Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellar View Post
Take us to $70,000 and we'll do two major premiere screenings of the film in N. and S. CA for Cal Gunners.

Full gala events (formal camo wear will be allowed) to show your friends and families the film that YOU made happen.

Rally to the end!
Now I have to find someone that makes multi-cam bow ties.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready_eSeVe View Post
Uhh...
From the kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/assaulted/assaulted

Distribution:
Southern Oregon Public Television (SOPTV) is our PTV/PBS presenting station. SOPTV will package Assaulted for distribution over PTV and PBS networks.
Yes, I had read that previously. But the first time I read it my thoughts were - uh yeah, good luck with that.

Just because Southern Oregon PBS picked it up doesn't mean it will do well in distribution with the other PBS affiliates. What are the odds that PBS in Chicago, DC, Boston, San Francisco, or any other liberal bastion will pick it up? And that's were it needs to be seen the most. We don't need to be preaching to the choir. We need to be reaching those outside of our sphere of influence.

Of course I hope I'm totally wrong. I tend to be a pessimist when it comes to gun stuff. We've been beaten down for so long and have lost so many critical battles that I've become jaded.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I've become jaded.
Well stop!

Quote:
Just because Southern Oregon PBS picked it up doesn't mean it will do well in distribution with the other PBS affiliates. What are the odds that PBS in Chicago, DC, Boston, San Francisco, or any other liberal bastion will pick it up? And that's were it needs to be seen the most. We don't need to be preaching to the choir. We need to be reaching those outside of our sphere of influence.
I understand what you're saying. Which is why I'm suggesting to all here that this film will continue to need our support by "getting it out there" so to speak, make it "viral" if you will.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Now I have to find someone that makes multi-cam bow ties.
Don't see multi-cam; did find digital desert - http://www.bowtie-expressions.com/mi...amouflage.html.

Lots of the old Euro-forest camo.

How can you look your best if you're hard to see?

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready_eSeVe View Post
@ Tankarian
I personally can't fault you for your frustration, I was having the same sentiments very early on (I vented a little several pages back). That being said, what's your plan for bringing that percentage of members and gunnies into the fold? Berating and ridiculing them for their past lack of initiative? In focused doses that sometimes works but overall it's a failing strategy.
For starters I would propose a modest 3% - 5% fee charged from all firearms sales facilitated in the For Sale section.
It would require changing the format of that forum to something similar to Gunbroker or GunsAmerica. Not sure how exactly this can be done but I believe we have many computer wizards who can.
The fact is there are lots of bargain hunters who signed up with Calguns for one reason only: to buy and sell guns. They bring nothing to this community and their post count is strictly limited to "I'll take it" or "what's the lowest price you're selling it for". Go in the FS forum and check it out for yourself. They only take advantage of Calguns free marketplace and don't contribute with anything in return.
The proceedings would bring a nice source of cash for the CG Foundation on top of the revenue earned from Amazon.com. I believe this would be an idea worth of taking into consideration.

Quote:
I propose we take this moment to celebrate the fact that those that did contribute actually got this done.
I am celebrating. MGD Light, only 2.4 grams of carbs. Taste like piss but I am on a diet.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
How can you look your best if you're hard to see?
I tend to be a wallflower at events like these. Camo would be perfect.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I contributed heavily, and will try to continue to. Kris can back me up and confirm this

However, I would never begrudge anybody who chose not to contribute, for whatever reason.

To each his own; everybody has different priorities, and everybody has a different idea about how their time/money is best spent.

For me, Kris' trailer hit every single point that was important to me, and it had a direct, simple, broad message that I felt others should hear. I was sold instantly. There was never a question in my mind that his approach was the right one.

My only regret is that I can really only afford to give him money (as crazy as that sounds). I actually have limited time to do much else.

To me, those who spend volunteer time are doing the heavy lifting. Anybody can write a check.

Last edited by curtisfong; 10-05-2012 at 2:59 PM..
Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude
I'm not sure PBS would touch this with a 10 foot pole. It's contrary to their political and philosophical leanings. Remember, they're card carrying members of the advocacy media - despite their protestations to the contrary.
We should remember that there will be opposing viewpoints dutifully presented. Viewpoints that most of us deplore. This is not going to be a propaganda piece for our side as I understand it. It can't be. If we can't present the anti's views in a direct and honest way then we won't have the high ground to discredit those views with the facts.

I have been more aware lately that although we always have the facts squarely on our side, we lose the emotional argument almost every time. But there is also a huge amount of emotion behind the desire to protect one's self, one's family, and one's freedom.

Perhaps even more important than presenting facts is connecting to those emotions in a way that everyone can understand and with which they can truly empathize. In fact this is critical, IMO to the creating a shift in the hearts and minds of fence-sitters. We can expect that hard-core antis will vehemently reject any credible threat to their position, no matter how even-handed we think it is.

Not unlike the end game in the current presidential election, appealing to the middle, the undecided, and those not yet completely entrenched and attached to their view, is where the most fertile ground lies.

Just like the undecided voters in this election, all some people need is a little reassurance that we are just as connected to our humanity, just as full of compassion, and are as deeply committed to the good of mankind as they are.

Whatever else it may accomplish, if this film can effectively communicate that, it will have succeeded beyond my wildest expectations.

FYI, I don't speak for Kris Koenig, but I suspect he would agree with me on these points.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit
Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro Pistolero View Post
We should remember that there will be opposing viewpoints dutifully presented. Viewpoints that most of us deplore. This is not going to be a propaganda piece for our side as I understand it. It can't be. If we can't present the anti's views in a direct and honest way then we won't have the high ground to discredit those views with the facts.

I have been more aware lately that although we always have the facts squarely on our side, we lose the emotional argument almost every time. But there is also a huge amount of emotion behind the desire to protect one's self, one's family, and one's freedom.

Perhaps even more important than presenting facts is connecting to those emotions in a way that everyone can understand and with which they can truly empathize. In fact this is critical, IMO to the creating a shift in the hearts and minds of fence-sitters. We can expect that hard-core antis will vehemently reject any credible threat to their position, no matter how even-handed we think it is.

Not unlike the end game in the current presidential election, appealing to the middle, the undecided, and those not yet completely entrenched and attached to their view, is where the most fertile ground lies.

Just like the undecided voters in this election, all some people need is a little reassurance that we are just as connected to our humanity, just as full of compassion, and are as deeply committed to the good of mankind as they are.

Whatever else it may accomplish, if this film can effectively communicate that, it will have succeeded beyond my wildest expectations.

FYI, I don't speak for Kris Koenig, but I suspect he would agree with me on these points.
I know of a precedent where PBS approved for distribution then cancelled a documentary on political and ideological reasons.
I pray they will not do the same with "Assaulted".
Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, I had read that previously. But the first time I read it my thoughts were - uh yeah, good luck with that.

Of course I hope I'm totally wrong. I tend to be a pessimist when it comes to gun stuff. We've been beaten down for so long and have lost so many critical battles that I've become jaded.
Try reading the link in this thread, a good jumpstart or refresher for any gun rights person: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=627582

In a way, we need to preach to the choir that has one foot on the stage and one foot off. Doesn't do any good to try to reform a true anti-gun follower who won't even enter the building. However, there are lots of NRA members not registered to vote, and lots of gun owners that are not NRA members, so these are the ones that would be easier to pull into the choir to fight for gun rights.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable, what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:

I had similar thoughts as well. I didn't contribute, as I felt my money would be better spent elsewhere.

And that's not to denigrate anyone involved or who contributed to this project. I understand that others may be much more enthusiastic, and the reality is that this could gain traction and change many minds. However, I made my choice.

I'm a little dismayed that the idea of a tax on the marketplace has been brought up. The way I see it is that everyone is free to promote projects; if they are compelling enough, individuals will contribute. If the projects aren't compelling, then support will be less. Individuals can make individual choices.

A tax on the marketplace says "we don't trust people to make the correct decisions, so we'll take their money, and make the choices for them..."

-- Michael
Old 10-05-2012, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

I'm so glad the kickstarter met its goal. I contributed only a small amount, and I didn't think we were going to make it. Hurrah!
Old 10-05-2012, 8:49 PM
In Memoriam

This is so full of Win! Can't wait to see the final product!
It would be so nice to see a grand CG's get together/viewing in SoCal and NorCal.
Rent out a VWF or Moose lodge type of event.
-g
Old 10-05-2012, 8:59 PM

Thank you again for your support of our film. The team will do its best to delivery a film that you all can be proud of.
Old 10-05-2012, 9:04 PM

Guys, we all were able to get this project it's initial funding. And it was a nice chunk of change. It showed how a good community can pool its resources together and get something done.

The same thing happened with the "Stop SB249" grassroots movement. I am pretty sure there were alot of people selling and buying stuff in the seller's forum...posting in off topic...asking for advice, etc who didn't give thought to lifting a single finger to help stop SB249. There was a decent chunk (just as in this Kickstarter for Assaulted) of people who helped get things done.

If anything, I would be more pissed that people were sitting idle watching others do the footwork to keep their rights. Enough is enough. A grassroots movement usually gains momentum slowly and then builds steam to turn into a force to be reckoned with. Not everyone tags along.

What I am saying is, people have priorities that probably don't always match yours or mine. Take a victory and move along for the next one. Keep moving forward. You can't go forward if you are constantly looking back. Putting charges on people who "don't contribute" the way you want them to only makes people shy away from this website. It might make a potential new member, who could end up being a Gene Hoffman, for example say "oh forget this place" you know?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Stop SB 249 not only stopped SB 249 but will morph into the new California gun rights model. Stay tuned, we just got warmed up on 249.

Assaulted will serve a key educational role as we move our culture forward. Connecting with the public in this way will serve as a force multiplier. The people who made Assaulted possible can claim rights to doing something that NRA, CRPA, and GOC [sadly] can't.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.

Last edited by wildhawker; 10-05-2012 at 11:26 PM..
Old 10-06-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Stop SB 249 not only stopped SB 249 but will morph into the new California gun rights model. Stay tuned, we just got warmed up on 249.

Assaulted will serve a key educational role as we move our culture forward. Connecting with the public in this way will serve as a force multiplier. The people who made Assaulted possible can claim rights to doing something that NRA, CRPA, and GOC [sadly] can't.

-Brandon
Nice!! I can't wait!!
Old 10-16-2012, 2:21 PM

Hello everyone, We took a week off to recharge our batteries and now we’re getting into full production mode this week. Here is a run down of what’s going on:

• Tee shirts and hats are on order and will be shipped directly from the screen printer to those that have earned the reward. Look for these to arrive in three to four weeks.

• We’re developing some cool dollies and rigs to capture live-fire sequences. One of these is robotic slider that will allow us to film across a muzzle while the gun is being fired. How freaking awesome is that?!

• Anita is transcribing all of the interviews from Gun Rights Policy Conference.

• We will be on the road filming starting the last week in October, so look for our twitter and Facebook posts in the coming weeks.

Finally, I know that in the excitement of helping us reach our goal (Thank you again!), several of you made pledges that haven’t been met. Please we need everything pledged and more to make this film happen. If you made a pledge that hasn’t been fulfilled, please make arrangements with Amazon Payments or Kickstarter to make your promise happen.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:04 PM

Can't wait to see this!!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Just got the CC details sorted. Very hard to do when you are 30 miles off the coast of Australia.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:26 PM

CM we really appreciate the support, thanks!

Where in Australia are you? Spent a lot of time in Queensland when I worked for Skin Diver Magazine in the early '90's.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 PM

I can't wait to see this!

If you need need any help in the norcal (Sac area and surrounding 90 mile radius) and I am available let me know! I'll love to volunteer my time!

-Robb
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Can more contributions be made? What if i want a blu ray now?
Old 10-18-2012, 6:59 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Can more contributions be made?
Ditto!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 PM

You can pick up a tee shirt at www.AssaultedFilm.com and/or you can make a donation without a reward. We will look at providing some of the Kickstarter awards on the site in the coming days - hats, ladies tees, DVDs and BluRay packages. Understand, the DVDs and BluRays won't be available until the film is finished - your donation will help us get it done faster.

Thank you,

Kris
Old 10-19-2012, 1:45 PM

Here is clip from our dolly test today.

Big thanks to Safer Arms (Chico, CA) staff for providing a range for us to test our equipment.

Please no comments about my form or closing one eye....thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 8:42 PM

Quote:
CM we really appreciate the support, thanks!

Where in Australia are you? Spent a lot of time in Queensland when I worked for Skin Diver Magazine in the early '90's.
Currently off the northern edge of Western Australia. Near Barrow Island. They have very strict gun laws here. The Aussie crew are really divided on gun issues. Some would like to be able to own a hand gun for home defence if anything. Others think that the general public would turn into mass murderers over night.

Depending on how this film turns out, it would be a good view on the ship. Since it has a lot to do with civil rights, and they (the Aussies) give them up without thinking. This really is a nanny state here. Cops are now going to be heavily restricted on the use of tasers. Granted it is over an incident were they tazed a guy over 20 time, even after he was handcuffed. The guy died do to heart failure. Because of the heavily slanted media here, you don't hear if the guy was on drugs or not. Just cops kill suspect.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Here is clip from our dolly test today.

Big thanks to Safer Arms (Chico, CA) staff for providing a range for us to test our equipment.

Please no comments about my form or closing one eye....thanks.
I wish there were easy classes to learn how to do firearms videos in like imovie or final cult pro hah.
Old 10-24-2012, 7:58 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Nice pan effect, Kris. Were you shooting at a mirror in front of the camera?
Old 10-25-2012, 3:03 PM

Yes, this was a test of 1 of 3 axis on a robotic slider dolly. Next week we will post a two axis move.
Old 11-01-2012, 9:28 AM

Awesome effect on your Dolly test Kris! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help as I don't live too far from Chico!

FYI, don't know if you got my Tweet, but I did get the Dead Patriot Films shirt you sent me and wear it to the range all the time! Thank you!

-Robb
Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 AM

Can contributers get more "Dailies"... Even if they are just weeky's... =]
Old 11-01-2012, 3:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRobb View Post
Awesome effect on your Dolly test Kris! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help as I don't live too far from Chico!

FYI, don't know if you got my Tweet, but I did get the Dead Patriot Films shirt you sent me and wear it to the range all the time! Thank you!

-Robb
You got your shirt? I haven't

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_wizzard View Post
You got your shirt? I haven't

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
I got one for helping Kris on twitter. I believe it was most retweets and spreading the word around about the kickstarter to others about the film for the week. My fingers were tired lemme tell ya! lol

Completely different from swag attained through donations via kickstarter.

I do wear it with pride! Plus, people wonder what "Dead Patriot Films" is when I go to the range. Always good to continue putting the word out!

And Kris, I'll be looking forward to shootin' with ya when things slow down for ya!

-Robb

Last edited by BigRobb; 11-01-2012 at 11:53 PM..
Old 11-05-2012, 4:17 PM

Shirts are shipping from the printer later this week. Robb received an earlier edition.

Kris
Old 11-05-2012, 4:19 PM

We will be posting photos from last weekend range day when we return to the studio on Wednesday.

Kris
Old 11-05-2012, 5:48 PM

Was an awesome day at the range. Thanks to everyone for coming out.
Old 11-05-2012, 7:32 PM
In Memoriam
CGN Contributor

It was an interesting and eventful day!
Adam Winkler with his students was there.
We had a great time both shooting and observing the crew at work.

I took a few photos myself:

"Toys"

Shooting at camera

Had a chance to look at the equipment

Got a signed book!

Rest of the pictures are here

Big thanks to Kris and Nabil for organizing this!
Looking forward to see the documentary on TV!
Old 11-05-2012, 7:41 PM

I completely forgot to fill out my shipping address for the goodies!
I finally did it a few days ago, hopefully i didn't miss anything.
Glad we exceeded the budget.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:58 PM

DANG! There was a shoot and I missed it! Been so busy lately I haven't been able to check here as much!

Looks like you folks had a great time!