Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-15-2017, 5:23 PM

Default Memories

I was cleaning out some things in my closets and found this holster. Put my Python in it and it brought some memories of old times. My department issued me a Smith & Wesson model 67 38 Special revolver with 2 speed loaders. I have never carried the issued revolver once I graduated the academy.

My waist was 30 inches then, and I could only fit the holster, 2 speed loaders, 2 handcuffs, baton ring, and keys. I was very envious of BIG guys who could put a lot of things on their belts.

Now that I retired, it does not matter anymore.

Old 03-15-2017, 5:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Now they got glove dispenser and CPR Device Holder, & a separate holster for the stun gun. I would need a crane to lift me out of the seat. All that stuff and a vest.
Old 03-15-2017, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Love that holster!

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 03-15-2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Love that holster!
It was new when I got it, and the department went to Beretta pistols. I had a non swivel one before this one.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I still have my Hoyt for my Model 66 4". The spring is a little sprung, but I carried it for years in the field.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 03-16-2017, 6:57 PM

Thanks for sharing! I've only got a few years in and I've got many many more to go, but hopefully I can be in your shoes one day and look back at a long and rewarding law enforcement career.

One of my FTO's use to sit me down after every shift and ask me what I thought was something good, something bad, and something funny about the shift. Care to share something good, something bad, and something funny that you remember about your law enforcement career?
Old 03-16-2017, 9:09 PM
Banned

micro1911,

Your memories will always matter.
Old 03-17-2017, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP911 View Post
Thanks for sharing! I've only got a few years in and I've got many many more to go, but hopefully I can be in your shoes one day and look back at a long and rewarding law enforcement career.

One of my FTO's use to sit me down after every shift and ask me what I thought was something good, something bad, and something funny about the shift. Care to share something good, something bad, and something funny that you remember about your law enforcement career?
I recommend retired life.. I went to my old office yesterday and told my friends that "I am retired and you are not. Have a nice day at work tomorrow." They did not like it very much. hahaha
Old 03-17-2017, 1:50 PM

I still have my old Hoyt for my S&W 586, slick as snot but not for retention.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic View Post
micro1911,

Your memories will always matter.
I still enjoy it, and still talk to some of my old partners.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:41 PM

Yes, memories. I was issued a model 15 way back then, I remember well:-)
Old 03-18-2017, 1:39 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Even a Beretta 92F with no light in a basketweave holster is getting rarer and rarer.

Considering the time and distance and rounds fired in many if not most lethal encounters, a good revolver would still be a very viable duty weapon in skilled hands.
Old 03-18-2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Even a Beretta 92F with no light in a basketweave holster is getting rarer and rarer.

Considering the time and distance and rounds fired in many if not most lethal encounters, a good revolver would still be a very viable duty weapon in skilled hands.
We used to have better hit ratio back then when we used revolvers. Now, LASD issues 5 magazines that have 17 round capacity per mag. That is 85 rounds plus one in the chamber. That is a lot of rounds. The hit ratio went down a lot.. I wonder why...

Last edited by micro911; 03-19-2017 at 9:53 AM..
Old 03-19-2017, 7:16 AM

Beautiful rig! That brings back memories of my fathers rig from the '70's. He had a Model 66 with 4" that road on his belt for nine years. Thanks for the memories.
Guns dont kill people, Dads with pretty Daughters kill people.
Old 04-21-2017, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoni View Post
Beautiful rig! That brings back memories of my fathers rig from the '70's. He had a Model 66 with 4" that road on his belt for nine years. Thanks for the memories.
Good memories..
Old 04-21-2017, 8:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Default True, But....

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
I recommend retired life.. I went to my old office yesterday and told my friends that "I am retired and you are not. Have a nice day at work tomorrow." They did not like it very much. hahaha
It means you are old. That's one of the downsides to being retired.
Old 04-21-2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
I was cleaning out some things in my closets and found this holster. Put my Python in it and it brought some memories of old times. My department issued me a Smith & Wesson model 67 38 Special revolver with 2 speed loaders. I have never carried the issued revolver once I graduated the academy.

My waist was 30 inches then, and I could only fit the holster, 2 speed loaders, 2 handcuffs, baton ring, and keys. I was very envious of BIG guys who could put a lot of things on their belts.

Now that I retired, it does not matter anymore.

What..........what is that thing............?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

I'm not too crusty old yet but have a funny story about holsters. So our 'State Issue Bucket' was famous for having lousy retention & ejecting your sidearm at the worst possible moment. I sprung for a fancy triple-retention rig right out of the academy but alot of guys just didnt want to drop the coin.

So my rook year me & a buddy are working graves. He wore the state bucket & I would always tease him that if we ever had to chase anybody he better hold on to his junk. Sure enough we pull over this dirtbag one night & he takes off. I'm shotgun so I'm out first after him. Buddy secures the PV and is about 20 yards behind. Not 10 seconds in I hear the distinct sound of a pistol hitting the pavement then getting kicked down the road. Simultanious to this I hear buddy screaming "God-D***....MotherF*****!!!!"

Out of the corner of my eye I see his pretty silver S&W skitter down the road to my left. Now I dont know how many of you have ever had the pleasure of chasing somebody in full police gear, but its 10 times harder when you're laughing as hard as you possibly can.

By this time I was catching up to the dirtbag, and I saw him look back at me several times with the funniest expression of fear & confusion I've ever seen. Here was this Chippie laughing at the top of his lungs getting ready to tackle his azz & beat the snot out of him, poor guy prolly thought I was El Diablo himself.

Dude pretty much gave up when I got close. I was laughing & gasping so hard I couldnt give any commands. I just tackled him & started hooking him up. Buddy shows up a moment later. I'm still laughing so hard my face hurts & my eyeballs are literally throbbing. All he would say as we picked the dude up was "You know what- F***You!"

~Pope John Paul II