Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 07-07-2018, 4:11 PM
Formerly Gecko45
CGN Contributor

Default I phone x or samsung 9s?

I'm sorry if this has been done to death. I don't follow tech circles all that much so please have patience with me.

It's time for a new phone and I wonder which to get. I have used Samsung devices since I switched from Nokia 16 years ago. I have no complaints except certain updates that had to be corrected. Everyone is telling me to switch over to iphone, that I'll never look back, so on and so on.

So my question is two-fold: 1) of the two, iphone x or samsung 9, which did you choose? Why? And 2) of those who switched from android to iphone os, what apps or functions did you find most different, hard to get used to, or miss?

I don't want this to turn in to fanboy against fanboy, glock vs 1911, ak vs ar etc... just share your experience, your decision, and thanks for any help!!!
Mark 16:16

Last edited by WASR10; 07-07-2018 at 4:14 PM..
Old 07-07-2018, 4:19 PM
Vtd Most Likely to Secede
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Was just reading a bit about Iphone X. Some articles were saying to wait until September for a new release.

My wife and kids have iphones, I have a knock off Android, use to have iphone 4. Iphone is pretty intuitive, shouldn't be hard to learn on.
Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

Old 07-07-2018, 5:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

tag
Old 07-07-2018, 5:58 PM

Samsung makes great TVs. Phones ? Not so much. I am a former owner and switched to Apple about 8 years ago. I don’t care about a million features or space.

I have an iPhone X and haven’t had issues and I received mine in November of 2017. I owned a 5 and 6+ and only issue I had was with the battery. That’s been the only negative for me for iPhones. I have a 75 inch curved Samsung TV and it’s great. That’s as far as I would go with Samsung. Had a few poor experiences and poor customer service and that’s all I needdd to jump ship.

I would wait for the new IPhone X coming in September. There are suppose to new ones that are going to be more affordable and not $1000.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015

ďAn assualt rifle by definition is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. A semiautomatic Ar15/Ak47 type firearm with a standard magazine release is not considered an assualt rifleĒ......Paul LePage, Maine State Governor

Last edited by Endless; 07-07-2018 at 6:02 PM..
Old 07-07-2018, 9:27 PM

Neither.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/...kaAif7EALw_wcB

$456 shipped open-box. $550 new on Amazon. Why:

1. iPhone X has 2700 MAH (but is very good at optimizing it.) S9 has 3000 MAH. This has 4000 MAH. The battery life is insane on this phone.
2. It has a great camera, on par with the S9 and the iPhone X.
3. 6 GB of RAM. iPhone has 3, S9 has 4. Fantastic processor, on par with the iPhone X and S9. Water-resistant. Huge screen in a small package. Not much difference.
4. Interface easy to use if you're used to Android. I find Apple products incomprehensible, but that's because I don't use them.
5. Way cheaper than S9 or iPhone X.
Old 07-07-2018, 9:31 PM
Formerly Gecko45
CGN Contributor

Thank you everyone. Some things for me to consider for sure!
Old 07-08-2018, 7:22 AM

Default It's about control and options

You can do more with a SAMSUNG in the way it runs and looks

But if you don't want or care about that an APPLE is a Solid Choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
I'm sorry if this has been done to death. I don't follow tech circles all that much so please have patience with me.

It's time for a new phone and I wonder which to get. I have used Samsung devices since I switched from Nokia 16 years ago. I have no complaints except certain updates that had to be corrected. Everyone is telling me to switch over to iphone, that I'll never look back, so on and so on.

So my question is two-fold: 1) of the two, iphone x or samsung 9, which did you choose? Why? And 2) of those who switched from android to iphone os, what apps or functions did you find most different, hard to get used to, or miss?

I don't want this to turn in to fanboy against fanboy, glock vs 1911, ak vs ar etc... just share your experience, your decision, and thanks for any help!!!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you need or prefer a "training wheels" experience then Apple products are a great way to go. Apple maintains absolute control over your hardware, your software choices, and your user experience for you (and their bottom line). They won't even allow you to add more storage short of buying a new phone. If you need or desire that level of hand holding then Apple products are a rock solid choice.

I prefer a lot more control over my experience. When I decided I wanted more than 64GB of storage in my Samsung S8 I just popped a 256GB microSD card into the slot for a total of 320GB of storage. When I want to add files I just copy them over using wifi and an app (FX file manager from Google Play) pretty much like using a PC. As for Samsung's version of Android I like it a lot. It's not quite as lightweight as stock Android but it's a bit more functional and since the S7 the hardware has been plenty fast enough to support it.

Hardware wise there isn't a huge difference. Both are well made, both are fast for what are basically pocket computers with built in phones and both take great pictures for a point and shoot camera. The Samsung phones should receive new versions of Android for two years but not as fast as they should. Apple tends to support older phones longer. On the other hand Samsung S9s are weather resistant and have headphone jacks.

My advice is to go to your carrier's store, handle both for a bit and only then choose the one that you like better. Either are great choices.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 07-08-2018 at 10:25 AM..
Old 07-08-2018, 11:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I would not give Apple a dime. That is an evil empire.
Old 07-08-2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Neither.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/...kaAif7EALw_wcB

$456 shipped open-box. $550 new on Amazon.
Huawei make good phones but are controlled by the Chinese military. If you don't mind red china spying on you along with the NSA then you can save some money buying them.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
Huawei make good phones but are controlled by the Chinese military. If you don't mind red china spying on you along with the NSA then you can save some money buying them.
Shrug. Work I do has nothing to do with national security, so I'm not really sure why I should care what they know about me. Although huawei has been making high end phones for the European and American markets for years now--you would think if it was sending data to the ChiComs, it would have been discovered by now.
Old 07-09-2018, 3:50 AM
Calguns Addict

You can get a NIB LG V20 for ~$200, and only like 1-gen behind current.

64GB storage, AND you can keep your music, pics, and Vids from the camera on a MicroSD card... SEPARATE from the 64GB internal on-board flash... which means you can move it to your next phone free. This baby STILL has a removable batt and cover, so easy batt swaps, no proc. throttling for you, unlike ALL iPhruity devices!

OR you could pay Apple for recurrent iCloud storage... again, and again... ... ...

Check the LG V20 specs vs iPhone X specs, and it is still better.

Don't buy the more proprietary cables, nor require iTunes to sync.

Last edited by the86d; 07-09-2018 at 3:56 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 9:10 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Samsung for me. Wife has I phone. The iPhone is nothing but junk.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 07-09-2018, 9:20 AM

At the most basic level do you want to be in the Apple-verse or the Android - verse with regards to operating systems and app sourcing.

There are plus and minuses to both. I’d say that in terms of hardware, any top tier phone from anyone has hit parity with very minor differences. So it really comes down to software / iOS differences and only you know which you prefer.

Aside from that, the middle of summer is not the best time to buy a top tier Apple phone. In just a few months it won’t be top tier anymore. So you are basically overpaying at this point, for the 3 months of top tier - ness you’d get out of it.

If you really do want an Apple,
You’d be much better off getting a refurb 7 from the Apple store or a used 6s or 7 that you know is in decent shape. You’ll be able to sell it for about what you paid for it in 6 months and then you can get whatever the new iPhone is then. That’s a better way to allocate Apple
Top tier $ right now.

I have no opinion on Samsung as I am not in that universe personally. (Though I help family members with their lower tier Samsung phones. I have no issues with Samsung phones. They seem to me to be very quality for the money. I have some things I prefer in iOS based on what I have seen, so that’s why I am still Apple. ).
Old 07-09-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Shrug. Work I do has nothing to do with national security, so I'm not really sure why I should care what they know about me. Although huawei has been making high end phones for the European and American markets for years now--you would think if it was sending data to the ChiComs, it would have been discovered by now.
It has been discovered. That is why they are not allowed by the DOD and Pentagon.
Old 07-09-2018, 1:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S9+ a month ago after suffering from forced Appleitis (my previous android died and I had an iPhone backup) for a couple years and the difference couldn't be more clear....

The Samsung wins, hands down (compared to my previous iPhone 6s and 7).

Faster. Holy crap! This thing is fast loading up apps and streaming.

Better Battery. Full stop. I've loaded all the same apps as my old phone and after a day of heavy usage, I use about 30% of the battery. The iPhones were required to be charged throughout the day (no doubt to their class-action lawsuit causing intentional battery drain/performance slowdown).

Better camera/video and beautiful screen/display. Way more vibrant than the 6+7. Also, with the Samsung, you're using the whole screen front. Way more real estate to work with.

The only cons I've found is that there's a dedicated button for "Bixby" (something like Apple's Cortana) which I press, in error, frequently. This can be turned off but it's a pain in the Azz... The second issue is that the fingerprint reader is on the back side of the phone, right under the camera's aperture. Not a great location - but I don't use it so it's a moot point.

TL;DR: Samsung for the win.

Would background checks, fees, taxes, and long waiting periods be considered "infringements" if they were applied to the right to vote or the right to free speech?
Old 07-09-2018, 2:11 PM

Cortana is MS.
Secondly, if you are comparing a newer Samsung to an older iPhone, of course it is going to be better and faster. You can like and enjoy the new Samsung but those comparisons have to be across current brand x phone V.S. current brand y phone and the phones have to be in the same tier (Ie top of the line, or mid cost utility, or entry level ) for it to be a fair comparison.

If you were comparing your Samsung to an Apple IPhone X,
You would probably less amazed at the speed differences. Because there wouldn’t be much of one.

Last edited by Iknownot; 07-09-2018 at 2:14 PM..
Old 07-09-2018, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

Fruit is only good for eating!

I have an S8+ and like the hardware, other than having to disable to bixby button. It runs fast and the camera is great.

The software is absolute crap!

Samsung is full of bloatware and social media BS like stickers, emojis and all that crap, and there isn't a way to get rid of it without rooting. The camera interface will show a stickers icon and will light up with a red indicator to tell you they have something new. I have no use for that crap or the front facing camera. The samsung internet app is a joke and yet it, or another browser pop up from links in the "messages" app. Reviews on aftermarket camera and messages apps are not all that and I have tried them.

Samsung is too much like apple........pushing what they think you should use. Android is about customizing a device to work for you..........or that is my thought of it anyway.

It took some time to disable all the extra crap like google search, google assistant, bixby, etc.

The Samsung battery is great, the screen is very nice and I would never have a smaller phone, the camera takes great pictures and I rarely find myself wishing I had my DSLR with me.

The Pixel was the other phone I considered, but I am not a huge google fan boy either. I'm not sure if they push the social media BS as hard as samsung. The samsung seems like it is made for a mellinial (spelling) who wants a phone to do everything for them and allow them to broadcast their life to the world.
Old 07-09-2018, 5:04 PM

I would not pay that much for either one. But lets say I won a contest and was given the choice of one or the other

I would take the Samsung hands down.
Mostly because I am an android guy that does not like apple.
I feel more free to do more with an android phone, I feel like it is mine, apple devices feel like it belongs to them and you are just borrowing it.

But you might find this S9 vs iPhone x review interesting., Includes stats. Ram for instance, X=3GB, S9=4GB, S9+=6GB
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-...view-5167.html

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 07-09-2018 at 5:07 PM..
Old 07-09-2018, 6:41 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm for android all the way but even if you are committed to IOS system, I don't see a single good reason to pay the price premium for an iPhone X over the iPhone 8 or 8 plus.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 07-17-2018, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

I love my iPhone X. Eliminating the home button and face recognition are home runs for me.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 07-18-2018, 9:51 AM

I know as many people who have switched from Droid to iPhone as iPhone to Droid. Everyone will have a different opinion and it's tough to know what is best for you without trying both. I have a Droid. I've only had Droids. Rest of the family is all Apple. All that said, I would NOT buy a Samsung. I have a hard time trusting them after the battery issues that, un-reportedly, date back to the S2. Pixel 1 has been great for me and I am looking at a Pixel 2 later this year.
Old 07-19-2018, 4:00 AM
Calguns Addict

I really enjoy the double-tap on the LG device screens to wake them back up from the standby screen/screen-off. I probably will not get anything but an LG now. They implement this on their tablets also. No fiddling with finding the power button depending on orientation, etc, just double-tap the screen.

Just curious, how do you wake the new iPhones from screen-off if they don't have the front button? Power button?
Old 07-19-2018, 6:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I really enjoy the double-tap on the LG device screens to wake them back up from the standby screen/screen-off. I probably will not get anything but an LG now. They implement this on their tablets also. No fiddling with finding the power button depending on orientation, etc, just double-tap the screen.

Just curious, how do you wake the new iPhones from screen-off if they don't have the front button? Power button?
Two ways. Single tap the screen or just raise it up. Both wake the screen and then facial recognition unlocks it. It works perfectly.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Calguns Addict

I saw pops swiping, and didn't think to ask him, but he has accidentally turned off his data due to swiping multiple times and his phone trying to catch up. He, I assume inadvertantly hit the cell data toggle, while swiping multiple times trying to unlock the screen, or something. I think he was swiping at an angle. Cell data toggle looks like an old WiFi logo on those...

Last edited by the86d; 07-19-2018 at 10:33 AM..
Old 07-19-2018, 10:50 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I know you asked about Apple vs Samsung, but having been owners of several phones by both brands for many years, I'd like to offer an alternative that I like much better than both - The Google Pixel 2.

Same OS (android) as Samsung, and on paper they seem like very comparable phones, but unlike the Samsungs I've used, everything in my Pixel actually works the way it's supposed to. My Samsungs have always had various issues - GPS reception sucking, microphone sucking, touchscreen sucking, battery life sucking, etc...

No problems whatsoever with my Pixel 2, nor the Pixel 1 I had before it. Everything works the way it's supposed to, and never stopped working.

iPhone, for me, is completely out of the question. I hate them. I hate the company and everything they stand for, but more importantly I hate the operating system even more. And they refuse to put a damned USB port on their phones, for no reason other than to be "different". Eff them.

If DOJ visits you regarding your RAW application: Avoid opening your door if they don't have a warrant. Don't consent to a search. Don't "talk your way out of it". Assert your right to remain silent until you have a lawyer present.

2018 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 07-19-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Old 07-19-2018, 7:34 PM

Long time iPhone user that hates Apple policies and control. Switched to Google Pixel last week and couldn't be happier.
Old 07-19-2018, 8:20 PM

I say go for the Samsung. You are already invested in the Android universe. As much as I personally want an iPhone X, I tend to be a bit leery of the first generation technology. X is the first to remove the button, and incorporate facial recognition.

+1 for the Pixel 2. By all accounts this is a great phone, and being a Google device you get patches and updates first -an important security consideration.

I agree with the post above that complains about Samsung GPS. In my personal experience, Apple reception is better than Samsung, but nobody does radios like Motorola. I just wish Motorola had more compelling flagship models.
Old 07-26-2018, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
Was just reading a bit about Iphone X. Some articles were saying to wait until September for a new release.

My wife and kids have iphones, I have a knock off Android, use to have iphone 4. Iphone is pretty intuitive, shouldn't be hard to learn on.
Wait for the new phones. Can't find the link now, but there are three new phones coming. One is a budget priced iPhone X if such a thing is possible. Apple applied for some kind of permit for releasing the new phones in Asia and one of the tech websites reported on in.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-27-2018, 3:51 AM
Calguns Addict

I caught this recently. Pretty funny, and a good listen.

https://youtu.be/_hYHwkIuEMo

Last edited by the86d; 07-27-2018 at 4:00 AM..
Old 07-27-2018, 12:28 PM

My suggestion would be based on what you intend to do with it.

If you're looking for something to do basic tasks like browsing, email, messaging, taking photos, normal phone stuff and you want something that makes it a little harder to mess up then I'd suggest an iPhone. They are great for older folks and small children. Basically the type of people who always end up needing someone to fix their PC because it's got 20 pop-ups a minute, toolbars covering half the screen, and they can't find where they put any of their pictures. (my father)

On the other hand if you want something more like a PC in your pocket that has a normal file browser and tons of settings for customizing the operating system go with Android. My experience is Apple has a very hard time with any file it doesn't recognize. Android is more like a PC where if someone sends you and attachment you can just save it to your phone and copy or Bluetooth it to any device that has a USB or Bluetooth. Same for files you download from the web like equipment firmware and stuff like that.

The other grip I have with Apple is there's no consistent back button. In the browser it seems you have to tap on the screen and wait for the button to appear. In other apps it's nowhere to be found. There may be shortcuts and workarounds but if they are there they aren't obvious in my opinion.

I'll add I've had great luck with Samsung just to counter some of the complaints in this thread. Every product has lemons and I've been lucky enough to have had several great Samsung phones, so have several people I know. The other manufacturers put out good phones too.

It's not like the old days when most phones were terrible, now most phones are good, a few are great, and as long as you spend more than a hundred or so dollars you probably will get a decent phone.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I take shots View Post
The other grip I have with Apple is there's no consistent back button. In the browser it seems you have to tap on the screen and wait for the button to appear. In other apps it's nowhere to be found. There may be shortcuts and workarounds but if they are there they aren't obvious in my opinion.
Swipe the screen from the left edge to the right to go back in a browser. To go forward in the browser, it's swipe from right edge of the screen to the left.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Formerly Gecko45
CGN Contributor

Default I phone x or samsung 9s?

I appreciate the time everyone took to offer something helpful. Unfortunately I was not able to wait because my previous phone was destroyed and I have to have one for work. Also, because of the stipend structure from my employer, I was limited to either the iPhone X or Galaxy 9 unless I wanted to pay out of pocket.

So I went with the X; mostly to try something new but also because my workís alert, notification, and securities were built with iPhones in mind. Iíve had it just over a week now. For the most part I am experiencing few differences between it and my Galaxy 7.

A couple of significant differences, though, are that I have no trouble switching between WiFi and data usage on the X. The Samsung had trouble with internet off WiFi. Also, as mentioned by someone else, I have yet to lose gps signal while on the road. The Galaxy frequently lost signal which was sometimes inconvenient.

Text editing is near impossible on the X compared to the Galaxy. I do a lot of typing and editing, but doing so is very frustrating. The X doesnít seem to be able to handle intricate cursor placement. I also donít care for how the photo gallery stores files. Finally, I do very much miss the back button for the browser. I tried the swipe thing and it doesnít work for me. If I get stuck on a page that canít be forced back I have to close the browser and reopen.

But the X is fast, camera is great, and overall it serves my purposes. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by WASR10; 07-28-2018 at 11:13 AM..
Old 07-28-2018, 1:49 PM

Be really cool and get an old style flip phone with removable battery.
Old 07-28-2018, 2:03 PM

Long time Samsung user, switched to the iPhone X a few months ago. Great phone, great battery life.

What I find is that the world is IPhone centric. Everything is designed for the iPhone first, then others later. Software is better written for the iPhone, even google apps like Maps work better on the iPhone than on my Samsung S7. I use MS office apps on the iPhone, and OneDrive, and it’s a seamless experience. Those same apps worked like crap on my Samsung.

iMessage is great. Lots of my friends/coworkers use it, and with an android phone, you are shut out of that universe.

Finally, I have an iPad that works seamlessly with the iPhone.

I do not see myself going back to the Android world anytime soon.
Old 07-28-2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Text editing is near impossible on the X compared to the Galaxy. I do a lot of typing and editing, but doing so is very frustrating. The X doesnít seem to be able to handle intricate cursor placement. I also donít care for how the photo gallery stores files. Finally, I do very much miss the back button for the browser. I tried the swipe thing and it doesnít work for me. If I get stuck on a page that canít be forced back I have to close the browser and reopen.
It's a shame you couldn't wait just over a month, as Apple traditionally announces new phones in September.

Regarding cursor placement, have you tried holding your finger over the area you want to edit? It should pop up a "bubble" and, as you maintain pressure, you can then move your finger to move the cursor.

I haven't had issues with the back/forward swiping. Are you starting the swipe from the very edge of the screen?

here's some tips for using iOS:
https://www.howtogeek.com/307551/10-...on-the-iphone/
Old 07-28-2018, 3:41 PM
Formerly Gecko45
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
It's a shame you couldn't wait just over a month, as Apple traditionally announces new phones in September.

Regarding cursor placement, have you tried holding your finger over the area you want to edit? It should pop up a "bubble" and, as you maintain pressure, you can then move your finger to move the cursor.

I haven't had issues with the back/forward swiping. Are you starting the swipe from the very edge of the screen?

here's some tips for using iOS:

https://www.howtogeek.com/307551/10-...on-the-iphone/

Thanks for that link. It gave me a helpful tip on moving the curser by holding the space bar down. It seems the back/forward swipe works for safari but not chrome. Makes sense that safari would be more friendly for iphone
Old 07-28-2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that link. It gave me a helpful tip on moving the curser by holding the space bar down. It seems the back/forward swipe works for safari but not chrome. Makes sense that safari would be more friendly for iphone
I use the swipe motions with Chrome and Firefox on my iPhone. Interesting that it doesn't seem to be working on your Chrome installation.
Old 07-28-2018, 4:06 PM
Formerly Gecko45
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
I use the swipe motions with Chrome and Firefox on my iPhone. Interesting that it doesn't seem to be working on your Chrome installation.

Maybe Iím just not doing it right.
Old 07-28-2018, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

I just got a S9 last week. Thing absolutely smokes on speed. Don't know if the X is faster or slower, but it would be hard to beat.

As far as bloatware is concerned, there was almost none, and what was there was uninstalled in less than a minute with just a touch/hold command. No rooting necessary and a major improvement.

I'm shocked how fast maps/Waze works for navigation and Apple's navigation app has always sucked.