Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2017, 9:35 PM

Default As a Christian, do you attend church regularly?

I'm just curious how many Christians here attend church on a regular basis. The reason I ask is because I don't, only on special occasions. My belief and trust in the Lord is complete and unwavering, but it's just never been a habit to go regularly. I've gone through short periods where I've gone weekly.

My family is very devout in Christ, and I was raised in the best family environment I could imagine. I'm very fortunate in many ways. Growing up, my parents didn't take my sister and I to church because they both had bad experiences with corruption in the church, so I understand that. To this day, they don't attend church, although their hearts are 100% in Christ, I have no doubts about that. I personally have not had bad experiences with any church, but I do know corruption is out there.

Any time I have gone to church in the past, I feel like the message is directed at me, which is funny and interesting. Looking back I can easily see how the Lord has reached out to me to pull me in and help keep me on the right track. I think about church often and wonder how you guys feel about the importance of attending church on a regular basis as a Christian. I don't feel it's necessary to attend church to have a good relationship with God, but maybe I don't understand enough about His word on this subject.

FYI, I consider myself non-denominational. I've never really agreed with denominations anyway. As far as I'm concerned there's only one church, true believers in Christ. If you believe, you are a member.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:31 PM

I grew up in a catholic household, and during the few years I went to parochial school, I went to mass every day, before school (so 6 times a week).
My brother went to seminary, so i had access to a whole bunch of interesting books on both christian faith and other religions (he didn't become a priest).
I've also managed to experience many types of churches first hand, and although i have felt that "rush" during certain portions of a good service, I don't believe i have ever received the gift of faith, so I don't consider myself a christian.
i still believe and follow the main ideas of the new testament, i just don't wish to attach any particular religious dogma to it.
Do I think (from my perspective) that people who claim to be "Christians" should attend church weekly?
This is jmo, but if you can't do that, at least dedicate that much time each week to "doing the lord's work", and helping the needy or something that would make baby jesus smile.
Old 11-27-2017, 5:24 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like you are at the same place I was years ago. I held the same views as to corruption and being non denominational and all. The one thing with church is that it puts you in the sphere of other like believers. Where I thought my personal situation was somewhat unique, it wasn't. Just that many more women are in my position than men.

Sure there may be corruption in certain churches but as a whole they are fine. The best thing to do is visit a few. One thing is make sure they teach from the bible, from that the other "stuff" falls by the wayside.

One other way is to listen to some preachers on the radio. If you like their message and if what they preach aligns with what is taught in the bible then check out their denomination as this will give you an idea where they are coming from.

As to why church? Simple God says so. Where there is more than two believers then God will be there. Start reading and taking the bible seriously and walking the walk and you will come to understand. It may just take a bit, you know...faith.
Old 11-27-2017, 5:39 AM

Acts 20:28
Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.

So, since He cared so much about His Church He laid down His life for it. The Church is His bride. It is important to worship corporately. You have been given some gift by the Holy Spirit to share with other Christians. You may not know what it is but you will be a blessing to others in ways you may not know. But, if you are not there then you can't share it. Further, He is present in the midst of the worship. He is doing a good work in you. He is giving you His spiritual DNA. He is making you more like him. So, it is very important to attend church regularly. As to the corruption, mankind is corrupt. Wherever men are there is corruption. The only antidote for corruption is Jesus Christ.

Last edited by RAMCLAP; 11-27-2017 at 11:18 AM..
Old 11-27-2017, 10:19 AM

All good points and very helpful, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
One thing is make sure they teach from the bible, from that the other "stuff" falls by the wayside.
That's the exact problem my parents ran into. Both of my grandfathers and grandmothers were in ministry for a good chunk of their lives, and both my grandfathers were pastors and bible teachers. From what I was told, their problem with the church began when my grandfather on my dad's side was kicked out of the church because he insisted on teaching from the Bible, and I guess the church had some other plan for teaching they wanted him to follow. I don't know the details as I've never pried, but something I've always been curious about. Anyway it seems like my dad has remained bitter about that through the years, that my grandpa was kicked out for teaching the word of God straight from the source, and I believe that's why we didn't attend church as a family when I was a kid.

I know it's not fair to base my own perception on their experience, and I know not all churches are the same. The ones I've been to have been very good, I think. There's a church I walk by every morning when I'm taking my son for a walk, and every time I think about it, I wonder in the back of my mind if I'm wrong by not going regularly. I do know every time I go it's a great experience, and I feel great when I leave.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2017, 1:15 PM

I stopped going after I used several Bible quotes to prove my point, and was told that I was wrong because the Church's "prophet" said something different.
I decided that I didn't need to go to a church that didn't put the Bible first.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 11-27-2017 at 1:29 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
All good points and very helpful, thank you.

That's the exact problem my parents ran into. Both of my grandfathers and grandmothers were in ministry for a good chunk of their lives, and both my grandfathers were pastors and bible teachers. From what I was told, their problem with the church began when my grandfather on my dad's side was kicked out of the church because he insisted on teaching from the Bible, and I guess the church had some other plan for teaching they wanted him to follow. I don't know the details as I've never pried, but something I've always been curious about. Anyway it seems like my dad has remained bitter about that through the years, that my grandpa was kicked out for teaching the word of God straight from the source, and I believe that's why we didn't attend church as a family when I was a kid.

I know it's not fair to base my own perception on their experience, and I know not all churches are the same. The ones I've been to have been very good, I think. There's a church I walk by every morning when I'm taking my son for a walk, and every time I think about it, I wonder in the back of my mind if I'm wrong by not going regularly. I do know every time I go it's a great experience, and I feel great when I leave.

Sound as if the Holy Spirit is putting it on your heart. So when you don't go to church who profits? Not you, not God, not others that would be blessed by your presence. The enemy wins. The enemy wins when churches stray from the Word. Look for a church that takes the Word seriously.
When we engage with others we have an effect on them even if we don't know it. Case in point spoke with one woman at church about my situation and having to make the choice to live by God's word. Didn't know she was in the same situation as me. As time went along found out that what I had said had an impact and she chose to stay married.
Was this something I did? No. Was it an opportunity that God used? Absolutely.
The opposite goes as well. You deny yourself opportunities to grow by not attending.

Did you or someone you know get treated poorly or did something wrong? Sure. Does your salvation depend on them or what they do? Absolutely not. To be salt and light you need to interact with other Christians. It keeps you from straying. Make a choice to take God's Word seriously not someone's interpretation. It will force you to change your views to align with God.

If you find one that doesn't align with the Word and teachings and interpretations don't align with what you read then leave. If you seek a bible believing and teaching church I assure you you will find one.

It took me years to finally change my mind to attend and when I did I endured a long spiritual battle. I can honestly say that it has changed my outlook and straightened my heart towards Christ.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
I stopped going after I used several Bible quotes to prove my point, and was told that I was wrong because the Church's "prophet" said something different.
I decided that I didn't need to go to a church that didn't put the Bible first.
^^^Find a different church.

God doesn’t want “Lone Ranger” Christians.....

Quote:
Question: "Why is church attendance / going to church important?"

Answer: The Bible tells us we need to attend church so we can worship God with other believers and be taught His Word for our spiritual growth. The early church “devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer” (Acts 2:42). We should follow that example of devotion—and to the same things. Back then, they had no designated church building, but “every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts” (Acts 2:46). Wherever the meeting takes place, believers thrive on fellowship with other believers and the teaching of God’s Word.

Church attendance is not just a “good suggestion”; it is God’s will for believers. Hebrews 10:25 says we should “not [be] giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” Even in the early church, some were falling into the bad habit of not meeting with other believers. The author of Hebrews says that’s not the way to go. We need the encouragement that church attendance affords. And the approach of the end times should prompt us to be even more devoted to going to church.

Church is the place where believers can love one another (1 John 4:12), encourage one another (Hebrews 3:13), “spur” one another to love and good works (Hebrews 10:24), serve one another (Galatians 5:13), instruct one another (Romans 15:14), honor one another (Romans 12:10), and be kind and compassionate to one another (Ephesians 4:32).

When a person trusts Jesus Christ for salvation, he or she is made a member of the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:27). For a church body to function properly, all of its “body parts” need to be present and working (1 Corinthians 12:14–20). It’s not enough to just attend a church; we should be involved in some type of ministry to others, using the spiritual gifts God has given us (Ephesians 4:11–13). A believer will never reach full spiritual maturity without having that outlet for his gifts, and we all need the assistance and encouragement of other believers (1 Corinthians 12:21–26).

For these reasons and more, church attendance, participation, and fellowship should be regular aspects of a believer's life. Weekly church attendance is in no sense “required” for believers, but someone who belongs to Christ should have a desire to worship God, receive His Word, and fellowship with other believers.

Jesus is the Cornerstone of the Church (1 Peter 2:6), and we are “like living stones . . . being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ” (1 Peter 2:5). As the building materials of God’s “spiritual house,” we naturally have a connection with one another, and that connection is evident every time the Church “goes to church.”

https://www.gotquestions.org/church-attendance.html

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

-🏌️🏌️🏌️
Old 11-28-2017, 3:16 AM

Every week we attend to participate in the sacrament. Faith without works is dead, so just believing isn't enough

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 11-28-2017, 4:54 AM

I have found that my relationship with Jesus Christ is richer when shared with others.
My church is small, but it is truly a family, so for me Sundays are the days I charge my batteries for the week and are rarely missed.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:40 AM

Thanks to all for your input. It has really helped to clarify my perspective. We'll be moving to Utah soon so I'll have to find a good Christian church in the area which isn't Mormon. Hopefully there are a decent amount.

Old 11-29-2017, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all for your input. It has really helped to clarify my perspective. We'll be moving to Utah soon so I'll have to find a good Christian church in the area which isn't Mormon. Hopefully there are a decent amount.

They're around.
Old 11-29-2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
There's a church I walk by every morning when I'm taking my son for a walk, and every time I think about it, I wonder in the back of my mind if I'm wrong by not going regularly. I do know every time I go it's a great experience, and I feel great when I leave.
Sounds like someone/thing is telling you something brother.

Maybe a good idea to walk down there Sunday and see how you like it.
No reason to wait for Utah.

"and I feel great when I leave"!

Best
caveman
Old 11-30-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemanlrrp View Post
Sounds like someone/thing is telling you something brother.

Maybe a good idea to walk down there Sunday and see how you like it.
No reason to wait for Utah.

"and I feel great when I leave"!

Best
caveman
That’s the work of the Holy Spirit calling you brother.

Matthew 7:7-8 (NIV)
”Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8-For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

My views:

-Life member, NRA
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

-🏌️🏌️🏌️
Old 12-01-2017, 4:34 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor

I go every week. But when I've missed a Sunday in the past, I didn't feel like going the following week. Then I don't feel like going again. Had to fight through that. Consumer mentality had set in: what can I get out of going?

But what I realized is that, it's what I get to give: worship God and to bless other people there.
Old 12-06-2017, 7:32 PM

If you're going to a non-denom church, you're more than likely going to one that teaches pentecostal or charismatic theology, and then I understand why you're not too thrilled to attend regularly. I go to a Reformed/Calvinist church and try hard not to miss any Sundays.
Old 12-06-2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus View Post
If you're going to a non-denom church, you're more than likely going to one that teaches pentecostal or charismatic theology, and then I understand why you're not too thrilled to attend regularly. I go to a Reformed/Calvinist church and try hard not to miss any Sundays.
Uh oh. This will go well. Sorry brother, you're gonna catch Hell for that.
Old 12-07-2017, 5:32 AM

Quote:
"more than likely" - can't agree with that. Your evidence?

Thanks,

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Old 12-07-2017, 9:11 AM

Quote:
If you're going to a non-denom church, you're more than likely going to one that teaches pentecostal or charismatic theology,
^^^Sadly, this is a pretty accurate statement. Many people going to churches these days have no clue what their own “religious church” doctrine is, let alone what their preachers at the pulpit are professing.

Personally I disagree with the Pentecostal claims of Trinity-denial, speaking in tongues, their individual abilitiy of “Devine healing” and non water Baptism. However some Pentecostals on the other hand do believe in the Triune God. They seem to be split from within their own ranks when it comes to the trinity.

On the other hand, there are many non-denom churches that do NOT adhere to the Pentecostal nor “oneness Pentecostal” movements. A person must dig deep, looking within their own church to see what the actual core values of that church truly are.

We must “...beware of false prophets and ......we will know them by their fruits....” (Matthew 7:15-20)

We must: "Test all things (in light of scripture) and hold fast to what is good. Abstain from every form of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:21-22)

My views:

-Life member, NRA
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

-🏌️🏌️🏌️
Old 12-07-2017, 6:24 PM

Church shopping is more difficult than you think and just walking into a church you have no idea about is a bad idea in my opinion.

There are a lot of churches out there that flat out don't follow the Bible and/or attempt to add or take away from it. Do your homework, check their statement of beliefs and bylaws and speak to the elders/pastor. Also a glance at the bylaws is a great idea. If they balk at any of this, find the door.

My church is First Christian in Suisun City and I go regularly. In my opinion you'd be better off attending a good Bible Church rather than going it alone, and others have posted some biblical references speaking to that.
Old 12-07-2017, 6:37 PM

I went through a similar scenario as yourself. I ended just not going ever. It took a girlfriend of mine to get back in to church and at first I felt uncomfortable. After a while it got easier and now I truly miss not going to church. If I do miss a Sunday (I work weekends now) I always download the message and listen to it at the gym. I had to find a church I really liked to get me involved more and now I wish I could more. I too am non denominational Christian, Hope that helps. Good luck with your search for the right gym.

WTB
S&W 627 PC**
Howa 1500 300wm**
Beretta A400 Xcel**
1911 Commander in 9mm**
M&P 9c 2.0
.357 Marlin 1894 Lever action**
Maroku .357 lever action**
Old 12-08-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
There are a lot of churches out there that flat out don't follow the Bible and/or attempt to add or take away from it.
...You mean kinda like how the Pope just came out saying that from the 1611 KJV to more recent translations of the Bible, that the Lord’s Prayer is now WRONG?

He said that Matthew 6:9-13 needs to be changed. Specifically vs. 13.

FAIL

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...rayer.amp.html

My views:

-Life member, NRA
-Trump.
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

-🏌️🏌️🏌️
Old 12-08-2017, 1:54 AM
Calguns Addict

When I was a kid, pre-teen I was pretty hyperactive.
We went to Catholic Church and every Sunday after Church mom got out the belt and beat the hell out of me for "Not being still in Church"

As an adult going to church on Sunday is not a high priority to me.

It is however for my wife so I try to accompany her every few Sundays.

I do volunteer at the Church a couple days a week, just not in Sunday service.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 12-08-2017, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
When I was a kid, pre-teen I was pretty hyperactive.
We went to Catholic Church and every Sunday after Church mom got out the belt and beat the hell out of me for "Not being still in Church"

As an adult going to church on Sunday is not a high priority to me.

It is however for my wife so I try to accompany her every few Sundays.

I do volunteer at the Church a couple days a week, just not in Sunday service.
Sorry to hear about that experience. While I'm glad you are attending and helping out, do you actually believe friend?
Old 12-09-2017, 8:52 AM

I go every week. I became the drummer for the praise and worship band but if I’m not drumming I’m the sound guy. I love volunteering and using my skills for Jesus to help His church get into worship. I noticed when I started giving more time to church i’ve been having more temptations to fall into sin. So prayers are more than welcomed