Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-21-2017, 3:08 PM

Default Emergency food

Any recommendations for pre packaged emergency food supply ? I see all types and kinds with varying prices . Any supplier you guys have used and reccomend?
Old 09-21-2017, 3:49 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Purpose?

That is, portable, as MRE, or bug-in as Mountain House 1-year ?
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-21-2017, 4:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Signup for internet specials. Major Surplus, Midway , Sportsmanguide.
Look at the grocery store ads. . Start by spending an extra $20 for emergency food. Look for the canned goods specials when you have to 10 to get sale price.
Old 09-21-2017, 5:15 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Traditional canned foods are good, but they're big and heavy. Assuming you have an emergency water plan already in place I always go for the freeze dried stuff. Mountain House tastes good. Like really good. Almost as good as "real" food and their selection is pretty darn good too. As some will tell you, it's a little pricier per calorie than some other options... but to get you a good and real start towards emergency food storage they're hard to beat IMO.

Buy a couple pouches and see.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 09-21-2017, 5:29 PM

I've got a little pantry cabinet with everyday non-perishables at my Oregon place and it's easy to go a month without making a substantial dent in it. One merely switches from 'live to eat' to 'eat to live'. Great way to lose weight too for those of us who need to.

It's pretty easy to eat a balanced diet right out of the pantry without any fancy survivalist stuff. However, long-term, like you're going off the human race for good, I'll defer to others. I'm not ready for that yet. I did the freeze-dried thing back when in Scouts and bicycle camping and IMO it's fine but just not my cuppa for day to day living.

I bought a place with a full-time creek so I could keep stuff cool as well as grab water to purify in a pinch if no power for the well ten feet from it. Temperature seems to stay pretty steady between 40-45 degrees as it comes from a drinking water lake and is mostly shaded.

So, if doing the dried stuff, definitely plan on having a steady supply of usable water. Emergencies can be all-encompassing and the body, while it can survive on very little food, even none for periods of time, needs water. No water = die.
Old 09-22-2017, 2:32 AM

Canned goods and food pouches. You can find a big variety at your local supermarket. Grab a gallon or two of distilled water while your at it.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member

There are at least 20 threads in here about this subject.

But I'll post it again...

This is probably your easiest solution with a decent cost/calorie ratio for a long-term storage solution.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/af-30-...lp:product:1:1

You can get a better cost/calorie ratio at the LDS cannery's, but they just have the basics like rice, wheat, milk and beans. You have to know how to prepare and process those. And rice and milk is probably not a meal your family is accustomed to.

A simple bucket with ready-meals and a 25-year shelf life that needs nothing more than water is probably your best solution.

You need to have a plan for water. Storage, filtering, whatever. Water is your main concern.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 09-23-2017, 1:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
There are at least 20 threads in here about this subject.

But I'll post it again...

This is probably your easiest solution with a decent cost/calorie ratio for a long-term storage solution.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/af-30-...lp:product:1:1

You can get a better cost/calorie ratio at the LDS cannery's, but they just have the basics like rice, wheat, milk and beans. You have to know how to prepare and process those. And rice and milk is probably not a meal your family is accustomed to.

A simple bucket with ready-meals and a 25-year shelf life that needs nothing more than water is probably your best solution.

You need to have a plan for water. Storage, filtering, whatever. Water is your main concern.

Link doesn't work.
Old 09-23-2017, 1:13 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm. Works for me. ??

Just go to samsclub.com and search for 'emergency food'.

Click this -

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scfood.JPG (25.5 KB, 942 views)
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 09-23-2017, 1:14 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/af-30-day-...d/prod20380167

Last edited by NATEWA; 09-23-2017 at 1:17 AM..
Old 09-23-2017, 1:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Ahhh...you're trying to connect on a mobile URL link.

Samsclub programmer conversion fail.

Glad you found it.

Old 09-23-2017, 3:17 PM

i see your in san diego -- If you are ever in Rancho Cucamonga area check out the honeyville store they have terrific options when it comes to emergency preparedness items & long term Food Supplies @ reasonable prices too!
Old 10-17-2017, 3:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandchanel View Post
Any recommendations for pre packaged emergency food supply ? I see all types and kinds with varying prices . Any supplier you guys have used and reccomend?

LDS Home Storage Center, 4722 Mercury St. SD CA 92111 phone # 858-279-2664. They have a general store area & a bulk food area. Totally separate from each other. Bulk food area is where the best prices are IMHO.

Call before you go there to make sure they will be open. I know you don't have to be LDS to purchase the bulk food items but I'm not sure about the general store items. I've only purchased bulk food items in the past.

It's staffed by church volunteers. Great folks, be nice to them. And BTW, cash is king. Good Luck.
Old 10-17-2017, 3:37 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

The Ready Store https://www.thereadystore.com/ has lots of options. I have bought quite a bit from them, mostly #10 cans of dried food but also canned butter and cheese as well. Good customer service.

We put this into our regular rotation and consumption, so the shelf life extends as we replenish our stock.
Old 10-17-2017, 4:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beretta View Post
LDS Home Storage Center, 4722 Mercury St. SD CA 92111 phone # 858-279-2664. They have a general store area & a bulk food area. Totally separate from each other. Bulk food area is where the best prices are IMHO.

Call before you go there to make sure they will be open. I know you don't have to be LDS to purchase the bulk food items but I'm not sure about the general store items. I've only purchased bulk food items in the past.

It's staffed by church volunteers. Great folks, be nice to them. And BTW, cash is king. Good Luck.

You can also go this route.
https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/sto...6706370_-1___0
Old 10-18-2017, 2:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandchanel View Post
If you are Bugging In:

I recommend canned food. Store them in a cool place. If they're not dented or bloated it will last you decades.

If you're bugging out:

I recommend MREs.

Dehydrated foods: Great for bugging in or out. Just remember you NEED water to re-hydrate.
Old 10-19-2017, 9:10 PM

http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/emerg...food_s/116.htm
Old 10-19-2017, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

Our emergency prep is a little lacking in this area. We have some food, but not a lot. We have some regular canned food that we actually eat (Spam, Chili etc) and we rotate it out as they get close to expiring. This way, we're not stuck eating stuff that we wouldn't normally eat. This is more of a bugging in type of situation where weight isn't a major concern.

As far as the freeze dried stuff, we did try some of the Mountain House stuff, it's o.k, but would definitely fall under the 'I really don't want to eat this, but I don't want to die of starvation either' category. Seriously, some of it wasn't that bad. I'll have to check out some of the above links as those look really good. Appreciate it!
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-22-2017, 5:11 PM
Calguns Addict

OP.....3 words I failed to mention.

Water.....Water.....Water !

Clean, safe water (and lots of it) is an absolute must have to your survival supply. There's many thread on this topic. Bottled, 55 gal drums, etc. Do your homework Find out what works best for you.

Good Luck.
Old 10-22-2017, 8:38 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Our emergency prep is a little lacking in this area. We have some food, but not a lot. We have some regular canned food that we actually eat (Spam, Chili etc) and we rotate it out as they get close to expiring. This way, we're not stuck eating stuff that we wouldn't normally eat. This is more of a bugging in type of situation where weight isn't a major concern.

As far as the freeze dried stuff, we did try some of the Mountain House stuff, it's o.k, but would definitely fall under the 'I really don't want to eat this, but I don't want to die of starvation either' category. Seriously, some of it wasn't that bad. I'll have to check out some of the above links as those look really good. Appreciate it!
And that puts it about 5 notches above Wise Foods.
Old 10-22-2017, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
And that puts it about 5 notches above Wise Foods.
Maybe I should just stick with the Stagg Chili and Spam???
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Clean, safe water (and lots of it) is an absolute must have to your survival supply. There's many thread on this topic. Bottled, 55 gal drums, etc. Do your homework Find out what works best for you.

Good Luck.
Yes, we ALL need water regardless of our situation (Bug-in/out). We have a few of the large water bottles next to our bug-out bin that we can either take with or use if bugging-in. We also have a portable Katadyne Hiker-Pro to filter water just in case. That goes with us in our Emergency bag. I looked into the Lifestraw and the Grayl. Both had some major downsides with the Katadyne system being the most versatile of them from what I've seen. I'm sure there are others with more research/experience, but this is what we've decided on for the time being. If anybody wants to chime in, please give us your recommendations.

Be safe y'all.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-01-2017, 3:15 PM

Check out Walmart, they have internet stuff and free shipping over 35.00. Augason farms sells thru them, much of it has a 20 year shelf life.
Old 11-02-2017, 9:26 AM

+1 for the LDS store. I checked out my local one last weekend and came away with $200 worth of 30-year freeze dried cans of this and that. Their #10 cans are like 1/4 the price of the #10 Augason 30 year cans at Walmart. I can't vouch for how they taste, but if I am ever eating them it'll be a situation where I'll be thankful to have them.
Old 11-14-2017, 6:19 AM

It depends on what you are planning for. If you want to store food at one location, you can get #10 cans of the freeze dried/dehydrated foods at Winco, Walmart, etc. WalMart is nice, since they have free shipping on orders over $35. So, ordering about 3 cans at a time won't break the budget.
If you have a pressure cooker, you can can your own, especially meats. As someone mentioned here, Top Ramon. Getting some of the freeze dried veggies and meat chunks added to Top Ramon will make fair meal.
If you are planning a bug out bag, while the Mountain House freeze dried foods make for a convenient package, they sorely lack in calories(fats, etc.) for any kind of extended use. My son had a geology field camp last year which involved lots, and lots, and lots, of walking/hiking in rough terrain. He and a buddy took cheeses and things like salami to snack on, and did fine. Another kid took nothing but the Mountain House foods and was eating about 5 a day, and was constantly hungry.
Old 08-10-2018, 2:34 PM

I get my stuff mainly from My Patriot Supply: https://mypatriotsupply.com/ They have kits for amounts of time but they also have #10 cans and case packs so I can stock up on the foods I want. I'm on the Keto diet so I stock up on a lot of cheese, eggs, meat for my stash.
Old 08-10-2018, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Subject covered here so much I recommend to do CG "Gargle" search,,, https://cse.google.com/cse?q=+&cx=01...78:pzxbzjzh1zk

Count calories/serving size. There are lots of misleading food merch pimps out there. Caveat emptor.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-10-2018, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

The McIlhenny Company of Avery Island, Louisiana. That’s what emergency food starts with.
Old 08-10-2018, 5:18 PM

Freeze dried rice, beans and potatoes for basics. Freeze dried meat, eggs and veggies to add later if funds are tight. Freeze dried fruits, oats, milk and corn/flour meal are good as well. Don't forget seasonings like sugar, salt, pepper, chicken/beef stocks, garlic and onion powders...all freeze dried as well. Keep it simple and you can get some decent meals that pack calories and carbs needed to survive.

You can go the freeze dried meals but the variety and portions can be minimal. I was going the prepped meal route but figured basic ingredients can make meals from tacos to soups. Freeze dried is important in grains because insect eggs and larva can't survive/thrive in the process.
Old 08-10-2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi762 View Post
Freeze dried rice, beans and potatoes for basics. Freeze dried meat, eggs and veggies to add later if funds are tight. Freeze dried fruits, oats, milk and corn/flour meal are good as well. Don't forget seasonings like sugar, salt, pepper, chicken/beef stocks, garlic and onion powders...all freeze dried as well. Keep it simple and you can get some decent meals that pack calories and carbs needed to survive.

You can go the freeze dried meals but the variety and portions can be minimal. I was going the prepped meal route but figured basic ingredients can make meals from tacos to soups. Freeze dried is important in grains because insect eggs and larva can't survive/thrive in the process.
Freeze dried rice, beans, oats, flour, corn ?. 90 % of the stuff you listed doesn't need to be freeze dried, nor should it be.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Good Luck.
YES! everyone skips water and goes straight to food prep. Water: Hydration, hygiene, and yes all the glorious freeze dried/dehydrated for stores need water cook consume. Rule of thumb thumb 1-2 gallons a day per person.Quickly adds up. Also filters are nice, but most of CA is a desert. Depending where you live, like my southern CA situation I'm SOL with just a filter. Don't get me wrong, I still keep that tool on hand... OP might already have that covered- simply adding my two cents.
WATER WATER WATER

Stay Safe and Shoot Straight.
Old 08-11-2018, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryBoy View Post
YES! everyone skips water and goes straight to food prep. Water: Hydration, hygiene, and yes all the glorious freeze dried/dehydrated for stores need water cook consume. Rule of thumb thumb 1-2 gallons a day per person.Quickly adds up. Also filters are nice, but most of CA is a desert. Depending where you live, like my southern CA situation I'm SOL with just a filter. Don't get me wrong, I still keep that tool on hand... OP might already have that covered- simply adding my two cents.
WATER WATER WATER
Agreed!
Remember, most of your freeze dried foods are lightweight for easy carrying, but fairly low in calories. Look at the portion size and the calorie count. If one is doing any kind of manual labor, walking, excercise of any kind, calorie needs are going to skyrocket.
It wouldn't hurt to buy meats on sale, and then can them up using a pressure cooker. One can even find reusable lids.
For added flavor for certain foods, one can even find canned butter.

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/red-fe...utter-storable
Old 08-11-2018, 7:23 AM
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a strategy that uses traditional canned food, dried and freeze dried food. I believe one needs a balanced food strategy.

I collect rather high calorie canned foods such as chili, and canned meats, including tuna (packed in oil if possible), along with regular canned foods such as soups and condensed milk. These canned foods stay edible for long periods of time.

I also keep many cases of Mountain House #10 cans of various types. If you do a search for Mountain House you will find many companies that have Mountain House sales from time to time. Sign up for their sales flyers. BTW - Mountain House is lighter than canned food of course, but freeze dried food is still bulky and heavy in #10 cans.

Costco online has a very good selection of emergency foods including Mountain House, and they sell bulk beans and one year supply packages. They also ship pretty cheaply.

Another smart place to buy are the LDS food outlets. The Mormons are big into storing emergency foods. If you look into it you will find

I've also purchased various freeze dried beans and lentils, grains and rice, in 5 gallon buckets. You can also buy freeze dried eggs and milk.

Don't forget to buy some cans freeze dried meat, because many of the pre-prepared meals use non-meat protein which is not as good as meat protein. Freeze dried #10 cans of meat are very expensive, but a little goes a long way. Also, buy bulk vitamins, salt and spices. You may want to consider keeping some Crisco or other oils for cooking.

Finally, storing all this takes a lot of space. I don't have nearly as much stored as I'd like. It should also be stored in the coolest place possible. I wish I had space to build a root cellar or something.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 08-11-2018 at 3:48 PM..
Old 08-11-2018, 7:27 AM
CGSSA Specialist

Here's another food storage idea

Get the Huge bag of rice
Save up your 2 liter plastic soda bottles

Wash and dry them out and fill with rice
Get milk crates ( Or something similar )
Stack them in there like logs

Rice ready to go !!!

Tumbled BRASS For Sale

Just check my Long Running Thread : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=262832
Old 08-11-2018, 7:28 AM
CGSSA Specialist

Quote:

Good Luck.
Wise Words right there !!!!!!!

Tumbled BRASS For Sale

Just check my Long Running Thread : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=262832
Old 08-13-2018, 1:51 AM

+1 on water.

As I’ve learned from the 1989 earthquake, emergency water was very important during the critical hours (first 72 hours.) Not only for drinking, but also for cleaning wounds.

It also needed to be easy to carry on person and not easy to leak, so to buy time when going to find more water supply (e.g. for bathing.)

Since 1989, I always have these emergency water pounches everywhere (home, vehicle, BGB, etc.) Sometimes even when I go out for a short hike, I just grab a couple pouches and put them in my pants pockets. Very handy.

(P.S. Mountain House is my go-to emergency food.)
Old 08-13-2018, 3:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Since water is going to be your biggest worry in a SoCal emergency, forget beans, rice, pasta and freeze dried food. They require large amounts of water to make them edible. Have you ever tried eating a bowl of uncooked rice?

Most canned foods are pre-cooked and most contain large amounts of water (canned carrots, canned green beans, canned new whole potatoes, soups etc.) or moisture.
Old 08-13-2018, 5:19 AM
Veteran Member

Emergency food needs to include pre-cooked canned whatever too.
You may need to eat it sans cook fire warm up.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-13-2018, 8:10 PM

I like Scottsbad's approach above. Use every tool at your disposal. Get a couple cases of MRE's, get some freeze dried meals, buy large quantity staples from the LDS Cannery, buy coffee, smaller (comparatively) staples, & canned goods from Costco, pick up canned goods, tea, snacks & more from the $ store. The main thing I would add to that is to grow a huge garden, buy a pressure canner & a dehydrator and start to preserve your own food.
Old 08-14-2018, 5:15 AM

I've been gradually building up a supply. But I decided to can some of my foods. I've canned pint jars with chicken and beef. These will work with the Knorr Lipton rice sides, or Ramon style soups.
I made some beef "stew" in quart jars. I say "stew" because it's a little light on the stew seasonings, though fully cooked and ready to go.
I had some leftover Yukon gold potatoes from Thanksgiving that were starting to sprout, so I cut them and planted them. I got enough potatoes for 7 quarts of potatoes.
I've even dry canned(oven canned) two types of multi bean soups mixes, and a few jars of a wild rice mix.
All these should last for a long time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180814_060313.jpg (94.3 KB, 20 views)