Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-27-2017, 8:58 AM

ok...after reading through 4 pages of posts I have 1 key question that's not clear to me.

For the "date acquired" requirement.

1. Is this the date you paid for the firearm? (think out of state purchase where FFL ships to FFL).

2. The date the DROS paperwork was submitted, CA sales tax paid for, etc?

3. Date when you actually picked the firearm up from the FFL?

I'm pretty sure its #2, but again...not 100% clear.

thank you for the anticipated feedback calgunners!
Old 09-27-2017, 9:13 AM

My experience: I was not able to complete the registration using Microsoft's Edge browser. I cleared the entire form 3 times and started from scratch, each time I would receive an error to enter the serial number for the rifle. I checked every time and the serial was entered correctly and both entries matched. I'd erase the serial entry on both entries and retype the serials, no go. I was able to finally submit the form with Firefox without issue.

Last edited by Nvidkiller; 09-27-2017 at 9:16 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbubu View Post
ok...after reading through 4 pages of posts I have 1 key question that's not clear to me.

1. Is this the date you paid for the firearm? (think out of state purchase where FFL ships to FFL).

Correct #2
Old 09-27-2017, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbubu View Post

It's probably #2. My submissions went through and I put the day I bought them as day acquired. That is also the DROS date for me.
Old 09-27-2017, 9:32 AM
Not a mod or lawyer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS View Post
It's probably #2. My submissions went through and I put the day I bought them as day acquired. That is also the DROS date for me.
They "went through"? You mean they just haven't been bounced back, or that you actually received your registration letter?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
They "went through"? You mean they just haven't been bounced back, or that you actually received your registration letter?
Sorry.... Meaning I got the emails that basically say, "you're request is received and is being processed. You will be notified of results by mail"
From what Ive seen here and experienced so far, if there's any issues with your submission, they bounce it back and send you an email stating why and you have to go back and fix it and re submit.
If they don't find anything wrong with it, you get an email saying your request is being processed and will be notified of results by mail.

EDIT:
For example, when they kicked my submissions back initially, I got emails like this explaining the discrepancy and instructing me to go back and fix it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOJ
From: bofcris@doj.ca.gov To:EMAIL@EMAIL.COM Subject: California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) Incomplete Notice First Middle Last 1234 SMITH WAY ANYTOWN CA 90000 Gun Make: CMMG, INC. Gun Model: MK3 Gun Caliber: .308 Winchester Serial #: 123456789 The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration; however, it cannot be processed for the following reason(s):

Thank you for submitting your application. The weapon appears to be manufactured by CMMG, Inc. Please update your application to reflect that this is not a self-built firearm.

The information requested should be submitted by logging into the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov and selecting "My Transaction History". If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application.
After going back in and fixing the discrepancy and resubmitting, I got this email 2 weeks later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOJ
From: bofcris@doj.ca.gov To:EMAIL@EMAIL.COM Subject: California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) Incomplete Notice First Middle Last 1234 SMITH WAY ANYTOWN CA 90000 Gun Make: CMMG, INC. Gun Model: MK3 Gun Caliber: .308 Winchester Serial #: 123456789 The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov. For questions regarding your account, please email the Bureau of Firearms at: bofcris@doj.ca.gov
A few other people have got the this email also. I guess we're now waiting for "results" via US Mail. Since they seem to be asking for edits before sending official results, I'm *hoping* that everything should be good to go once we get to this point. Who knows though until someone actually has a letter in hand.

Last edited by Crazed_SS; 09-27-2017 at 11:00 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Not a mod or lawyer

^ Good point, and good catch. You're probably right, that they send those "will be notified by US mail" messages after they've looked over the apps for any errors. Of course, they might still "catch" something later, but it's at least a good sign when you get that email.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:27 PM

Here's the reason my submission got rejected. At work I re-downloaded the image submitted to them, blew it up in Photoshop and resubmitted. If they reject it again, I guess I can use a DSLR camera, but seriously?

Also they rejected for not marking characteristics of Assault Weapon... but it clearly has a bullet button on it..... LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpikesPistol.jpg (91.1 KB, 119 views)
Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
Again, to avoid confusion, strip down the AR to a minimalist configuration prior to taking pictures. No sights, no optics, nothing attached to the rail, or anything else. The only thing they need is a picture of a semi-automatic rifle with a bullet button installed, in addition to whatever features are left in the minimalist configuration.

They are not enthusiasts, so take the guesswork out of the equation. For instance, don't expect them to know the difference between a flash suppressor and brake, so check flash suppressor if you have a muzzle device installed, or remove your muzzle device and install a thread protector. Your weapon does not need to be feature-rich at the time of registration.

Register, if that is in fact your decision, then reconfigure your weapon. No, you are not prohibited from adding your MBUS sights, ACOG, and forward grip following registration.

Remember, their highest priority is to make sure that there is in fact a bullet-button installed at the time of submission. Beyond that, I doubt they care how the weapon is configured.
That was my belief too, except they are stating my submission is incomplete due to unlisted features. I genuinely have no idea what they are talking about.... What a cluster...
Old 09-27-2017, 12:50 PM
Not a mod or lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh429 View Post
Here's the reason my submission got rejected. At work I re-downloaded the image submitted to them, blew it up in Photoshop and resubmitted. If they reject it again, I guess I can use a DSLR camera, but seriously?
What did they say exactly when they rejected the photo?

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 09-27-2017 at 1:04 PM..
Old 09-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Not a mod or lawyer

Quote:
Also they rejected for not marking characteristics of Assault Weapon... but it clearly has a bullet button on it..... LOL
Quote:
That was my belief too, except they are stating my submission is incomplete due to unlisted features. I genuinely have no idea what they are talking about.... What a cluster...
Your image's filename is called "SpikesPistol.jpg", so I'm guessing it's an AR pistol right?

If it's an AR pistol, you should have checked at least 2 or 3 of the pistol AW features listed on the application. A bullet button by itself is not what defines it as an AW.

-Second handgrip, maybe.
-Barrel shroud, yes.
-Magazine outside the grip, yes.
-Threaded barrel, probably yes.

That's why they wouldn't accept your application - by checking nothing, you were essentially saying it's not an AW.

Side note, I hope that Spike's lower wasn't DROS'd as a rifle receiver.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 09-27-2017 at 1:05 PM..
Old 09-27-2017, 7:06 PM
Owner - AB Prototype
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This.

What does DOJ do with registration applications that can't be processed due to legality? Just deny registration or will there be a letter stating registration is not possible?

Keep us updated on DOJ communication.

(I'm in no way implying any wrongdoing in the above situation).
www.abprototype.com
Facebook
Instagram
FFL 01
Old 09-27-2017, 7:12 PM
Not a mod or lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swell1957 View Post
This.

What does DOJ do with registration applications that can't be processed due to legality? Just deny registration or will there be a letter stating registration is not possible?

Keep us updated on DOJ communication.

(I'm in no way implying any wrongdoing in the above situation).
It could potentially result in something much worse than a letter... But hopefully nobody finds out what.
Old 09-27-2017, 8:54 PM

Quote:
What did they say exactly when they rejected the photo?
"Thank you for submitting your application. Based on the photos you provided, the make, model and/or serial number are not clearly visible. Please resubmit a clearer image. Refer to section 5474 (c) in the following regulations: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/regs/text-adopted-regulations-bullet-button.pdf"
Old 09-27-2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Your image's filename is called "SpikesPistol.jpg", so I'm guessing it's an AR pistol right?

If it's an AR pistol, you should have checked at least 2 or 3 of the pistol AW features listed on the application. A bullet button by itself is not what defines it as an AW.

-Second handgrip, maybe.
-Barrel shroud, yes.
-Magazine outside the grip, yes.
-Threaded barrel, probably yes.

That's why they wouldn't accept your application - by checking nothing, you were essentially saying it's not an AW.

Thanks for your advice! I'll go and check off those items.

The lower (whole pistol with upper actually) was DROSed as SSE pistol (one of the first!) back in 2010 or 2011 I forget. I even got to keep the sled which I understand wasn't being provided later haha.

TIA

Last edited by gh429; 09-27-2017 at 9:14 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 12:42 PM

So, I submitted my registration on 2017-11-14. And today I received an email with "Incomplete". I had incorrectly listed my AR as "Yes" for the Is this self-built. And also didn't realize for MULTI stamped lowers, you need to select "Firearm with interchangeable barrel".

I was requested to make the updates to my application.

So, I dutifully went to the my CFARS Transaction History, clicked on the registered lower, and while I can toggle the relevant change boxes, I can't get the changes to be saved. It only shows a "Back" button at the bottom (see attached screenshot), which doesn't save the changes. No "Save" or "Update" button to click??

I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that "This record is currently being viewed" notification (see attached screenshot) I see when I log into to make the edits.

Anyone have similar experience?
Old 12-07-2017, 1:53 PM

NVM, waited about 2 hours, and the "This record is currently being viewed"
notification disappeared. Then, after making the changes, a "Preview"
button appeared, which then on the Preview page a SUBMIT button appeared.
Old 12-07-2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncollector View Post
So, I submitted my registration on 2017-11-14. And today I received an email with "Incomplete". I had incorrectly listed my AR as "Yes" for the Is this self-built. And also didn't realize for MULTI stamped lowers, you need to select "Firearm with interchangeable barrel".

I was requested to make the updates to my application.

So, I dutifully went to the my CFARS Transaction History, clicked on the registered lower, and while I can toggle the relevant change boxes, I can't get the changes to be saved. It only shows a "Back" button at the bottom (see attached screenshot), which doesn't save the changes. No "Save" or "Update" button to click??

I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that "This record is currently being viewed" notification (see attached screenshot) I see when I log into to make the edits.

Anyone have similar experience?

For my spikes lower marked multi I selected 5.56 not interchangeable barrels. My registration was approved last month
Old 12-07-2017, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Interesting. Since an AR is easy to change the upper, perhaps it would make sense and have some benefit.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-07-2017, 5:33 PM

I have several to register.

Are you able to go back and register more later or do they have to be registered all at the same time.

Also how is the fee collected? By credit card? and is it per registration session or per firearm?

THANKS!
Old 12-07-2017, 6:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post

Are you able to go back and register more later or do they have to be registered all at the same time.

Also how is the fee collected? By credit card? and is it per registration session or per firearm?

THANKS!

It's like checking out on an online cart. If you do five rifles and checkout, it's 15 bucks.

If you do five on one day and checkout, then come back and do like three more, you'd pay 15 bucks again. I'd recommend doing everything at once. You pay by credit card.

Last edited by Crazed_SS; 12-07-2017 at 6:54 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyFettucini View Post
For my spikes lower marked multi I selected 5.56 not interchangeable barrels. My registration was approved last month
Same here for my AEROs and Mega..

Looks like theyre giving different guidance now and saying check "interchangeable barrels" if your lower is marked MULTI.

Whatever makes them happy I guess.
Old 12-07-2017, 6:47 PM

Default AW Registration Incomplete Registration Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post

THANKS!

You can register any amount you wish. However, each time you checkout a $15 fee will be charged.

Therefore it is best to register all your wanted firearms at once for one $15 fee.

Last edited by awiner; 12-07-2017 at 9:38 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner View Post
You can register any amount you wish. However, each time you checkout a $15 fee will be charged.

Therefore it is best to register all your wanted firearms at once for one $15 fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if you donít check out, completing the registration on different days will also force you to make multiple $15 fees. So have all your information and pictures ready and fill everything out in one session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncollector View Post
.... And also didn't realize for MULTI stamped lowers, you need to select "Firearm with interchangeable barrel".....

Wow.

It seems that what DOJ approves or rejects just depends on which DOJ monkey you get working on your registration at or after the time you submit.

Other calgunners were heeding Disco's advice and putting "Firearm with interchangeable barrel" for their "multi" marked lowers and it worked for some.

Other posters on these forums said that DOJ rejected that and made them show a pic of caliber marking on barrel and choose 5.56.

Now they just told YOU that you have to mark "Firearm with interchangeable barrels" for your "multi" marked lower?

Are they are hiring temp workers from some flunky temp service to man the assault weapon registration department?

Home depot day laborers? Ok maybe not day laborers..but Jeeze-try some competency DOJ and maybe a touch of consistency.

Some may say it's intentional and that DOJ is just making it difficult to register..and I won't argue there is most likely truth to that.

But I mean..the inconsistency from what they are telling one person to the next..plus telling people to register the gun using the wrong model name and many other stupid rejections is telling me that the people working this firearms division at DOJ(or at least some of them)really DO NOT know what they are doing and should probably just hang it up and go back to working at McDonalds.

I'm serious.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:08 PM

^^^They are probably using people where English is their fifth language. And since this is California they are illegal aliens.

do those Armour plates really stop 5.56 rounds ? what about 7.62. . . . Shoot-it

"Armor"...you're not in the UK. Google "affectation" . . . -hanko

Maybe it was to protect him from a hamgun. . . . chuckdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody;somewhere
I came into this world, kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am prepared to leave the same way.
Old 12-08-2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrian View Post
^^^They are probably using people where English is their fifth language. And since this is California they are illegal aliens.
You gotta wonder.

I mean..some supervisor-grow a brain and at least write a friggin memo and distribute to everybody or something.
Wouldn't take a whole lot more time than typing this post.

"Dear fellow DOJ Lackeys-when registering a multi marked lower-only accept interchangeable barrels as the option.

OR "Dear fellow DOJ Lackeys-when registering a multi marked lower-only accept the caliber marking on the barrel(and notify gun owner to provide photo of caliber marking).

One or the other!

And also-none of this BS!

"Vern-you tell all the gun owners their rifle should be called an M4-no matter what they are trying to call it".
Except on Wednesdays".

"And Steve-you tell people to resubmit their photos...with a ham sandwich next to the rifle.
Don't forget to cite the P.C."

The result a gun owner gets registering shouldn't depend on which way the wind is blowing that day.

I mean I'm waiting a bit before registering,but reading these threads is frustrating as I'm seeing so many different results and problems potential registrants are getting-registering the same type of firearm.

Department is either not trained, or run by cretins, or just being ordered to troll gun owners-not sure.

Maybe all of the above.