Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 06-23-2020, 5:52 PM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFBA
Posts: 9,941
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
I'm a patient person. I'll eat the crow now or two years from now. It isn't impossible to get a CCW in L.A. County, however, it is very difficult.... When L.A. County issues to regular people like you and me for minimal good cause I'll happily eat that crow. Good luck and I hope to be proven wrong gents!
Assuming your "minimal" GC is equivalent to the CA CCW GC map's "minimum" GC, you're talking about LA Co going to Dark Green/"virtual" Shall Issue. I'm not arguing that. Heck, even San Diego that went from ~400 CCWs to >4,000 in 2.5 years isn't Dark Green. So we're not in opposition.

If you're familiar with LASD and CCWs, you'll remember how in, IIRC, out of 25 apps audited by the CA State Auditor, something like 24 of them failed, in significant ways like GC, to follow the sheriff's own CCW policy. He was told to either pull the permits of those that did not follow the policy, or change his policy to permit all the ones he's issued (and new apps with same/similar GC). That's why LA is Dark Red: one subcategory of Dark Red is "Corrupt Issue." That's what AV inherited.

All I'm arguing is that AV it taking it to Light Red. When he's calling on "normal" people (non-judges, non-lawyers/DAs/Public Defenders, etc) to apply for CCWs and saying he's added personnel to process apps, to me that's liberalization. But since it isn't clear how much liberalization, I'm conservative: just one color. But when you're talking about a county of 10M, going from Dark Red to Light Red would take LA Co from, IIRC, ~500 CCWs to several thousand (think of all owners of Mom & Pop restaurants, grocery stores, repair shops, gas stations, property managers, franchises, bars, clothing shops, etc making cash deposits). That's what I believe/hope is happening.

If AV should take it further, to Yellow, that would be even better. But since I believe he doesn't want to overwhelm his staff, even if he wants to go to Yellow, I doubt whether he'll do that right away. My *guess* is he'll go Light Red for a year or two as he ramps up the process and works out the kinks in the system before going further. (Again, assuming he even wants to.)

Some cocktail napkin musing: Co of 10M. Let's say 7M over 21 yo. 1% of adults is 70,000. If only 1/2 of 1% of adults are business owners that qualify and apply, that's going from ~500 to 35,000 CCWs in LA Co. Now you can see why I say even if he wants to go further, it's prudent for him to ease into liberalizing issuance lest they get buried in apps.

Just a FYI for readers: Essick in Sonoma Co took office in 2019 Jan. He went to Light Green and then several months later, Dark Green, accepting SD = GC. Yet he still, a year and a half later, has his predecessor's old highly restrictive GC policy on his website (https://www.sonomasheriff.org/ccw/ only "a" and "b" apply to average people). Weird, but I've seen it before. So, just because AV may have a restrictive GC policy posted doesn't necessarily mean that's what's being used to issue/deny CCWs.

__________________
Never mistake being delusional for being optimistic.

240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 06-23-2020 at 6:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 06-24-2020, 4:12 AM
Big Jake's Avatar
Big Jake Big Jake is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much!
Posts: 12,271
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Assuming your "minimal" GC is equivalent to the CA CCW GC map's "minimum" GC, you're talking about LA Co going to Dark Green/"virtual" Shall Issue. I'm not arguing that. Heck, even San Diego that went from ~400 CCWs to >4,000 in 2.5 years isn't Dark Green. So we're not in opposition.

If you're familiar with LASD and CCWs, you'll remember how in, IIRC, out of 25 apps audited by the CA State Auditor, something like 24 of them failed, in significant ways like GC, to follow the sheriff's own CCW policy. He was told to either pull the permits of those that did not follow the policy, or change his policy to permit all the ones he's issued (and new apps with same/similar GC). That's why LA is Dark Red: one subcategory of Dark Red is "Corrupt Issue." That's what AV inherited.

All I'm arguing is that AV it taking it to Light Red. When he's calling on "normal" people (non-judges, non-lawyers/DAs/Public Defenders, etc) to apply for CCWs and saying he's added personnel to process apps, to me that's liberalization. But since it isn't clear how much liberalization, I'm conservative: just one color. But when you're talking about a county of 10M, going from Dark Red to Light Red would take LA Co from, IIRC, ~500 CCWs to several thousand (think of all owners of Mom & Pop restaurants, grocery stores, repair shops, gas stations, property managers, franchises, bars, clothing shops, etc making cash deposits). That's what I believe/hope is happening.

If AV should take it further, to Yellow, that would be even better. But since I believe he doesn't want to overwhelm his staff, even if he wants to go to Yellow, I doubt whether he'll do that right away. My *guess* is he'll go Light Red for a year or two as he ramps up the process and works out the kinks in the system before going further. (Again, assuming he even wants to.)

Some cocktail napkin musing: Co of 10M. Let's say 7M over 21 yo. 1% of adults is 70,000. If only 1/2 of 1% of adults are business owners that qualify and apply, that's going from ~500 to 35,000 CCWs in LA Co. Now you can see why I say even if he wants to go further, it's prudent for him to ease into liberalizing issuance lest they get buried in apps.

Just a FYI for readers: Essick in Sonoma Co took office in 2019 Jan. He went to Light Green and then several months later, Dark Green, accepting SD = GC. Yet he still, a year and a half later, has his predecessor's old highly restrictive GC policy on his website (https://www.sonomasheriff.org/ccw/ only "a" and "b" apply to average people). Weird, but I've seen it before. So, just because AV may have a restrictive GC policy posted doesn't necessarily mean that's what's being used to issue/deny CCWs.


I am not interested in talk. I am interested in results. When/if LASD or LAPD starts issuing CCW permits to regular people like you and I I'll eat that crow. For now it's all wishful thinking and talk. I'll be here so please prove me wrong!
__________________
"Here I Come Again Now Baby, Like A Dog In Heat" - Ted Nugent!
"The Unarmed Man Is Not Just Defensless, He Is Also Contemptable" - Machiavelli!
"Politics Is The Second Oldest Profession. It Bears A Strong Resemblence To The First" - Ronald Reagan!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

Last edited by Big Jake; 06-25-2020 at 4:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 06-24-2020, 8:44 AM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFBA
Posts: 9,941
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
I am not interested in talk. I am interested in results. When/if LASD or LAPD starts issuing CCW permits to regular people like you and I i'll eat that crow. For now it's all wishful thinking and talk. I'll be here so please prove me wrong!
That's not the standard: the standard is whether AV has liberalized issuance. That's all I've ever said AV may be doing. Just taking LACo from "Virtual No Issue" (Dark Red) to "Exceptional Good Cause Required" (Light Red) qualifies as liberalization. Post #52 of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Acc to this comment in an LA Times article, it did and AV said he's going to liberalize CCW issuance!



If someone can track down an online video of that virtual town hall, that would be great. But, even if AV said he'd issue more CCWs, he's flipped back and forth on 2nd A issues before (e.g., closing down gun stores during emergency).
__________________
Never mistake being delusional for being optimistic.

240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 06-24-2020 at 8:47 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 06-24-2020, 10:38 AM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFBA
Posts: 9,941
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Thumbs up

...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffygunguy View Post
The sheriff is live on Facebook right now and a v just said that they are increasing the amount of approvals for CCW and it's expected to go up 400%, and that they have increased staffing to accommodate the influx of applications. Wednesday stop going live on Facebook, I will share the Facebook live link to that video. Sounds like promising news coming directly from AVS mouth..
__________________
Never mistake being delusional for being optimistic.

240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 06-24-2020, 6:44 PM
Big Jake's Avatar
Big Jake Big Jake is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much!
Posts: 12,271
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

__________________
"Here I Come Again Now Baby, Like A Dog In Heat" - Ted Nugent!
"The Unarmed Man Is Not Just Defensless, He Is Also Contemptable" - Machiavelli!
"Politics Is The Second Oldest Profession. It Bears A Strong Resemblence To The First" - Ronald Reagan!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 06-24-2020, 8:10 PM
Notorious's Avatar
Notorious Notorious is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,725
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

2,500 x 400 = 1,000,000 CCWs?

What timeframes would be involved in approving 997,500 new applications, and at the same time rejecting a about 1.5-2x that amount as a conservative estimate to get to 1M approvals?
__________________
Guns! More guns! I need more guns!
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 06-24-2020, 8:38 PM
9Cal_OC's Avatar
9Cal_OC 9Cal_OC is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,465
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
2,500 x 400 = 1,000,000 CCWs?

What timeframes would be involved in approving 997,500 new applications, and at the same time rejecting a about 1.5-2x that amount as a conservative estimate to get to 1M approvals?
2500 x 4 is only 10,000.... out of 10 million residents (a tenth of a percent)

I doubt he has issued 2,500 though.
__________________
Freedom isn't free...
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 06-24-2020, 8:39 PM
Notorious's Avatar
Notorious Notorious is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,725
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

I stand corrected... I zoned out at the 400 and lost all sense of reality...
__________________
Guns! More guns! I need more guns!
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 07-02-2020, 5:21 PM
dark_hatchling dark_hatchling is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 29
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
I'm a patient person. I'll eat the crow now or two years from now. It isn't impossible to get a CCW in L.A. County, however, it is very difficult.
I hope you're not starving, Big Jake. No crow for you...

"L.A. County Board of Supervisors voted on Monday to approve slashing $145 million from the Sheriff’s Department budget...
...As a result, he says he will have to get rid of up to 345 LASD employees, including uniformed deputies."

https://www.foxla.com/news/la-county...artment-budget
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 07-02-2020, 5:23 PM
Stevo818 Stevo818 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_hatchling View Post
I hope you're not starving, Big Jake. No crow for you...

"L.A. County Board of Supervisors voted on Monday to approve slashing $145 million from the Sheriff’s Department budget...
...As a result, he says he will have to get rid of up to 345 LASD employees, including uniformed deputies."

https://www.foxla.com/news/la-county...artment-budget

A whole lot of CCWs could help that budget ! Issue 1 million x approx 150$ or whatever it costs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:35 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2020, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.
Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Tactical Gear Military Boots 5.11 Tactical