Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 07-15-2011, 5:58 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!
Default Troy Rear Folding BUIS DOA

I recently picked up the Troy rear folding buis "Di-Optic Aperture"... The triangular shape seems like a good idea and I read real good reviews... but I just cant seem to get acquainted with it. For me the standard round peep is easier to use.

The main problem is the white vertical and horizontal lines are too hard to focus enough to use properly... maybe its my eyesight, but I have no problem using round peep... and the open top (long range) aperture is too hard to see as well... in photos its all find and dandy - it practical application its not as "crisp".

Am I missing something? Troy products are awesome! I'm not knocking the product... I have Troy FF hand guard and QD sling swivels and the BUIS is excellent in design and construction... but I'm thinking of sending it back for the round peep.

Anyone use this sight and have any comments?... any suggestions on how I might get better sight acquisition with the DOA?

I does look cool though (but I need function over form).
Old 07-15-2011, 6:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Troy may be willing to swap it, it can't hurt to ask. They have incredible service.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 07-15-2011, 6:58 PM
Made in the USA

^^^ I have no doubt they will swap it... just wondering if I'm missing something in the design/use of the doa?...

I Googled and cant really find much... lots of marketing type reviews - but nothing really addressing my concerns...

interestingly I have read others questioning the DOA vs round peep (prior to purchasing), and from what I've read most ended up with the round peep anyway.

I do plan to call Troy on Monday and ask them about it...
Old 07-15-2011, 7:11 PM
Made in the USA

found this post on M4Carbine... pretty much sums it up for me (at least I'm not the only one)...
http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.ph...2&postcount=17

I'm pretty sure I'll be swapping for round peep.

FWIW, I LOVE the low profile and solid lockup when in up position - and relatively easy folding (one handed takes a little practice)... great unit - I just think round is the way to go.
Old 07-18-2011, 7:27 PM
Made in the USA

FWIW (in case anyone else is concerned about the Di-Optic aperture)... I called Troy today and made arrangements to exchange the DOA for standard peep...

Troy rep, Jeff was very helpful and accommodating - and said it's not uncommon for people to prefer the standard peep (I figured I was in the minority, he indicated the opposite).

I'm really looking forward to getting the standard peep - I really love the folding aspect and the quality - and now I can actually use the thing (on the rare occasion I dont use RDS).
Old 07-20-2011, 3:00 PM

Old 07-20-2011, 7:50 PM
Made in the USA

it really isnt a picture thread as much as trying to see if I'm an oddball for not getting acclimated to the Di Optic aperture....

As it turns out - according to Troy rep, many people prefer the standard peep (as I do)...

I think the DOA is a cool "look" and if you simply shoulder a rifle with it and focus lining up the white lines on the rear site it seems like a semi-good idea... but in actual application it just doesnt work for me - and I cant see how it works for anyone in less than bright light... even then, once you aim properly the lines are completely out of focus anyway and become useless.

I cant post a pic anyway because I already sent it back and waiting for exchanged round peep... but if you are unfamiliar with the sights themselves, here they are: http://troyind.com/battlesights/rear...g-battlesights

Last edited by LBDamned; 07-20-2011 at 7:52 PM..