Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-13-2018, 5:17 PM

Default Tikka t3x barrel work

I take possession of a shiny new tikka on Monday. I kinda want to flute the bolt and barrel, and thread the muzzle. It's a stainless 6.5CM 24" t3x. I ordered a CTR, but the actual rifle that was there when I showed up to start the dros wasn't a CTR. It was $300 cheaper, and the only thing it didn't have that I didn't plan on replacing anyway was the threaded muzzle. So, not sure what it is, but I went with it after having waited 3 months already. Hope it's not a super lite. I was informed at the time that the barrel was 0.030" thicker than the CTR.... but she also said that the CTR was factory fluted - I dunno.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I am a machinist. I'm confident that I can do these things, but seem to be mind effing myself in the details of the setups...

Should I leave it alone and be happy with this perfectly good rifle, or should I go for it?

Any advice for a non gunsmith machinist? I just ordered a 2.75" contact tip for my 0.0001" indicator so I can direct dial the bore for threading.

Planning on manually fluting the barrel and bolt (straight flutes, interrupted cut on bolt) with an indexing head and tail stock on a Bridgeport. I have concerns about the non concentric bore vs OD and light radiused flutes... as in having to move the barrel for each flute to make it perfect.

Maybe I could save a lot of time by just asking you all to post pics of your fluting setups!

This rifle is also getting a new trigger, chassis, rail, and glass. And recoil lug.

Someone mentioned glass bedding the action... Thoughts?

About the fluting- I'm fully aware and have been researching this. The fluting i intend to do will be very light and strictly cosmetic with the intent of maintaining as much stiffness as i can, but also, still flirted.

Dam. I rambled. Sorry. Thoughts please! Thanks.
Old 07-13-2018, 5:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tagged
Old 07-13-2018, 9:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's ok to admit that you are fluting for looks.
Any amount of fluting reduces the rigidity and heat handling ability of the barrel.
What is your muzzle diameter?

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 07-14-2018, 8:23 AM

Thanks, Randall!

I won't know what the contour is until I take possession on Monday. Didn't measure it when I was there for paperwork, and there's some confusion as it isn't the rifle version I asked for. I've googled the ***** outta this, diameter could be anywhere from 0.680 to 0.875. If it's a lite or super lite, I don't think I'll bother fluting it, but if it's the thicker barrel, I'll sacrifice a little for looks.
Old 07-14-2018, 8:29 AM

and by "sacrificing for looks" I don't mean making a 0.250 deep x 0.250 wide pass with a slitting saw. I'm talking about using a 0.125 radius cutter at like 0.030 deep, subject to how it looks on a test piece.
Old 07-14-2018, 8:42 AM

shoot it first. I have a T3X 223 heavy varmint, and it's a great shooter.

Get a yoDave trigger spring, 10 bucks plus shipping.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:01 AM

Mike- my friend has a CTR in .308 that I had the pleasure of shooting recently. I agree, darn fine rifle.

I really prefer a two stage trigger, so that's why I'm spending for a timney. That said, for a stock trigger, tikka did a great job. Further, I'd like to be able to cyclethe bolt with the safety engaged.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:07 AM

Also, is anyone willing to give information regarding stress relieving or thermal cycling? I would put care into keeping the temp down while running these machining operations, is that enough? Should a run a stress relief cycle? Cryo cycle? Temps? Inert environment?

Regarding fixturing for fluting, do you run spiders at each end or a live center at the muzzle?
Old 07-14-2018, 8:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlybird View Post
Also, is anyone willing to give information regarding stress relieving or thermal cycling? I would put care into keeping the temp down while running these machining operations, is that enough? Should a run a stress relief cycle? Cryo cycle? Temps? Inert environment?

Regarding fixturing for fluting, do you run spiders at each end or a live center at the muzzle?
Cryo the barrel before you cut on it and it should not distort as much from the fluting.

Hard mount both ends of the barrel as solid as possible and support the center with a 2 point rest that will allow the cutter to move through.
It will look sorta like a follow rest on a lathe, but it should hit the barrel at 45 degrees above center and 45 degrees below center.
Use a radiused keyway type cutter that engages the barrel from the side so that you are pushing it into the two mid supports.

This video shows the setup pretty well:

When setup in that fashion, you can adjust the barrel angle to either make the flutes the same depth from end to end or you can have them get deeper as the barrel diameter increases.
It's MUCH harder to do that same setup when you use a ball endmill from the top.
Also, a ball endmill does not cut both sides of the flute as nice as a radiused cutter does from the side as you are cutting the full radius in the same cutter direction.

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 07-14-2018 at 8:23 PM..
Old 07-14-2018, 11:26 PM

Yeah! That's the info I was looking for! Wish i could pick your brain a lot more...

Setup looks totally doable. I was shying away from the keyseat cutter because I don't have any at the shop, but I agree that's an easier setup. I'll pony up the cash- they're expensive!

Looks like the muzzle is in a dead center. So i shouldn't trip out over the non concentric bore/OD?

what's the proper way to cryo treat? I have access to liquid nitrogen, last time I used it was testing thermal stabilization on some stuff. Do you put it all in a dewar and let the n2 boil off for a day?

Can I leave the action on the barrel for that process?
Old 07-15-2018, 12:55 AM

Just looked up cryo treating. I don't have the facility for that. It's super interesting though! 300 below talks about a 72 hour cycle. Of course, they're not giving away their trade secrets, so hard to tell if that was down to LN2, soak for an hour, then back up, or if they go down and back up a couple times. Would be a really fun thing to do though.
Old 07-15-2018, 7:29 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

For Cryo treating There are shops around that if you do multiple barrels it's a $200-$400 per run fee so 10 barrels equals $20-$40.

Be advised on your extended contact tip on your indicator. that is going to foul up your readings unless your indicator was designed for it. there is no need to do that anyway. you could have ordered a few gage pins and been good. indicate the gage pin and bee good to go.

I machined a ring or steel that is a very snug slip fit in my lathes head stock. I threaded it to fit the threads on the barrel shank of Rem 700's. This way I thread on the ring, shove the barrel in the lathe tape off the area the chuck will grip and clamp it with the chuck. I insert a snug fitting gage pin and run an indicator to see if i need to make an adjustment. if the indicator reads within .002" or better start cutting. it's only a muzzle brake and as long as it's square it could be .010" out of concentricity and it would not matter. I don't do that and i keep them below .002" TIR but a tenths indicator is not needed either.

As to fluting. I'd highly suggest you buy a take off barrel and give it go on that first. Work out your set up issue on scrap first or you 'll be making scrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 07-15-2018, 8:12 AM

Well. Crap.... Effort + tooling + treating is greater than a cost of an installed new barrel, looks like.

Might just leave it alone. Kinda sucks, was looking forward to the novelty of doing something different at the shop.
Old 07-15-2018, 8:16 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well. Crap.... Effort + tooling + treating is greater than a cost of an installed new barrel, looks like.

Might just leave it alone. Kinda sucks, was looking forward to the novelty of doing something different at the shop.
yeah well you never mentioned how you were going to get the barrel off the action. all this stuff takes time and money.

And yeah anyone of us could have told you that it would be cheeper to buy a drop in barrel. Most here that work on guns do so for other reasons, Saving money ain't one of them.

Quote:
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Old 07-15-2018, 8:16 AM

Not sure I'm ok with a 0.002 TIR on the brake, even if it would be ok. With that tip on my tenths indicator, 0.0001 should equal half a thou, because geometry. I've got plenty of gauge pins.
Old 07-15-2018, 8:20 AM

I've read some posts about getting the barrel off. Not something I think I can do competently, or without ruining it. I've got a Sharpe precision lathe that ican build spiders for that'll fit the barrel with action.
Old 07-15-2018, 8:24 AM

Well, now that I'm more educated about this (thanks everyone), I can plan for future revisions. Like a barrel nut conversion, and cryo treating!

Anyway, ain't one of us that messes around with firearms because we like keeping our money, lol
Old 07-15-2018, 8:25 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not sure I'm ok with a 0.002 TIR on the brake, even if it would be ok. With that tip on my tenths indicator, 0.0001 should equal half a thou, because geometry. I've got plenty of gauge pins.
Well most brakes have .050" bullet clearance so you tell me why are you going to waste your time dialing in a barrel to .0002" when your thread fit is only going to be +/-.002" anyway? Are you going to thread grind your threads?? You may be a Machinist but you sure sound green, like an Apprentice or a Machine operator.

The only time you indicate a barrel to the tenths is when you are doing tenon threads and chamber work.

Quote:
Old 07-15-2018, 9:34 AM

edited

Last edited by smoothy8500; 07-15-2018 at 9:37 AM..
Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 AM

I'm just trying to gather information and do the best I can with what I have.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:31 PM

1) if I already knew what i was doing, I wouldn't be here asking questions trying to learn and make myself better. Of course I'm green. This is my second career (first was flying helicopters, out for medical reasons). Every FOG was an FNG at one point.

As far as why I would take the time to dial in and make things as good as I can? Because I'm exploring doing this to learn. Because I take pride in my work. And because I'm not trying to bang through this job like it's paying my bills. So yeah, I have no problem with spending the extra time building tooling and gaining experience.

I really appreciate how some experienced people have taken the time to answer my dumb questions and have imparted knowledge in doing so.

There can be value in appreciating tolerances to get through a job quickly. My situation is not one of those situations.
Old 07-15-2018, 2:58 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
1) if I already knew what i was doing, I wouldn't be here asking questions trying to learn and make myself better. Of course I'm green. This is my second career (first was flying helicopters, out for medical reasons). Every FOG was an FNG at one point.

As far as why I would take the time to dial in and make things as good as I can? Because I'm exploring doing this to learn. Because I take pride in my work. And because I'm not trying to bang through this job like it's paying my bills. So yeah, I have no problem with spending the extra time building tooling and gaining experience.

I really appreciate how some experienced people have taken the time to answer my dumb questions and have imparted knowledge in doing so.

There can be value in appreciating tolerances to get through a job quickly. My situation is not one of those situations.
thats not what you said.

You said and I quote "Not sure I'm ok with a 0.002 TIR on the brake,"

That statement to me sounds like you thought it was a bad thing. if you have the time and are trying to learn this, great dial it in as close as you can, no problem. But to me it was more of a reaction to .002" not being good enough and that why i came off the way I did. no need to dial it better then that.

Ive been a toolmaker for close to thirty years and have just recently changed careers. I am now a precision machine tool mechanic in a union shop. You're going to run into a few of us crotchety old guys But I'm not even an old guy yet. We got guys retiring out with 40 years under their belt damn near 70 years old. All in good fun

Quote:
Old 07-15-2018, 6:21 PM

Glad we cleared that up. We just had a guy retire with 51 years. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Happy shooting.
Old 07-15-2018, 8:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I can plan for future revisions. Like a barrel nut conversion,
Why would you do such a thing when you have a lathe and know how to use it?A barrel nut system adds an extra set of threads into the equation that does not exist with a properly shouldered barrel.
It also makes the headspace adjustable which is a bad thing when swapping barrels.

Old 07-15-2018, 9:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Well most brakes have .050" bullet clearance so you tell me why are you going to waste your time dialing in a barrel to .0002" when your thread fit is only going to be +/-.002" anyway? Are you going to thread grind your threads?? You may be a Machinist but you sure sound green, like an Apprentice or a Machine operator.

The only time you indicate a barrel to the tenths is when you are doing tenon threads and chamber work.
I typically indicate the grooves of muzzles to less than 0.0005" TIR when threading, not because it's required, but because my OCD makes me.
It only adds an extra 60 seconds once you are already inside of 0.001" anyways.
I know my tooling well and know how much I need to adjust to get there.
Many muzzle brakes come with as little as 0.020" of clearance over bullet diameter.

Have you watched my youtube muzzle brake runout videos?

Old 07-16-2018, 2:30 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Have you watched my youtube muzzle brake runout videos?
nope

Quote:
Old 08-07-2018, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Maybe I could save a lot of time by just asking you all to post pics of your fluting setups!

This rifle is also getting a new trigger, chassis, rail, and glass. And recoil lug.

Someone mentioned glass bedding the action... Thoughts?

About the fluting- I'm fully aware and have been researching this. The fluting i intend to do will be very light and strictly cosmetic with the intent of maintaining as much stiffness as i can, but also, still flirted.

Dam. I rambled. Sorry. Thoughts please! Thanks.
OP what are you trying to do with your rifle? PRS rig, dedicated bench (F-class) rifle, hunting rifle?

I agree on getting the YoDave trigger spring and tuning the trigger to your liking (I swear my CTR is down to maybe 1lb or even ounces). The current T3X do come with an upgraded steel recoil lug (compared to the older T3), so if you're talking about the integral lug offered in the Remington 700 or even a Howa then it's a different rifle. As for the fluting, I say go for it if it's what you like. I'm personally waiting until I upgrade barrels after burning through the factory barrel. Just need to figure out contour....M24 vs medium palma.

shuttlecock
Old 08-07-2018, 8:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
Just need to figure out contour....M24 vs medium palma.
Both of those are too large to fit on the front of an unmodified Tikka T3 reciever.
Tikka T3 receivers are too small in diameter to use normal 1.25" breech diameter barrels.
You are limited to about 1.150" breech diameter without shortening the front of the reciever.
You could almost get to 1.2" with the front of the reciever shortened about 1/8" of so until you get to the full receiver diameter.