Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Default Don Kates speaking *tonight* in Oakland

Hi all,

Last night, I caught Don Kates speaking at a San Francisco Republican Committee event.

Kates was fascinating to listen to, quite much for the Q&A which was actually longer than his lecture. He is an entertaining fellow when speaking off the cuff, and not afraid to speak his mind. I didn't know any of his political views before, and although he describes himself as a Liberal Democrat (and decries the bogus "liberals" today who he says are actually Social Fascists), he still received a lot of respect and spontaneous applause from the mainly Republican crowd.

If you ever want to get a good laugh, ask Prof. Kates what he thinks about Libertarians. His musings on the court, the NRA, and gun owners, were also incredibly entertaining. Patrick McCullough was in the audience (a packed room at the top of a San Francisco hotel), and we had a good talk afterward.

My only regret was that I didn't bring a video camera to record the session. Apparently their normal videographer is minding her house from an encroaching wildfire and couldn't make it.

The reason why I'm posting is that Kates is speaking again tonight at the Independent Institute in Oakland. I got a flier, and the information is available from their web site. The event costs $15, and Kates will be joined by another speaker. The title of the talk is "What the Second Amendment Means Today."

I will be working (transporting criminals) tonight, so I can't make it, but if anyone else is interested, see this link.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:06 AM

Does he have any plans to come south?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoTA View Post
Does he have any plans to come south?
I bet if you do some footwork with an organization down there and invite him to speak, it could be arranged. I don't know what his current plans are.
Old 07-02-2008, 5:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll be there tonight. I'm pretty sure that hoffmang will be there too.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 07-02-2008, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
I'll be there tonight. I'm pretty sure that hoffmang will be there too.
I anxiously await your reviews on this event!

Old 07-02-2008, 5:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, I'm not much of a reviewer, and I usually fall asleep during lectures, but i'll do my best.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 07-02-2008, 6:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Damn, wish I could make it.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just a quickie review - without too much detail.

The place was crowded. I was pretty suprised to see so many people. There were some Calgunners there. the_quark, hoffmang, tboyer...maybe some others...

hoffmang and I both noticed that Libertarian chicks are hot. Not average, 'hey there's a girl in what's usually a male enviroment "hot"' but, 'wow, that girl would be hot anywhere, hot'.

The wine was from Safeway's bottom shelf.

David Theroux, the Founder and President of the Independent Institute gave the opening and introduced Stephen Halbrook. You may recognize the name. Justice Scalia cited him in the majority opinion in Heller.

Mr. Halbrook gave a nice talk on the origins of the Second Amendment, the evolution of gun rights scholarship and what happens now, post Heller. He seemed positively giddy - like he hasn't come down since the Heller decision.

Mr. Kates was up next. Honestly, I was shocked he was so little. You have to understand, Don Kates is GIANT to me. I've read almost everything he's written regarding guns and gun control. I admire his prose, love his wit - but his head barely cleared the podium.

Kates (also cited in the majority Heller opinion) spoke more about the "antis". He was funny, loud when he wanted to be, opinionated, convincing....what can I say? I'm a fan.

There was a question and answer period following the talk - if you spend anytime in the 2A forum on Calguns, there wasn't anything new that you would have learned. Incorporation of Heller was a big issue.

Anyway, short and sweet review - I'll definitely go back to listen to more folks talk. Events like the one put on by the Independent Institute are the foundation of our Democracy. It was neat to be there.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mr. Kates was up next. Honestly, I was shocked he was so little. You have to understand, Don Kates is GIANT to me. I've read almost everything he's written regarding guns and gun control. I admire his prose, love his wit - but his head barely cleared the podium.

lol...

i had a similar experience when JOHN LOTT gave a talk at the university where i worked.

i was walking the halfway and i turn and the guy in charge of the center that asked lott to give a talk, introduced me to LOTT. tall guy, loud "manly" voice and a firm handshake.

i had talk up wanting to meet with lott with the center's director a few weeks before.

alas, lott talked about his new book, about economics, but while i was there, he did manage to squeeze his other book in and said the famous like "more guns... less crime"...

i gave out a loud chuckle...
Old 07-03-2008, 1:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just a quickie review - without too much detail.

hoffmang and I both noticed that Libertarian chicks are hot. Not average, 'hey there's a girl in what's usually a male enviroment "hot"' but, 'wow, that girl would be hot anywhere, hot'.
I love that jdberger correctly focuses on the important issues...

However, I do agree with him on that and that Kates - even at his "lower" level is a wonderfully opinionated champion for our cause.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon