Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-18-2014, 7:07 PM

Default different types of survivalist books

hello all,

I am interested in buying survivalist books. There are so many out there it makes my head spin. A lot of the information I have seen is geared towards the "open space" which is great but I am really interested if any on CG'ers have any valuable sources for the suburban and urban settings. The different types I am interested in are:

1. The typical "outback" "forrest" setting.
2. The Suburban type setting.
3. The urban type setting.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Old 03-18-2014, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

Are you more sustainable living focused or security focused? Sources tend to lean more one way or the other.
Old 03-18-2014, 7:31 PM

Google "Ferfal" - He wrote a book about his experiences during the Argentine financial collapse living in the city - per Ferfal, the three essentials besides cash/gold are a pistol (he recommends Glock), bulletproof vest, and a years supply of food.
Old 03-18-2014, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

A good, basic and free survival guide is Mel Tappan, On Survival : pdf txt

It's old, but mostly timeless advice. (After you skip past the chapter 1 predictions of imminent collapse in the 80's, that is.)

Last edited by lasbrg; 03-18-2014 at 9:52 PM.. Reason: txt link added
Old 03-18-2014, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post
A good, basic and free survival guide is Mel Tappan, On Survival : pdf

It's old, but mostly timeless advice. (After you skip past the chapter 1 predictions of imminent collapse in the 80's, that is.)
Thank you! I downloaded it for future reading.
Old 03-18-2014, 9:17 PM

Not to thread jack.. but I'm quite interested in getting a good resource for edible/ medicinal plants. Maybe something that covers the Western US (or at least CA).

I've seen several for back east, but haven't found one that has good reviews for our side of the country.
Old 03-18-2014, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Are you more sustainable living focused or security focused? Sources tend to lean more one way or the other.
a bit of a "wishy washy" answer but both. Just interested in learning about survival, protection in basic areas.
Old 03-18-2014, 9:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Thank you! I downloaded it for future reading.
No problem. Another one I can recommend even more is Mao Tse-tung, On Guerrilla Warfare : html : pdf (FMFRP 12-18)

This would be for an advanced SHTF scenario, where everyone who will starve to death has starved already, and the bulk of the survivors have learned to scratch a meager living in the countryside. You and your men are a roving band living among the people in opposition to an occupying force of outsiders. Because the author is Mao, you might suspect that there would be communist doctrine, but their really isn't. The pdf version linked above is actually a US Marine Corps field manual. The historical context is the early-to-middle stages of resistance to the Japanese invasion of China in the 30's when the Communist Party was nominal allies of the Kuomintang nationalists. Because of this fact, the manual is almost purely instructional.

If you are familiar with "Sun Tzu, the Art of War", then "On Guerrilla Warfare" will seem similar, but much more relevant to the realities of a SHTF existence. Also the USMC translator has a deep understanding of the subject and his introduction is just as good as Mao's text. Forget everything you thought you knew about defending yourself and your family. This is the real deal.
Old 03-18-2014, 9:32 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
A good, basic and free survival guide is Mel Tappan, On Survival : pdf

Thank You!
Old 03-18-2014, 9:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyous68 View Post
Not to thread jack.. but I'm quite interested in getting a good resource for edible/ medicinal plants. Maybe something that covers the Western US (or at least CA).

I've seen several for back east, but haven't found one that has good reviews for our side of the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad40 View Post
a bit of a "wishy washy" answer but both. Just interested in learning about survival, protection in basic areas.
The Mel Tappan book has a good appendix with references to all the classic 70's sources. What he says about them is kind of funny.

Quote:
There are very few books worth having written specifically on the topic of long-term survival; however, there are a large number of good volumes on homesteading and various aspects of self-sufficiency such as operating small farms, trapping, raising livestock, veterinary medicine, basic construction and repair, using and making hand tools, as well as other how-to books on a variety of practical subjects. Bear in mind that the chief aim of long-term survival preparation is to become, insofar as possible, independent of the system: to provide the essentials of life for oneself without reliance upon a complex economy or sophisticated manufacturing and distribution facilities. Homesteading and self-sufficient living books are simply long-term survival texts which ignore the possibility of a hostile environment and the potential for violence. Because of that obvious shortcoming, I do not consider them to be complete guides for the survivalist, but they are, nevertheless, an essential part of a good survival library. Carla Emery's Old-Fashioned Recipe Book (not really what the title implies, but an invaluable one-volume summary of homestead and small-farm operation from milking a cow to butchering a pig); G. Logsdon, Homesteading; J. Seymour, The Guide to Self-Sufficiency; J. Vivian, Manual of Practical Homesteading are good examples of the genre. All of them provide useful information and some, such as Vivian's book, contain a good deal of nonsense as well. (Mr. Vivian seems not to believe in guns and thinks that one deserves meat on the table only if game is taken by primitive means.)

It is curious that few of the books devoted to living self-sufficiently in the country provide any detailed, reliable information on the kinds of guns and shooting necessary for foraging or even pest control -- and none, if my memory serves, even touch on the matter of personal security. In view of the fact that I know some of the authors to be shooters, I can only conclude that they are afraid of offending potential readers whose view of nature and the back-to-the-land movement was formulated entirely from cartoon features with talking animals. If you want to balance your approach to self-sufficiency, I have no choice but to recommend my own book, Survival Guns, since it is the only volume written specifically about the guns, accessories and shooting techniques essential to survivalists or anyone else living on a farm or homestead in the real world.