Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-29-2017, 9:25 AM

Default GET home bags

Just curious how many of you guys carry one in the car? I recently put one together in a backpack for 3 day survival in the event I (we) have to walk home from distance. I work about 45 miles from home so thought it would be prudent to have available.

Also would be interested to know what you packed? I have high calorie food bars, couple small cans of beans, knife, multi tool, first aid, portable shelters/sleep bags, rain pancho, flashlight, lighters, paracord, few glow sticks, duct tape, binoculars, portable cell phone charger, small lantern, batteries, map, lifestraw, water purification tabs, canteen, mil plate, etc... entire pack weighs probably less then 12 pounds.
Old 09-29-2017, 9:37 AM

Just a thought, I didn't see mention of a basic magnetic compass. Perhaps there is one on your multi-tool?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:36 AM

Yes, I thought about just adding a small one there but then I thought everywhere I go in So Cali, I pretty much already know what direction I am travelling and/or need to travel to. Freeways, mountains, street signs, etc...pretty simple indicators but will still probably add compass in case I have to walk off the usual routes to avoid situations.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Fortunately, I work about 13 mi. from home, but when traveling, I would be SOL anyways... reg,backpack I take to work every day.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:10 PM
CGSSA Leader

Might want to add some PPE to your bag.

Not strictly a go-bag but in my car is my CERT responder pack. It would do the job:

Light: Flashlight, headlight, clip light, chemlites, glowstick.

PPE: Hard hat, goggles, reflective vest, reflective leather gloves, stack of N95 respirators.

Gadgets: Spare keys. Small crowbar. Mechanical watch. Whistle. Windproof lighter. Spare batteries for everything in the pack. Multiple forms of ID. Sharpies, ballpoints, red china crayon. Roll of caution tape. Leatherman.

Medical: First aid kit, heavy on bandages. CPR screen. Six pairs nitrile gloves. Tweezers and shears. Ten triage tags.

Consumables: Sunscreen. Four small water bottles. Package of electrolyte. Two Clif bars.

Comms: VHF/UHF HT. GMRS Talkabout for backup. Clipboard. Waterproof pack with phone numbers and frequencies, standing orders, role cards for team assignments / messages.

We'll be drilling in full battle rattle for the Shakeout in a couple of weeks, and see what we're missing.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.

Last edited by as_rocketman; 09-29-2017 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: forgot a couple of things
Old 09-29-2017, 12:10 PM
Voted Most Ready CGN'er
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
mil plate, etc...
What's a mil plate?

Maybe add some cash, copies of identification...

eta:

GLOVES AND GLASSES like rocketman says.

Signalling? Whistle, bright orange towel (double as towel/improvised bandage/pillow/toilet paper/...)

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

Last edited by readysetgo; 09-29-2017 at 12:13 PM..
Old 09-29-2017, 12:23 PM
CGSSA Leader

In one of my other bags I have a strong laser pointer and a signal mirror for additional signaling... Got the laser pointer idea from watching the Maidan in Ukraine, tried it since, works great.

Also make sure you are prepared to plug and reinflate a tire in your car. If you've got a car that runs, that's a HUGE asset. "Don't give up the ship." But they get immobilized quickly after a disaster if you can't keep your tires in good shape.

Lifestraw is a good idea, but there won't be any water at all in the desert, clean or otherwise. I have a box of Coast Guard-approved water pouches in each of my cars. (On CERT I'm the deputy logistics chief, so if I need a Lifestraw, we're already completely screwed. )

Old 09-29-2017, 12:32 PM

I would add 1 pair of socks and a change of underwear. A small pack of wipes or toilet paper. Comfortable walking shoes if you wear dress shoes for work. Some basic first aid supplies, including latex gloves. We have now been carrying get home bags (earthquake bags) in our cars for almost 8 years and in that time the first aid equipment in my ghb has been accessed 3 times for auto accidents. One time we were the second car on the scene. Almost immediately another car with a couple pulled up. They were both EMTs but had no supplies. Both were surprised at what I was able to furnish.
Old 09-29-2017, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
What's a mil plate?

Maybe add some cash, copies of identification...

eta:

GLOVES AND GLASSES like rocketman says.

Signalling? Whistle, bright orange towel (double as towel/improvised bandage/pillow/toilet paper/...)

Mess kit -Got it from excess (no longer needed) military surplus junk. Compact enough to fit well in the pack. It was free so price was right.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Issue.../dp/B0002X0TRY
Old 09-29-2017, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
I would add 1 pair of socks and a change of underwear. A small pack of wipes or toilet paper. Comfortable walking shoes if you wear dress shoes for work. Some basic first aid supplies, including latex gloves. We have now been carrying get home bags (earthquake bags) in our cars for almost 8 years and in that time the first aid equipment in my ghb has been accessed 3 times for auto accidents. One time we were the second car on the scene. Almost immediately another car with a couple pulled up. They were both EMTs but had no supplies. Both were surprised at what I was able to furnish.

Good info thanks - a few of those items I already had but did not list
Old 09-29-2017, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post

Not strictly a go-bag but in my car is my CERT responder pack. It would do the job:

PPE: Hard hat, goggles, reflective vest, reflective leather gloves, stack of N95 respirators.

Gadgets: Spare keys. Small crowbar. Mechanical watch. Whistle. Windproof lighter. Spare batteries for everything in the pack. Multiple forms of ID. Sharpies, ballpoints, red china crayon. Roll of caution tape. Leatherman.

Medical: First aid kit, heavy on bandages. CPR screen. Six pairs nitrile gloves. Tweezers and shears. Ten triage tags.

Consumables: Sunscreen. Four small water bottles. Package of electrolyte. Two Clif bars.

Comms: VHF/UHF HT. GMRS Talkabout for backup. Clipboard. Waterproof pack with phone numbers and frequencies, standing orders, role cards for team assignments / messages.

We'll be drilling in full battle rattle for the Shakeout in a couple of weeks, and see what we're missing.

Good info....thanks...Some of those things I had not considered previously
Old 09-29-2017, 1:03 PM

Along with what you've listed, I keep some N95 masks (Drager makes great ones that lie flat), a few bottles of water as well as a nalgene or similar (maybe a collapsible), some nitrile gloves for PPE, basic meds like chewable Aspirin and glucose tablets, gloves and a beanie, esbit stove, small can opener and a basic trauma pack.
Old 09-29-2017, 1:50 PM

Quote:

I have pretty much all that except comms... pretty hard to do when you're a civi' or if you don't have a HAM lic. Though I have those little GMRS talkies at home.. maybe I should throw those in my bag.

I always say to anyone that wants to make a BOB or GHB - you need to figure out first what your specific situation is or could be.

For me, I live in the heart of the silicon valley. Bugging out is most likely NOT an option. So everything I keep in my SUV is for staying in the car if I cannot travel on foot, or for helping me walk home. If that takes 2 days so be it.

But I also keep about 24-48 hours worth of food and 2 gallons of water at all times. I have a GHB in the back of my SUV along with a small bin with other first aid, misc gear, and extra change of clothes and a sleeping bag.

In a pinch if I have to bug out via vehicle, I at least have that.

Old 09-29-2017, 1:50 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Bunch of GHB threads - the Search actually works for 'get home bag'.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-29-2017, 1:59 PM

Ten essentials/ten C's of survivability everywhere I go.
Depending on how far I travel depends on how much extra stuff I bring.

Luckily I work 7mi from home so I don't need much. But if I'm farther than 20-30 miles from home I pack accordingly. Extra clothing, temp shelter, snacks and water.
I don't pack much for food in the ghb, just water and some snacks. I can go a while without food.
Old 09-29-2017, 2:09 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletboy View Post
I have pretty much all that except comms... pretty hard to do when you're a civi' or if you don't have a HAM lic. Though I have those little GMRS talkies at home.. maybe I should throw those in my bag.
Well, you can get a Ham license... As I say in all of these threads, having the radio is useless if you don't know how to use it, and to know how to use it you have to practice.

GMRS is better than nothing. Some of our "official" channels are GMRS. But therein lies the problem -- in a real disaster we'll be firing up our repeater on one of those channels, which we are licensed to do, and we will stomp on tourist use of GMRS from the mountains to the sea. Don't rely on it being available in certain situations.

This is why you practice. Got to know these things ahead of time.

Old 09-29-2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Well, you can get a Ham license... As I say in all of these threads, having the radio is useless if you don't know how to use it, and to know how to use it you have to practice.

GMRS is better than nothing. Some of our "official" channels are GMRS. But therein lies the problem -- in a real disaster we'll be firing up our repeater on one of those channels, which we are licensed to do, and we will stomp on tourist use of GMRS from the mountains to the sea. Don't rely on it being available in certain situations.

This is why you practice. Got to know these things ahead of time.
I've looked for local classes for a HAM lic and there aren't any. And unfortunately for me the online version is during the eve's when I'm not available.... I wish there was another option.

Old 09-29-2017, 8:10 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
I've looked for local classes for a HAM lic and there aren't any. And unfortunately for me the online version is during the eve's when I'm not available.... I wish there was another option.
There's no classes "in the heart of Silicon Valley?" You're kidding, right?

Would some helpful soul point this guy to a local club? Maybe these guys?

ETA: Here, give these guys a ring: http://www.svve.org/ Wasn't hard to find...

Last edited by as_rocketman; 09-29-2017 at 8:17 PM..
Old 09-29-2017, 9:39 PM

Quote:
There's no classes "in the heart of Silicon Valley?" You're kidding, right?

Would some helpful soul point this guy to a local club? Maybe these guys?

ETA: Here, give these guys a ring: http://www.svve.org/ Wasn't hard to find...
I guess im stupid. But that first link shows no upcoming meetings. And the 2nd link is for tests only. Am I missing something... Like I said i guess im slow. But I've never been able to find an in person CLASS to prepare or learn HAM basics. Im a total newbie.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:08 PM
Covfefe Nation
CGN Contributor

Here's mine: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=862965

Almost time for me to replace the Datrex bars, and I'm a little past due on replacing the water pouches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I am NOT...anything other than a schmuck...

Last edited by gcvt; 09-29-2017 at 11:05 PM..
Old 09-29-2017, 10:29 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
I guess im stupid. But that first link shows no upcoming meetings. And the 2nd link is for tests only. Am I missing something... Like I said i guess im slow. But I've never been able to find an in person CLASS to prepare or learn HAM basics. Im a total newbie.
At the bottom of the SVVE page is a section that reads

If You Need More Information

and it lists an e-mail and a phone number of the group leader. He might be just the guy to tell you the best way to get into a class that fits your unique constraints.

Hams as a rule are eccentric, often introverted, technology-fascinated, and trend Libertarian. A lot like Calgunners. Reach out and make a new friend while you help keep the spectrum clean.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Take note of your distance and the duration of your unexpected trip.

(Distance divided by mph and you get your walk time)

In my case i expect to hump it approx 8 hrs, so I pack accordingly.
My current ghb weighs about 27lbs.
No kitchen sink required nor other unnecessary items. I love my back.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-01-2017, 10:44 AM

Lots of good suggestions plus lots of others online just for the asking. My most important recommendation is good footwear. I don’t mean comfortable walking shoes either. If you are so stranded that you need your GHB then it means your walking out. You may have to leave the paved roads. Pack good broken in hiking footwear not something you just bought new.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:32 AM

I suggest you put that back on and go for three hour walk. You are going to find that you will need to shed some weight.
Remember the formula.
Weight = ounces
Ounces= pounds
Pounds=pain

I have high calorie food bars, ok. Good
couple small cans of beans,- get mre packs. No tin - no weight
knife, ok
multi tool - better if it had the knife on it. One tool
first aid, — debatable but understandable. Tensor bandage is a must
Nothing more than for your self. Your not burning your supplies to render aid. Your job is to get home.
If your walking home? Do you think Ems is coming for that chest clutching person? Or the trapped person ? Unlikely
Even then. Higher level of care is not in your means.
GET HOME means Get Home.

portable shelters/sleep bags, - just get bivey bag and a wool blanket far less weight
rain pancho, -couldn’t this double as your shelter or sleeping bag?
flashlight, lighters, paracord, - yes good
few glow sticks, duct tape, - ok
binoculars - lose.
portable cell phone charger - I guess
, small lantern, - lose
batteries,- for what the lantern ?
map,- must with a compass.
lifestraw, water purification tabs, - double duty but
canteen, - camel bag better
mil plate, - lose. Eat out of the package
entire pack weighs probably less then 12 pounds. - did you actually weigh it. ???

Pair or two of socks
Pair of gloves.
A towel Use as a head cover face cover. Spare undies if you **** yourself.

Last edited by Lebaneseblonde; 11-01-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Old 11-01-2017, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

Water. I would not count on being able to find it, or it being potable. Cycle it out every month or two. Also, cash in small bills, say a stack of $5's. If things are bad enough your walking 3 days, your probably going to run across people you can buy supplies off of.
Old 11-02-2017, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebaneseblonde View Post
I suggest you put that back on and go for three hour walk. You are going to find that you will need to shed some weight.
Remember the formula.
Weight = ounces
Ounces= pounds
Pounds=pain

I have high calorie food bars, ok. Good
couple small cans of beans,- get mre packs. No tin - no weight
knife, ok
multi tool - better if it had the knife on it. One tool
first aid, — debatable but understandable. Tensor bandage is a must
Nothing more than for your self. Your not burning your supplies to render aid. Your job is to get home.
If your walking home? Do you think Ems is coming for that chest clutching person? Or the trapped person ? Unlikely
Even then. Higher level of care is not in your means.
GET HOME means Get Home.

portable shelters/sleep bags, - just get bivey bag and a wool blanket far less weight
rain pancho, -couldn’t this double as your shelter or sleeping bag?
flashlight, lighters, paracord, - yes good
few glow sticks, duct tape, - ok
binoculars - lose.
portable cell phone charger - I guess
, small lantern, - lose
batteries,- for what the lantern ?
map,- must with a compass.
lifestraw, water purification tabs, - double duty but
canteen, - camel bag better
mil plate, - lose. Eat out of the package
entire pack weighs probably less then 12 pounds. - did you actually weigh it. ???

Pair or two of socks
Pair of gloves.
A towel Use as a head cover face cover. Spare undies if you **** yourself.
Good suggestions.

Substitute flashlight with LED headlamp. Get one with red LED option to preserve your night vision. This frees both hands which can be useful in many ways (climbing over rubble, working on a vehicle to get it going, riding a bike, etc).

Couple of N95 masks good idea. Smoke and dust. Also prevents airborne infection if that's a concern.

Do you carry a huge Rambo survival knife? One of these small retractable blade razor knives from the hardware store will do a lot of cutting at 1/10 the weight. Most multitools have a blade but cutting is so important a bit of redundancy is needed. And sometimes you have to use 2 tools at once. Knife is probably most common so that's your point for redundancy.

I don't think you need latex gloves in a GHB but if you store medical gloves make them nitrile not latex. The latex degrades in a few months and become useless. I've had nitrile for years now, no issue so far. Harbor Freight sells good quality at very reasonable prices.

Small "travel" size talc. Prevents blisters and chafing. Don't underestimate the value of this. Also keep with (not in) the pack a pair of sturdy, well-fitting, well-broken in walking shoes. If SHTF you can be sure it will happen at the most inconvenient time... such as the day you dressed up for a job interview, a wedding, or other formal occasion... and happen to be wearing the least-practical shoes you own for a 40+ mile forced march.

Last edited by bruss01; 11-02-2017 at 3:17 PM..
Old 11-04-2017, 6:31 PM

Only thing I haven't seen mentioned (sorry if I missed it) is a silcock key. If you're moving through anywhere with industrial/commercial buildings, they are a great source of water- even if the taps aren't running you can usually still get a decent flow from a building for a little H2O.

silcock key

Old 11-04-2017, 7:44 PM
No Prisoners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
Just curious how many of you guys carry one in the car? I recently put one together in a backpack for 3 day survival in the event I (we) have to walk home from distance. I work about 45 miles from home so thought it would be prudent to have available.

Also would be interested to know what you packed? I have high calorie food bars, couple small cans of beans, knife, multi tool, first aid, portable shelters/sleep bags, rain pancho, flashlight, lighters, paracord, few glow sticks, duct tape, binoculars, portable cell phone charger, small lantern, batteries, map, lifestraw, water purification tabs, canteen, mil plate, etc... entire pack weighs probably less then 12 pounds.
Looks like you have a pretty good list, a lot like mine. I use the same kit when I go skiing or to the mountains too.

Here are my additions/changes to your list:

- Pack with Level 2a armor panel in back.
- Roll of 1" Gorilla tape (same as your duct tape, but 1 inch wide)
- Stainless steel Wide Mouth bottle that I can cook in, heat or store water in.
- A plastic water bottle
- A couple of bags of Mountain House in addition to high calorie bars.
- A 7-9" high quality fixed blade camping/self defense knife
- Silky saw
- A poncho, water proof pants and jacket
- Two Heavy Duty contractor bags (garbage bags).
- Extra batteries
- Socks
- Med kit
- Hat
- Compass
- Vaseline soaked cotton balls
- Head Lamp
- I Always keep a blanket and a jacket in the car

EDIT: I just remembered...a shemagh. They are really useful and only 10-$15 at Amazon. Also a fire steel, hand sanitizer, and TP.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-04-2017 at 7:54 PM..
Old 11-04-2017, 7:45 PM
No Prisoners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfinger View Post
Only thing I haven't seen mentioned (sorry if I missed it) is a silcock key. If you're moving through anywhere with industrial/commercial buildings, they are a great source of water- even if the taps aren't running you can usually still get a decent flow from a building for a little H2O.

silcock key

Thats a very good idea.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 AM

Beanie, light sweatshirt, gloves, 3 liters of water, high carb snacks, rain pancho, travel size wet wipes, two large construction weight garbage bags, compass, headlight, glowsticks (3) socks, 10 zipties, duct tape, safety glasses. Fiskars hatchet, basic first aid/trauma, all in the bag. In addition, I have a large first aid/trauma kit, leatherman wave with all the bits, fallkniven s1, compact 9mm, N and S Ca topo map books, 24" demo bar, and a host of tools and extra clothing layers in my truck at all times. Working in SF Bay area often in excess of 60 miles from home, my plan is to go as far as I can in my truck, then on foot only if unable to get around any blockages. My main plan is for a large earthquake. The Loma Prieta quake dropped bridges, power lines and a few buildings in Watsonville and it took me over an hour to get home 7 miles away. I was working as areserve FF at the time, and infrasyructure was a mess for quite awhile. Keep your vehicles fueled, and your meds backed up if you need them. I've also considered a 10/22 breakdown, but the extra weight/bulk is a concern.
Old 11-06-2017, 1:49 PM

Quote:

silcock key

Great suggestion...thanks
Old 11-06-2017, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Looks like you have a pretty good list, a lot like mine. I use the same kit when I go skiing or to the mountains too.

Here are my additions/changes to your list:

- Pack with Level 2a armor panel in back.
- Roll of 1" Gorilla tape (same as your duct tape, but 1 inch wide)
- Stainless steel Wide Mouth bottle that I can cook in, heat or store water in.
- A plastic water bottle
- A couple of bags of Mountain House in addition to high calorie bars.
- A 7-9" high quality fixed blade camping/self defense knife
- Silky saw
- A poncho, water proof pants and jacket
- Two Heavy Duty contractor bags (garbage bags).
- Extra batteries
- Socks
- Med kit
- Hat
- Compass
- Vaseline soaked cotton balls
- Head Lamp
- I Always keep a blanket and a jacket in the car

EDIT: I just remembered...a shemagh. They are really useful and only 10-$15 at Amazon. Also a fire steel, hand sanitizer, and TP.

Yes overall we are almost the same as far as contents. I just added this little folding stove. It is the size of your hand and weighs just a few ounces.

https://www.amazon.com/Esbit-Ultrali...M57PQ93EW9K5HV
Old 11-06-2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:

silcock key

have them in my go bags. They do come in handy. Use one when I worked at ground zero
Glock 23 with Buffalo Bore on the hip.
Old 11-08-2017, 3:03 PM

how do you charge your phone I use...https://www.walmart.com/ip/X-DRAGON-...Ah-Power-Bank-