Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-30-2018, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealcarrypizza View Post
Chicago has even more gangs, and when CCW became shall issue in Chicago, crime dropped dramatically.

Academic study that shows crime dropped in Chicago when CCW issuance
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...1.2017.1400645

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...-carry-surges/

At this point, academic research disagrees with the "CCW is bad" argument, especially in cities with a lot of gangs like Chicago or LA.

Ignoring facts is what anti-vaxxers and climate change deniers do. I'm pretty sure LASD uses data science to fight crime. This is a natural step for community policing to share the burden.

To them, those are “your facts.” They have theirs.

Just like the climate change “facts.”

You trying to argue against a liberal anti CCW machine in CA. Your facts don’t makes sense to them.

Move to a CCW friendly county. Easy peasy
Old 12-30-2018, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
To them, those are “your facts.” They have theirs.

Just like the climate change “facts.”

You trying to argue against a liberal anti CCW machine in CA. Your facts don’t makes sense to them.

Move to a CCW friendly county. Easy peasy
The data overwhelmingly says CCW holders have a crime rate that is 30-100x LOWER than the general popuation. Texas and North Carolina PUBLISH their crime rates of CCW vs non-CCW holders. CCW holders are the safest population of people around.

A LIBERAL ELITES WORST FEAR is to be grouped with climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers. And to be labeled a DATA SCIENCE DENIER.

They will turn into dust like a Vampire that sees sunlight. Guaranteed.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:20 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Ignoring facts is what anti-vaxxers and climate change deniers do.
It's also what liberals do. Countless studies over the last 50 years have shown without valid argument that gun laws do nothing to reduce crime.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure LASD uses data science to fight crime. This is a natural step for community policing to share the burden.
You are confusing fighting crime with politically motivated policies and decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
It's also what liberals do. Countless studies over the last 50 years have shown without valid argument that gun laws do nothing to reduce crime. You are confusing fighting crime with politically motivated policies and decisions.
Those studies never make it into the mainstream press.

LA is full of communities that don't make the mainstream press. It's nothing new for an Angelino to go against the mainstream.

Lindsey supporters put Villanueva into office. He knows that. Villanueva owes Lindsey supporters some of his time.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:28 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
It's nothing new for an Angelino to go against the mainstream.
Especially for an Angelino in Texas

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Especially for an Angelino in Texas
Texas was great. Welcome to the mainstream there!

LAPD is under control of the City Council, the most corrupt city council in America. No way CCW will happen there.

LASD, you had Lindsey supporters as the swing vote.

Last edited by concealcarrypizza; 12-30-2018 at 10:33 PM..
Old 12-31-2018, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

AV is a politician now that he is Sheriff. His views will change or be changed. Even though he is the top elected official in the county. The influences are heavy of those with a dog in the fight, especially when it comes to guns and liberal laws.

He already wants to throw ICE out of the jails. Does that sound conservative?

As in a conservative that wants to allow CCWs.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
AV is a politician now that he is Sheriff. His views will change or be changed. Even though he is the top elected official in the county. The influences are heavy of those with a dog in the fight, especially when it comes to guns and liberal laws.

He already wants to throw ICE out of the jails. Does that sound conservative?

As in a conservative that wants to allow CCWs.

AV didn't run as a "conservative." He ran to get ICE out of the jails and to issue more CCWs than McDonnell, but fewer than Lindsey would.

During the campaign AV highlighted that he is a Dem.
Old 12-31-2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
[...]

A LIBERAL ELITES WORST FEAR is to be grouped with climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers. And to be labeled a DATA SCIENCE DENIER.

They will turn into dust like a Vampire that sees sunlight. Guaranteed.
Maybe not. Examples of goofball academic studies on gun control are not hard to find. And it's not like the academic publishing industry is known for being a promoter of truth, unless you're one of those people who has truly drank the "peer-reviewed-study=knowledge" koolaid.

Over the last sixty years, the left has thoroughly co-opted academia. To a leftist, the gun issue is just as much settled as evolution: both are facts, guns are bad, and we're all the result of a long series of happy accidents (evolution). There is just no questioning or disputing of either "fact" allowed any more, because both are based on "science." You can't realistically expect academia-- the leftist equivalent of Vatican City in the leftist secular religion-- to reverse itself overnight on a settled "fact" like "guns are bad," any more than you could realistically expect the real Vatican City to reverse itself on the celibacy of the priesthood.

Quote:
Those studies never make it into the mainstream press.
LA is full of communities that don't make can't read the mainstream press.
Lindsey supporters put Villanueva into office. He knows that. Villanueva owes Lindsey supporters some of his time.
Villanueva filed at least one lawsuit over promotional exams he couldn't pass, so while it may be good to hope for the best, it's also wise to plan for the worst. He plainly describes himself as a progressive in this video, and while the native language of most pols is lies, I wouldn't be surprised if he lives up to that admission. At the same time, who would have guessed ten years ago how Sheriff Hutchens in OC would leave office with 21K CCW permits issued? Was there any indication of that in the press? Time will tell with respect to Villanueva.
Old 12-31-2018, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

Default Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

AV didn't run as a "conservative." He ran to get ICE out of the jails and to issue more CCWs than McDonnell, but fewer than Lindsey would.

During the campaign AV highlighted that he is a Dem.

Oh yeah sorry. I was being sarcastic since they were talking about how dems were anti CCW. Failed attempt at sarcasm. I was trying to say he wasn’t exactly CCW friendly. Issuing one to someone who is not sworn and not a donor would be more the Jimbo.
Old 01-03-2019, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

So are there any known applicants that were recently approved of a CCW in Los Angeles County/City?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation LASD's new CCW Policy is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete75 View Post
So are there any known applicants that were recently approved of a CCW in Los Angeles County/City?
LA Co just got a new sheriff less than a month ago, so doubt anyone's been approved/denied by him yet.

The new LASD CCW policy is out: http://lasd.org/pdfjs/CCW_Licensing_Policy_Jan_2019.pdf

Looks pretty much the same as the old one, but since AV claims he'll actually issue according to it, LA Co is light red on the CA CCW GC map now. Wish I could say yellow, but can't. Time will tell as people apply and get issued or denied and post about their experiences.
Old 01-04-2019, 2:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For anyone who wants to compare the old (2018 Aug 01) CCW Policy to the new one (2019 Jan 01), a copy of the key/Good Cause parts of each of them with link to source document webpage. I tried to copy & paste them in toto, but since they lose their formatting, it becomes a mess with many lines having only a word or two....

2018/McDonnell:
Quote:
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department

Concealed Weapon Licensing Policy

The issuance of licenses enabling a private citizen to carry a concealed weapon (CCW)
is of great concern to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. The Department’s
overriding policy is that no concealed weapon license should be granted merely for the
personal convenience of the applicant. No position or job classification in itself shall
constitute good cause for the issuance, or for the denial, of a CCW license. Each
application shall be individually reviewed for cause, and the applicant will be notified by
writing within 90 days of the application, or within 30 days after receipt of the applicant’s
criminal background check from the Department of Justice, that the CCW license was
either approved or denied.

In accordance with California Penal Code § 26150 et. seq., and subject to Department
policy and procedures, any Los Angeles County resident may obtain a CCW application
for authorization to carry a concealed weapon. Applications may be obtained from any
sheriff’s patrol station or directly from the Assistant Sheriff’s Office. Completed
applications may be submitted to any of these units for processing.

<snip of types of licenses, expiration periods and training requirements>

Qualifications for a CCW License

To qualify for a CCW, each applicant must demonstrate (1) proof of good moral
character, (2) that good cause exists, and (3) that the applicant is a resident of the
county
or a city within the county, or, that the applicant spends a substantial period of
time
in the applicant’s place of employment or business in the county or a city within the
county. In addition, the applicant must complete the training requirements as listed
above.

According to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department policy (5-09/380.10) and the
California Supreme Court (CBS, Inc. v. Block, (1986) 42 Cal.3d 646), good cause shall
exist only if there is convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life, or of great
bodily harm
to the applicant, his spouse, or dependent child, which cannot be
adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which danger cannot
be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be
significantly mitigated by the applicant’s carrying of a concealed firearm.

The character requirement will be fulfilled by, but not limited to, a criminal history check
through the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation. The good cause
requirement will only be fulfilled by thoroughly justifying the applicant’s need to the
Sheriff or his designee on the application form. The residency requirement will be
fulfilled upon presentation of an approved, recognized identification card and at least
one recently canceled item of United States mail.
More at: http://lasd.org/pdfjs/ConcealedWeapo...icyAug2018.pdf

2019/Villenueva:
Quote:

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department

Concealed Weapon Licensing Policy

The issuance of licenses enabling a private citizen to carry a concealed weapon (CCW)
is of great concern to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. The Department’s
overriding policy is that no concealed weapon license should be granted merely for the
personal convenience of the applicant. No position or job classification in itself shall
constitute good cause for the issuance, or for the denial, of a CCW license. Each
application shall be individually reviewed for cause, and the applicant will be notified by
writing within 90 days of the application, or within 30 days after receipt of the applicant’s
criminal background check from the Department of Justice, that the CCW license was
either approved or denied.

In accordance with California Penal Code § 26150 et. seq., and subject to Department
policy and procedures, any Los Angeles County resident may obtain a CCW application
for authorization to carry a concealed weapon. Applications may be obtained from any
sheriff’s patrol station or directly from the Executive Officer’s Office. Completed
applications may be submitted to any of these units for processing

<snip of types of licenses, expiration periods and training requirements>

Qualifications for a CCW License

To qualify for a CCW, each applicant must demonstrate (1) proof of good moral
character, (2) that good cause exists, and (3) that the applicant is a resident of the
county
or a city within the county, or, that the applicant spends a substantial period of
time
in the applicant’s place of employment or business in the county or a city within the
county. In addition, the applicant must complete the training requirements as listed
above.

According to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department policy (5-09/380.10) and the
California Supreme Court (CBS, Inc. v. Block, (1986) 42 Cal.3d 646), good cause shall
exist only if there is convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life, or of great
bodily harm
to the applicant, his spouse, or dependent child, which cannot be
adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which danger cannot
be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be
significantly mitigated by the applicant’s carrying of a concealed firearm.

The character requirement will be fulfilled by, but not limited to, a criminal history check
through the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation. The good cause
requirement will only be fulfilled by thoroughly justifying the applicant’s need to the
Sheriff or his designee on the application form. The residency requirement will be
fulfilled upon presentation of an approved, recognized identification card and at least
one recently canceled item of United States mail.
More at:
http://lasd.org/pdfjs/CCW_Licensing_Policy_Jan_2019.pdf

Last edited by Paladin; 01-04-2019 at 2:52 PM..
Old 01-04-2019, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

Anything different you notice off hand?
Old 01-04-2019, 2:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm still editing/formatting. I'll let you compare them as I do that....

FWIW I do NOT live in LA Co....
Old 01-04-2019, 2:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Done! Another full hour spent/wasted on a county I don't even live in doing what CGNers who do live there won't do for themselves.... (Is Paladin getting tired of wiping other adults ...es? Yes, Paladin is getting tired of wiping other adults' ...es....)

Now that they've been properly transcribed/transferred to CGN, I'll let LA Co people compare them and let the rest of us know if there's ANY changes, either good or bad. (Of course there's probably changes to training requirements since the state changed the law on that.)

Last edited by Paladin; 01-04-2019 at 2:57 PM..
Old 01-04-2019, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

Default Los Angeles

Quote:
Done! Another full hour spent/wasted on a county I don't even live in doing what CGNers who do live there won't do for themselves.... (Is Paladin getting tired of wiping other adults ...es? Yes, Paladin is getting tired of wiping other adults' ...es....)

Now that they've been properly transcribed/transferred to CGN, I'll let LA Co people compare them and let the rest of us know if there's ANY changes, either good or bad. (Of course there's probably changes to training requirements since the state changed the law on that.)

Haha good work sir!

I’m sure no one in LA will appreciate it as you would expect

I say that in jest of course. Next they going to want you to do their homework!

Last edited by Yodaman; 01-04-2019 at 5:49 PM..
Old 01-08-2019, 2:39 PM

Is the LASD website not working for anyone else? I was looking to get a copy of the application to give it a go but I keep getting a 403 Forbidden.
Old 01-08-2019, 2:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calitor View Post
Is the LASD website not working for anyone else? I was looking to get a copy of the application to give it a go but I keep getting a 403 Forbidden.
The CCW page seems to work as does the CCW Licensing Policy link.

http://lasd.org/ccw_info.html
Old 01-08-2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
The CCW page seems to work as does the CCW Licensing Policy link.

http://lasd.org/ccw_info.html
I'm going to have to try another device. Your link sent me to the same 403 Forbidden page.
Old 01-08-2019, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm going to have to try another device. Your link sent me to the same 403 Forbidden page.

Works for me. Are you on WIFI that would for some reason block you?
Old 01-08-2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Works for me. Are you on WIFI that would for some reason block you?
Interesting... I am at my home office using my internet service via Spectrum. I turned off my WiFi on my cellphone and clicked the link using my phone carriers network and it works fine... I guess Spectrum doesn't like LASD's website.

Thanks for the link. I'll give this application a go and see how it turns out.
Old 01-08-2019, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Interesting... I am at my home office using my internet service via Spectrum. I turned off my WiFi on my cellphone and clicked the link using my phone carriers network and it works fine... I guess Spectrum doesn't like LASD's website.

Thanks for the link. I'll give this application a go and see how it turns out.

Maybe it liked Jim McDonald better
Old 01-08-2019, 3:35 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:

Your time and effort is appreciated!

According to WinMerge, the only difference is as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonnell
sheriff’s patrol station or directly from the Assistant Sheriff’s Office. Completed
applications may be submitted to any of these units for processing.
vs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanueva
sheriff’s patrol station or directly from the Executive Officer’s Office. Completed
applications may be submitted to any of these units for processing
Old 01-13-2019, 12:50 AM

I applied for a CCW over a year ago and as expected, was denied by Jim McDonnell's office. I was a victim of a stalker (a disgruntled ex-client). I have a clean record, submitted strong evidence to accompany my statement of good cause, including many photographs of my stalker parking outside of workplace and home with time stamps, copies of email threats from the stalker, text messages with neighbors, and even moved to a different area, to no avail. I genuinely feared for the safety of myself and my young family, but it was not enough for Jim McDonnell. I am not sure even if my kid was harmed, it would convince McDonnell. I have not applied again since. I would try again now that Villanueva is in office, but I am afraid getting rejected again. Getting rejected too many times cannot look good on my record, since the application asks if you have applied before and the reason for the past rejection. Upon reviewing the "updated" policy under Villanueva, I did not see anything that is signicantly different as a practical matter. I guess my only option is to wait and see how others fare under Villanueva. Moving to Orange County is not an option at the moment. It is really frustrating.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflakes View Post
I applied for a CCW over a year ago and as expected, was denied by Jim McDonnell's office. I was a victim of a stalker (a disgruntled ex-client). I have a clean record, submitted strong evidence to accompany my statement of good cause, including many photographs of my stalker parking outside of workplace and home with time stamps, copies of email threats from the stalker, text messages with neighbors, and even moved to a different area, to no avail. I genuinely feared for the safety of myself and my young family, but it was not enough for Jim McDonnell. I am not sure even if my kid was harmed, it would convince McDonnell. I have not applied again since. I would try again now that Villanueva is in office, but I am afraid getting rejected again. Getting rejected too many times cannot look good on my record, since the application asks if you have applied before and the reason for the past rejection. Upon reviewing the "updated" policy under Villanueva, I did not see anything that is signicantly different as a practical matter. I guess my only option is to wait and see how others fare under Villanueva. Moving to Orange County is not an option at the moment. It is really frustrating.

What “record” are you talking about?

Like with CADOJ?

And why are you worried about getting denied again. Do you tho k it will affect you if you ever ally in another county?
Old 01-13-2019, 8:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I applied for a CCW over a year ago and as expected, was denied by Jim McDonnell's office.

I was a victim of a stalker (a disgruntled ex-client). I have a clean record, submitted strong evidence to accompany my statement of good cause, including many photographs of my stalker parking outside of workplace and home with time stamps, copies of email threats from the stalker, text messages with neighbors, and even moved to a different area, to no avail.

I genuinely feared for the safety of myself and my young family, but it was not enough for Jim McDonnell. I am not sure even if my kid was harmed, it would convince McDonnell. I have not applied again since.

I would try again now that Villanueva is in office, but I am afraid getting rejected again. Getting rejected too many times cannot look good on my record, since the application asks if you have applied before and the reason for the past rejection.

Upon reviewing the "updated" policy under Villanueva, I did not see anything that is signicantly different as a practical matter. I guess my only option is to wait and see how others fare under Villanueva.

Moving to Orange County is not an option at the moment. It is really frustrating.
Paragraph breaks are "good things"....

Why are you "afraid" of a denial? You just have to explain the reason for it (lack of GC per McDonnell's GC standard). Since Villenueve claims he'll use a different GC standard, that denial won't matter.

You may not have to move to OC. IIRC, there are cities within LA Co that issue more readily than LASD. The best example is LAPD for the City of Los Angeles has a more liberal CCW policy than LASD had under McDonnell (but that's not saying much). Torrance is another city to look into, as is Glendale/Glendora (I always mix those up). West Covina was trying, but I'm don't think they were successful. If nothing else, we should win a "right to bear arms" from SCOTUS probably before 2020 July 01, but maybe 2021.

If you want to do something worthwhile for all LA Co CGNers, rather than just complain/whine, you can do what I did for Santa Clara Co CGNers (no, I don't live in Santa Clara Co or know folks who do), and make up a list of ALL incorporated cities, then find out which ones have their own PDs and of those find out which ones issue CCWs and provide information about each of them. See: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1473741

Last edited by Paladin; 01-13-2019 at 8:09 AM..
Old 01-13-2019, 11:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation

This applies to EVERYONE in LA Co.

Quote:
If you want to do something worthwhile for all LA Co CGNers, rather than just complain/whine, you can do what I did for Santa Clara Co CGNers (no, I don't live in Santa Clara Co or know folks who do), and make up a list of ALL incorporated cities, then find out which ones have their own PDs and of those find out which ones issue CCWs and provide information about each of them. See: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1473741
Old 01-13-2019, 1:35 PM

Quote:
What “record” are you talking about?

Like with CADOJ?

And why are you worried about getting denied again. Do you tho k it will affect you if you ever ally in another county?

Sorry for not being clear, I meant my background record is clean, except for some minor traffic tickets, i.e. speeding.

I guess I am not sure how having been rejected before will affect the chances of success in subsequent application(s), either in the same county or in a different county. In my mind, I was thinking that they surely have a record that I have applied once before. If past rejection plays an important factor in their decisions in the new application, I was worried that they might think that (1) if the good cause was not sufficient before, why would it be sufficient now, and (2) since it has been over a year since the first application was denied, maybe the exigent circumstances that would have warranted a CCW at that time have now passed.

I don't know. I would love to hear everyone's opinion on this.
Old 01-13-2019, 1:43 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Sorry for not being clear, I meant my background record is clean, except for some minor traffic tickets, i.e. speeding.

I guess I am not sure how having been rejected before will affect the chances of success in subsequent application(s), either in the same county or in a different county. In my mind, I was thinking that they surely have a record that I have applied once before. If past rejection plays an important factor in their decisions in the new application, I was worried that they might think that (1) if the good cause was not sufficient before, why would it be sufficient now, and (2) since it has been over a year since the first application was denied, maybe the exigent circumstances that would have warranted a CCW at that time have now passed.

Yes, a standard question is "have you ever been denied a CCW?"
You are given the opportunity to explain any answers given, nobody is a saint.

Being rejected by LACO/LAC for lack of good cause will have no impact on whether you are approved or rejected by a pro-issue county, and will be unlikely to have any impact on reapplication should issue policy change in your current county/city.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2019, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Paragraph breaks are "good things"....

Why are you "afraid" of a denial? You just have to explain the reason for it (lack of GC per McDonnell's GC standard). Since Villenueve claims he'll use a different GC standard, that denial won't matter.

You may not have to move to OC. IIRC, there are cities within LA Co that issue more readily than LASD. The best example is LAPD for the City of Los Angeles has a more liberal CCW policy than LASD had under McDonnell (but that's not saying much). Torrance is another city to look into, as is Glendale/Glendora (I always mix those up). West Covina was trying, but I'm don't think they were successful. If nothing else, we should win a "right to bear arms" from SCOTUS probably before 2020 July 01, but maybe 2021.

Thanks for your comments and tips! I really appreciate it. I read a lot of your past posts too, and they all have been really helpful.

As I explained in my reply to Yodaman, I guess I was afraid how much weight the rejection of my first application will be taken into account. My concern was what if because there was a record of having a rejection before, they might think that if the good cause was not sufficient before when the concern for safety was really fresh, it may not be enough now since more time has passed. I was concerned that they may believe that the exigent circumstances that may have warranted a CCW then, no longer exist now. Then again, this is all my subjective conjecture.
Old 01-13-2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, a standard question is "have you ever been denied a CCW?"
You are given the opportunity to explain any answers given, nobody is a saint.

Being rejected by LACO/LAC for lack of good cause will have no impact on whether you are approved or rejected by a pro-issue county, and will be unlikely to have any impact on reapplication should issue policy change in your current county/city.
Thanks. I trust you have more knowledge and experience on this, and if what you are saying is true, it gives me hope to consider reapplying.
Old 01-13-2019, 3:45 PM

Quote:

What was the reason you got rejected? Traffic tickets could be a reason especially if you didn't disclose during your application.
Old 01-13-2019, 7:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
As I explained in my reply to Yodaman, I guess I was afraid how much weight the rejection of my first application will be taken into account.
Yeah, they want to know about it, they'll look into the reasons why you were denied and make up their own mind using their own standards (for GC and GMC).

Quote:
My concern was what if because there was a record of having a rejection before, they might think that if the good cause was not sufficient before when the concern for safety was really fresh, it may not be enough now since more time has passed.
(already answered)

Quote:
I was concerned that they may believe that the exigent circumstances that may have warranted a CCW then, no longer exist now. Then again, this is all my subjective conjecture.
That's right and you'll never know until you try. What's the worst thing that can happen? You'll be denied yet again. But guess what? Between 2020 July and 2021 July we should win a Right to Bear Arms at SCOTUS! Then things like requiring "Good Cause" will be unconstitutional.

Until then, just carry pepper spray and obey the 4-S Rule, which you should be doing already and should continue to do even after getting a CCW and EDCing.
Old 01-13-2019, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

I don’t think the rejection is itself is a reason why you would be denied by another county. UNLESS the reason is a reason that would carry over in an application somewhere else (w.g. Recent tickets, etc...)

But as Paladin said, they will use any info they get to make up their own mind.

If you not applying for a job where that would really matter anytime soon. Apply away.
Old 01-13-2019, 7:31 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Until then, just carry pepper spray and obey the 4-S Rule, which you should be doing already and should continue to do even after getting a CCW and EDCing.
This.

A CCW is not a permit to be a cowboy.
If anything, it forces you to be more careful.
In many ways, the attitude and behavior that go along with having a CCW make it less likely that you will need to use your weapon.
Situational awareness, avoiding shady locations, staying away from shady people.

The 4-S rule should be printed on the back of every CCW

Avoid:
Stupid People
Stupid Places
Stupid Things
Stupid Times

Violating one presents an increased risk of needing to defend yourself.
Violating three almost guarantees a situation sooner rather than later.
Violating four means you're a typical college student.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2019, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This.

A CCW is not a permit to be a cowboy.
If anything, it forces you to be more careful.
In many ways, the attitude and behavior that go along with having a CCW make it less likely that you will need to use your weapon.
Situational awareness, avoiding shady locations, staying away from shady people.

The 4-S rule should be printed on the back of every CCW

Avoid:
Stupid People
Stupid Places
Stupid Things
Stupid Times

Violating one presents an increased risk of needing to defend yourself.
Violating three almost guarantees a situation sooner rather than later.
Violating four means you're a typical college student.

Haha 4S rule....that’s awesome!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:53 PM

You guys are great. Thanks for the comments. I am glad I found this supportive community. I am learning a lot for sure.

On the disclosure, yes, I did disclose everything, including the last speeding ticket in 2002 which was resolved. No rock was left unturned in my first application. I wanted to make sure everything was transparent. I was just surprised that even with my real circumstances, the good cause standard was so high that it was not sufficient.
Old 01-14-2019, 6:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I was just surprised that even with my real circumstances, the good cause standard was so high that it was not sufficient.
That's because you probably never read what the California State Auditor found re. LASD/McDonnell during their audit of Sacto, LA and SD SOs' CCW practices: McDonnell didn't follow his own policy in 25 out of 25 CCW applications inspected.
Old 01-14-2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
That's because you probably never read what the California State Auditor found re. LASD/McDonnell during their audit of Sacto, LA and SD SOs' CCW practices: McDonnell didn't follow his own policy in 25 out of 25 CCW applications inspected.
You're right, I have never read about that. That is crazy. I will have to find that article on the internet and read up on it.