Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-28-2014, 8:24 PM

Thumbs down Am I the only one who gets crap for liking guns?

Whether it be friends, classmates in college, or family members, I get a lot of crap for being into guns! I'm told that I can't even tell my grandparents I have a gun... I live in a semi gun-friendly town with conservative family but that does not seem to make any difference!

Does anyone have this problem?

(This is definitely not going to keep me from putting my NRA sticker on my car as soon as it comes in the mail )
Old 03-28-2014, 8:33 PM

I dont think you are alone.

Express yourself.

Last edited by gsrious; 03-28-2014 at 8:36 PM..
Old 03-28-2014, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunsmoke View Post
Whether it be friends, classmates in college, or family members, I get a lot of crap for being into guns! I'm told that I can't even tell my grandparents I have a gun... I live in a semi gun-friendly town with conservative family but that does not seem to make any difference!

(This is definitely not going to keep me from putting my NRA sticker on my car as soon as it comes in the mail )
You like guns? lol loser.

(Kidding!!)
Old 03-28-2014, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacx22 View Post
You like guns? lol loser.

(Kidding!!)
Haha the reaction I usually get is shock and then some form of 'Why would you want to take up such a "dangerous" hobby?' I'm sorry, it's only dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

I went into Walmart to ask where their ammo was and the guy looked like I had just confessed to murder or something. Guess I don't look like a gun gal
Old 03-28-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
'Why would you want to take up such a "dangerous" hobby?' I'm sorry, it's only dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
Haha, it isn't dangerous. You're behind the safest part of the gun. You could teach grandma to pull the trigger.

Not to change the topic, but THIS is dangerous....................

Yes, it is a woman behind the controls.

I've seen people die in my racing days. I've never seen anyone shot at a range let alone killed. It floors me people think firearms are a crazy deadly sport.
Old 03-29-2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:

Welcome to Calguns. Lots of us have this problem. A year ago I decided to get back into shooting and my wife is not happy. She grew up around guns and her dad took her shooting. She is fine if the guns stay with her dad, but she is not happy that I have my guns at home or that I have introduced our now 19 year old so to guns.

Personally, I believe that as the hoplophobes see that they live among more gun owners that are normal every day people who are not violent criminals a few might realize guns are no different than any other tool.

My son is in college also. He has converted a couple of friends by inviting them to go to the range with us. Something about pulling the trigger, smelling the gun powder, and feeling the recoil just overcomes people's fears when they are introduced to guns in a safe setting.

So, do not hide, let them see you are still the same person, you just happen to have an interest in guns. It is no different than an interest in motorcycles, cars, or sports. It just happens that this past time also provides a very good method of self-defense if the need ever arises.
Old 03-29-2014, 5:24 AM

My family which is a combination of Democrat and Liberal are all into guns, some are ambivalent towards them, but either spouses are ex-military and have collections, or like me and have always had them, no one thinks about them one way or another since we were raised with them.

As far as anyone else is concerned I never mention them. This was instilled in me since I was a little girl by my Father back in the dawn of time.

I asked my sister who is not into guns but her husband is ex Black Beret, "You do not find it weird that I had guns as long as you have known me?", She replied, "No, they were all over the house it was just normal to me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah12 View Post
Welcome to Calguns. Lots of us have this problem. A year ago I decided to get back into shooting and my wife is not happy. She grew up around guns and her dad took her shooting. She is fine if the guns stay with her dad, but she is not happy that I have my guns at home or that I have introduced our now 19 year old so to guns.

Personally, I believe that as the hoplophobes see that they live among more gun owners that are normal every day people who are not violent criminals a few might realize guns are no different than any other tool.

My son is in college also. He has converted a couple of friends by inviting them to go to the range with us. Something about pulling the trigger, smelling the gun powder, and feeling the recoil just overcomes people's fears when they are introduced to guns in a safe setting.

So, do not hide, let them see you are still the same person, you just happen to have an interest in guns. It is no different than an interest in motorcycles, cars, or sports. It just happens that this past time also provides a very good method of self-defense if the need ever arises.
Do not forget about the noise, gotta love the noise!

Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 03-29-2014 at 5:30 AM..
Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 AM

I'm a relatively new gun owner, did not grow up with guns and most friends and family do not have them. And I live in the Bay Area. Most of my friends and family were fine with it, although the circumstances for my getting it in the first place were for protection against an existing danger. But those who don't know there's a real reason were still pretty much fine with it and I have found that many of the women I know are starting to take interest in learning to handle guns itself. And we are planning to take a group of ladies to a Women on Target event in a couple of months.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Basically libtards are anti gun . Hang around with non libtards and there will be no problems.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't get too much of it. A lot has to do with who you tell. My grandparents aren't around anymore and I am the most gun nutty in my family. But, even my dad is coming around. He's not buying them, but I don't get crap about them.

There are many things less dangerous than guns. In all honesty, most things are less dangerous. I wouldn't worry about it.

Part of the issue is that people don't talk about it so it is thought of as an anomaly. There are more owners than many realize.

My parents were out last week and my dad asked me if I had to register my handguns. I kind of laughed and said, nope, and I can go buy one today without a background check. I told him that most of the country operates that way, but if you watch the news, you wouldn't know it.

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 03-29-2014, 11:40 AM

Gun owners are the minority in CA it feels like at times.
Old 03-29-2014, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimid8tor View Post
I don't get too much of it. A lot has to do with who you tell. My grandparents aren't around anymore and I am the most gun nutty in my family. But, even my dad is coming around. He's not buying them, but I don't get crap about them.

There are many things less dangerous than guns. In all honesty, most things are less dangerous. I wouldn't worry about it.

Part of the issue is that people don't talk about it so it is thought of as an anomaly. There are more owners than many realize.

My parents were out last week and my dad asked me if I had to register my handguns. I kind of laughed and said, nope, and I can go buy one today without a background check. I told him that most of the country operates that way, but if you watch the news, you wouldn't know it.
My step-father and his family are from Boise. Many years ago, it seemed every one in that area had guns. I remember visiting the homes of people and seeing loaded guns stored on bookshelves or mantles, all within easy reach if needed for self-defense.

When the high tech industry started booming there it has attracted people who tend to be antis.

My step-father's family also owned a cabin in a small town in northern Idaho and everyone open carried there. It was 40 miles off the paved road and a sheriff's deputy might drive through twice a week. I loved the times I spent in Idaho. I cannot wait until retirement so I can move there and feel free again.
Old 03-30-2014, 6:06 AM

Quote:

Most think it is a bad idea to say, 'Hey, I have valuables, come rob me!'

Owning a big safe just begs, 'Here are valuables, please break in!'
In my opinion it just keeps out the honest people, like locking your car. Pros can break into anything.

I am not sure how to raise my hand and say, 'I am a gun owning libtard', without letting myself in for being robbed of my valuables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Basically libtards are anti gun . Hang around with non libtards and there will be no problems.
Apparently you are hanging around with the wrong libtards......

Disclaimer: While hunting in Alaska my bush pilot and I suffered engine failure and crashed into a lake. I had to hike out with a broken arm. All my valuables were lost in the bottom of the lake.

Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 03-30-2014 at 6:08 AM..
Old 03-30-2014, 6:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03fatboy View Post
Gun owners are the minority in CA it feels like at times.

Not as much as much as you might think. They are definitely the minority, but they are out there and most don't know calguns exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah12 View Post
My step-father and his family are from Boise. Many years ago, it seemed every one in that area had guns. I remember visiting the homes of people and seeing loaded guns stored on bookshelves or mantles, all within easy reach if needed for self-defense.

When the high tech industry started booming there it has attracted people who tend to be antis.

My step-father's family also owned a cabin in a small town in northern Idaho and everyone open carried there. It was 40 miles off the paved road and a sheriff's deputy might drive through twice a week. I loved the times I spent in Idaho. I cannot wait until retirement so I can move there and feel free again.
I totally understand but the two tech companies employ maybe 5K people so they are vastly outnumbered. I don't know that is changed the open carry tendencies much considering it is just a sign of the times. People still open carry, but not too often. I wish I lived in a smaller town where everyone open carried all the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleOldLady View Post
Most think it is a bad idea to say, 'Hey, I have valuables, come rob me!'

Owning a big safe just begs, 'Here are valuables, please break in!'
In my opinion it just keeps out the honest people, like locking your car. Pros can break into anything.

I am not sure how to raise my hand and say, 'I am a gun owning libtard', without letting myself in for being robbed of my valuables.

Disclaimer: While hunting in Alaska my bush pilot and I suffered engine failure and crashed into a lake. I had to hike out with a broken arm. All my valuables were lost in the bottom of the lake.
I subscribe to that theory. Not many people come in to my home and only a subset of those know I own and shoot. I don't advertise what I have for just the reasons you described. But, I don't hide it from my family (even the liberal ones) or close friends. OP was talking more about family in the OP.

And your disclaimer is awesome!

Old 03-30-2014, 6:58 AM
Calguns Addict

OP, do you think you are getting crap because you are female? If so, I would throw it back at your family and ask them why they think a woman can't take care of and protect herself? Or take part in a particular hobby? I always find it interesting how liberals like to talk equality, but their actions speak otherwise.

Sorry about posting originally in the ladies forum. I didn't notice that the first time I posted.

Old 03-30-2014, 7:07 AM

Quote:
OP, do you think you are getting crap because you are female? If so, I would throw it back at your family and ask them why they think a woman can't take care of and protect herself? Or take part in a particular hobby? I always find it interesting how liberals like to talk equality, but their actions speak otherwise.

Sorry about posting originally in the ladies forum. I didn't notice that the first time I posted.
Great topic and worth the dialog no matter where it is!

My mistake for not reading the post better. All my family either owns or have spouses that own so that is not an issue for me.
For instance my Father was a Korean vet and I have Vietnam vets all over the place. Interesting to say all the Vietnam vets are libtards and gun owners. Go figure...

Dalai Lama

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 03-30-2014 at 7:10 AM..
Old 03-30-2014, 7:12 AM

I find that those that criticize me about using and/or owning do not know anything firsthand about firearms.

Therefore, I look at it as an opportunity/obligation to enlighten them!
Old 03-30-2014, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally View Post
I find that those that criticize me about using and/or owning do not know anything firsthand about firearms.

Therefore, I look at it as an opportunity/obligation to enlighten them!
Indeed!

I usually talk about clipazines, shoulder things that go up and flashidenators.

Dalai Lama

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Old 03-30-2014, 7:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's part of the vilification/indoctrination process. The antis are constantly pounding anti gun sentiments into all segments of society. Part of that indoctrination process is to make gun owners feel like they need to hide something.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
03 FFL/COE
DOJ Firearms Instructor
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
First Firearm Purchased was in 1973 - Winchester 320 Bolt Action .22 rifle.
Old 03-30-2014, 7:10 PM

I am amazed at responses I have received any thing from are you nuts to prayers at church for a great match (true story: went to Bakersfield and stayed with cousins night before the 3gun winter classic. Invited to attend services with their family. During service they asked if anyone needed needed a special prayer. My cousin stood up up and said please pray for my cousin (me) during her 3gun shoot. This for me this was a very weird feeling having the whole church say a prayer. It was a mixed reaction in the congregation but yep prayers were said. )
Old 03-30-2014, 8:56 PM

I haven't received any grief about owning a gun, but if I did I would put them in check.

Thankful to be born and raised around guns, and honored to have worn the uniform
Old 03-30-2014, 9:08 PM

My parents and cousins are extremely anti-gun. Very liberal, very anti-gun, I get the question "why do you need a gun" from them quite a bit.

Most everybody else I know, I grew up in LA where guns are not cool, people are afraid of them, people are anti-gun without thinking about it or knowing why.

Basically I just don't say anything about guns, and I go to the range with my guns in a guitar gig bag so my neighbors don't freak out. (Oh my god, a gun!) And when I get to the range I get to do this
Old 03-31-2014, 2:57 AM

Ive been around guns all my life, and still enjoy target shooting. Im 67 years old, and don't give a dam about what anyone says. Been shooting since 1954, love it. NRA Life/Endowment. Move on.
Old 03-31-2014, 4:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

You need to dump your current "friends," and get better ones.
Old 03-31-2014, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybacon43 View Post
My parents and cousins are extremely anti-gun. Very liberal, very anti-gun, I get the question "why do you need a gun" from them quite a bit.

Most everybody else I know, I grew up in LA where guns are not cool, people are afraid of them, people are anti-gun without thinking about it or knowing why.

Basically I just don't say anything about guns, and I go to the range with my guns in a guitar gig bag so my neighbors don't freak out. (Oh my god, a gun!) And when I get to the range I get to do this

I just ask, 'Why do you need a giant TV, why do you need three iPADs, why do you need a big house, why do you need a Rolex.....yaddah yaddah......."

Then I say, "Because I want one and I am an American exercising my 2nd-A rights!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosin carol View Post
Ive been around guns all my life, and still enjoy target shooting. Im 67 years old, and don't give a dam about what anyone says. Been shooting since 1954, love it. NRA Life/Endowment. Move on.
I am 60 and been shooting all my life. Owned a .22 rifle at somewhere around 8 and my first semi-auto .22 pistol at 16.

I play this all the time so I can be reasonable when I talk to people:

Dalai Lama

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 03-31-2014 at 9:51 AM..
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

All the time. I just make it clear I think they are weird for not having guns and being at the mercy of those who may impose their will by force upon them. Too each his own, man and sheep.

If you buy a gun from me and fail to pass background, I will keep at least 50% of the sale price to compensate me for the time you've wasted of mine (sale and failed sale pickup), so if you're in doubt, don't buy my guns.
Old 03-31-2014, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybacon43 View Post
I really hate this question. For the antis, it is a rhetorical question. Most of the time they expect the the reason the person being asked owns a gun is because they have an irrational fear of BG hiding around the corner ready to attack at any second or it is just a dangerous and expensive toy that has no real use.

There was a time in my young life when I needed to use a gun to save my life and the lives of my siblings. It did involve discharging the firearm. Death was seconds away and the police were at least 5 minutes away.

If I respond with my story, I am not believed, it is discounted as something that is abnormal and would rarely happen, it is just a play on emotions, or it would never had happened if we had a perfect world without guns. Of course, they neglect the fact that the BG was a fully grown adult male and I was a 12 year old child and so I was still at a great disadvantage. The gun was the equalizer. I had been taught how to shoot at age 8.

BTW, I still have that .30-30 lever action and I will never part with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosin carol View Post
My wake up call came when I had a stroke at age 48. It took 3 years to fully recover and this will be the first full year I have been able to teach since the stroke. I have finally reached the point where I do not give a darn about what anyone thinks or says.

Since I took on that attitude I have come to learn that 6 other teachers at my school are gunnies. The teacher next door to me wants me to take her shooting. She grew up in Riverside and has never touched a gun. She is a physics teacher and is a bit fearful of guns but wants to go shooting because many physics examples in the textbook involve a gun shooting a bullet. When she learned I have guns and I shoot she asked me to take her because she feels safe around me.

I figure that if my normal self can make someone who is fearful of guns feel safe enough to ask to go to the range to shoot, then I must be okay.

So, if asked why do I need guns, my answer is I will not answer that unless you are willing to close your mouth for 10 minutes and not say a word nor interrupt me and have an open mind so you will really listen to me. Otherwise you are wasting both of our time.
Old 03-31-2014, 9:28 PM

I really loved reading all of your guys' replies, thank you! I only posted it in the ladies' forum is because I feel like women run into this issue more often than men do.
I'm not surrounded by many liberals, but more by people who are uneducated and more than likely fearful of guns, therefore they see me liking them as abnormal and even concerning....

Quote:

Yeah I think it definitely is. As a 21 year old blonde girl, I don't fit people's typical mold of a gun owner. I think my parents just wonder why guns, out of everything I could choose... But I can ask them the same thing with regards to their boring hobbies.

I personally think if people have a problem with guns, they need to be taken out to go shoot one. I'm sure I would have a different perspective if I'd never gone out to shoot my first .22 rifle
Old 04-01-2014, 7:16 PM

Marry Me!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

My friends like to make jokes about me being a 'gun nut'. I take it as a compliment since I'm a proud gun owner.

My mom wasn't too keen on the idea when I was younger (I got my CCW when I was 21 in TN). However when I moved out of state for grad school she was super happy that I had a gun. I guess she feels that outside of her city of comfort, her daughter having a gun is a good thing.

I've had my NRA sticker on my truck for months now and still haven't had any weird looks or comments (that I've noticed anyway). All here in the Bay Area.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 04-11-2014, 2:09 PM
Banned

I get it all the time too. More so when I came out as a lesbian. It seems those macho men out there just can't stand to be upstaged by a tall, beautiful and successful women who is not into men! Hehe
Old 04-11-2014, 2:15 PM

Quote:
I went into Walmart to ask where their ammo was and the guy looked like I had just confessed to murder or something. Guess I don't look like a gun gal
This happens to me every time I buy ammo! I know this area is traditionally dominated by males, but there are more female shooters than people realize.
Old 04-11-2014, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunGoddess View Post
I get it all the time too. More so when I came out as a lesbian. It seems those macho men out there just can't stand to be upstaged by a tall, beautiful and successful women who is not into men! Hehe
Men have their place....in the home fixing things like toilet leaks........

While I am out at the range

Or in my wood shop.......

Seriously the macho thing goes away after a bit. I just go do my thing and make nice groupings at 100 yards on the rifle range or 25 yards at the pistol. Kind of quiets them down when I make no bones either way. Just Git'er done.

I have always worked in the male side of working because the money is better. You win respect by doing the job. If I need help for lifting something heavier than I am nothing is said just respect for doing the work.

Dalai Lama

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 04-11-2014 at 6:28 PM..
Old 04-11-2014, 6:36 PM

I had a guy at work that always called me a gun nut. Always made jokes about me shooting someone if I got mad. I explained to him that I would NEVER draw my gun unless I felt my life was in danger, and I am actually much more of a "wuss" when carrying. I avoid confrontation more than I ever used to. I just took him shooting last week, and now he's looking at buying a hangin for home defense!
Looks like he's going to be a "gun nut" too.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:59 AM

After I got done learning to fly light airplanes, learning SCUBA, learning to ride a motorcycle, bought a motorcycle and took a trip to Manhattan alone, no one was all that surprised that I took up shooting. And no, I have no intention of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane....
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 04-12-2014, 1:48 AM

I think the cool factor in firearms is the actual physics involved. There are so many different things that need to be considered at ranges beyond 600m. The what why and how when it comes to placing a .308 in the ten ring at that distance and beyond when you really consider the fact that you are an ant on a rock travelling at 900 plus MPH (rotating planet) and having the capacity to place that shot, given all of the factors like wind, temp, weapon temp etc. Is really the coolest part. When you consider the factors required to hit, it is really a trip.
Old 04-12-2014, 2:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Many people I know, don't know I own guns. I like it that way. Close friends and family know.
Old 04-12-2014, 2:07 AM

Haters gonna hate. The only person in my life who is weird about guns is my mom. But I think it's just mom stuff rather than hoplophobia.
Old 04-12-2014, 7:15 AM

I never got any crap, not even when I was young and presumably cute and running the 22 club in college, walking across campus with my cased rifle in my backpack. I doubt you could do that anymore.

My husband introduced me to trapshooting when we met about 6 years ago. I finally beat him for the first time this last weekend (111 out of 125) and he was so proud, he brought me up in front of the league award ceremony. Everyone had already known though; some of them told him before he was off the line.

I guess it's about the company you keep.
Old 04-12-2014, 7:25 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm at the point in my life where I just don't waste my time with people who insist on being opinionated & ignorant. I remain as civil as I can & just move on. So far, I've taught a few gals basic pistol because they approached me. In the beginning, they told me that they were totally terrified & had all sorts of preconceived notions that guns were bad. But after a few rounds of .22, it was all good.

The last lady I helped at the range went from the .22, to a .38 special, to the .45. This was just to show her the difference in recoil. She and her husband had a good time & that's the most important thing, I think, in being a gun owner -- have fun safely

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, CRPA Board Member