Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-17-2018, 9:28 PM

Default Drone

Any advice' of step to follow of what to do with an annoying drone flying over my property

I don't have any privacy anymore.
Old 09-17-2018, 9:34 PM
Calguns Addict

7994CEE9-B5ED-4A40-A09B-FA543C9DE340.jpg

Old 09-17-2018, 9:39 PM

Good info here from a fellow calgunner:
http://michellawyers.com/california-...ne-intrusions/
Old 09-17-2018, 9:42 PM

Sling shot.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i would get a small drone of my own and set it on a collision course...maybe hook up some kind of net to hang below it...it wouldn't be above me for long

Old 09-18-2018, 4:48 AM
Calguns Addict

If BB guns are legal to shoot in your neighborhood, the Umarex Steel storm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyFgooVMeV4

If not, see where she lands, or Full-auto Airsoft? Borrow/buy a paintball gun?

If they have an issue, I'll bet it isn't registered with the FAA anyways.

Last edited by the86d; 09-18-2018 at 4:52 AM..
Old 09-19-2018, 10:11 AM

Old 09-19-2018, 9:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Many relators are now using drones to take photos for their listings.
Had one buzz a neighbor walking her dog on the sidewalk, then she saw the operator up the street and noticed that most of the flight path was around or over a house for sale. They also used one on our Tahoe property but it sold in 4 days so they never got a chance to post it!
Old 09-23-2018, 2:47 PM

I fly, both as a hobbiest and for work.

It is illegal (felony) to shoot at any aircraft, manned or unmanned. It doesn't matter if they are over your property or not.

That being said,he's giving the responsible pilots a bad name so....

...if he's flying with a camera he could be recording (evidence) so hypothetically speaking if you did find a way to down it, it would be best to do it while the camera was pointed away from you. Depending on what he's flying he could also be recording from his goggles or base station, but most likely it's only recording to a micro SD card onboard the aircraft. So (hypothetically) if it dropped from the sky and you conveniently got to it first that SD card should magically disappear.

If anyone asks, you know the drill: you don't have any guns, tragic boating accident....
Old 09-24-2018, 4:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Net gun?
Old 10-02-2018, 7:24 PM

New business idea - hawks trained to take down drones as someone already suggested. must of thought it was a pigeon.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:13 AM

How about some water action? Garden hose it till it goes down.... or up the psi with a pump?
Old 10-03-2018, 11:19 AM

A large lightweight net with helium filled balloons at each corner. Rig it to release all four corners at once.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 10-03-2018, 11:31 AM
I have 1 Gunz
CGN Contributor

Default Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas;
Any advice' of step to follow of what to do with an annoying drone flying over my property

I don't have any privacy anymore.

Check your local codes (city and county) for restrictions. There are also public nuisance provisions, some are citable offenses.

A quick highlights reference of small (
Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
A large lightweight net with helium filled balloons at each corner. Rig it to release all four corners at once.
I actually kind of laughed at this idea thinking it was quite funny but could possibly work
Old 10-06-2018, 6:14 PM

No way to locate the pilot?

I don't trip on drones too much. Privacy in public happens in deep canyons in rugged Utah territory at night under a rock outcropping while wearing IR-defeating clothing. I usually wave hello or extend a middle finger depending on mood when I see a quad looking at me.

My neighbors kid used to hide in their SUV in the driveway and snoop our place with a cheapie. One day he knocked on the door and asked if we could look for it in the tree in our yard. Haha. I let it winter in the tree and gave it to him early April the next year.

OP--there are laws governing your expectations of privacy on your own property, and there are laws regarding a person flying a drone.

So you choose to either contact the appropriate authorities or deal with it yourself. If you deal with it yourself be careful, you don't want a further invasion of your privacy by the authorities.

If you're a pilot I would just try to wreck it with a cheapie. If you're not find the pilot.

I love the idea of privacy myself, just don't expect much of it.
Old 10-06-2018, 6:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

what works is take some stainless lock wire and crimp 22 sized split shot every 6 inches and coil into wad of a shotgun shell. When fired it is like chain shot and will cut a drone in two. This was an old poachers trick for goose hunting.
Also a nasty self defense load will inflict terrible wounds. I know people in vietnam that made and used them.
Old 10-06-2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
what works is take some stainless lock wire and crimp 22 sized split shot every 6 inches and coil into wad of a shotgun shell. When fired it is like chain shot and will cut a drone in two. This was an old poachers trick for goose hunting.
Also a nasty self defense load will inflict terrible wounds. I know people in vietnam that made and used them.
Toyman 321 told you once "It is illegal (felony) to shoot at any aircraft, manned or unmanned. It doesn't matter if they are over your property or not.
"

Keep that in mind while you are losing your 2A rights. On top of shooting at ,
to explain the law , is illegal , using the "chain-shot" is another broken law ( federal go ahead look it up yourself ).

So go ahead shoot at one , even if you miss that's 2 strikes .

Hasn't anyone just asked , nicely , why they are flying where they are ? Might , just might , keep you out of jail and at the range.( yeah I know , they are all being shut down or being rebuilt for safety for years )

Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones , cause I got a sling shot

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.
Old 10-06-2018, 9:31 PM
Veteran Member

I had a quadcopter visitor last summer while watching a movie on my patio outdoor theater. Can't remember the time, but it was dark. Not sure what it was, but it wasn't a Phantom. Didn't sound right and it had blue lights. It was hovering right above my treetops, less than 50 feet from the ground. If I had my SYMA X-5 or even a small Hubsan, I could have taken it out.

I heard it before I could see it. I did have time to prep my own quadcopter, but I didn't. I've got a 10 X 7 foot rear-projection screen, so I'm sure that's what attracted it. I fly my Phantom and other smaller quads in my backyard all the time. Neighbors on both sides have helped me to retrieve wayward quads. No residential neighbor in the back. It's a burger joint.

If that quad came back, I don't think I would have taken it out, but I would have zipped up there to give it something to look at.

1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3. -573PH3N H4WK1NG
Old 10-06-2018, 9:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I wonder how well .22lr "Snakeshot" would work on one at fairly close range.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:09 AM

Bb gun. If it's an air craft wont the user need a pilot license to fly it.
If you want to be a dick about it. Fallow it find the user and talk with him about what kind of drone it is how much are they? Then call the manufacturer buy a controller. Keep changing frequency untill you can control his drone.
One or 2 missing drones they will stay away.
Or you could just ask nicely to not fly over your home.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:15 AM

https://youtu.be/qmHaeMwnRjY
Old 10-07-2018, 12:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hey dunsel am not shooting at drones . Why don't you worry about it for me so I don't have to. Better to screw with the operators of the drones. The drone did not do anything wrong it is always the operator.

Last edited by edgerly779; 10-07-2018 at 12:29 PM..
Old 10-07-2018, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Hey dunsel am not shooting at drones . Why don't you worry about it for me so I don't have to. Better to screw with the operators of the drones. The drone did not do anything wrong it is always the operator.
But , you did advocate breaking the law , twice . Once by telling people to shoot them , then by instructing them how to make an "unusual" weapon ( illegal federally)

I thought that here on CalGuns advocating illegal activity was frowned upon ? But you might be a special class of poster that can get away with telling people to break the law , and complain when someone points it out to you , in a nice way .

By the way I am a drone builder / operator / pilot , and yes licensed by the FAA to fly them .

Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones , cause I got a sling shot

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.
Old 10-07-2018, 1:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did not advocate only provided info on how it could be done. Believe what you wish. I did not say shoot the drone down. Annoy someone else. Figures you would take that attitude since you might be a part of the problem with drone incursions.
Old 10-08-2018, 6:16 AM

there has got to be a way to interfere with it electronically ??
Old 10-08-2018, 10:39 AM

By the FAA's legal definition of drones, providing equal protection to manned and unmanned operations, shooting at a drone is a federal offense equal to shooting at a private plane or an airliner. FELONY. Lifetime firearms ban.

Anyone on this forum who is stupid enough to even joke about using a gun to thwart a drone deserves a ban. Hopefully admins will take note before stupidity becomes the norm.

There are a number of anti-drone tools including frequency jammers. Some would require licensing or permits. Use of any tool that forces the drone to cease flight operations and crash may also leave the person who caused the crash liable for physical damages to the drone as well as lost income if the drone was being used lawfully in a commercial application.

Sometimes it's just easier to not take it so personally, simply walk away when something annoys you.
Old 11-25-2018, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Very nce!!!
https://youtu.be/5CzURm7OpAA
Old 11-25-2018, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Dunsel View Post
Toyman 321 told you once "It is illegal (felony) to shoot at any aircraft, manned or unmanned. It doesn't matter if they are over your property or not.
"

Keep that in mind while you are losing your 2A rights. On top of shooting at ,
to explain the law , is illegal , using the "chain-shot" is another broken law ( federal go ahead look it up yourself ).

So go ahead shoot at one , even if you miss that's 2 strikes .

Hasn't anyone just asked , nicely , why they are flying where they are ? Might , just might , keep you out of jail and at the range.( yeah I know , they are all being shut down or being rebuilt for safety for years )
Hmm, that's funny. Sheriff told me I can shoot it, if it flies over my property.
Old 11-25-2018, 8:10 PM

I think it's legal to take it down. I would take my SG and get it done. The question is what to do if it flies very high... pullet should stay on your property. But the real question is, why is someone flying over your property! You may chase the drone and track the operator down.
Old 11-25-2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Its amazing how wide open that parrot is, there was literally one hovering nearby last week. If I only knew I would have totally telnetted in and ran that shutdown script
Old 11-26-2018, 1:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLongRange View Post
I think it's legal to take it down. I would take my SG and get it done. The question is what to do if it flies very high... pullet should stay on your property. But the real question is, why is someone flying over your property! You may chase the drone and track the operator down.
Suicide Girls could take me down too...
Especially Discordia:
https://www.facebook.com/DiscordiaSu...type=3&theater
Old 12-06-2018, 3:36 PM

Tell me would you be as upset if it was a remote-controlled fixed wing aircraft? I think not, mention the word drone and everybody loses their f@#%ing minds. 90% of drones you see flying around do not have cameras capable of zooming in on you or even seeing you standing in your backyard. They would have to literally hover 10 feet from you to be able to read the stupid saying on your T-shirt.

Last edited by RJ Dunn; 12-06-2018 at 3:38 PM.. Reason: none
Old 12-06-2018, 4:07 PM

I've had a Drone for about a year now and going to be taking the FAA 107 test soon (remote pilot license) I have had people come up to me and ask if I was filming their private property. As soon as they see what it looks like they calm down. As said most people have this assumption that I can be 400 feet up and 1000x zoom.

As said shooting a drone out of the air has more repercussions that shooting your neighbors loud motorcycle while hes warming it up. Find the owner and ask him/her to be more respectful.