Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-02-2017, 5:36 AM

Default GHB Item Storage

Living in Southern California we have some optimum weather. However, we also have some crazy temperature swings. Last week it was close 100, now it's in 60s.

How do you keep the items in your GHB from getting messed up by the temperature changes? Do you bring your stuff in every night and carry it back to the car in the morning? Do you leave it in your car? How often are you changing out batteries, food, water, etc.?
Old 11-02-2017, 6:07 AM

I leave nothing in the car. Its a bag and should weigh a reasonable amount. Only time my bag stays in the car is at work which is behind secure fences with armed guards. Changing items out is dependent on what you have. If not in the item like a flashlight then you should be good for a couple years at a time.
Old 11-02-2017, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taidaisher View Post
Living in Southern California we have some optimum weather. However, we also have some crazy temperature swings. Last week it was close 100, now it's in 60s.

How do you keep the items in your GHB from getting messed up by the temperature changes? Do you bring your stuff in every night and carry it back to the car in the morning? Do you leave it in your car? How often are you changing out batteries, food, water, etc.?
I keep my ghb in my truck 24/7 >> 365 and check/change out items twice a year.
I switched out my hot weather gear for cold weather in October. I'll change it back in the spring.
This schedule allows me to check condition of everything and make sure batts and water are good etc..
I have never had water/food go bad.

Keep the ghb out of direct sunlight and placed in the coolest part of the vehicle and the only thing you may need to do is pay attention to the food in the pack.
Maybe rotate your food out in the summer time. YMMV on that because of what your food choices are.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-02-2017, 9:16 PM

I keep my bag fully packed and in my car trunk at all times. I take it out maybe once a month to check on batteries and replace items. i just changed out my clothing to more of winter clothing. I change out my food every two months during summer time, and 3 months in the winter. for the food, I just keep energy bars and high calories food bars.
Old 11-02-2017, 9:44 PM

My GHB only goes in my car if I am going more then 5 miles from home. In the car I already have extra supplies that live in the car. Rotate old stuff for new stuff every 6 months. Give the old stuff to the homeless.

1.water
2.ifak
3.snacks
4.fire kit
5.ammo
6.flashlight
7.extra back pack
8. Knife
9.tool kit
10.TP
Glock 23 with Buffalo Bore on the hip.
Old 11-06-2017, 8:52 PM

Our GHBs stay in the car 24/7, unless they go inside to be checked, re-stocked, etc. My wife's is in the trunk of her car, mine stays low inside the SUV and is usually shielded from sunlight.
Old 11-10-2017, 3:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Top Ramen, Jacket/synthetic-whooly-hoodie, lighters, case of water always in the trunk, Mace Pepper gun w/in driver reach. Flashlights in the car, AND on my desk at work. 2 USB battery banks always charged on my desk.

My backpack is my take lunch to work bag, contains my eCigs kits, 18650s, USB battery bank, MicroUSB cables, Type "C" cable, spare phone for a SIM-swap if my phones dies, and more...

This thread reminds me, shorts, spare socks and shoes are NOT in the car, which should be rectified...

Last edited by the86d; 11-10-2017 at 3:50 AM..
Old 11-13-2017, 11:00 PM

I change out most of the consumables around the first of the year. I store the batteries outside of the gear and have found they will last for at least half their shelf life this way. I am testing the lithium ones now and while you are at it try to get everything to use the same battery.

As far as clothing is concerned I keep a spare pair of work pants, light cold weather gear, extra socks, and a pair of broken in walking shoes with the bag in a tub in my trunk year round. I don't see a need to pack warm weather gear, because I am going to be dressed for that going out the door no matter what I am going to be doing short of a wedding.

Most of what you would need to get home is going to be unaffected by temperature. The stuff that will be needs to be checked regularly even if you take it into the house every night.

TL/DR: Maintenance is the secret to dealing with tempreture's effects.
ARMADILLOS!!!
----------------------------------------------------
"You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
- Blondie

Last edited by DippyPower; 11-13-2017 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: TL/DR