Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM

They may issue a worked related ccw but from what I hear they are only good for 90 days . Its a lot to go through for a permit that is only good for 3 months .
Old 11-15-2012, 5:39 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, and I doubt that they issue very many of those anyway.
Old 11-15-2012, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Default LTC Change of Address what do I do???

So I will be moving soon, I know I have 10 days to let the Sac sheriff know.

Has anyone gone through this? I hear they want prof of residency, how do you do this in 10 days? Any input is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_wizzard View Post
So I will be moving soon, I know I have 10 days to let the Sac sheriff know.

Has anyone gone through this? I hear they want prof of residency, how do you do this in 10 days? Any input is welcome.
You have 10 days after you move to modify. All you do is schedule a modification appointment which you can normally get for the next week and go in and tell them your changing your address. You will have to have your address updated with the DMV before they will issue you a new LTC. They will also ask you for your old LTC, so you will be without one while your new one is shipped to you in the mail.
Old 11-20-2012, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Head's up:

When you receive your LTC, review it closely for errors. I just noticed recently that my LTC issued 22 months earlier had the serial number and model number on one weapon switched and the serial number had one character in error ("I" was typed as "1"). Today while in for my renewal another individual was in to get a correction as his name was misspelled. When we left the building at the same time he said this was the second time he came back for a correction (he was polite and didn't tell the deputy that but the deputy was apologetic anyways). Maybe since we were both in with errors at the same time they will take time to proof things more closely but it's not surprising with the large volume increase they've seen.

FYI - the deputy told me they now had 3,500 licenses issued and had another 1,000 applicants with appointments, etc. I got the impression that the department is taking pride in the progress.
Old 11-23-2012, 7:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Renewal speed is pretty good. I had my appointment on Tuesday and today, Friday, my new license arrived by registered mail. No errors. The license is slightly older than my old one. I think they trimmed the old one a little bit before laminating it but now kept the extra room so they could include the requirement about informing LEO about concealing if contact is made. I can still get it to fit in my Coach wallet after trimming away some of the excess lamination.

During the renewal appointment I asked the deputy if they had considered a credit card type license and he said that they are not allowed to do so. I said I had heard that Riverside had used them and he said that the individual must still carry the paper one and that only San Diego was permitted to issue plastic licenses under a pilot program under the prior Attorney General. I mentioned this to a well-informed member of this forum and he looked up and found nothing in the PC that states what type of media is used for the license. I don't know if the DOJ bullies around counties somewhat with informal rules or what the case may be but it seems that the county would like something easier than the current form/process.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Just moved to sac. I see the last time they opened up new appointments was October 15,2012. Has anyone been paying attention to how often they open up new appointments? Every couple months? Longer?
Old 11-27-2012, 3:57 PM

Just a quick update. Emailed Sac Sheriff CCW today to inquire about the November 3rd interview responses (I was just checking because my letter will actually be an email and sometimes emails get sent to SPAM and I never see them.) and they responded promptly stating the responses (emails and letters) have not gone out. I am sure the holiday had some affect.

mk

A Co. 82nd Signal Bn. 87-89
Old 11-28-2012, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
Renewal speed is pretty good. I had my appointment on Tuesday and today, Friday, my new license arrived by registered mail. No errors. The license is slightly older than my old one. I think they trimmed the old one a little bit before laminating it but now kept the extra room so they could include the requirement about informing LEO about concealing if contact is made. I can still get it to fit in my Coach wallet after trimming away some of the excess lamination.

During the renewal appointment I asked the deputy if they had considered a credit card type license and he said that they are not allowed to do so. I said I had heard that Riverside had used them and he said that the individual must still carry the paper one and that only San Diego was permitted to issue plastic licenses under a pilot program under the prior Attorney General. I mentioned this to a well-informed member of this forum and he looked up and found nothing in the PC that states what type of media is used for the license. I don't know if the DOJ bullies around counties somewhat with informal rules or what the case may be but it seems that the county would like something easier than the current form/process.
Sac county is misinformed. I recently got mine from Riverside County and it is of credit card type and size, though no mag stripe. No paper type issued. Period!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Just completed my CCW initial application and interview. Overall very relaxed and cordial interaction. First with reserve officer looking over paperwork, letter, proof of residency and money order.
Second was the interview with Det. Tom Koontz. Good interaction and spent the time quizzing me on my record and ensuring my recollections and the record aligned. I was in and out in 30 minutes top. We will see.
Old 11-29-2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkennedy009 View Post
Just a quick update. Emailed Sac Sheriff CCW today to inquire about the November 3rd interview responses (I was just checking because my letter will actually be an email and sometimes emails get sent to SPAM and I never see them.) and they responded promptly stating the responses (emails and letters) have not gone out. I am sure the holiday had some affect.

mk
I was there on the Nov 3 ... They sent me a letter post marked Nov 21 no email though ....
Old 11-29-2012, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.Dozer23 View Post
Just moved to sac. I see the last time they opened up new appointments was October 15,2012. Has anyone been paying attention to how often they open up new appointments? Every couple months? Longer?
They have 700 plus waiting for appointments .....
Old 11-29-2012, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Had you opted for mail notification rather than email? If not, the only other thing I can think of is the possibility your app was squeezed into an earlier panel.
Old 12-01-2012, 1:15 AM

just went through my initial this past wednesday. i searched and got that date about a month ago when they released a bunch of new dates. i didn't think i was going to get one as i never got the e-mail that they released the dates, but got an e-mail stating that all the new dates were now booked.

got home after work that night to check, just for S's and G's and scored one about a month later, this past Wednesday.

as you all know, this past Wednesday's weather was HORRID! first day of the new weather cell rolling through NorCal and that had EVERYONE driving horribly and extremely nervously. I-5 is normally rolling decently smoothly, however, it was almost locked all the way to Pocket/Florin. coming from the 99 side of Elk Grove, it took me damn near 30 minutes to even get to the 5!

i left at 730, maybe a little earlier, appt was at 815, and i didn't get to the Sheriff's dept until about 850. VERY disappointed, to say the least. checked in with the front counter, they said they would check to see if they could squeeze me in, and LUCKILY they were! i apologized profusely to everyone i came in contact with, and thanked them all for squeezing me in. at the same time, i guess i missed the big accident at the J street exit by about 15 minutes or so. the jack-knifed 18-wheeler that completely shut the 5 down for a while.

like most have said, the initial interview is pretty smooth. reserve Sheriff gets all the paperwork in order, asks those questions on the application, witnesses all the signatures, etc. go to the waiting room, wait for about 5 minutes, a detective comes and gets you, and you go through a similar interview, asks similar questions, and slightly more in depth. i have a clean record (luckily), so my process went through quite smoothly.

i asked the detective if they had a list of approved CCW training courses, but he said as long as it's at least 16hrs long and is approved for CA, it'll work. however, i've noticed that some instructors won't allow you to take the course if they're not approved for your county (i.e. yankeeshooter.com not approved for Sac County). does anyone know who's right here? i asked the detective and he said that as long as it's CA approved and 16hrs, it'll work.

anyway, as far as proofs of residency, CC statement, bank statements, and cell phone bills work. protect yourself and your family is still a good cause for applying. if you forget to bring your statement/letter of cause to apply for a CCW, the guys at the front desk just hand you a piece of paper, pen, and tell you to write something. they say if you don't finish before they call you in, just finish it with the sheriff. they were pretty much coaching one guy that didn't know he had to have it on what to write without actually telling him what to write, as i'm sure they cannot legally do that.
Old 12-01-2012, 3:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Check out Wes at LFI. You will not be disappointed. He is highly regarded and you will do the course and qualify at Sac valley shooting center. He is on calguns as well "ccw trainer"
Old 12-01-2012, 3:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Sorry on my phone, "ccwtrainer" no space between.
Old 12-01-2012, 3:38 AM

So my Kitchn table dealer told me that one if his "contacts" said the reason CCW appointments are so hard to get is because anti gunners are reserving lots of time slots, but never showing up for meetings. anyone heard this?
Old 12-01-2012, 7:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

esy, Yankeeshooter won't do Sacramento because he only does 8 hours of training. I had used him before and talked to the deputy when I went in for renewal and he told me quite a bit about this issue as he had signed training forms before saying that he had provided 16 hours of training when it was really only 8. The deputy told me that they met (or communicated) with him several times trying to get him to agree to provide the training they required but he refused. He's not black-listed, just not willing to provide the required training. I used Wes for my renewal training last month and it was a good class. Sacramento Valley Shooting Center also does some classes and I would imagine they are pretty good.
Old 12-01-2012, 8:37 AM

I'm still waiting for my approval from my appt on 11/03/12.
Old 12-02-2012, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldraque View Post
So my Kitchn table dealer told me that one if his "contacts" said the reason CCW appointments are so hard to get is because anti gunners are reserving lots of time slots, but never showing up for meetings. anyone heard this?
The new appointment system requires more authentication than the old one. I haven't heard of any issues with the new system.
Old 12-03-2012, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane916 View Post
Check out Wes at LFI. You will not be disappointed. He is highly regarded and you will do the course and qualify at Sac valley shooting center. He is on calguns as well "ccw trainer"
Yeah, i've heard quite a bit about LFI. My brother wants me to go with him to take some of the advanced courses, but i'd rather spend my money on all the CCW stuff right now first. Still debating if i want to spend the extra change now for some of the more xpensive classes, and they usually offer some kind of free re-quals or what not, or spend less with CSTA and pat for future re-quals. Decisions. Financially though, the more expensive one now, makes the most sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
esy, Yankeeshooter won't do Sacramento because he only does 8 hours of training. I had used him before and talked to the deputy when I went in for renewal and he told me quite a bit about this issue as he had signed training forms before saying that he had provided 16 hours of training when it was really only 8. The deputy told me that they met (or communicated) with him several times trying to get him to agree to provide the training they required but he refused. He's not black-listed, just not willing to provide the required training. I used Wes for my renewal training last month and it was a good class. Sacramento Valley Shooting Center also does some classes and I would imagine they are pretty good.
Makes sense. Thanks for that.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM

Default 3-NOV Interview

Quote:

mk
If you have not received your email and your interview date was 3-NOV please send a polite email to Amber [ccw@sacsheriff.com] requesting she verify an email was sent to you. Several of us from 3-NOV had our email delivered to Santa and we know how Santa only delivers Red Rider BB guns. My response is now being sent via Snail Mail and I hope to get it by Friday/Monday.

MichaelK

A Co. 82nd Signal Bn. 87-89
Old 12-12-2012, 7:01 PM

Just email amber and hopefully she gives me update. Thank for the information mkennedy009.
Old 12-12-2012, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

It's already been two years for me. Time to renew!
Old 12-16-2012, 9:50 AM

Quick question guys - I'm an FFL in Sunnyvale and my DOJ audit was a couple weeks ago. The inspector told me I should get a CCW (which was a surprise) and when I told her that's next to impossible in Santa Clara County she told me to go to Sacramento because they've relaxed the residency requirement.

From reading all the Sac Sheriff's rules and regulations regarding CCW applications I don't get this impression at all. Can anybody clarify this for me? I did search the threads for similar questions and came up empty....
Old 12-16-2012, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

If you reside in Sac county and have a clean record then you shouldn't have a problem obtaining a permit.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
If you have not received your email and your interview date was 3-NOV please send a polite email to Amber [ccw@sacsheriff.com] requesting she verify an email was sent to you. Several of us from 3-NOV had our email delivered to Santa and we know how Santa only delivers Red Rider BB guns. My response is now being sent via Snail Mail and I hope to get it by Friday/Monday.

MichaelK

Did you get your letter yet?
Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:

MichaelK
Did you get your response yet it the mail?
Old 12-16-2012, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Instincts View Post
Quick question guys - I'm an FFL in Sunnyvale and my DOJ audit was a couple weeks ago. The inspector told me I should get a CCW (which was a surprise) and when I told her that's next to impossible in Santa Clara County she told me to go to Sacramento because they've relaxed the residency requirement.

From reading all the Sac Sheriff's rules and regulations regarding CCW applications I don't get this impression at all. Can anybody clarify this for me? I did search the threads for similar questions and came up empty....

Nothing could be farther from the truth . You are required to provide proof that you are a county resident. Lying on a ccw application is a Felony .
Old 12-17-2012, 8:10 AM

Does anyone know the best/fastest place to take your livescan? I don't mean fast as in processing, but fast as in I need to squeeze in the appointment during my lunch.
Old 12-17-2012, 8:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by awholelota View Post
Does anyone know the best/fastest place to take your livescan? I don't mean fast as in processing, but fast as in I need to squeeze in the appointment during my lunch.
I heard the Cordova one is usually less crowded. Now that I have said that watch it be super packed lol.
Old 12-17-2012, 8:56 AM

If you're in the South area I'd go to the Sheriff's office on 65th across the street from Sears. Mine only took about 15-20 minutes start to finish.
M
Old 12-17-2012, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldguy View Post
If you're in the South area I'd go to the Sheriff's office on 65th across the street from Sears. Mine only took about 15-20 minutes start to finish.
M
Just fyi
I went to that sheriff office, off florin road across from sears, during lunch hour (12p) and the counter clerk told me to wait as the live scan tech/officer was out on lunch :\

Although I was the only one there (monday afternoon) and when the live scan tech/officer returned at 1 pm, I was done in 15 min.

Sent from TapaAtrix
Old 12-17-2012, 4:56 PM

Anyone got approval yet from the nov 03 appt?
Old 12-17-2012, 5:13 PM

Had an appointment this past Tuesday for a ccw modification and didn't bring a second proof of residence? Emailed amber that night a picture of my second proof of residence. It is now Monday and my ccw still hasn't arrived, any one else take this long to get there ccw in the mail? My first one showed up 2 days after my appointment
Old 12-17-2012, 5:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Instincts View Post

They have actually made it more strict. You now have to have two documents proving residency. And I believe your DL cannot be either of them. I can't believe the DOJ doesn't know the rules surrounding CCW permits in this state.

http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...heriff/ccw.cfm

Last edited by epilepticninja; 12-17-2012 at 5:54 PM..
Old 12-17-2012, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
They have actually made it more strict. You now have to have two documents proving residency. And I believe your DL cannot be either of them. I can't believe the DOJ doesn't know the rules surrounding CCW permits in this state.

http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...heriff/ccw.cfm
Thank you - I should be surprised, but I'm not. :-)
Old 12-18-2012, 3:12 PM

Just got my letter today from Nov 03 appt.
Old 12-19-2012, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoy94 View Post
Thanks for the Update ...Guess things are moving along !
Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoy94 View Post
Thank you for the update! Guess I should be receiving mine pretty soon here.

Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee