Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:13 PM

Default .22 dud

It's been a while, but I broke out the Buckmark today with a couple hundred rounds of CCI standard velocity lead bullets (stated velocity 1050 fps). Out of 200 rds, I had 6 which did not fire on the first try. All had primer strike, albeit, some looked light. All fired on the second try.
I know everyone says you have to try different .22s to see what feeds best and is the most accurate. However, what do people find that has the least amount of duds?
My recollection is that Remington Buckets were the worst, Winchesters were about the same as CCIs. I remember Aguila standard copper coated were very reliable, but I haven't seen them since the great .22 shortage. I'm looking for plinking ammo, not Eleys at $10.00+ per 50.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:28 PM

CCI Standard and Aguila Standard (Blue Label) have been the most consistent performers for me.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I like CCI minimags.
Old 11-11-2019, 9:57 AM

First of all, try cleaning your gun. If the cartridge is not seated all the way in the chamber, the bolt could close far enough to allow the firing pin to fire but there would be a tiny air gap between the rim and the chamber face and just like a high centerfire primer, there isn't enough of a shock to set the primer compound off. This is also a reason not to dry fire some rimfire guns, a dent in the chamber face could also cause inconsistent primer ignition.

I was having problems with Federal Bulk ammo in my SW22A-1 and could reliably shoot Federal Automatch so I stuck to that ammo. Eventually, the Automatch started misfiring. That's when I learned about the importance of solid contact between the cartridge rim and the chamber face. Brass is an excellent shock absorber if it's given a little space to move. After a thorough scrub with Hoppes No9, the gun now shoots all ammo reliably and when it starts misfiring, I know it's time for a good scrub. It helps with extraction problems too. 22 rimfire is pretty dirty stuff.
Old 11-11-2019, 8:50 PM

Although I can't be 100% certain, I don't think a dirty gun was the cause. In my prior outing, I only shot a couple hundred rounds of copper coated Mini-Mags. Can't remember whether I had any duds, but I know I did my usual cleaning. I always remove the slide, scrub the firing pin, firing pin housing, extractor, face of the receiver where the rim sits, ramp, rails, etc. After my last session, I cleaned it the same way and did not observe any excess powder, lead, or other things which might prevent it from going into full battery. The soot was also minimal since I only shot 200 rounds. Twenty years ago when I first bought my Buckmark, I don't recall any duds. Forty years ago when I bought my 10/22, I know I didn't have any duds after shooting many, many bricks of whatever. I was hoping someone had experience with reliable, reasonably-priced, plinking ammo.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:07 PM

The absolute 22RF ammo is Remington "Golden Bullet". You never know if it will go off or not. I get maybe 5 or more fail to fire in ever 50 rounds.
Old 11-20-2019, 2:32 PM

Buy a box of Federal Automatch and shoot them all and let see how many dud you have.
- If you have none then you may get a bad lot of CCI SV.
- If you get about same amount of dud, then I don't know, but if it was me I will inspect the firing pin and turn it left to right (or vice versa), and shoot another box of Federal Automatch from difference store.
My two cents.

BTW, if you post this on the Rimfire Firearms forum you may get more replies.

Last edited by newbie1234; 11-20-2019 at 2:36 PM..
Old 11-20-2019, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

clean it good(not #9) and do not oil it. The duds will decrease
Old 11-20-2019, 7:14 PM

I do not remember ever getting a dud with a CCI 22 round.

Take care
Abenaki
Old 11-20-2019, 8:38 PM

cleaning is the answer. not shooting it for so long, the oil from a few years ago gets gummy, I would bet that's this issue.
Old 11-21-2019, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheGrave View Post
CCI Standard and Aguila Standard (Blue Label) have been the most consistent performers for me.
In the past 4(ish) years, I've had lots of both CCI SV and Aguila Pistol Match that had a 2-5% failure rate. Other lots have been trouble free. It happens, I guess.

Interestingly, the case of 30 year old PMC 22 ammo from when I took a long sabbatical from shooting performed flawlessly.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Calguns Addict

I found some 22RF Rem cartridges I got in the 1960's awhile back and they all shoot well. No duds. I have lots of 22RF cartridges I got in the 1990's for $9.97 a 550 pack from Wall-Mart and $10 for the same at Big-5 and they shoot well.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

I really like CCI Minimags, but I have the price. Have you tried the premium stuff in 50 Rd plastic packaging?
Old 12-03-2019, 5:58 AM

I experienced a similar situation with my normally very reliable Buckmark after it had been sitting in the safe for a year or so. As others have mentioned, a very through cleaning to remove old excess oil and grim(?) - heck maybe I put it away with just a wipe the last time I shot it, I really don't remember, it ran fine all over again.
Old 12-03-2019, 6:07 AM
Veteran Member

Federal Automatch goes bang in my 10/22 every time.

Lucky I guess.
Old 12-03-2019, 9:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

From my volunteer RSO shifts, shooting steel and sorting our range brass it would seem to be the Remington bucket of bullets that has the most duds. That being said, to be fair, they are also the most bought and shot brand. We see Federal next on the dud list, again there is also a lot of those sold. Back when it was legal, we inspected, sorted and then recycled the 22's into our youth shooting program. We feel that most will go BANG on the 2nd attempt. We tell shooters who complain about their ammo to rotate the duds about 1/3 of a turn so they strike virgin brass again and they usually go BANG.

Our 22 competition shooters use Terex or Lapua usually.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 12-08-2019, 7:43 AM

I use Federal and Aguila they both work well. I have a 10/22.
Old 12-08-2019, 9:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmy View Post
Twenty years ago when I first bought my Buckmark, I don't recall any duds.
My Buckmark is at least 20 years old and has fired a huge number of rounds.
After many years and many thousand of rounds I did start getting some random misfires even though everything was clean and the ammo was good.
The misfire problem got worse as the round count went up.
I inspected the fired cases carefully and could see that the firing pin was striking the case high on the rim.
What could cause this?
Two things were found:
- The soft aluminum B Square scope mount had a groove worn in it in the underside from the black hard plastic button on the front end of the recoil spring guide rubbing on it.
This allowed the tip of the firing pin to rise up slightly.
I replaced the scope mount with a new one and the misfires dropped in half.
Checking the fired cases showed the strike location was now lower but still a little high.
- The plastic button top edge rubs on the mount, the bottom edge holds the firing pin down. Both the top and bottom edges of the button showed wear.
I replaced the button and the misfires went away.
Checking the fired cases after both parts were replaced showed a much lower and proper firing pin strike location.

I now have extra buttons and recoil springs (plus other parts like the frame buffer) as spares, the parts are cheap and available from Browning.