Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:39 AM

Would love to get in on this but can't accept delivery at my mountain place till Spring thaw. No way their truck can get up my snow covered driveway
Old 10-09-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLguy View Post
Would love to get in on this but can't accept delivery at my mountain place till Spring thaw. No way their truck can get up my snow covered driveway
I believe they have some kind of 6 month lay a way plan? Might want to look into that.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLguy View Post
They might be willing to work with you if you're okay with putting the deposit down. Call Sturdy Safe and ask if there is any problem. I've heard of people making payments on a safe over time.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:32 PM

Count me in
Old 10-09-2017, 9:54 PM

I'm in. I'll just take delivery here in SoCal, then drive it to place out of state.
Old 10-10-2017, 7:32 AM

Is anyone planning on get an Electric Hole done? I'd like to get one done for lights/electrical outlet, but curious on how exactly the hole will be drilled out.
Old 10-10-2017, 8:03 AM

Yes. I bought and shipped to them a D-Sub Power Plug for my last Sturdy Safe that they installed. I was able to plug a standard, right angle, Computer Power Cable to the outside of the safe. I asked them to put that expansion liner around it.

I am talking about having something like that done again this time. There is a little bit of an extra charge for it because of the time they end up spending on it. IMHO it is worth it because you get exactly what you want.

You could do something as simple as this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NY9CKRK/
or get fancy with this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KRJTJ0G/

Depending on how those are mounted, they may stick out some, so you might not want them on the back or one of the sides if you are going in a corner or against a wall. I used a right angle power adapter and it was high enough up from the bottom of the safe that the plug just touched the wall.

There are other ways to pass AC power through the safe, including just having a small hole drilled. I'd suggest having them use a grommet for strain relief and cord protection. The "cut" end of the cable goes into the safe from the outside, properly wired into an outlet.

I'll give it some more thought and if I come up with anything else for show-and-tell, I'll be sure to share it.
Old 10-10-2017, 9:06 AM

Thanks Quark. That's exactly what I will do.

Also, did you request any special kind of carpeting done?
Old 10-10-2017, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar View Post
Also, did you request any special kind of carpeting done?
I remember there being a small piece in the bottom of my last safe. Be sure to ask them when you put the deposit / order down with them. There was an even smaller piece that went in the door sill area that just got in the way. Maybe if I bothered to glue it down in in the corners it would have been okay. I think I ended up removing it.

Also, looks like that first kit I linked to is about as simple as it gets. One small through hole in the safe. Some expansion gasket material pumped into the hole and then feed the cord through. Just be aware of the install location / install height so that you clear any baseboards that you might have where the safe is going. You don't want to smash that cable against the wall if you can avoid it.
Old 10-10-2017, 9:43 AM

I used something like this to turn on the plug in LED light strip that I installed so the lights would come on when the door opens: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KSEE4G/ and something like this for the LEDs 20feet or a little more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKCBG6G/

Just an example. You could probably get a better price / better choice shopping around a bit more.
Old 10-10-2017, 2:12 PM

I do plan on getting a hole drilled but haven't decided if I want a receptacle in the safe to connect the LED lights and dehumidifier rod or just run the DC cable through the hole and get a desiccant product. Not sure how I feel about the non-stop constant power use of the rods. I know its not much but still it's like leaving a light on when you are not in the room....I still remember the look from my dad (right before the belt came off) when we did this repeatedly.
I've never had a "gun safe" but rather a wood cabinet that just had desiccant packs that I collected from other items shipped to me. Haven't had an issue with rust so far. Is the moisture worse with a steel safe than a wood cabinet?

I was actually thinking of having them delete the carpet all together and then putting something like a stall mat on the floor (which is also what I plan to use under the safe between the concrete and bottom of the safe):
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...t?cm_vc=-10005
For the door shelves (my safe will not be fire lined) I was thinking of using a self adhesive sponge neoprene strip rather than carpet: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ponge+neoprene

I haven't decided what to do on the wood safe shelves though....my thought was to to try to rid the safe of anything that holds moisture (like carpet) and cover with something non-absorbant. Might even go so far as to replace the shelves with sheet metal shelves.....but that would probably mean getting them made as I do not own a sheet metal brake.
Old 10-10-2017, 2:27 PM

Do they make a controller for the dehumidifier rods? I wouldn't run one without something that would only run them when needed. Then again, I live in the desert. If I want to dehumidify my safe, I open the door for a minute while I'm looking for something and close it again.

The carpeting in the floor is light weight / easily removed and not fastened in at all. I think some people like it to cover wires on the floor and other people just pull it right out. You could probably order the safe without any carpet on the shelves either and apply your own material to it. Find out what the shelves are made of. I suspect that what ever they are made out of (MDF or other) could easily be sealed and put back in.

Regarding wood cabinets: Wood absorbs and releases moisture. It is a living product in that sense. Steel stays at room temperature, so unless you expect warm moist air to get into your safe regularly, I don't think there is a condensation vector there beyond what your desiccant packs can handle. Also, maybe you already knew this, but just in case it helps: You can "renew" those desiccant packs by putting them in your oven on low temperature. Google it to find out what temperature and for how long...but basically you bake them at a low temperature to drive off any moisture they've absorbed and they are good as new.

I think you've got some good ideas. Sounds like you just need to figure out exactly what you want so you can dial it in, but you're off to a great start.
Old 10-10-2017, 4:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I was in a group buy for a Sturdy Safe and I can I really like my safe. Very well made as well. You guys will be satisfied with whatever safe you get.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 10-10-2017, 6:23 PM

I am sure they self regulate in some way so "non-stop" was probably over exaggerated a bit.

I am in North Texas so while humidity isn't as bad as the coastal area it is still pretty humid. I hear Arizona, Nevada, etc have issues with too little humidity when it comes to wood stocks and the like. Never had to deal with that problem.

Sturdy told me the top shelves are plywood with "supports to prevent bowing" and the side shelves are particle board.

It is reassuring to see so many people that seem to be genuinely happy with their Sturdy gun safes. If all the praises I've seen are genuine then I have to assume Sturdy is a company, successfully building a product right here in this country, without giving in the the pressures of cheap competition. We need a lot more of that!
Old 10-11-2017, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter6288 View Post
Sturdy told me the top shelves are plywood with "supports to prevent bowing" and the side shelves are particle board.
Unless things have changed since my group buy, my top shelf was made of particle board. I laminated a piece of 1/2" and 5/8" plywood together which turned out thicker than the PB and I still could cover the new shelf with the original piece of carpeting.
Also welded up a steel support tree for all of the shelves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brkt4 - Copy.jpg (50.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-11-2017, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar View Post
Is anyone planning on get an Electric Hole done? I'd like to get one done for lights/electrical outlet, but curious on how exactly the hole will be drilled out.
One hole was included in the price when I made my group buy. I requested an additional hole on the other side of the back wall as I didn't know yet where the safe was to be placed in relation to a wall outlet. Turned out that the extra hole was a no charge.
The standard hole is just large enough to slip a 110 cord through it. The Golden Rod dehumidifier comes with a detached prong tip so you push the cord through then wire up the prong tip.
I taped over the other unused hole.
Old 10-11-2017, 9:04 AM

Interesting. I was asking them in relation to the 42" and 48" wide safes so maybe the top shelves are plywood on the wider safes?
How did you attach the metal angle to the shelf support uprights? Did you weld them on to the uprights or did you eliminate the included brackets and just build a completely new support? Is that what you mean by "tree"
Old 10-11-2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I was asking them in relation to the 42" and 48" wide safes so maybe the top shelves are plywood on the wider safes?
How did you attach the metal angle to the shelf support uprights? Did you weld them on to the uprights or did you eliminate the included brackets and just build a completely new support? Is that what you mean by "tree"

The "tree" brackets (see photo) are welded onto a vertical stick of steel then hard glued to the front corner of the box frame and yes, I tossed out the over wobbly thin bookshelf hangers and supported their positions with shelf clips, top and bottom.
Thousands of rounds on the top shelf without any deflection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brkt2.JPG (73.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-11-2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
I am sure they self regulate in some way so "non-stop" was probably over exaggerated a bit.

I am in North Texas so while humidity isn't as bad as the coastal area it is still pretty humid. I hear Arizona, Nevada, etc have issues with too little humidity when it comes to wood stocks and the like. Never had to deal with that problem.

It is reassuring to see so many people that seem to be genuinely happy with their Sturdy gun safes. If all the praises I've seen are genuine then I have to assume Sturdy is a company, successfully building a product right here in this country, without giving in the the pressures of cheap competition. We need a lot more of that!
Too little humidity? Never heard of it. That's what a good oil is for. (tongue in cheek...I hate the humidity... Spent a week or two in Houston area where it was 99% humidity, over 100 degrees F and it felt like we were on the surface of the sun. I had the "bright" idea of going swimming...I couldn't tell when I was in the water and when I wasn't. Strangest damned thing I ever felt, that.)

On my old Sturdy Safe, I had some shelves 100% full of ammo and no bowing at all. That safe was 5 years old when I sold it for what I paid for it w/ the house. I had the fire liner, so I did not have shelves in the door. The shelves were pretty thick and designed to handle the load of ammo.

I think the shelves in the safe are good enough as-is and in 10 years or more if you think they are bowing a little bit, maybe replace them with something better at that point... a polyurethane glue sealed wood, sanded up to a smooth enough 1200 grit, would be cheap, easy, and look real nice. (Saw This Old House episode where they showed a wood worker rubbing polyurethane glue into wood, sanding it smooth, rubbing it with a wax to make the wood have a nice matte finish. That'd be real water tight for a long time to come.)
Old 10-11-2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
Unless things have changed since my group buy, my top shelf was made of particle board. I laminated a piece of 1/2" and 5/8" plywood together which turned out thicker than the PB and I still could cover the new shelf with the original piece of carpeting.
Also welded up a steel support tree for all of the shelves.
Particle board or MDF? MDF is a lot stronger and more stable of a material. Particle board, not so much unless it has been treated.
Old 10-11-2017, 4:32 PM

I'm pretty sure mine are MDF. Waaaaaay better than particle board. Zero shape distortion after ~3 years.
Old 10-11-2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarky42 View Post
Particle board or MDF? MDF is a lot stronger and more stable of a material. Particle board, not so much unless it has been treated.
Well Sturdy did tell me particle board for the side shelves. This was in an email I sent a few weeks ago asking a bunch of questions. I know a lot of folks that use both terms incorrectly so maybe they meant MDF but said particle board......in Texas "get me a coke" means "get me what ever soft drink you find first" so I ain't pointing fingers.

I wasn't too keen on the shelf supports I seen in their photos. I was actually thinking of seeing if they would change the vertical uprights to a beefier style with double rows of slots since that style has heftier supports unless I can change them out myself. Anybody know if they weld the shelf "runners" on to the safe or if they are bolted on somehow?
Old 10-11-2017, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Too little humidity? Never heard of it. That's what a good oil is for. (tongue in cheek...I hate the humidity... Spent a week or two in Houston area where it was 99% humidity, over 100 degrees F and it felt like we were on the surface of the sun. I had the "bright" idea of going swimming...I couldn't tell when I was in the water and when I wasn't. Strangest damned thing I ever felt, that.)
Should have been here in the 80's when we had >69 days at 100 degrees or more. I've lived here all my life and there were days during that spell that refused to go outside. It was like breathing through a hot, wet rag.

Last edited by Madhatter6288; 10-11-2017 at 5:13 PM.. Reason: Not quite 100 days....had 100 on the brain.
Old 10-11-2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Well Sturdy did tell me particle board for the side shelves. This was in an email I sent a few weeks ago asking a bunch of questions. I know a lot of folks that use both terms incorrectly so maybe they meant MDF but said particle board......in Texas "get me a coke" means "get me what ever soft drink you find first" so I ain't pointing fingers.

I wasn't too keen on the shelf supports I seen in their photos. I was actually thinking of seeing if they would change the vertical uprights to a beefier style with double rows of slots since that style has heftier supports unless I can change them out myself. Anybody know if they weld the shelf "runners" on to the safe or if they are bolted on somehow?
Excellent points. It was pretty brutal, but I was only visiting. To me, it was like breathing through a hot wet blanket with 20 pound weight sitting on my chest. I guess I'm spoiled with my dry heat.

About the shelves, best to ask them but if I recall correctly the shelves were welded in. The shelves were plenty strong but if you have something different in mind and are willing to pay them for it, I certainly think they'll hear you out. Their answer may depend on factors I can't predict, though.

I had a couple hundred pounds of ammo on a shelf or two (100 percent full, top to bottom / front to back) very sturdy.
Old 10-12-2017, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Not medium density fiberboard (MDF).
So happens I have the original top shelf out in the shop, complete with the factory grade stamp, ""flooring underlayment". Absolutely no measured structural guarantees, strictly made for only flat, fully supported applications as in fastened on top of structural subflooring.
The edge grain flakes off if you rub it as in particle board.
See photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2778.JPG (89.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2777.JPG (68.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 10-12-2017, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Anybody know if they weld the shelf "runners" on to the safe or if they are bolted on somehow?
They are tack welded.
Look at this photo and see the yellow arrow. I added this shelf bracket to further support top shelf and the back side leading edge of the small shelves.

Buy the bracket at a hardware store-mine is identical to Sturdy's.
Buy a length of wood screen bead.
Buy a tube of Loctite "stick'n seal" glue.
Paint the bracket if you don't like the silver metal look.
Put the screen bead into the recessed back of the bracket's channel.
Screw the channel into the wood screen bead. The screws will protrude through the wood SB.
Grind off the protruding screw tips slightly sub-flush to the wood SB.
Strike a line on the rear wall of the safe where you want to place the brace.
Glue the exposed side of the wood SB-just enough to avoid any need for cleanup as this glue is unforgiving.
Press the bracket to the safe's wall and let set for a few days. I think I juried up some temp pressure bracing to aid the adhesion.
Sounds like a lot of work but the end result is peace of mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brkt4 - Copy.jpg (50.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-12-2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
They are tack welded.
Look at this photo and see the yellow arrow. I added this shelf bracket to further support top shelf and the back side leading edge of the small shelves.

Buy the bracket at a hardware store-mine is identical to Sturdy's.
Buy a length of wood screen bead.
Buy a tube of Loctite "stick'n seal" glue.
Paint the bracket if you don't like the silver metal look.
Put the screen bead into the recessed back of the bracket's channel.
Screw the channel into the wood screen bead. The screws will protrude through the wood SB.
Grind off the protruding screw tips slightly sub-flush to the wood SB.
Strike a line on the rear wall of the safe where you want to place the brace.
Glue the exposed side of the wood SB-just enough to avoid any need for cleanup as this glue is unforgiving.
Press the bracket to the safe's wall and let set for a few days. I think I juried up some temp pressure bracing to aid the adhesion.
Sounds like a lot of work but the end result is peace of mind.
Interesting. The safe I had, there was a vertical piece of angle iron going up from the floor to the top shelf. Probably because it was a larger / wider safe. So that highlights an interesting thing here: If you get a smaller safe and the shelf isn't reinforced, it is easy to add some additional strength. The steps you gave only "sound" long at a glance...when you actually do that stuff it goes pretty quickly. Watching paint dry is probably the longest step.

On the other hand, if you get a bigger safe, there is a good chance that the shelves will already be reinforced vertically in the front / off center AND front to back horizontally as well. I now suspect this significantly varies by model.

Excellent info, above. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-12-2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Should have been here in the 80's when we had >69 days at 100 degrees or more. I've lived here all my life and there were days during that spell that refused to go outside. It was like breathing through a hot, wet rag.
They can keep that s**t for free. I ain't buyin'.
Old 10-12-2017, 8:34 PM

Since we're at 20 right now, do you guys think we can already have 15+ for sure to put in the deposit to start the process? Or did you guys want to wait a bit?
Old 10-12-2017, 8:39 PM

The last group buy had 25 names. 9 actually put deposits down. I'm aiming for 30 names to hopefully get at least 15 if not more.
Old 10-13-2017, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Interesting. The safe I had, there was a vertical piece of angle iron going up from the floor to the top shelf. Probably because it was a larger / wider safe. So that highlights an interesting thing here: If you get a smaller safe and the shelf isn't reinforced, it is easy to add some additional strength. The steps you gave only "sound" long at a glance...when you actually do that stuff it goes pretty quickly. Watching paint dry is probably the longest step.

On the other hand, if you get a bigger safe, there is a good chance that the shelves will already be reinforced vertically in the front / off center AND front to back horizontally as well. I now suspect this significantly varies by model.

Excellent info, above. Thanks for sharing!
I called Sturdy yesterday, and they brought up any possible issues with the shelves. On the 42"+ wide safes, the shelves have steel supports. Otherwise, the shelves are just plywood, but they haven't had any problems with sagging.

I'm moving into a new place and want my own safe, but man I don't know if I can wait a month.
Old 10-13-2017, 9:31 AM

Wait the month. It will be worth it. Your patience will be rewarded with a quality product that will outlast us.

I agree with Quarky and it is best to wait for thirty people. It is more than likely half the people that verbally commit will not pony up when it is time. Additionally, I just happened to find this thread by chance. So spread the word and I am sure we will hit the 30 verbal commitments sooner than you would expect.
Old 10-13-2017, 9:40 AM

I'm ready to order
Old 10-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Manufacturer/Vendor
CGN Contributor

Anyone who orders a Sturdy safe from this group buy (GB), I'll offer a discount on AVIS worth GB% + 10%. So if you get the 14%, I'll discount 24% on AVIS.

For AVIS-Lite, I can match the GB% for anyone who orders a safe on this GB.

I really support Sturdy safe. I got in on a great group buy a few years ago and the safe is just solid as a rock. Great customer service as well.

I also recommend to consider that about 50-60% of the "I'm definitely in" posts will convert to actual deposits. So aim for 28 commitments.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptanKrunch View Post
I'm moving into a new place and want my own safe, but man I don't know if I can wait a month.
14 percent is worth roughly $200 or possibly more depending on the safe you get.

I also don't plan on keeping the group buy open beyond 30 people signed up, so it might close in less than a month.

Also, between manufacturing and freight, there is already a lead time on getting your safe even if you ordered today. A few extra weeks isn't going to hurt you, but a couple hundred dollars could go towards a nice date with your significant other... just saying.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenguy View Post
Anyone who orders a Sturdy safe from this group buy (GB), I'll offer a discount on AVIS...
Very generous of you! Thank you for the support.
Old 10-13-2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
14 percent is worth roughly $200 or possibly more depending on the safe you get.

I also don't plan on keeping the group buy open beyond 30 people signed up, so it might close in less than a month.

Also, between manufacturing and freight, there is already a lead time on getting your safe even if you ordered today. A few extra weeks isn't going to hurt you, but a couple hundred dollars could go towards a nice date with your significant other... just saying.
I am ready to buy anytime I get the word to proceed. I'm as anxious as anyone to get things rolling but am willing to wait if it helps everyone.

Granted it is just my word but I am a committed barring some unforeseen catastrophe. I know Sturdy doesn't want to track deposits on an individual basis but man that sure would make it easy to know who is committed and what the optimal time is to close the group buy. I would put the deposit down today if I could.
Old 10-13-2017, 2:50 PM

I'm in.
Old 10-13-2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
I am ready to buy anytime I get the word to proceed. I'm as anxious as anyone to get things rolling but am willing to wait if it helps everyone.

Granted it is just my word but I am a committed barring some unforeseen catastrophe. I know Sturdy doesn't want to track deposits on an individual basis but man that sure would make it easy to know who is committed and what the optimal time is to close the group buy. I would put the deposit down today if I could.
Same here. I've been wanting a new safe or two for right about 18 months.
Old 10-13-2017, 9:25 PM

Looks like we have 21 on the list. I wouldn't mind putting a deposit ASAP. Maybe if we can, maybe do a run down on the list who is 100%. Maybe during the weekend find out how many people are actually willing and able to put a down payment this following week and call sturdy with their information. If we're lucky and have 15+, we can maybe get this thing started. At least we can get a rough estimate and clue how serious most people are instead of waiting for November since some people want to get the ball moving ASAP.