Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-30-2017, 8:55 PM

Default Back pack handgun..help me choose.

This thread is concerning my "get home bag". Right now I have a Springfield XD .45LE (5" long slide) in .45 GAP in my bag. I have this handgun because I bought it cheap.

Originally I threw this in my pack for the very reason stated above (it was cheap) but now I realize it may be taking up too much space and it might be too heavy.

I also have a S&W SD9VE just sitting in the safe. I am wondering what would be a better option between the 2 handguns mentioned. Should I maybe buy something different for this application?

I don't have a CCW, I live in Santa Barbara county so that is not an option. What do you guys / gals recommend for this application. Keep in mind I am not a caliber or gun brand snob.

If this question makes any sense please give me your input.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:03 PM

I would look at something that has a popular caliber, not because I'm a snob, but because of accessibility. If you're bugging in or out, ammo is always an issue. I'd stick with 9 mm, 38/357 mag or 45 ACP. I picked up a snub nose 38/357 s&w that I'm going to use for my backpacking gun, not so much because the gun is small or light, but because the ammo is so prevalent. I can go into pretty much any gun store in the country and they'd most likely have what I was looking for. It also doesn't hurt that it packs a massive pinch for its size. I hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

3" S&W Model 60

Old 09-30-2017, 10:16 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

LCRx 3" if you are counting ounces.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 09-30-2017, 10:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Which one do you shoot more accurately under stressful conditions? Or even under mock stressful conditions?
Do you have any second thoughts about carrying a round in the chamber with the gun, and IN the backpack, with either one of the guns?

If these questions don't point you in a direction I have to agree with what's already been posted above you might want to choose a more common caliber for your get home / bug out bag.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
Which one do you shoot more accurately under stressful conditions? Or even under mock stressful conditions?
Do you have any second thoughts about carrying a round in the chamber with the gun, and IN the backpack, with either one of the guns?

If these questions don't point you in a direction I have to agree with what's already been posted above you might want to choose a more common caliber for your get home / bug out bag.
I can shoot them both very well. Because it rides with me every day I don't keep a magazine in it much less a round chambered (a wee bit illegal without a ccw). If it came to it, I have no problem carrying anything hot and ready to go.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver.257 View Post
I would look at something that has a popular caliber, not because I'm a snob, but because of accessibility. If you're bugging in or out, ammo is always an issue. I'd stick with 9 mm, 38/357 mag or 45 ACP. I picked up a snub nose 38/357 s&w that I'm going to use for my backpacking gun, not so much because the gun is small or light, but because the ammo is so prevalent. I can go into pretty much any gun store in the country and they'd most likely have what I was looking for. It also doesn't hurt that it packs a massive pinch for its size. I hope this helps.
I'm picking up what you're putting down. The two firearms I mentioned are not the only ones I own. The idea of this pack is just to get my arse home from work or whatever, granted I rely on it when I am anywhere.

I did put said handgun in my pack in the beginning because if it gets stolen then oh well, I'm not out much as far as the gun. I'm starting to question if that is a good idea or not.
Old 10-01-2017, 9:19 AM

Don't carry concealed and loaded unless you are licensed for such in California.

Select a conventional, readily available caliber such as 9mm Luger, .40 cal, .45 ACP, or go revolver i. .38 spl or .357 mag.
Old 10-02-2017, 3:43 PM

When ammo was scarce a few years ago, .380 was gone, 9mm scant and expensive, 22 LR gone, .45 scant. Revolver cartridges were still plentiful. That's just my VERY limited experience in ammo shopping in my local area. But it had me thinking...

I still still don't have any revolvers so that's just cheap talk from me, by the way.
Old 10-03-2017, 2:06 PM

Well, I turned the .45 GAP into a .45 ACP. Walked into my LGS and ended up trading the XD and $300.00 for a Glock 30. Beside used Tauruses and expensive S & W's the only revolvers they had were the Ruger LCR's. I already have one in .22 & .38 and I hate the triggers. Since I like my Glocks I figured why not a compact .45 ACP to go with my G19's and G23'S.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:15 AM

My wife carries a S&W shield, seems like a good little pistol and are relatively cheep.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Calguns Addict

I just want to clarify when I posted ...

"Do you have any second thoughts about carrying a round in the chamber with the gun, and IN the backpack, with either one of the guns?"

I wasn't implying that you should carry the gun like that now or all the time but in an real emergency situation/SHTF you might want to have a loaded handgun ready to go but neither of those two pistols is really small enough to hide or carry in your pocket.
That means it's going to be in your backpack, Maybe bouncing around with other items inside your backpack, as you walk or run away from danger.

And there are some guns that don't have grip safeties, trigger safeties, long triggers ...etc. that you might not feel comfortable about carrying loaded with a round in the chamber that way.

I was not advising you to break any laws Unless you're in a real life or death situation.

Anyway, congratulations on solving your problem and I think the Gunshop got a good deal with your trade-in and 300 cash and since you said you got that pistol at a bargain and was in .45 GAP it works out for you as well.

Last edited by sealocan; 10-04-2017 at 11:49 AM..
Old 10-04-2017, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Mine is a S&W 327, scandium 8 shot revolver with self defense NOT plus p rounds...thus light, manageable recoil and reliable...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 10-04-2017, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

While you don't have a ccw I suggest something like a S&W 442 because it's so easy to carry in your pocket without an uncomfortable holster. If you are walking you better be comfy. And it's so easy to look casual chilling with your hand already on your gun.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:36 PM
Banned

Gotta love ccs. No permit needed. God grants rights not fedgov or stategov.

(CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY STATES)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:23 PM

Glock21 SF. Good knock down power, especially with modern ammo.
Old 10-10-2017, 3:19 AM

First of all, great choice with the 45 GAP. That is what I did use as a car gun before selling it to a friend who needed a cheap gun fast. I will be buying a Glock 39 to replace my old 37. Ammo is cheap if you know were to buy it and I like the fact that most people don't know what a 45GAP is so if it does get stolen the bad guy won't be able to pick up ammo that easy.
Glock 23 with Buffalo Bore on the hip.

Last edited by KrisDSA; 10-10-2017 at 3:21 AM..
Old 10-10-2017, 6:18 AM

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5456.html

Reliable, small, easy to find food for it.
Old 10-10-2017, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5456.html

Reliable, small, easy to find food for it.

OP already has two of them and says he hates the trigger.
Old 10-10-2017, 7:25 PM

Good choice with the g30. I've got a glock 20sf 10mm for woods gun. Looking for a g30 myself to match my 1911 reload stuff.
Old 10-10-2017, 8:07 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisDSA View Post
First of all, great choice with the 45 GAP. ... I like the fact that most people don't know what a 45GAP is so if it does get stolen the bad guy won't be able to pick up ammo that easy.
Heh.
That the same reasoning that when I fly to States where I can legally carry, I usually pack my .45GAP Glock 39.
If it gets lost/stolen in transit by TSA/airport personnel, it'll give them headaches trying to find additional ammo for it.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-18-2017, 10:24 AM

While yes, there is a chance of some sort of catastrophic situation where you have to pack yourself home, the odds of a "walking dead" style "hostiles at every turn, gotta git inna woods," situation are zero.

If you have to walk your self home, then it's probably still within a day or so of whatever terrible incident has occurred, society hasn't **** the bed completely yet. There may be some looters or degenerates in the streets, but the best policy is to avoid them and get home asap. Using a gun in any capacity in a situation like that is bad news, so just mind your business and carry on home, that's where you are needed.

I say this not to say you shouldn't have a gun, but the whole idea of scrounging ammo from a walmart or somehow abandoned police station is silly. Have the gun, have it loaded. Do you really want to get in gunfights big enough to require more than say... 6 shots? Jesus even 6 is a big ****ing gunfight. Keep your head down, go home to your family. This isn't Book of Eli
Old 10-30-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strakill View Post
This thread is concerning my "get home bag". Right now I have a Springfield XD .45LE (5" long slide) in .45 GAP in my bag. I have this handgun because I bought it cheap.

Originally I threw this in my pack for the very reason stated above (it was cheap) but now I realize it may be taking up too much space and it might be too heavy.

I also have a S&W SD9VE just sitting in the safe. I am wondering what would be a better option between the 2 handguns mentioned. Should I maybe buy something different for this application?

I don't have a CCW, I live in Santa Barbara county so that is not an option. What do you guys / gals recommend for this application. Keep in mind I am not a caliber or gun brand snob.

45 GAP?

Go with the S&W 9mm.
Old 10-31-2017, 8:20 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Nobody ever bothers to read a thread do they?
Old 11-01-2017, 10:32 AM

Yes I did read the OP question. He states he doesn’t have a CCW. He’s decided to still carry concealed. His decision and hopefully understands the consequences if he runs afoul with LE. I personally agree with his decision to have a firearm in a GHB. If I need my GHB it means I’m stranded in an isolated and/or unsavory situation where my need for self defense outweighs an arrest for a CW. All that said I’d opt for any of the small lightweight 9mm semi autos so popular today like the S&W Shield. I’ll also carry bear spray to ward off four and two legged challengers.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon7 View Post
Yes I did read the OP question. He states he doesnt have a CCW. Hes decided to still carry concealed. His decision and hopefully understands the consequences if he runs afoul with LE. I personally agree with his decision to have a firearm in a GHB. If I need my GHB it means Im stranded in an isolated and/or unsavory situation where my need for self defense outweighs an arrest for a CW. All that said Id opt for any of the small lightweight 9mm semi autos so popular today like the S&W Shield. Ill also carry bear spray to ward off four and two legged challengers.
I keep it with me due to the route I would have to take home. I work in the outskirts of Santa Maria and I live 25 or 30 miles from work through rural / forestry areas with lots of coyotes and other predators not to mention sketchy people who use anything as an excuse to cause trouble.
Old 11-01-2017, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Couple of things come to mind.

1) How far do you have to go to get to a secure location?

This needs to be a consideration for how much additional ammo you'll carry.

2) If you have to use your GHB, will your pistol be in the bag? Or will you remove it and place it on your body?

If you're going to keep it in the bag, you might want to spend some time practicing on getting that gun out quickly in the event you ever need to use it.

Quick draw from bag

If you're going to carry it on your side, is weight really a concern?

3) If weight is a concern, most of the polymer pistols will fit the bill. Where you'll run into issues with weight is in the amount of ammo you'll be carrying as each cartridge will contribute to the total.

For instance, 2x 9mm 115gr cartridges weigh about the same as 1x 45acp 230g cartridge.

If you're looking to carry a revolver like a 340PD (super light, 5shot 357mag) - I would REALLY REALLY recommend you go shoot one a few times and try to do a reload on the clock.
Old 11-01-2017, 9:40 PM

Is a Ruger P series (P-89/90/95) an option?

Built like a tank, inexpensive, and fairly accurate (My P-90 is extremely accurate).

Got Zydrate?

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.
Old 11-01-2017, 9:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonmarkin View Post

I say this not to say you shouldn't have a gun, but the whole idea of scrounging ammo from a walmart or somehow abandoned police station is silly. Have the gun, have it loaded. Do you really want to get in gunfights big enough to require more than say... 6 shots? Jesus even 6 is a big ****ing gunfight. Keep your head down, go home to your family. This isn't Book of Eli
Well stated. Unless it is the total collapse of society for decades there will ultimately be consequences for actions taken and people will be called to task if someone shoots someone else. Eventually the lights will come back on and the long arm of the law will come reaching.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 11-01-2017, 10:10 PM

glock 19, cheap, and good track record
Old 11-01-2017, 10:44 PM

My backpack gun is a S&W M&P 340 PD... I believe it’s the lightest revolver they make. Shoots six rounds of 38/357. I definitely do NOT like shooting 357 at the range with this gun, but 38 +p’s are no problem.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:35 AM

deleted i noticed the op sold the gun.
Glock 23 with Buffalo Bore on the hip.

Last edited by KrisDSA; 11-03-2017 at 1:53 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Well, I turned the .45 GAP into a .45 ACP. Walked into my LGS and ended up trading the XD and $300.00 for a Glock 30. Beside used Tauruses and expensive S & W's the only revolvers they had were the Ruger LCR's. I already have one in .22 & .38 and I hate the triggers. Since I like my Glocks I figured why not a compact .45 ACP to go with my G19's and G23'S.
If you've got multiple G19s, why are you even asking? Fast reloads, common caliber, dead nuts reliable, accurate, durable, common parts...

I think G19 is the ultimate shtf pistol. Some others may be better at some things, but it checks the most boxes for me.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

most any snuby chambered in .357 will fit this bill.
there are some very light weight units out there. even special fancy metals that are very light. and not rust prone.
as said earler the ammo is everywhere.
suer not a 1000 yard gun, just a incase needed get home friend.
Old 11-08-2017, 6:40 PM

S&W shield (cheap) or LCR/JFrame (cheap).

I figure in the kind of situation that you need to walk home (earthquake, power outage, etc) concealment capability beats firepower. If the situation may require more firepower (like a riot) I'd really think about the walk a few more times.

If you wanna plan for that, maybe a keltec SU16. I'm in the market for one of those when I find it. I've got a KSG, but when you add in the weight of the ammo, that's a heavy lump to put in a backpack.
Old 11-08-2017, 6:46 PM
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Go for a light gun like a Glock 19 (light mags too) and light ammo 9mm 124g +p. This is a balanced outfit in terms of power vs. weight with reliability and reasonable ergonomics. Small enough to conceal and won't hit you pocket book too hard.

Another possibility is the Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9mm Glock or 40 glock. These fold in half to only 16", they are very light, and they can be stored with the mag installed. They snap open very quickly and close just as quickly. They are light and with a 16" barrel they turn a 9mm +P into a pretty good self defense carbine. The down side are the sights. If you don't use a red dot with the Sub2000 (I don't) you'd better practice with the irons because they sit very low.

I have 2 gen 2 Sub2ks and think they make a good trunk or get home bag folder for emergencies. They literally fit in a regular briefcase size space with room to spare.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-08-2017 at 6:56 PM..
Old 11-08-2017, 6:50 PM

My Backpacking gun is a S&W 640 Pro with night sights and CTC laser grips.
Light enough, more than powerful enough.
Old 11-08-2017, 7:38 PM
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonmarkin View Post
..... Do you really want to get in gunfights big enough to require more than say... 6 shots? Jesus even 6 is a big ****ing gunfight. Keep your head down, go home to your family. This isn't Book of Eli
I don't get comments like this. If the point is to keep a firearm with you in case of an unexpected emergency, then why in heck would you only carry 6 rounds.

Let's face it, if you are planning for a worst case situation where you might need to walk all the way home. Then you might as well have some water, energy bars, warm/dry jacket, flashlight, a fixed blade knife, water/purifier, extra socks, IFAK, para-cord, and ENOUGH AMMO TO EFFECTIVELY ESCAPE AN ATTACK BY MULTIPLE PERPS if you cannot avoid them.

A small 14# pack.

Carry a backpack with all the stuff you need, but wimp out on the ammo? Hmmm, not wise IMHO.

What's the point of carrying a gun without a reasonable amount of ammo. And I'm talking 4-5 magazines (40-50 rounds).

You may never need it, but damn why wouldn't you carry the insurance?

And I would never pack a wheel gun for this purpose.

The object of getting home is to do so without drama, any altercation is to be avoided, but why not be ready. I just don't get it.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-08-2017 at 7:41 PM..
Old 11-08-2017, 8:10 PM

Sd9ve...cheap and I trust my life to it. Won’t break my heart if it gets broken or lost.
Old 11-08-2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Nobody ever bothers to read a thread do they?
I like to live dangerously.