this winter. It will be a family friendly environment and they will teach home defense courses and some other other courses geared toward making a "non-gun" person more comfortable with a firearm. It will be a range, and there will be a retail store. They will not have ridiculous fees.