Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-25-2018, 5:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Default BAD ESN used tablet?

With T-Mobile, I have tethering included, so I will probably never drop a SIM in a tablet, and I see pretty-good deals on BAD ESN tablets.

Anyone buy bad ESN tablets and tether this way, WiFi only?

Good luck, bad luck?

Please advise.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:09 PM

Isn't the usual reason the IMEI/ESN is burned is because the device was stolen or used illicitly?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 PM

Some devices once hooked to any internet notifies service providers its bad and will freeze account

Building a 1911 with a rock in a Cavehttp://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=957081
Old 03-25-2018, 4:14 PM

T-mobile tethering is slow. I bought an international samsung tab 3 and put a sim in it from an extra phone on my account. Since it is a phone sim and not a tablet sim in their database slows your speed to a crawl. Same with tethering. The tethering is next to useless unless you pay them a fee for upgraded tethering.

Be careful with a "bad ESN". If it's bad because the device is stolen it may phone home and you may get a knock on your door from the local PD. Or the manufacturer may kill it. But then again it may work. A toss of the dice.
Old 03-25-2018, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
T-mobile tethering is slow. I bought an international samsung tab 3 and put a sim in it from an extra phone on my account. Since it is a phone sim and not a tablet sim in their database slows your speed to a crawl. Same with tethering. The tethering is next to useless unless you pay them a fee for upgraded tethering.

Be careful with a "bad ESN". If it's bad because the device is stolen it may phone home and you may get a knock on your door from the local PD. Or the manufacturer may kill it. But then again it may work. A toss of the dice.
Just tested WIFI tether from my house, and that got me 20/5, and 17.4/4.75 on 2 different servers. That is good enough for an ssh tunnel with running RDP over it, and pushing and pulling files... not to mention great for checking Tdameritrade at work. I will admit, Data speeds in Temecula can Suck, where they get their wires crossed, and give higher up than down (like 1.5/12).

Last edited by the86d; 03-26-2018 at 3:17 AM..
Old 03-25-2018, 5:05 PM

^ I have T-Mo One+ for two phones and the primary line's hotspot is unlimited. I get full 70Mb/s speeds on average to my laptop when tethered.

I don't think it's T-Mo's fault that your Intl tablet is slow. Did you check which bands are in common with the provider? You may only be running on a compatibility band and your data access is slower due to limited bandwidth.
Old 03-25-2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
^ I have T-Mo One+ for two phones and the primary line's hotspot is unlimited. I get full 70Mb/s speeds on average to my laptop when tethered.

I don't think it's T-Mo's fault that your Intl tablet is slow. Did you check which bands are in common with the provider? You may only be running on a compatibility band and your data access is slower due to limited bandwidth.
Try running it without One+. That is what I meant by saying you had to pay for faster service. All of the phones, tablets and computers I've tethered to without paying for upgraded speed have been slow. The brands I've tried are Apple, HP, Dell, Samsung (both international and US) ASUS, Amazon and Acer.
Old 03-25-2018, 5:55 PM

Gotcha. Yes, I do remember something about hotspot on the other plans now.

One+ seems to be pretty good, full HD streaming (VPN HD streaming doesn't need their retarded DayPass), unlimited data, access to Digits, VM to text and free Gogo internet on flights.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 03-25-2018 at 5:58 PM..
Old 03-25-2018, 8:25 PM

I wish I would have added the One + when it was offered for $5 extra. That would be worth it to me. Last I checked it was $20 per line.
Old 03-26-2018, 3:39 AM
Calguns Addict

I really can't complain about T-Mobile's tethering speeds, as I have used it when traveling, Hotels, while at lunch, at my desk, when at the airport, etc. all with few issues.

When I am only paying ~$120 for 4 lines on a grandfathered plan, and never any overages, it is pretty-good. 4GB per line (3GB that is extended for loyalty?) is all I need. With ~1.5GB used for all 4 of my lines (right now), and I still have a few days left until it resets... no real problems here.

I have noticed that it works better when I use 5GHz WiFi tethering, due to less interference (with 2.4GHz WiFi really only having 3 usable channels, as those 3 channels are usually pretty saturated these days, everywhere, especially in a Hilton Garden).

I need to get me an AC tablet, to support 5GHz (as 802.11N doesn't officially require 5GHz support).

Gorn, are you using 5GHz WiFi tethering, or 2.4GHz?
Old 03-26-2018, 6:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you never want to be able to use a sim card and youre okay with your tethering speeds you should be good to go
Old 03-26-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Gorn, are you using 5GHz WiFi tethering, or 2.4GHz?
I'm not sure which is used by my phones. Never looked that close at it. I just turn on the hotspot function on the iPhone and the Samsung. But I have tried it when I was in areas with no 2.4g interference. Like camping on a mountain with nothing around me.
Old 04-03-2018, 4:07 AM
Calguns Addict

I did buy a used phone to try this certain model at a hell of a discount.

Turns out the phone was most likely stolen, and would not allow my to even drop my Gmail account in, as it was asking for the prior owner's login, even after a factory reset. My SIM was dropped in prior to "trying" to activate, but I never got a knock at the door.

The eBay seller kept saying "AS-IS", but stated the phone was fully functional in the listing. Needless to say I did get a refund (minus shipping back), due to buyer protection and false advertising, and shipped that beast back.
Old 04-03-2018, 8:42 AM

Knowingly receiving stolen property is a crime:

CA Penal Code 496 - https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...sectionNum=496.

eBay may get a pass because they are unable to verify their sellers information, but if the IMEI is listed in the Vendor's DB as stolen, you can be arrested under the above statute.

Be careful. If you suspect it isn't legit, steer clear.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 04-03-2018 at 8:45 AM..
Old 04-05-2018, 4:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure which is used by my phones. Never looked that close at it. I just turn on the hotspot function on the iPhone and the Samsung. But I have tried it when I was in areas with no 2.4g interference. Like camping on a mountain with nothing around me.
Just curious what your signal strength was, and if it said 4g (I don't know if iPhruity devices say 4G, as I have never owned anything past 1st gen, and gave said useless-device away, and now they are collector's items ).
On Android devices, the default is 2.4GHZ, but you can switch it in the Tethering options, but I am not sure if this is even relevant in the sticks (w/no interference).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
Knowingly receiving stolen property is a crime:
Copy, we (here on CGN) typically know the law better than the Gen-Pop, and I had the listing as proof I bought it w/out prior knowledge, if it was hot...

Last edited by the86d; 04-05-2018 at 4:33 AM..
Old 04-05-2018, 4:58 AM
Veteran Member

"Knowingly" is the key word. Buying a false listing is not knowing. Not a crime.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 04-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Just curious what your signal strength was, and if it said 4g (I don't know if iPhruity devices say 4G, as I have never owned anything past 1st gen, and gave said useless-device away, and now they are collector's items ).
On Android devices, the default is 2.4GHZ, but you can switch it in the Tethering options, but I am not sure if this is even relevant in the sticks (w/no interference).
My signal strength didn't change the tethering speed at all. I've have full signal and low signal. Not a difference in the speed. Without the speed upgrade charge they neuter it on the tower side. I'm not sure I've ever seen a 4G identifier. My apple phone doesn't show anything. My samsung I believe shows LTE but I'm not positive on that as I rarely use that phone.
Old 04-08-2018, 6:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...I've ever seen a 4G identifier. My apple phone doesn't show anything....
Yet, one more reason, not to mention the ones Richard Stallman mentions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfrYOWlKJ_g

I did get a new 802.11AC 5GHZ supporting tablet, as at work there is a lot of interference from people watching Netflix on the company's guest Wifi, and this would also be helpful in hotels such as Hiltons that saturate 2.4Gig channels. 2.4GHZ is almost unusable most of the time (except early in the morning before the sun rises) in these hotels. I have even had issues with tethering 2.4ghz to my phone, due to all the traffic at these places. I normally just plug in to the wired pipe in the room (if one exists) with a 802.11N router and use 5GHZ for streaming on a Roku when traveling. I agree to terms once, and all devices work w/out agree on each, as all traffic comes from the router, and now my NEW, faster tablet will have better speeds too.

Just did a search for an iPad mini 2 8", and the lowest I could find one of these planned obsolescence devices for, NEW was $300 BEFORE TAX,
2048x1536, 1GB RAM (1/2 of my new tablet), DUAL-CORE 1.3GHz ARMv8 CPU, quad GPU, 32GB, NO MicroSD, 5MP and 1.2MP cams, 4,800 mAh batt.
Comparing specs...
LG G Pad X 8.0" V520 32GB Wi-Fi w/5GHZ supported, NIB= <$145, after tax.:
1920x1200, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon Octa-core (1.5 GHz x 4 CPU + 1.2 GHz x 4 GPU?), MicroSD slot, 8MP and 5MP cams, 6,470 mah batt

Seems like the Status Symbol is less tech for double+ the price. I did have to scour a few sites for the info (correct me on any wrong iPad Mini 2 specs), but seemed much better deal with Android, 2x the device over all (RAM, CPU, MicroSD slot, better camera set, bigger battery), and no proprietary connectors, no proprietary software required to drop music of videos on it...

I didn't want to dig into the even more expensive iPad Mini 3, or 4 specs, at even higher prices... with about the same cameras.
The PPI is higher on the Apple devices, but I don't play games on my Android tablets, they are for reading actual words.

Last edited by the86d; 04-08-2018 at 8:25 AM..
Old 04-11-2018, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

The immediate response times would have me recommend upgrading to an inexpensive, yet not new tech tablet, if you have any delays or lag in response with an old BUOR (beat up old rig)... WELL WORTH <$150, and it's nice not waiting a few seconds+ every time you try to do something.

It's like upgrading to an SSD from a platter drive on a desktop or laptop.

I swear this will give me an hour of my life back, every week.
MOAR Calguns...

Last edited by the86d; 04-12-2018 at 3:27 AM..
Old 05-21-2018, 3:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My signal strength didn't change the tethering speed at all. I've have full signal and low signal. Not a difference in the speed. Without the speed upgrade charge they neuter it on the tower side. I'm not sure I've ever seen a 4G identifier. My apple phone doesn't show anything. My samsung I believe shows LTE but I'm not positive on that as I rarely use that phone.
Gorn, are you on the newer T-Mobile ONE plan, or a grandfathered Simple Choice plan?

I just read that the T-Mobile ONE plans throttle at .5Mbps MAX by default, and I am on the grandfathered Simple Choice plan, so that might be the speed difference.
I get full tether speeds that my phone is getting when tethering on the Simple Choice grandfathered plan.

Let me know, as I am curious... as I do not see which plan you are on mentioned above.

Last edited by the86d; 05-21-2018 at 3:42 AM..
Old 05-21-2018, 11:28 AM

I think i'm on the One plan. So that would make sense. I have only been with T mobile for a little over a year. I just couldn't take AT&T anymore.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:31 PM

OP, in theory the device will run just fine via Wifi.

Myself, like a few that have posted here are on a grandfathered plan. True unlimited FTW.
Old 05-30-2018, 3:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, it doesn't make since for me to "upgrade" from Simple Choice to a T-Mobile ONE plan, if only to drop tethering to 500Kbps, as I never hit the throttle-me cap of 2.5GB (used to be 4GB, for "loyalty", but that looks like it went away).

Even with the .mil vet discount they are pushing right now (4 lines for about $100/month), it would be the same price I am paying, but with tethering capped to 500Kbps (.5Mbps). I just did a speedtest here at home, and just got 105Mbps/20.8Mbps (fastest test I've seen yet), and tethering speed usually seems to keep pace with phone data speeds, especially with 5GHz tethering (less interference than 2.4GHz).

EDIT: AS I WAS, it looks like I still am on the 4GB loyalty hookup, it is just not on the "plan" page anymore, and Pandora streaming doen't count against data:

An added benefit to my bill is due to my volunteering to be on-call at work, and because I use my personal cell, they kick-back $50/month toward my cell-bill +additional OT. So essentially I am really only paying about $60/month for 4 lines, so I really need >500Kbps data when tethering because of this. The only drawback is I can't really drink 50% of the year, but I've cut back in the years since I made purchases that qualified me start reading on CalGuns anyway.

Last edited by the86d; 05-30-2018 at 3:39 AM..