Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
That's going to depend entirely on what upper you put on it. The complete Monte Carlo lower from the factory weighs 2 pounds 8 ounces exactly.
I know that. But with all the different builds we are bound to have different uses and weights. Mine is a pig at 8lbs with a SBR 18” barrel a magizine and red dot.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Picker View Post
I’ve decided to live with it. I will 100% not be buying another Gibbz upper.
I was just about to pull the trigger and buy the Gibbz or the NFA upper. Was looking at Matrix , but don't like the forward assist + I need the ejection port to be large enough for 458 socom.
Any other options out there for sub $300?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2017, 11:08 AM

In response to the question about weight, mine comes in a bit under 7 pounds, that's with a loaded 10 round mag.
It feels lighter than that.
I really like the thin wrist and overall length. I can easily hold it down at my side with one hand and the muzzle is well clear of the ground.

Last edited by ezb57; 10-24-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Old 10-24-2017, 12:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

^
What kind of brake is that?
Old 10-24-2017, 2:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice weight on that one. My SCR is around that with a light upper IIRC... cannot beat a Kel SU-16 at under 5 pounds though... unless you want something you can't break in half over your knee hahah.
Old 10-24-2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
^
What kind of brake is that?
Its not a brake, its a thread protector. I had mentioned it on another thread about muzzle devices. It's from Selous Weapons Systems down in Texas.
US made very nicely, dirt cheap, looks good, doesn't look like a thread protector, and can't be construed as a flash hider.
Until the "State" publishes a list of approved devices, I feel one is tempting fate by having a compensator installed.
Here's the item on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Barrel-Thre.../232223610053?

Last edited by ezb57; 10-24-2017 at 5:00 PM..
Old 10-24-2017, 4:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

All my thread protectors cost about that or less whether checkered, smooth, or fluted IIRC.
Old 10-24-2017, 6:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezb57 View Post
Its not a brake, its a thread protector. I had mentioned it on another thread about muzzle devices. It's from Selous Weapons Systems down in Texas.
US made very nicely, dirt cheap, looks good, doesn't look like a thread protector, and can't be construed as a flash hider.
Until the "State" publishes a list of approved devices, I feel one is tempting fate by having a compensator installed.
Here's the item on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Barrel-Thre.../232223610053?
Interesting - looks almost "evil" on the gun, gives it a finished look.
Old 10-24-2017, 6:25 PM

Exactly
Old 11-21-2017, 12:25 PM

I'm getting a new upper and need to figure out sights (didn't really like the cheek weld with the fixed A2 sight on the old upper). Are the CZ Scorpions the only fixed low profile sights going? I've looked around a little and came up empty handed.

Otherwise I am on the fence going with just a red dot.
Old 11-21-2017, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmoredonuts View Post
I'm getting a new upper and need to figure out sights (didn't really like the cheek weld with the fixed A2 sight on the old upper). Are the CZ Scorpions the only fixed low profile sights going? I've looked around a little and came up empty handed.

Otherwise I am on the fence going with just a red dot.
I did not find any other good option. I went red dot only. 50K hours with a cheap PA red dot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2017, 2:43 PM

I was kinda thinking these LPA sights in a pinch, but they're for shotgun, and only one aperture on the rear :/

Old 11-30-2017, 12:15 PM

In the midst of re-configuring my upper/sights etc. I am thinking I might need to get an extended mag release button. I'll have to check again, but I am pretty sure that my finger doesn't come even close to the stock mag release. I have normal, non stubby hands/fingers.

Most of what I see on the market doesn't look like these extensions actually extend far back enough closer to the natural position of where your finger would be. Anybody else experienced this?

It kind of seems like a design flaw, or at least something SCR would make available as another expensive add on part (bolt catch anybody?)
Old 11-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
In the midst of re-configuring my upper/sights etc. I am thinking I might need to get an extended mag release button. I'll have to check again, but I am pretty sure that my finger doesn't come even close to the stock mag release. I have normal, non stubby hands/fingers.

Most of what I see on the market doesn't look like these extensions actually extend far back enough closer to the natural position of where your finger would be. Anybody else experienced this?

It kind of seems like a design flaw, or at least something SCR would make available as another expensive add on part (bolt catch anybody?)
It's a flaw in the design. Most people use an ambi mag release like the Norgon, Troy, or KAC. If you're a righty, you use your left hand to press and remove at the same time.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 11-30-2017, 1:07 PM

this rifle....sigh.
Old 11-30-2017, 1:31 PM

I wouldn't say flaw. I would say it is more of a design compromise

I have an ODIN Works XMR on my lower and its not even close to be reachable. I think you need an ambi release if you are going to do fast mag changes.
Old 11-30-2017, 2:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I have 4 SCRs now, I don’t even bring regular ARs to the range anymore. But they are all equipped with the bolt catch and the knights armament ambi mag release. It’s really easy to change a mag, but between the bolt catch and the ambi release I chose, it makes the rifle about $100 more.
Old 11-30-2017, 5:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

The extended magazine release does help, maybe more than would seem just by looking at the device and visualizing it on the receiver. I resisted thinking it was a waste of about $18.00 but found one for less, no shipping and bought it. It probably is a waste of $$$, as is much of what we buy, but it does make the release easier to reach.
Old 11-30-2017, 8:48 PM

There is no way that any of the extended mag releases I found for sale would help, look at where my finger lines up....it would be a good ~1 inch off target even if one was installed.

Anyway, I found a SIG M400 ambi release on Optics Planet for $16, they have a few left if anyone needs one.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Anyway, I found a SIG M400 ambi release on Optics Planet for $16, they have a few left if anyone needs one.
Thanks. Bought one. But the price went up to $21.

That's still way cheaper than the other options though.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-02-2017, 2:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

tag
Old 12-02-2017, 10:49 PM

Another option would be an Arms Unlimited mag release. Its essentially a Norgen copy made in the US but lots cheaper than Norgen. They are normally $25 but have on occasion been on sale for $20. Bonus is they dont charge shipping.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:18 AM

That SIG ambi release should be here by end of week.

In other news, I took the latest configuration to the range to function check a new upper (CBC Industries) and zero in a red dot ($40 Bushnell TRS-25 black friday special). With good ammo I could get 1" groups to sub MOA @ 25 yds. Maybe 1 to 2" max at 50, I didn't have time to try out 100.

Next up is zeroing in the scope sitting on my 10/22 for an Appleseed KD next year.

Old 12-07-2017, 1:01 AM

Quote:
I was kinda thinking these LPA sights in a pinch, but they're for shotgun, and only one aperture on the rear :/

The Troy micro battlesights might work well.