Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

View Poll Results: What do you think the chances are of a visit by CA DoJ?
0 to 25% 292 82.72%
26 to 50% 20 5.67%
51% to 75% 12 3.40%
76 to 100% 29 8.22%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2018, 6:53 PM

Default Poll: What do you think the chances are of a visit by CA DoJ?

There is a theory that crowd-sourced votes are good predictors of the actual outcome. Therefore, given the number of pending applications for BB-equipped registered AWs, what do you think the chances are of a visit by CA DoJ representatives?

Last edited by aBrowningfan; 06-30-2018 at 6:56 PM..
Old 06-30-2018, 6:56 PM

I'd say the chances are very high if you've just submitted photos of an "illegal" firearm. Other than that, no.
Old 06-30-2018, 6:57 PM

Where is bacon?
Old 06-30-2018, 6:59 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

This is misleading and silly. If you didn't break the law don't expect a visit. What's a visit a "knock and talk"? Or a swat team? A warrant?

This just spreads fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 06-30-2018, 7:58 PM

You need the phrase the question better(or better yet don't ask). DOJ isn't going to send out 10,000 agents on Monday to follow up on every single fishy registration or every single gun in the database that didn't get registered.
Old 06-30-2018, 8:02 PM
Calguns Addict

For me the chance of a visit is almost zero (I've always been featureless) for you who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 06-30-2018, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

I think it is a given that DOJ will be very busy following up on people's screwed up last minute registration attempts. For those that registered correctly, or those that went featureless or fixed mag, no DOJ visit. I wouldn't be shocked if DOJ sent out information request letters to people that purchased AR/AK rifles in the 2014-2016 timeframe, since these were probably almost all BB rifles. The DOJ has plenty of excess DROS money to go on a little fishing expedition.
Old 06-30-2018, 8:34 PM

well since many didn't heed the advice of many others and went ahead and complied with that thing called registration, probably very high.
Old 06-30-2018, 9:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The chance of CA-DOJ visiting me? Zero.

I live in NV. My yet unregistered BBAWs are also in NV. But soon, my BBRAWs are coming back to CA with papers.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 06-30-2018, 9:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
I think it is a given that DOJ will be very busy following up on people's screwed up last minute registration attempts. For those that registered correctly, or those that went featureless or fixed mag, no DOJ visit. I wouldn't be shocked if DOJ sent out information request letters to people that purchased AR/AK rifles in the 2014-2016 timeframe, since these were probably almost all BB rifles. The DOJ has plenty of excess DROS money to go on a little fishing expedition.
I was thinking about this myself. If a rifle is featureless...not much that they can say or do...right?

“The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.”

-Edmund Burke, Speech at Country Meeting of Buckinghamshire, 1784
Old 06-30-2018, 9:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
There is a theory that crowd-sourced votes are good predictors of the actual outcome. Therefore, given the number of pending applications for BB-equipped registered AWs, what do you think the chances are of a visit by CA DoJ representatives?
If you are asking if they are going to visit everyone that registered, then 0%.

If you are asking if they are going to visit "some" people, then 100%.

This poll reminds me of something I would see on CNN. There is no "right" answer, and vague enough to be reworded to be used as propaganda.

edit - Also not a legit CGNs Poll due to no "bacon" option. Results of this poll will not be credible.

Last edited by SoldierLife7; 06-30-2018 at 9:21 PM.. Reason: Bacon
Old 06-30-2018, 9:16 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierLife7 View Post
I was thinking about this myself. If a rifle is featureless...not much that they can say or do...right?
I really doubt they are going to send out or do anything about 2014-2016 rifles. Here is the kicker: they don't know what configuration those rifles are nor do they know if they are still in the State of CA.

That means there is nothing to send to people other than "are you complying with the law?". That's silly. No, they can't put out warrants and "knock and talk" tens and thousands (maybe more) of people. If there is no reason to send out a mailer or email then there is no good reason for knock and talk or warrants or anything.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 06-30-2018, 9:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
I really doubt they are going to send out or do anything about 2014-2016 rifles. Here is the kicker: they don't know what configuration those rifles are nor do they know if they are still in the State of CA.

That means there is nothing to send to people other than "are you complying with the law?". That's silly. No, they can't put out warrants and "knock and talk" tens and thousands (maybe more) of people. If there is no reason to send out a mailer or email then there is no good reason for knock and talk or warrants or anything.
Very true.

I was thinking more like "spot" checks here and there, not massive campaigns. No warrants, just knocking on doors and asking if they can come in and check things out...hoping to catch someone that is gullible.

Old 06-30-2018, 9:24 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Very true.

I was thinking more like "spot" checks here and there, not massive campaigns. No warrants, just knocking on doors and asking if they can come in and check things out...hoping to catch someone that is gullible.
I'd say even that is of almost no concern. They are a gov agency with a tiny police force and they can't afford that liability. The knock and talks we uncovered on CG that were done to members mostly turned out to be legitimate things happening because of gun owners not knowing they were breaking the law. Some of those reasons were legitimate blind spots and I don't think the owners had any idea.
Quote:

Old 06-30-2018, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

The DOJ would never do anything silly.

The average person is pretty good at incriminating themselves. Sending out trolling letters would be cheap and would probably catch a few of the dumber fish out there. Alternatively, they could just sit back and wait for the Legislature to do some cleanup legislation for featureless and some of the "fixed" magazine options. Either way, this is far from over...
Old 06-30-2018, 9:43 PM

ZERO. I don’t own assault weapons. My rifles are featureless or have fixed 10 round magazines.
I’ll be interested to hear how many actually were registered. My guess is less than 20%.
Old 06-30-2018, 9:45 PM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

Doughnut holes.
Old 06-30-2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
ZERO. I don’t own assault weapons. My rifles are featureless or have fixed 10 round magazines.
I’ll be interested to hear how many actually were registered. My guess is less than 20%.
Curious what you think the breakdown would be between featureless conversions and just plain no-comply AWs out of the remaining 80%.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
Curious what you think the breakdown would be between featureless conversions and just plain no-comply AWs out of the remaining 80%.
I think the majority of people are law abiding citizens that have chosen to do the right thing.

Sadly, there will be many that have no idea that the laws changed. They will be the ones “caught” with unregistered BB AWs.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:13 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

I'd say less than 20% of owners of these weapons did something specifically like reg or featureless or whatever because they had no idea what was going on. In 1989, DOJ took our TV ads and published fliers. Since then they have acted like people should be clairvoyant as to their whims of interpretation of the law.

If LGS or local range is any indication very few people know. People that worked at local gun shops (making a living selling guns) didn't know their hat from the *** and gave out information that should make them liable for illegality that resulted. I heard salespeople say things that were not only useless, but incredibly wrong and harmful.

Our legal friends put out some webinars and tried to get the word out but it's very very limited in it's scope. Even supposed you tube friendly CA channels (including some based in CA) didn't really have the best info and it was not optimal to say the least.

This is what is meant by U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez when he said "criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law". I think most people in CA fell into that category. The amount of time I have personally spent trying to navigate this garbage is staggering, and I am no expert to say the least.

All of this is going according to the people who are behind this law's ultimate plan. It's going perfectly for them.
Quote:

Old 06-30-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
5% or less AW, 95% or more Featureless/Fixed Mag/Disassemble.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

your main enemy will be your fellow gun owners, back in the earlier Roberti Roo's AW ban days, if a shooter pulled out a banned AW style rifle at the public range, everybody would stop firing and stare at the guy with the AW and you could hear them talking and wondering if it's legal? or is it registered? sometimes they would call the local Sheriff's Dept to come by and do a check.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:58 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
your main enemy will be your fellow gun owners, back in the earlier Roberti Roo's AW ban days, if a shooter pulled out a banned AW style rifle at the public range, everybody would stop firing and stare at the guy with the AW and you could hear them talking and wondering if it's legal? or is it registered? sometimes they would call the local Sheriff's Dept to come by and do a check.
Yeah, that happened to me more than once, but it never amounted to anything. Never any LEO involved.

I don't think people will be the same way this time because there are just too many variables. I did have a sneaking suspicion that the same people who gave me all kinds of advice at LGS about not registering (back when I was 19 in the year 2000) were the same guys giving me crap about having a registered AW at the range. From 2001-2007 it was "Hey, that's illegal" and after 2007 it was "Hey, where is your BB?".

Don't know what the latest will be, "Hey, where is your fin grip?" "Hey, did I see you just drop a magazine with a tool?".
Quote:

Old 06-30-2018, 11:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Out of how many registrations, we have, what? 4 visits/confiscations/raids?

More chances of setting yourself on fire via fart and static electricity.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:01 AM

It will be interesting to see what happens to those that are declined registration acceptance after today.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:14 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post
Out of how many registrations, we have, what? 4 visits/confiscations/raids?

More chances of setting yourself on fire via fart and static electricity.
Yeah, and none of them had any real merit in terms of portraying an unfair or unjust system or corrupt LEO. I want that case to become a reality too because it means that their entire system is a jeopardy at that point. My bar for reaching that hasn't even been remotely reached yet.

We'll have to pay attention to it and see if anything develops but if you register something that is illegal and then they come and find more illegal things I have no idea what to say. If you made an honest mistake then its understandable but that case just resulted in a rifle confiscated, nothing really too life changing and no criminal charges or other penalties / liabilities.
Quote:

Old 07-01-2018, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
Alternatively, they could just sit back and wait for the Legislature to do some cleanup legislation for featureless and some of the "fixed" magazine options. Either way, this is far from over...
There's a poll for you -- far from over? 100%
I am not your lawyer. I am not giving you or anyone else who reads my posts legal advice. I am making off-the-cuff comments that may or may not be accurate and are personal, not professional, opinion. If you think you need a lawyer please retain a qualified attorney in your jurisdiction. Your local bar association may be able to help if you need a referral.

Two Weeks!: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...p/t-59936.html
Old 07-01-2018, 5:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Any gun owner that rats out a fellow gun owner should rot in hell.
Old 07-01-2018, 5:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Any gun owner that rats out a fellow gun owner should rot in hell.
It's jealousy. Classic human jealousy.

"If I can't have that, neither can you. I'll see that it's taken away from you."

Old 07-01-2018, 6:09 AM

Quote:

I imagine the DOJ will send out "INFORMATIVE" letters that are full of "THREATS AND INNUENDO" to purchasers of stripped semi-auto lower receivers that mentions al the things that can happen to you for an illegal configured semi-auto without mentioning how they can be legal and what the legal configurations are.
Old 07-01-2018, 6:22 AM

Quote:
One day at the range I stepped back off my table and back to my ammo stash on the bench behind me. A fellow steps up to my table and asks "do you mind?" and I said sure go for it as I thought he was just going to do a function check. Then he says "you are going to like this" and he proceeds to dump a full mag in full auto then steps back and boogies off.

Range master yells over the speaker "cease fire, cease fire, no rapid fire on the range, no rapid fire on the range". Then a bunch of guys come jamming out of the shack headed towards me screaming.

They said full auto is not allowed and start demanding to see my firearms. If it was not for the fellow on my right backing up my story about the mysterious guy with the prosthetic arm killing my wife, I mean shooting that full auto, I think the folks at the range would have taken all my firearms and held me over till LE showed up and given them sworn testimony that I fired full auto. With the current assembly of the rainbows at that city LE jurisdiction and probably not allowing the few in that department that are experts on firearms to look at mine first, I think there would have been a good chance I would have stayed a while, and who knows maybe even be convicted as they swear the firearms the took from me fired full auto and they had witnesses to attest to such. Meanwhile my story about the guy with the prosthetic arm is ignored and so I wait for the train derailment on my way to prison...….

Moral of the story is don't let strangers step into your lane, ever ever ever.
Old 07-01-2018, 6:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Now that the registration window is closed, what is stopping DOJ field agents from visiting shooting ranges and walking the lines looking at rifles that are uncased sitting on a shooting bench or in a rack? A featured rifle will be easy to spot...

Then the "compliance inspection" starts. This scenario is far more likely to occur IMO. The DOJ and media's silence on the registration compliance process will turn into headlines about arrest and illegal assault weapons being seized at public shooting ranges...

iTrader Feedback Link
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1885547
Old 07-01-2018, 6:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyraid View Post
well since many didn't heed the advice of many others and went ahead and complied with that thing called registration, probably very high.
And if they don't?
Old 07-01-2018, 7:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The problem is that CA DoJ has no way of knowing if an unregistered AR or AK has been converted to featureless. They may spot check a few people under the pretense that they want to make sure that people are in compliance with the law.
* Augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
* Rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government
Old 07-01-2018, 7:14 AM

0-25% I think about 1 in 1000 will get a visit at some point.
Old 07-01-2018, 7:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptanKrunch View Post
Where is bacon?
Possession of unregistered bacon is a class 1 felony in CA.
Old 07-01-2018, 7:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Registered bacon = 100% HALAL

Old 07-01-2018, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
That's UNDOCUMENTED bacon there buddy!
Old 07-01-2018, 8:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

They can visit all they want but without a warrant I won't answer the door.
Old 07-01-2018, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyraid View Post
DOJ Agent: "This guy complied with the law! Let's raid his house!"

(I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way)